The online racing simulator
Superb DK2 support
Hi, just a quick note to say thanks for such a great implementation of DK2 support. It's pretty much the only game I use it for regularly (though I've played a bit of Elite: Dangerous too).

It really is incredibly fluid and adds to the whole gameplay so much.

The only thing missing is "3d" mirror support, it's clear in DK2 that the mirrors are rendered flat and don't take into account your head position. It's the only aspect of the DK2 support that is visually jarring as there's a weird effect where your eyes try to re-focus to "solve" the visual anomaly you see.

Thanks again!

p.s. lack of ghost car support makes taking turns on DK2 with friends less fun than it could be... I'm assuming there's no way but I've searched all over and can't find anything but a mod that stopped working in ~2010.
Quote from Scawen :
Makes me quite angry really with the amount of work I put into this thing, they can't afford even 1 minute a week to reply to a simple question.

I'll keep working on Rift stuff for now because it's good for LFS, even if Oculus people think they are better than everyone else and can ignore developers asking simple questions about their inadequately documented SDK.

Tried ringing their sales line?

Quote from 4rtV4nd3l4y :The only thing missing is "3d" mirror support, it's clear in DK2 that the mirrors are rendered flat and don't take into account your head position. It's the only aspect of the DK2 support that is visually jarring as there's a weird effect where your eyes try to re-focus to "solve" the visual anomaly you see.

Also, quite minorly, the mirrors are in an interesting position - well, one perhaps more useful for racing rather than reversing round corners. Presumably when the head moving mirrors come in it would be possible/easier to have adjustable mirrors? (?).
Quote from duke_toaster :
Also, quite minorly, the mirrors are in an interesting position - well, one perhaps more useful for racing rather than reversing round corners. Presumably when the head moving mirrors come in it would be possible/easier to have adjustable mirrors? (?).

I think perhaps without drawing the car at all in the mirrors, any implementation for "real mirrors" would look weird, no matter how you adjust them.
Broken "Rift Orientation" between F5 and F8
I noticed today that I was still on F5... I just installed F8 and now the reset-view hotkey only changes the distance from the camera sensor, not your orientation to it.

I sit at 45 degrees to the Rift's camera sensor and that worked perfectly in F5, but now the orientation reset option assumes you are always facing the camera. Given that the sensor needs to be around 4-5ft from you this makes the change unusable for me in my room.

Edit: my bad I see this is already reported, I'm on F7 now
Check your linearity settings, and check that all the factors are correct. But maybe take it in another thread? My T500RS set to 1080 is perfectly 1:1 to the onscreen wheel.
I found some shadow bug.
Attached images
lfs_00000068.jpg
Scawen, you mentioned a few times trying to contact Oculus for help and never getting much response.

Did you try and contact one of their dedicated developer relations personal that are on reddit?
For example /u/Philanthropi ?

Someone mentioned your predicament on reddit and he replied with this:

Quote from Philanthropi :
"Thanks - wasn't aware they were trying to get in touch. My email address is super public - callum(at)oculus.com."

Latest SDK 0.4.2 is out, and it has CA fixes, apparently. Thoughts on implementing that?
Quote from BobDog :Scawen, you mentioned a few times trying to contact Oculus for help and never getting much response.

Did you try and contact one of their dedicated developer relations personal that are on reddit?
For example /u/Philanthropi ?

Someone mentioned your predicament on reddit and he replied with this:

Scawen mentioned trying their forums and the Twitter account. I'm not sure he tried a more direct approach.

It pains me a little to see this. It's like mom and dad fighting.
Quote from mrgreen72 :Scawen mentioned trying their forums and the Twitter account. I'm not sure he tried a more direct approach.

It pains me a little to see this. It's like mom and dad fighting.

The email there is [ callum at oculus dot com ]

If Scawen wants to get really direct, fire up SkypeOut and ring +1 (949) 502-2070 - that's the phone number on their website. The great thing about telephones is that it's much ruder to hang up one someone than ignore an email ...
anyone running with 0.4.2 yet?

does everything still work?
You guys should call them and complain until they contact Scawen by themselves
Thanks guys, maybe there's a better way to contact them.

I had always supposed that the so-called "developer forums" were the place to talk about developer things.

Reddit seems a bit obscure and weird really, sure it's not but when you're used to forums, and there's a special section of the "developer forums" to "report issues" etc... what am I supposed to think?

Sorry, I was a bit grumpy the other day. I'm not always so grumpy. Maybe they should write on their developer forums:

If you are an actual developer, don't write here because we will ignore it. This is only for "developers" as in "people who bought a developer kit", not the other kind of developer who actually develops software!

Then it would be a bit more clear.
We still love you, Scawen! :-)

Got my shipping confirmation, this time next week I'm Riftin' and Driftin'! :-D
Quote from adrianstealth :anyone running with 0.4.2 yet?

does everything still work?

Running 0.4.2 now, everything still works including LFS.

Not sure if placebo, but some demos might have slightly sharper image/less chromatic aberration around the mid point now? Far edges are still blurry as ever though.

Regarding Oculus guys, they're generally very nice people from what I've talked to them via Reddit and email. Sure they should pay more attention to the dev forum, but I'd give them a chance for things to calm down.
By the way, still working on the graphical improvements, it turned out quite a bit of restructuring was required and that can be a bit tough to do without breaking things.

But getting close now - you should have an update next week, with the smoother trees and various other objects with transparency (many places you see the harsh, non-antialiased edges of "alpha test" now). This is good for everyone, not only Rift users.
I can not download the test patch, keeps saying the file is invalid. Am I doing something wrong?
Quote from Diebold :I can not download the test patch, keeps saying the file is invalid. Am I doing something wrong?

It probably has something to do with the fact that today the website migrated to a new look\interface and it will be fixed soon. Patience :P
The download link for the patches (https://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6F_TO_6F8.exe) is broken. It says "Invalid file". I'm super excited to try this. Thanks!
Thanks for the info. The files were not in place on the new site. I have added them now.
Scawen, I'm pretty sure someone told you actually about this but... the searcher engine and me... we don't fit together XD

I want to talk about the wing forces. I know it's not the thread, but I didn't want to make a new one
It's known every tyre deformation (position caused by a crash, tyre pressure...) causes his own contact point to be changed.
Why doesn't this happen to the wings? I assume it's all about how to emulate reallity.
I have thought about 3 attached force points in every wing, the 2 sides and middle wing. It's logical a wing compression by a wall hit but not an expasion (some LFS crashes make your wing wider). If you get your wing damaged, those points would move and every grip calculation would be different.
I saw LFS wind, on a stopped car, generates a variable downforce that changes based on wind intensity and direction.
Now, the LFS downforce direction it's represented by a triangle on forces menu. So this would make the game more interesting on 6h races etc

I feel my words are poor in explanation, my english is not so deep... However I hope you all understand what I want to say.
The patch works pretty well, dont have problems with shadows anymore. Good work!!
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG