The online racing simulator
DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
Just wondering if anyone else is playing the Arma 2 DayZ mod (zombie mod)

I've just bought the Combined Operations pack to get Arma 2 Full and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. You do need to atleast have Arma 2: OA legally as a pirated copy will not work.

Here is a video if anyone doesn't know what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOB7YGgREFg

So does anyone else play it?

http://www.dayzmod.com/
The zombies run and zigzag way too fast, other than that it looks great. They should just slow down the zombies by half, and possibly just add more of them.
Quote from Matrixi :The zombies run and zigzag way too fast, other than that it looks great. They should just slow down the zombies by half, and possibly just add more of them.

Yeah I get what you mean, however the Arma 2 engine cannot support more than a certain amount of AI, so I think they won't be able to add more.

But they do run too fast lol, hopefully they slow them down a bit.
rathr then spawn Mor tweak the respawn...
Imagine the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games played in that format!
Quote from Crashgate3 :Imagine the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games played in that format!

Crashgate please... S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are great just the way they are in every possible aspect and they shouldn't be changed in any way. Okay, maybe not in every possible aspect, 'cos they could use some optimisation... (high draw distance makes it pretty slow on non-high-end PCs)
It's Alpha, It's buggy, the servers are a pain in the backside to join at the moment... and it's the most fun i've had in many years of gaming.

Open world, sandbbox survival with Zombies...just perfect.

The fact that Bohemia are going to include this as part of ArmA CO in the next patch says it all. It should get some serious polishing in the near future.
Quote from matijapkc :Crashgate please... S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are great just the way they are in every possible aspect and they shouldn't be changed in any way. Okay, maybe not in every possible aspect, 'cos they could use some optimisation... (high draw distance makes it pretty slow on non-high-end PCs)

I have only played the first STALKER game and it is not great the way it is. It would have been great the way it was meant to be which is more free roaming like this mod.
Quote from The Moose :It's Alpha, It's buggy, the servers are a pain in the backside to join at the moment... and it's the most fun i've had in many years of gaming.

Open world, sandbbox survival with Zombies...just perfect.

The fact that Bohemia are going to include this as part of ArmA CO in the next patch says it all. It should get some serious polishing in the near future.

I've barely started playing it tbh, when I was playing last night it was pitch black and raining lol.. I threw out some flares but they didn't help much

Atm I don't have a clue where I am on the map lol
This looks very cool indeed, will look into this over the weekend
DayZ is amazing, now why aren't more games this good?
Soo to everyone who plays, do you play through Steam or just using the Retail copy?

Does anyone want to make a LFS Group? Only problem is that not everyone is from the same country, so we'd have to play on a EU server which might be laggy for some people?
Quote from sil3ntwar :I have only played the first STALKER game and it is not great the way it is. It would have been great the way it was meant to be which is more free roaming like this mod.

Sorry to go offtopic again, I'll stop after this post.
You can roam where you want (there are two large parts, you have to unlock one IIRC, but once you do you are free) and whenever you want.
DayZ is great!

Been playing it awhile now, and while the sheer number of players is a problem for servers to handle, once you're in the balance is great and the gameplay is just great. The PvP aspect really make the game, imo. If there'd be only the Zeds it would get boring since the Zeds are so easy to handle.
They never catch up to you in the open, they run exactly as fast as you. So as long as you don't bump into anything you're fine. Once you are inside a building they are forced to walk, so our groups usual method of clearing a town is to run through the town, gather up all the Zeds in the area and run inside, picking them off in the doorway. All you need is a backpack full of shotgunshells. Then the town is Zed-free for a few minutes. In that period all you need to worry about are other players picking you off with a sniperrifle.
#16 - troy
My teammate and I tend to play dayz in the evening, if you're searching for some fellow zombie killers join us on ts: ukct dot net 9988
Quote from troy :My teammate and I tend to play dayz in the evening, if you're searching for some fellow zombie killers join us on ts: ukct dot net 9988

Yay..didn't know you were DayZ players! Got any morphine? Im stuck in a barn with broken legs

I'll give you a shout later
Quote from The Moose :Open world, sandbbox survival with Zombies

Open world maybe but sandbox survival game? What sandbox elements does it have? What's the long term goal?

To me it sounds like it is just an fps minecraft without crafting or building.
That's pretty much what it is but it's also genuinely scary as balls.
Quote from Hyperactive :Open world maybe but sandbox survival game? What sandbox elements does it have? What's the long term goal?

I guess its down to how you describe sandbox.
I've always gone with this defininiton

What does Sandbox mean?
Sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.

DayZ has no real goal apart from surviving. You are free achieve that in whatever way you see fit with whatever tools you can find, on any part of the map that you like. No rules, no restrictions. Pretty much sums up a sandbox game to me.
I've always thought sandbox games are about free roaming and freedom to do so all the time and anywhere but also about creativity with certain tools and game mechanics that support that.

I'd guess it is just the definition then. I've never thought games like fallout online or day-z as sandbox games because they lack the game mechanics and creativity tools. But then again maybe I'm mixing sandbox games and world building games...
Been looking at this since I saw it a few weeks ago, but I've gotta get ArmaII: CO first.

As it's not on sale, and frankly I don't have a lot of time to play, is it really worth it? i.e. Am I going to shell out 24GBP and get a decent amount of play time out of it? Or is it more of a play once and then never again?
Quote from the_angry_angel :Been looking at this since I saw it a few weeks ago, but I've gotta get ArmaII: CO first.

As it's not on sale, and frankly I don't have a lot of time to play, is it really worth it? i.e. Am I going to shell out 24GBP and get a decent amount of play time out of it? Or is it more of a play once and then never again?

I got my copy of Arma 2 + Arma 2:CO off Amazon US, was about £9 as it was onsale on the US store, for digital download.

Tbh I haven't played it since but that's mainly down to my PC struggling to play it, and having no one to play it with.
#24 - troy
I'm usually not into these types of games, more of a sports guy, but I never looked back since dishing out some cash for it. It is frustrating but it's just the right amount of frustration to make you keep coming back while telling yourself "this time I'll do it differently" just to fail the exact same way you did the past 10 times.
IMO the worst is when you gather plenty of supplies (I usually get 3-4 full canteens and a lot of food) and set out to finally gather some good weapons and military goods, just to be lit up by some camper and have to start all over again.

DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG