The online racing simulator
Quote from cogent :Another Point:
I was looking around for DK2 Demos and stuff like that and found something interesting.
"Leap Motion" for the Oculus Rift. It detects Hands and Fingers in the air as you can see in the Video (start @ 0:54 language german). Sure the range is not so much (see @ 3:12 in the Video) but maybe enough to put it at the Virtual / Real wheel and back. Maybe also a little bit to the left or right to use virtual buttons in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FKODr6hFp4

Don't know how good it already is but maybe it is something for the future.
And sorry for my bad englisch.

Leap Motion in LFS can be great, but we need to wait to see if the CV1 will integrate a hand positionning system and/or a suffisant part of the LFS community have a Leap Motion (develop a new functionnality for two persons is a good way to brake the developpement of LFS).
But if both works great (Oculus Rift & Leap Motion), then it could be so cool that Scawen develop Leap Motion support for LFS.
Quote from Scawen :
I don't know what that mouse problem is with your custom resolution. It sounds like some kind of Windows or drivers bug or conflict. Somehow the mouse position isn't reported to LFS when it is in some parts of the screen...? And you say it's only at the bottom right? Do you mean the entire screen is OK except for a square in the bottom right corner? The only thing I can suggest is put your Rift part of the desktop on the other side. So if it is the right side of the desktop, try putting it on the left size of the main screen and see if that makes a difference. Some people could only make it work when the Rift was on the left...

There is a plan to allow head tracking and crosshairs to replace the mouse pointer. I think of this as one key/button to switch from mouse to crosshairs and another key/button for left mouse click. I don't know which patch this will come in though.

here is how i understand the problem. but i am not sure if there is something you can do about it.
http://i.imgur.com/cEasd6E.jpg

headtracking sounds awesome! looking forward to future patchces.
keep up the good work
greetings
mtojay

edit:
nevermind. the fix was as simple as it can get. i just figured out i had to choose the downsampling resolution in the windows settings too. now everything works just fine. just in case if somebody runs in to the same problem
Hey guys. I am new owner of LFS S2 and oculus rift. Experience is very cool. When i driving alone everything is smooth and nice. When i try drive with a bots, picture became tearing to much. What settings are wrong?
Hi Mawgly, thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased it is mainly working well.
The AI drivers can use a lot of CPU power for their physics, and a lot of GPU power to draw them, so either of these could slow down the frame rate. It's hard to know which is the main problem, but if you could tell us details of your CPU and graphics card then maybe someone would have an idea. If the CPU is the problem, you may have better results going online. Your computer does not need to process full detail physics for all the remote drivers when you are online. So if your CPU is limited, that may help. If you press "P" (in single player) to pause LFS and the frame rate is still low, that suggests your graphics card can't handle drawing so many AI cars. Some people should upgrade their graphics card to help with the Rift, and it may not be very expensive compared with the price of a Rift.
New forum and main page (looks awesome)and rift but lfs is still like almost 5 years ago i know wrong topic sorry but i cant play in others games becouse are bad and stupid so i need to motive Developers to do map editor or something..
Hi jujek,

you can motivate the devs by buying the S2 version of the game ;-)
You are right, the main page looks also really good.

To all:
Is there really no possibility to have the image of the screen on two monitors? PC Monitor and Oculus Rift at the same time? As already said I will try a hdmi splitter, but if there maybe another solution that I don't know?

To the onscreen displays:
They look good, but they are maybe to small?
Because of the resolution I can't read the time table at the start/finish line.
I have to look directly at it and go with the head a little bit closer to it.
Do anyone have the same experience?

To the sitting position:
How is the start position of the head made?
A friend tried it yesterday and he told me that the driving position in the car is too deep. I tried it also with the same car and for me it was ok. He is taller than me, maybe is that the problem for him in the position in the racing seat? Can the position of the head be changed in the settings? Will try that later today.

Edit:
@ Mawgly: We drived yesterday with 19 bot's, so all in all there were 20 Cars on track.
It was all ok for us, no diference VS driving alone.
That's only for your information.
Quote from cogent :
To the onscreen displays:
They look good, but they are maybe to small?
Because of the resolution I can't read the time table at the start/finish line.
I have to look directly at it and go with the head a little bit closer to it.
Do anyone have the same experience?

There should be an option to make the interface bigger in View options. I believe you can set the FOV and distance.

Quote from cogent :
To the sitting position:
How is the start position of the head made?
A friend tried it yesterday and he told me that the driving position in the car is too deep. I tried it also with the same car and for me it was ok. I am taller than him, maybe is that the problem for him in the position in the racing seat? Can the position of the head be changed in the settings? Will try that later today.

Press F8 to reset the seat position. If that doesn't work, you can go to Options - Game - F1-F8 and bind a text command "/rift reset" to any of the F-keys.
Hi cogent.

Sorry but there is no way to show LFS on the monitor at the moment. This is because Oculus was forced to choose a screen that is narrow but high (as that was the only suitable screen available) and as a result clone mode cannot be used any more, although that was commonly used on the DK1. An HDMI splitter may work, I am not sure but please let us know the result. I suppose you could create a multiplayer setup on your computer, so start a local host in 2D mode on a window on the monitor, the start another LFS in the Rift and join the local host. [EDIT : Better read Viper's post below]

Many demos use the "direct mode" which does automatically allow the use of the second monitor, but LFS does not support that mode yet and I don't plan to do it very soon as there are many changes to make and that mode is full of bugs (Oculus SDK has many bugs). When the SDK settles I might give it a go.

About the sitting position, when you change driver you must always press F8 again when they have settled in the seat, to adjust for their different height.
An HDMI splitter causes a lot of problems with the rift.

1) It hides the identity of the Rift display so applications can't tell which one to display on.

2) The screen rotations probably won't match that of your monitor.

The easiest, and guaranteed (because I and many others use this already) solution is to use Open Broadcaster Software (https://obsproject.com/) to capture the game.

Download, install and then "preview" the game once it's started.

The framerate can be a bit choppy in the preview window on your monitor but it doesn't effect the Rifts performance.

Now enjoy playing with friends over!
Quote from Scawen :Hi Mawgly, thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased it is mainly working well.
The AI drivers can use a lot of CPU power for their physics, and a lot of GPU power to draw them, so either of these could slow down the frame rate. It's hard to know which is the main problem, but if you could tell us details of your CPU and graphics card then maybe someone would have an idea. If the CPU is the problem, you may have better results going online. Your computer does not need to process full detail physics for all the remote drivers when you are online. So if your CPU is limited, that may help. If you press "P" (in single player) to pause LFS and the frame rate is still low, that suggests your graphics card can't handle drawing so many AI cars. Some people should upgrade their graphics card to help with the Rift, and it may not be very expensive compared with the price of a Rift.

I try with 2 bots and tearing is same as 15 bots. Graphics card is GTX660. Processor is 4 core.
I think it should be enough for no tearing.
Will try online today.

Quote from cogent :
@ Mawgly: We drived yesterday with 19 bot's, so all in all there were 20 Cars on track.
It was all ok for us, no diference VS driving alone.
That's only for your information.

Please post here
1)Printscreen of game video settings
2)Printscreen windows screen settings.
Thanks.
Regarding the newest sdk release which does seem slightly better to me please have a look at this...
As you can see from the Oculus staff at the bottom of this thread page...
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11190&start=200

They say that the chromatic aberration improvement from the new 0.4.2 sdk needs each game re-programming to make use of it. Just a thought.
@AH_Viper:
Thank you so much, that's it :-)
That's what we need, now we can have nice LFS DK2 Rift sessions :-)

@Scawen:
Good idea with the multiplayer setup, I also already thout about that.
But with the Test patch I can't start my host as I normally do at the other PC.
Than I joined with the second PC.
And on the same PC I can't run LFS on Rift and joining in another Window.
But it is posible to join on the PC where I have the Dedicated host running and watch there in 2D.
Maybe better than the two eyes 3D look.
But for know the Open Broadcaster Software seems to be the best way without second PC.

I found now also the settings for the onscreen displays.
Thank you all

@Mawgly:
I will post it later today
Sorry, would appreciate some help

Have installed the .6F install and the patch from the above post.

Have also followed the instructions:

- Oculus Configuration Utility - Set your Rift to extended mode
- Windows Display - use extended desktop mode (not duplicated)
- Confusingly, set the DK2 to "portrait" (meaning rotated) mode in Windows
- Start LFS and click 3D on the View Options Screen
- Select Oculus Rift and click OK
- You should be given the option to exit, ready to restart in Rift mode

HOWEVER when I restart LFS I'm still seeing it on my main monitor, the Rift is still showing my extended desktop...

- Start LFS again after exiting in that way

I've started a race/training and it stays the same...

What am I missing???
Please can you check that the install definitely worked?

So on the entry screen, at the bottom, it says "0.6F8" and not "0.6F".
you can further increase sharpness & quality by setting up a LFS profile in your nvidia/AMD gpu settings control panel

shoot for quality & sharpness

for high fps reduce graphic settings in LFS (I get over 300fps no vsync...but over 120fps should be fine for a fluid experience)
Hey guys I installed the patch and it's on my DK2 but when I go to view settings I can't see much since I don't have head tracking. How can I see enough so that I can click on Oculus Rift?
Thanks!
-Tyler
I got it, nevermind.
-
(TrIpLe M) DELETED by TrIpLe M : bezveze
@Mawgly:
Here are the screens and also a short Video.
Video is .mp4 (72,7MB - 1:03m) and embedded in html5, I have tested it with crome browser.
Not every browser supports it. If you have more than one browser try it with another one if it don't work with the first one. If you can't watch the Video in the browser Download it, click with the right mouse button on it and select Dowload.

http://www.cogent.myds.me/Videos.html
Fantastic experience this, everything working so well. Hugely impressive vr experience. No problems whatsoever.

With my G27 wheel its great. No judder. Great job.

I've played a lot of pc sims but the vr makes a massive difference. When the car drifts, you really feel it.

My only complaint about the game, and its not vr related, is the ai is waaaay too aggressive. But hugely fun all the same.
What do you mean by "how is that even possible" ?

Anything's possible and you should know that if you are a Wizard.

Anyway, it works on my version. What is your setting for "Look function" (at the botton of the view screen) ?
Quote from vitaly_m :
Quote from Flotch :new tracks and cars available here : https://www.lfs.net/shop/licenseselect
This will change your life to play only on Blackwood tracks ... and this will add lots of new cars too ^^ ... not yet the vw I agree, but for this you will need S1 anyway

He said that he had to register again on forum, meaning that he has another account most likely licensed. Now we have 2 messages to delete by moderators here >_<

damned I have uncrypted most part of what was written ... not this one ... my bad

edit : By the way Scawen, where is the awaited patch with beautiful trees and dk2 ?
I plan to release the improved trees test patch tomorrow.

It took a longer time than I expected to program the new alpha system, which works a lot better than the old one. There was quite a mess of code to untangle, which had been built up layer upon layer, each layer depending on data from the layer below it, in a confusing way. The new system is a lot easier to work with.

What we now have is the ability to select (just with a click) if an object could use Alpha (now drawing without writing to the Z buffer) or Alpha Test (the ugly one with jagged edges but no sorting issues) or TEA (Tree Edge Alpha, a new one for LFS which is a combination of Alpha Test and Alpha drawn in two passes, the best choice for many of the trees).

So we took a couple of days going through all the tracks, in normal mode and Rift mode (which gives you a closer look at the quality of pixels and edges) to find all the textures or particular surfaces or objects that needed a change, and I hard coded the changes into LFS so it does that repair when loading the existing tracks.
good to hear things are going well.

good point for backgroung image

Scawen, do you still prefer to not build an official version for DK2 users ? I suppose some would be interested to know it is then "official" and not a test patch
Most of the "tree line" textures now have an Alpha edge too.

But there is no change to those distant background textures as they already had a transparent edge.

I am hoping to release a full official version next week.
This thread is closed

TEST PATCH 0.6F12 (Rift DK2)
(832 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG