The online racing simulator
DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
#26 - Uke
Started playing a few days ago. Even tho starting without a gun can be frustrating I had no problems hitting up a local barn close to where I spawned.

I then went to cherno and replaced my enfield with an AK. Now I'm preparing for a looting trip to the airfield close to the coast.

Already got into a firefight. I was going up the stairs in a firestation when someone started emptying his macarov magazine on me. He missed a couple of times and then I took a percise shot on him with the enfield.
Had a 45 min blast just now, maybe I was very unlucky, but everywhere I went was completely bone dry and devoid of anything except empty cans and empty bottles.

Spawned at a lighthouse, I visited and ran away from a heavily infested village, hit up a manufacturing establishment and found nothing, and then ran away again after a billion zombies swarmed in, found a farm building that I couldn't get into. The outside bog door opened though. Nothing but empty cans that I couldn't pick up. Found another small industrial plant in the middle of a forested area and only found some empty bottles and 1 mag of ammo - which was useless without a weapon, then got trapped (which was stupid).

Was I just unlucky or is that just how it goes sometimes? Was I likely to have just been following behind someone?

It seems like its sometimes in your favour to just cheese it in, rather than becareful - based on the behaviour of the spawning?
#28 - troy
Everybody starts near the coast, so don't expect to find plenty of loot there. Usually the two big cities (chernogorsk, elekrovadosk) got something for you, but it's risky since a lot of people run around there. Try finding some matches, a hatchet, a knife and a water bottle then you should be ready to survive longer distances into the country (which is much safer player wise).
#29 - Uke
Quote from troy : Try finding some matches, a hatchet, a knife and a water bottle then you should be ready to survive longer distances into the country (which is much safer player wise).

That being said, what would be an ideal place to go looking for matches? I'm lower than 4k on blood and desperatlely need to cook some meat.
#30 - troy
Quote from Uke :That being said, what would be an ideal place to go looking for matches? I'm lower than 4k on blood and desperatlely need to cook some meat.

You need a bit of luck I guess, took me a while too to find matches, a good place to start would probably be chernogorsk there are some apartment blocks and a hospital near the big silos. That's where I geared up to get away from the beach, the forest is close too so you should be in relative safety in a few steps if you encounter bandits.

http://www.maplib.net/fullmap.php?id=14237
Attached images
cherno.JPG
If you're low on blood it's best to find someone to help you get a blood transfusion. You can easily find blood packs at hospitals, but players tend to hang around there.

I've been playing the game for a few weeks, my username is "Mess is Law" and at the moment me and my mates have a very good collection of items. My friends found a camp that had 3 tents, 5 vehicles and loads of very rare items, including 6 night vision goggles and two British 50.cal sniper rifles, after they looted it the server went offline and it's not come back yet, so we suspect it was the admin or server owners camp. We tend to play on the Seattle servers, at the moment we are hunting players, it's easier than looting rare items yourself but it does attract a fair bit of attention. Yesterday some guy came looking for us and ended up standing about 2 feet in front of my mate without realising, that is until my other friend up on the hill unloaded a few rounds from is M249 Saw into his chest.

So I'm loving the mod, just surviving is difficult enough, especially if you're on your own, so I suggest you find some friends to play with you. We have a group of about 7 people playing.
Spawned in debug plains, been running east south-east for and hour and half with no signs of life.
#34 - Uke
Quote from troy :You need a bit of luck I guess, took me a while too to find matches, a good place to start would probably be chernogorsk there are some apartment blocks and a hospital near the big silos. That's where I geared up to get away from the beach, the forest is close too so you should be in relative safety in a few steps if you encounter bandits.

http://www.maplib.net/fullmap.php?id=14237

Thanks for the tip. I'm currently around the private airstrip so it shouldn't even be that long of a trip.
Try #1: Walk, get killed by zombies
Try #2: Walk around, find house, get stuff, get killed by another player who saw me there.
Try #5?: Find car, take hitchhikers, kill hitchhikers.

This is awesome.
Do you start with a gun? Because I saw some videos and they were given a revolver at the start. But I just started the game and I have absolutely nothing.
They removed spawning with a gun in the latest(?) patch - it makes it a lot harder, especially if you're a new player
damn I just started playing Day Z. I have never played ArmA2 before :S

Any general tips on surviving?
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :damn I just started playing Day Z. I have never played ArmA2 before :S

Any general tips on surviving?

Stay away from the large towns, don't trust anyone unless you know them ofc lol, if chased by zeds then go into a building as they can only walk inside. Head off the the country side and look in barns etc for stuff. Deer stands are also good to find items.
Yeah most places that look like it has some stuff I need, it is full of freaking of zombies. The only upside is now I got a hatchet but I ran out of bandage
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :Yeah most places that look like it has some stuff I need, it is full of freaking of zombies. The only upside is now I got a hatchet but I ran out of bandage

Yeah it's really tough, especially now with no starting gun lol..

I guess you gotta find some friends to play with really.?
Quote from lukelfs :Stay away from the large towns, don't trust anyone unless you know them ofc lol, if chased by zeds then go into a building as they can only walk inside. Head off the the country side and look in barns etc for stuff. Deer stands are also good to find items.

Bleh, was playing during the euro final, on my laptop and screaming like a girl (getting the piss taken out of me by my housemates) Day 0 character and I'm stuck in up a ladder elektro with no weapons at all, no food, and only empty water bottles My problem with the countryside is getting lost =/ I never seem to find anything and just die of exposure
#43 - mr_x
Quick tip for you if you use the Steam version of ArmA 2: CO.

In game press shift-tab to bring up Steam UI thing.

Press Web Browser (near top right)

Browse to www.dayzmap.info

Now you have a full map that's easily viewable by pressing shift+tab, makes it easier especially when figuring out which buildings to check out.

Best way of finding out where you are is to use land features (coastline shape, roads and train tracks near the coast).
Quote from the_angry_angel :Bleh, was playing during the euro final, on my laptop and screaming like a girl (getting the piss taken out of me by my housemates) Day 0 character and I'm stuck in up a ladder elektro with no weapons at all, no food, and only empty water bottles My problem with the countryside is getting lost =/ I never seem to find anything and just die of exposure

Yeah I figured I had to go into town to find stuff otherwise I was gonna die of thirst anyways :|

I ran into some "girl" who seemed to just be starting, so I gave her a spare axe of mine and we stuck together. She then attracted a bunch of zombies so I died.
You should have killed her.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :You should have killed her.

I was being nice plus I only had an axe so I don't really have anything to lose.
What's the minimum you need to play it, bearing in mind I haven't got ARMA 2?

Also, can you buy used copies or is it one of those games where you get a code to play online so it can't be resold?
#48 - troy
Game is pretty old already, no online code or stuff like that. No problem buying it used.

You can either get: Arma2 Free + Operation Arrowhead

or: Arma2 Combined Operations

Arma2 Free is, as the title suggests, free to download, only difference as far as I know is that the free package got no single player campaign and no HD textures.
Apparently all you need is Operation Arrowhead but double check that because I am not sure.
I might have to buy arma now 2 now lol
Do i just need op arrowhead to play dayz?

DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG