The online racing simulator
Moonrise Kingdom - If you like Wes Anderson you'll like this. stellar cast too.
Looper... mother of god, what has happened to Hollywood, and people.
Hugo.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Looper... mother of god, what has happened to Hollywood, and people.

Looper ruled pretty much.
Let's just leave it at that then, mather of opinions, cause i'm actually mad right now, mad at how bad the movie is.

And WHY the fck have they changed his face ffs, it DOES NOT look more like Willis like that lol, what a waste of make up artists and time every morning lol..
looper is okish if you actively ignore the elephant in the room that it doesnt make any sense not to send people back several millions of years
Quote from Shotglass :looper is okish if you actively ignore the elephant in the room that it doesnt make any sense not to send people back several millions of years

Any time travel movie requires some suspension of disbelief.
This one requires closed eyes. Can't believe that people fall for these directors tripe's, cough*Drive*cough
the issue isnt the usual suspension necessary to accept that time travel works and exists the problem is you also need suspension of disbelief to accept the motivation of the characters involved which seems to be a thing that plagues recent time travel movies
in looper it makes no sense for them to send people back 30 years instead of lets say 5 billion
The time travel done AWFUL is the least of this film's problems..
Spoilers might follow.

Quote from Shotglass :in looper it makes no sense for them to send people back 30 years instead of lets say 5 billion

The only thing I could possibly think of is that possibilities probably seemed more controllable when using the near past. Sending them too far back might change things too much, thus annulling the lifestyle the gangsters did this to preserve in the first place. Or perhaps exactly by doing this 30 year loop they figured it ensured the aforementioned lifestyle. Also the method of time-travel is not even really touched upon, so maybe the magic elves powering it could only do up to 30 years after licking the blue out of a rainbow; and we all know that the blue spectrum is horribly difficult to preserve.

On a different note I liked the way the near future was depicted in that movie. Instead of all flamboyant or blatantly-cliched-copy-of-Bladerunner it was just shitty and half-assed, pretty much like I expect the near future to be - the solar power mods for the "old" cars were great as was the more obvious contrast between social classes and the tech available. Also I liked the lack of pyrotechnics for the time-travel sequences, a movie cliche that has to die.

In general I'd say the flow of the movie was very comic-book like - which is not a bad thing if you like comic books.
I didn't like that Life of Pi too much. The story wasn't very good imo, though the moral of it might've been good.
Also when i watched it, i immedieately knew most of it is CGI, so that kept distracting me the whole time.
Good potential wasted.
Quote from Kid222 :I didn't like that Life of Pi too much. The story wasn't very good imo, though the moral of it might've been good.
Also when i watched it, i immedieately knew most of it is CGI, so that kept distracting me the whole time.
Good potential wasted.

Of course its CGI. What did you expect?

As I said, I got surprised by it. Might not be a movie I'll watch a second time, but it was well worth the fiver that I paid.
Quote from DevilDare :Of course its CGI. What did you expect?

It didn't surprise me much but it always distracts me in movies with real human actors, some sort of degeneration, which works like "Hah, a tiger! *observes appearance and behaviour* Meh, it's computer animation." and half of the movie is gone. Sucks to be me.
Bro I got some bad news... I dont think you are going to be enjoying a lot of new movies these days then.
Just watched Pitch Perfect. Damn to the recommending it, because I enjoyed a girly movie.
The new Hobbit movie - It's ok I guess, but I think 3 movies of one book is a little overkill. Seems like they are just going to waste time with endless fighting sequences. Not that I have anything against that - but it's getting a little bit borring at the end of the movie IMO!
Quote from The Very End :The new Hobbit movie - It's ok I guess, but I think 3 movies of one book is a little overkill. Seems like they are just going to waste time with endless fighting sequences. Not that I have anything against that - but it's getting a little bit borring at the end of the movie IMO!

I think if you make a film for Hobbit fans then you need the length. If you ever read a book you do need more than 2 hours to portray in film. If you've read the book then no matter how good the movie is you've always got the thing in the back of your brain going "missed that bit... that's bits different etc...."

Of course if it's for the mass market you're correct.
Quote from xaotik :The only thing I could possibly think of is that possibilities probably seemed more controllable when using the near past. Sending them too far back might change things too much, thus annulling the lifestyle the gangsters did this to preserve in the first place.

i dont really see how sending someone back into the jaws of a trex could be particularly dangerous to the timeline but fair enough theres an even simpler solution... send them forwards in time

Quote :Also the method of time-travel is not even really touched upon, so maybe the magic elves powering it could only do up to 30 years after licking the blue out of a rainbow; and we all know that the blue spectrum is horribly difficult to preserve.

if that were their intention i imagine they would have pointed that out somewhere in the movie to fill in that gaping logical flaw
Quote from Shotglass :i dont really see how sending someone back into the jaws of a trex could be particularly dangerous to the timeline but fair enough theres an even simpler solution... send them forwards in time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder

And time travel to the future is rarely possible in fiction, for whatever reason (there are usually plenty of justifications, but the main reason is that it's more fun to send characters back into a known past). Anyway, sending them into the future here would be unpredictable, obviously.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder

"an apparently fascist candidate, Deutscher"
bradbury is such an amazing writer........

Quote :And time travel to the future is rarely possible in fiction, for whatever reason

which is completely nonsensical as most time travel stories end with the characters traveling forwards in time back to where the came from

Quote :Anyway, sending them into the future here would be unpredictable, obviously.

maybe but safely unpredictable as it couldnt possibly alter the past timeline
also sending them forwards far enough for them to be engulfed by the expanding sun should be fairly safe for all timelines

while were poking holes into the time travel thing the whole concept of 'time travel will be invented in 30 years' is a bit stange
to me the only logical way for time travel to be invented is the hitchiker way where time travel was invented simultaneously in all periods of time
Time travel in films never makes sense. The very idea of being able to send someone back to change the events which give you cause to send someone back is just completely ludicrous. Even if you could send someone back, failure is inevitable, because past events are past events- you know you won't visit yourself as a child with proof of time travel, because you would remember that.
The "alternate realities" thing is of no use if you can only be conscious of one, as we are, but in the case of Terminator, how can there be a universe where the clueless Sarah Connor is killed by something that was never sent back in time? But more importantly, what use is that to the machines that send the terminator back? None.
In fact, the most disturbing part about time travel is the way that things become so inevitable. Events in the past cannot be changed, and unless we have some weird egotistical belief that we are at the "edge" of time and the universe is being played whilst god holds the record button, then this time is, from any future perspective, the past too. So the coming 10 minutes are as unalterable as the previous 10, and everything we ever do has already been done and is perpetually being done, the universe is simultaneously at every single moment past and present, and nothing can be changed. Which I find depressing.

/xmas random rant
Quote from Bose321 :Just watched "End of Watch". Great funny and slightly emotional movie.

Is pretty good. Think I may have cried just a tad at the end.
Lawless. Based on a true story. Reminds me of the UnderBelly series.

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG