The online racing simulator
Dust To Glory - awesome film
Freedom Fighters.

Quite moving story, actually. It's based on real life events. There's a book that was made and I'll be buying that and reading it, too.
If this title has been posted before, see it as acknowledgment that it really is a good film.

Seven Pounds.

Yes, I cried a little.
Chtorr, tribbles and belts
Martian Child
written by David Gerrold of Chtorr and Tribbles fame the basic premise is one that could make for either a supasweet ultraweepy hollywood movie or just ballgrinding painfulness, but luckily it threads the fine line. It's light without being (too) shallow and heartwarming without being unbearable.

Redbelt
Another decent movie from the pen of David Mamet (watch Glengarry Glen Ross if you haven't already ). This movie features great writing without being a great film. It left me with a good feeling despite being aware it's far from being flawless.
Slumdog Millionare

FFS, it deserved those oscars rightfully, fantastic film!

Also, Valkyrie..
Even if it's some years ago : Donnie Darko. Simply a great mindfukc of a movie. Still trying to figure out what it's really all about. I advice people to see it if you want a fresh movie experience. Might aswell look for it on IMDB.com.
You don't mess with the Zohan!
Quote from Gills4life :You don't mess with the Zohan!

Basically a really bad movie... but i sooo bloody loved it!
I think it's a fantastic movie! Made me laugh loads.
Quote from Gills4life :I think it's a fantastic movie! Made me laugh loads.

Yes, same here! It's simply awesome how he is hitting the other guys mom, and all the old ladies in the barber shop... LOL! Well, i thought the whole movie was great fun to watch!

However, if it's not somebodies kind of humor, i can only imagine how bad of a movie it will be for those. Not like i'd really care tho...
Saw 'Botched' at a mates a little while ago.

Good comedy/horror
Quote from The Very End :Even if it's some years ago : Donnie Darko.

Yep and watch the theatrical version not the director's cut (which is only for completists)

Since we are talking about Kelly, for those of you who also happen to like Philip K. Dick, I recommend Southland Tales.
Southland Tales is hilarious and awful and a total spectacle and possibly brilliant. Pretty sure I never want to watch it again, though.
I love/d Donnie Darko, but Southland tales was a terrible, terrible film.
Quote from NightShift :Yep and watch the theatrical version not the director's cut (which is only for completists)

Since we are talking about Kelly, for those of you who also happen to like Philip K. Dick, I recommend Southland Tales.

Why oh WHY have so many crap flms been made out of Phillip K Dicks' books? I can think of lots of "Average" films...Total Recall, Minority Report, and the above mentioned Southland Tales...but only ONE true classic! (Absolutely NO prizes for guessing which one! )
Gran Torino, it's a little bit slow and some of the acting is a bit crap (not Clint who is superb as always), but the story is good and the main character (Walt Kowalski) is interesting and scary as ****.

http://trailerblogger.files.wo ... torino-clint-eastwood.jpg
Talking of Phillip K Dick, A scanner darkly was a terrible film too.
Big Man Japan
(For your daily dose of Japanese weirdness)

Bad Taste
(For your daily dose of Kiwi weirdness)
Also Peter Jackson's most significant early film and an hilarious low budget gore-fest!
Bad taste is like the worst movie I have ever watched
But I'll admit it was great for a laught.
Quote from Bladerunner :Why oh WHY have so many crap flms been made out of Phillip K Dicks' books? I can think of lots of "Average" films...Total Recall, Minority Report, and the above mentioned Southland Tales...but only ONE true classic! (Absolutely NO prizes for guessing which one! )

Well most of his books are crap but that's not the reason of course only a handful are truly great books, and about the classic you're talking about, the plot is entirely different from the book and only some of the names and some very general concepts have been kept intact.

What I find ironic is that BR visually defined the aesthetics of the Cyberpunk era, and eventually got labeled within that movement despite having been released some time before the genre-defining Neuromancer.

And while certainly (the true) Cyberpunk had something in common with PKD's own way to see things, it's certainly the product of another generation. Even more ironicly, BR is also quite one of the few 'Cyberpunk' movie that isn't completely worthless.

IMO Total Recall and Minority Report are just dull blockbusters. Southland Tales in some way captures the crazied, paranoid, half-mystic vision of the late PKD, think about Valis if you've read that. In artistic terms you could say PKD is a bit like the EM Forster of the US SF, he was never truly out of the 50s and 60s (and their pulp) and never really into the 70s (and into social SF) - he stayed that quirky writer, churning out stories day after day, in his own personal, flawed style. So human! If I had a time machine I'd go pay him a visit just to say bye and maybe drink something together

Back to the point, Kelly really deserves a big big applause for doing that film. He could have capitalized on the Donnie Darko success, instead he moved on and made something completely different.

It's the kind of courage you rarely see among moviemakers. Dollar is a god and king.

ST is not everybody's cup of tea and could never be, that's why I had put that premise about PKD before my recommendation

PS: sorry for the long post I feel chatty tonight!
Quote :Originally Posted by Danowat
Talking of Phillip K Dick, A scanner darkly was a terrible film too.

The film version of Scanner is very close to the book as far as I can remember- I wouldn't be surprised if it was almost a scene by scene re-enactment. I really enjoyed both so I'm not complaining.

I'm still waiting for some film adaptions of some of Neal Stephenson's books. I've read 'The Diamond Age' a few times and I always come away thinking it would make a great movie, especially with someone like Spielberg at the helm, although I lost a lot of faith in him as a director since his version of War of the Worlds.

Southland Tales sounds interesting, will surely hunt it down.

PS, I've always loved PKD's 'God in the trash' theme- that the miraculous could really be disguised as an old can hiding in an alleyway somewhere- I think in VALIS there's a great line or two where one of his characters talks about that. I made a short animation in 3D last year loosely PKD inspired around that image.

PSS, MataGyula- BenX sounds like it's worth checking out as well
Southland Tales is not in any way based on any of PKD's books/stories.

Saw Coraline last night. One of the best film experiences I've had in a while. Incredible craftsmanship and artistry.

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG