The online racing simulator
Quote from ADX.14 :You can count me in Timo. It's in my collection.

Ah nice and what do you think about the movie? quite good right?
The Blind Side quite good, but not sure is it worthy the Oscar nomination..
Quote from benjimc :blindness... All i can say is wow. Watch that movie!
Quote from danowat :agreed, brilliant film.

Quote from de souza :waiting to finish the book to watch that one.

Done and done. Great stuff! Although...

(I know this is not the "recommend a book" thread and if you're not interested in books you might want to skip to the next post. :tilt

...It just doesn't do justice to Saramago's book. And I'm not saying "oh they changed that part in the movie, how could they?!"... I'm saying: what that old man can do with words is simply out of this world, true genius. There so much to be had in those pages!
Surely there's translations for lots of languages, but I wish you guys could read it in Portuguese... by his own Portuguese, as himself asks.
Haha, that's a coincidence, I picked up that book about a week ago. I decided the idea sounded good, but it was the worst translation possible. I can imagine a Portuguese guy loving this book, deciding to translate it...but not knowing how to write in English. I'm afraid it was absolutely hilarious!

Maybe I should learn Portuguese? I'm sure I'll watch the film at some point, even if I don't read the book. And there must be some better translations around. Now I've got something to search for.
Quote from Timo1992 :Ah nice and what do you think about the movie? quite good right?

I can describe the movie such as "shock therapy". Mesmerizing one..
Quote from Timdpr :Haha, that's a coincidence, I picked up that book about a week ago. I decided the idea sounded good, but it was the worst translation possible. I can imagine a Portuguese guy loving this book, deciding to translate it...but not knowing how to write in English. I'm afraid it was absolutely hilarious!

Maybe I should learn Portuguese? I'm sure I'll watch the film at some point, even if I don't read the book. And there must be some better translations around. Now I've got something to search for.

Did you get the version translated by Giovanni Pontiero? He died in 97, but is still considered one of the best translators of Saramago and other Portuguese-speaking authors to English.
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :Did you get the version translated by Giovanni Pontiero? He died in 97, but is still considered one of the best translators of Saramago and other Portuguese-speaking authors to English.

Obviously not! Cheers, I'll get his version. I've got so much stuff to read though, I don't know when I'll get round to it.
Finally managed to catch Avatar.....

Wowzers, TBH, the story pretty much passed me by, I was in awe of the special effects, just wow, unbelievable.

Must get round to seeing it again so I can see it without the wow factor and comment a bit more on the story and characters.
Quote from ADX.14 :I can describe the movie such as "shock therapy". Mesmerizing one..

Indeed man
i was like 14 or 15 when i saw it the first time, was really scared
Quote from danowat :
Must get round to seeing it again so I can see it without the wow factor and comment a bit more on the story and characters.

Don't do it Dan! Without the 3D/IMAX experience to prop it up there's nothing there worth commenting on.

I watched it again yesterday on the computer. I had to find out if i was missing something after being less than impressed when i saw it at the cinema, and had to turn it off after an hour. As i suspected earlier in this thread, without the cinema experience Avatar is lightweight, cliched and only fit for 8-16 year olds. How it's become the biggest grossing film ever is completely beyond me. (Then again i said exactly the same about the dreadful Titanic)

Even the effects don't really hold up that well on a small screen. The creatures tend to look like nothing more than you've seen a thousand times before in you favorite games cut scenes. And the environment looks like Far Cry's wooded/jungle environments liberally showered with whatever substances glow under UV lights.

I can't believe this is by the same guy that brought us Aliens + T1/T2. With the obscene budget involved with Avatar you would have thought Cameron could have paid someone to write a decent story and dialogue.

I promise that's my last word on Avatar

Anyhow..moving on....

I was recommended Mesrine: L'instinct de mort and the second part Mesrine - L'ennemi public n° 1 about the French gangster Jacques Mesrine.

I'm not a huge fan of French films (I can count the good French films I've seen in my life on one hand... well, three fingers tbh ) and had never heard of Jacques Mesrine before, so i had no idea what to expect, but i found it pretty engrossing and watched the second part straight after part one.

Not knowing anything about the subject probably took something away from the film(s) for me, but as a lover of the gangster genre i found it to be a pretty entertaining 4 hours. Definitely worth checking out if your into gangster movies.
Probably give it an 8/10 for the first film and a 6.5/10 for the second (it looses half a point for the incredibly strung out finale)
Quote from The Moose :
I can't believe this is by the same guy that brought us Aliens + T1/T2.

I've no bone to pick with Aliens, but T2 only worked for me the first time I saw it. At the time I thought that no movie would be able to top it- it was 'awesome'.

A couple of days later my parents bought Silence of the lambs home on VHS. I begain to watch but after about 5 minutes I turned the movie off, as no movie could possibly compete with T2! Anyway I gave 'Lambs' another shot later on that night and totally forgot about T2 after about the first hour. The next day I kept thinking how shallow T2 was as a movie experience compared to something like Silence of the Lambs and how dumb I was to raise it to such an inflated level.

Long story short... erm... T2 ain't so great.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Moose, check out Un Prophete as well.

Seen it

Very good indeed, highly recommended 8.5/10

EDIT:- Should have been added to my "Top films i watched in 2009" post from earlier in the thread.
Quote from Electrik Kar :Long story short... erm... T2 ain't so great.

..It's certainly not as good as T1, but it's still a very solid action flick that i still whip out for a watch a couple of times a year and enjoy every time. I sure as hell wont be able to say the same about Avatar which i will never watch again in my life.

I cant really compare it to 'Silence' as they are totally different films. That's a fantastic thriller and T2 is a popcorn action movie. Not really a fair comparison. I like them both equally for different reasons.
Quote from Electrik Kar :

Long story short... erm... T2 ain't so great.

Omg people, what are you drinking... Can action movie get any better then T2?
Quote from The Moose :
I cant really compare it to 'Silence' as they are totally different films. That's a fantastic thriller and T2 is a popcorn action movie.

Yeah. It's just that when I think of T2 I always think of it within that particular experience.. how surprised I was to learn that the value of something could change so radically once you're presented with new information.
Quote :

Omg people, what are you drinking... Can action movie get any better then T2?

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything that really stands out. Maybe I'm not an action movie person. I loved Die Hard 3 (or was it 4?) - the one where the car is speeding through the park to stop a bomb going off?

PS... Blues Brothers!
Quote from Electrik Kar :T2 ain't so great.

its pretty fun when you watch it for the plot holes
if you accept that the time traveling deliberately doesnt make any sense whatsoever and focus on the large number of ways in which it doesnt the whole thing becomes all that more enjoyable
and on top of that its a flawless action flick
I wouldn't call it a 'flick'.. That sounds so... derogatory, like, i would call "Transformers" a flick, but not T2.. If you do not concentrate your whole energy in the main story itself, you can see that there is some serious acting there, like serious, there's no cheap "i got a bullet with your name on it", or... "i didn't signed up for this shiiiyaaat" type of comments.. It's just so convincing, the 'chemistry' beatwen Arnold and the rest of the cast, the dialogs, the still amazing special effects... there just haven't been an action film worthy of it since.. or dare i say, movie in general..
Quote from Boris Lozac :there just haven't been an action film worthy of it since.. or dare i say, movie in general..

Have you seen.. Silence of the Lambs?
You and your Lambs Offcourse i have.. Ok, i won't exagerate and say T2 is the best movie of all time, it's up there IMO, but it's the best action film by far..
keep rambling on about t2 but it wont change the fact that the most enjoyable arnold movie will forever be hercules in new york
Quote from Shotglass :keep rambling on about t2 but it wont change the fact that the most enjoyable arnold movie will forever be hercules in new york

Meet Joe Black

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG