The online racing simulator
Sure, I agree.. it's not a movie I would watch now at home, on a DVD rip, but i was entertained in the 3D cinema, and i can't say i wanted my money back.
That's a whole different level to the movies that just rape you in 10 minutes and you want to leave but you don't, hoping it will somehow be worth it at the end, but it never does.
Those are the ones I get severely pissed.
Quote from xaotik :Assuming we're talking about fictional time-travel-as-seen-in-a-given-movie's-universe: in the then future time travel tech would likely exist, and you'd risk them coming back. Not to mention that you'd give off the co-ordinates of your setup to whatever future law-enforcement existed.

not that short a jump send them forwards to around the time the earth is engulfed by the expanding sun

Quote :No need for prepubescent dino-involving daydreams unless you are genetically predisposed for such.

nice........

Quote from Boris Lozac :I have a problem with the phrase 'opinion', because it's beeing missused too much. How can that be an 'opinion' that these rubish films are rubish, it's a fckin fact.

and where pray tell does your amazing common sense factor into this sentence?

Quote from DeadWolfBones :Hint: it's not math.

well...... this could get difficult if we were to veer away from film and were to discuss music

Quote from Boris Lozac :a movie should glue the viewer to the screen and make him stay till the end and ask for more..

ok i cant be bothered to discuss the idiocy of your general point but lets just assume youre right and get to this one
how can it be so hard for you to grasp the idea that a movie that doesnt keep you glued to the screen can absolutely glue someone else to the screen because they have tastes oppinions and life experiences that differ from yours which the movie caters to?

also stop using the word rape in the sense that you do it makes you a terrible vile person (more than usual i mean)
Quote from Shotglass :
how can it be so hard for you to grasp the idea that a movie that doesnt keep you glued to the screen can absolutely glue someone else to the screen because they have tastes oppinions and life experiences that differ from yours which the movie caters to?

I can grasp it. The movie can be about admiring a rainbow for 3 hours, the subjects and tastes doesn't matter, if the director does it right and keeps it flowing good, then starring at a rainbow for 3 hours can become interesting, you know.. It's all about execution. That's all i'm saying, they aren't doing a good job at connecting all those things that they've dreamt/while they were high, and it turns out into a random nightmare for most viewers.

And 'vile', really? Coming from a guy who never puts a single smiley in his posts..
Quote from Shotglass :well...... this could get difficult if we were to veer away from film and were to discuss music

But even in the case of music, there are compositions that have very little to do with the traditional rules of the art that still have plenty of value (to some listeners).
Quote from DevilDare :Of course its CGI. What did you expect?

As I said, I got surprised by it. Might not be a movie I'll watch a second time, but it was well worth the fiver that I paid.

Fiver? Damn, a movie here is almost $13! And don't even get me started on the monumental costs for popcorn and a pop...
Quote from MAGGOT :Fiver? Damn, a movie here is almost $13! And don't even get me started on the monumental costs for popcorn and a pop...

Its usually 6.50, but because it was played upstairs in the smaller room (I actually prefer it though) it was 5.

And same here with snacks to be honest. Thats why we sneak in our own stuff.

As for Boris... Did they not teach you the difference between fact and opinion in school? Come on man...
Damn, I go to work and when I get back I want to relax and read about films and opinions. Then this happens. WTF.

I don't want to discuss anything 'cause I'm tired and with a severe lack of motivation, but just so I'm part of it:

- "if more people had as much common sense as i do, this world would be a great place."
(actually no amount of s can express what I feel about this line)

- I could argue there's a lot of math in just about everything (but specifically movies, if they have anything to do with what happens in photography - I know I suck but I've read stuff )

- I quite liked Unbreakable (agreed on the great atmosphere)

- xaotik's posts are awesome

Thanks, moving on now.
I'm sorry that this is considered offtopic on a forum where huehuehuehueh is funny, and there are threads called "K". I think stuff like this are quality discussions.. And that common sense line is partly joke
Quote from Boris Lozac :it turns out into a random nightmare for most viewers.

ah that must be why so many on imdb seem to like the movie
never realized how popular nightmares were

Quote :And 'vile', really?

yes really

Quote :Coming from a guy who never puts a single smiley in his posts..

clearly a highly relevant thing
better now?
Quote from Boris Lozac :I'm sorry that this is considered offtopic on a forum where huehuehuehueh is funny, and there are threads called "K". I think stuff like this are quality discussions.. And that common sense line is partly joke

Nah, the 'swearing' wasn't about the off-topicness. I think it's nice every now and then. Hell, even my post was almost completely off-topic.

It's actually the subject of the discussion that I find terrifying.
To me the biggest problem with time travel movies are these 2 things. First we assume that there is some right destination or destiny which should not be altered or messed with. Second thing is that we treat our present day as that important destination. Travelling backwards in time is bad because it messes up the events leading to this day but for some reason travelling to tomorrow is never bad even if it messes up the events leading to the day after tomorrow.

Every damn time travel movie follows these two stupid rules which makes all of them basically the same.
Quote from Shotglass :ah that must be why so many on imdb seem to like the movie
never realized how popular nightmares were

Let me introduce you to the "Hated It" section on IMDb, my new favorite thing on internet, it's like chocolate for my soul.

Unbreakable http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217869/reviews?filter=hate

Drive http://www.imdb.com/title/tt07 ... =hate;filter=hate;start=0

Looper http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/reviews?filter=hate

Read just a couple and tell me you find nothing to agree with.. And notice the number of pages with one star comments, not all movies have that.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Let me introduce you to the "Hated It" section on IMDb, my new favorite thing on internet, it's like chocolate for my soul.

Unbreakable http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0217869/reviews?filter=hate

Drive http://www.imdb.com/title/tt07 ... =hate;filter=hate;start=0

Looper http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1276104/reviews?filter=hate

Read just a couple and tell me you find nothing to agree with.. And notice the number of pages with one star comments, not all movies have that.

Yeah, usually only ones that get a lot of positive press (or are actually terrible). People love being reactionary on the internet.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Let me introduce you to the "Hated It" section on IMDb, my new favorite thing on internet, it's like chocolate for my soul.

still having issues with math i see
if a movie has a rating well above 7 almost breaking into the 8s it means most people liked it and not most people found it nightmarish no matter how many miserbale sods like yourself vote it 1 star
Yes, ratings on IMDb are so meaningfull, i gave you the real, honest reviews from people, not damn mass-market ratings, and you're still insulting.. (and i'm 'vile' btw).
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yes, ratings on IMDb are so meaningfull, i gave you the real, honest reviews from people, not damn mass-market ratings, and you're still insulting.. (and i'm 'vile' btw).

How are reviews any more reliable than ratings? They're more informative, certainly, though it's obvious that reactions on either extreme of the spectrum are far more likely to prompt a viewer to write a review than indifference. That's why you always discount a certain percentage of Amazon.com reviews and so on (people love to bitch, especially on the internet). In fact, I'd argue that ratings are more reliable on the whole, since they don't require such an extreme reaction and they're dead easy to do.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Yes, ratings on IMDb are so meaningfull, i gave you the real, honest reviews from people, not damn mass-market ratings

those reviews are very relevant of course
especially once you factor in the fact that all of those movies have about the same number of pages worth of 10 star loved it reviews

Quote :and i'm 'vile' btw

peope who equate looking at a movie they dont like (and probably downloaded for free) to being raped usually are

Avatar http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/reviews?filter=hate

Act of Valor http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1591479/reviews?filter=hate

No Strings Attached http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1411238/reviews?filter=hate

Truly a perfect example of people expressing opinions.

My favourite IMDB section is by far the "parental guide". It could also be used as a great quiz game, e.g. which movie does this refer to?

"The opening dialog is a lengthy and graphic explanation of an extremely vulgar interpretation of Madonna's "Like A Virgin", with many references to sexual promiscuity and the mechanics of sex."

And to get it back on track - I just noticed that one of my favourite movies ever hasn't had a mention: Jesus Christ Superstar. This rendition of the known story is IMO the most humane and touching (not to mention rather realistic). After seeing that it is well worth finding Ted Neeley's final performance of his role as Jesus in a 2010 theatrical rendition, should be on youtube - get tissues ready.
Got dragged to see, against my better judgement, Jack Reacher last night. The reason I was reluctant to see the film was because I have read the books. In the books they describe Jack as......and I quote the vital statistics from the book here....6 foot 5 inches tall, 220-250 lbs and with dirty blond hair, so obviously this screams Tom Cruise to everyone.

So with this in mind and bugging me from the very first trailer, I gave it a shot and it was ok, nothing more, nothing less just ok. The thing that bugged me the most about the film was surprisingly not the difference between the film's Reacher and the novels Reacher but there was too much emotion involved, in the book Reacher never seemed to be that kind of guy.

Throughout the movie, I couldn't help but think that this would have worked as another Mission Impossible or a different movie under different characters, but it just didn't seem to work for me.
If you have read the books then you probably want to give it a wide berth. However if you haven't then on it's own it's your run of the mill, tick the boxes action flick which you can tune out for a few hours. 6/10
Saw End Of Watch Could've been better but still a pretty good watch..
im planning to watch that one....looks like it could be fun...but also boring.
ill see.
Allright. Since this thread is called "recommend a film...", finally after few films there's something I would recommend if you have absolutely nothing else to do for 2,5 hours, just watch Cloud Atlas. Got 6/10 from me. I'm still thinking there must be something I missed and why people love this film much more but can't find anything yet.
But yeah, I'd recommend if you're bored.

Also watched: Looper (5/10), Cabin in the woods (5/10), Ted (5/10), Grey (5/10).
Quote from Intrepid :Moonrise Kingdom - If you like Wes Anderson you'll like this. stellar cast too.

This was really fun. Loved it. PS, if you'e ever seen a Wes Anderson storyboard you'll understand why his movies always move and look a certain way. I think a lot of it comes down to bad drawing!

'Keane' - My partner and I were really getting into Homeland and then I found out about this movie which the main actor (Damian Lewis, playing Brody) previously starred in. Deals with some heavy issues- abduction, mental illness. It's pretty intense and very engaging due to the wonderful acting by Lewis. Recommended.

'The Hobbit' - I came for the CGI and I stayed for the CGI. I almost can't believe just how much work went into it. Weta is at the top of their game. The goblin lair is probably one of the most epic environments- real or virtual, I've experienced in cinema. The goblin king is a great character. A few too many what I call 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull moments' (ratcheting up the 'Epic' to absurd levels).
I got this for a friend at christmas and we watched it last night with a bottle of Dalwhinnie. Great film to get drunk to.
Saw Flight

A lot of ruined potential, great start but then dragged on forever with no drama and useless characthers and scenes. Denzel awesome as always though..

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG