The online racing simulator
DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
I went on for a bit last night and i thought it ran like shite! Sitting between 25 and 50 at balota airfield (south airfield) if i looked up into the sky i get 250+fps. In cherno or electro i get 25 max! Clouds on lowest, shadows disabled, no atoc, low AA..

I have been into the ini file and changed draw distance down to 1600m, same with object distance, changes framed ahead egc and nothing seems to run nice, whether its all on low or all on high it makes very little difference.

Also there seems to be a bit of an issue with loot spawning under the floor, i cant see anything but if i open my inventory and walk around all sorts of stuff pops up.
Note to anyone else out there, avoid server swap as much as possible. If you swap 2-3 times in a row, you lose your character. So far I've lost 3 fully kitted characters while searching for a daylight server.

On that note, where the hell are the daylight servers? Servers are suppose to be tied to their location's real time, but I was on an NJ server at noon today and it was pitch black. In fact, just about every server that isn't 35+ people is pitch black. I wish they would tell us in game time in the menu.

edit: Also, if you want the best military loot, go to the tents just south of Balota Airfield. The dirt floored tents usually spawns 2-3 items (ammo, weapon attachments, military clothing) each and even m4 rifles. There's 10+ of these tents. I just picked up an M4 with a new railguard, silencer, undamaged acog scope, and about 200 rounds of ammunition. Tons more loot than the actual airfield and a lot less exposed.
Just got the Steam version, installing now

Any tips for starting out?
Quote from Rappa Z :On that note, where the hell are the daylight servers? Servers are suppose to be tied to their location's real time

On the mod people would change the time on their server, so that it was daylight during the most popular playing time in their country. So you should probably stick to American servers. I agree that they need some sort of indication on the server time before you join it, surprised they've not added that yet.

Question for those that have the early access, is it still totally ruined by hackers like the mod was?
Quote from Crashgate3 :Just got the Steam version, installing now

Any tips for starting out?

Get off the beach, get inland. Much bigger chance of loot and survival. It's like D-Day in Cherno, where lamers are killing off Bambies at a high rate.
Started playing this again with my brother since the standalone came out - really enjoying it more even if it is alpha with less features.. Experienced a bug where some guy was shown 3 times and by killing him he had 3 times the loot

Best way to get items is to go to Balota airfield and loot the barracks and tents.. towns seem best for water and food - a little tip is to find a water fountain and spam middle mouse until it says "I'm full", same goes for eating! Found it out the hard way when I died of dehydration on my last character..

Really bc in SA i just get raped by invisible zombies.

Coulda just been one server..
Just had my first go. I spawned by the lighthouse and began working my way through the little villages following the railway tracks. I found some gloves, a wrench and an empty backpack on a farm, saw one zombie who gave chase, but which I managed to lose round some buildings.

I eventually starved to death an hour and a half later just before I reached a largeish town, as the only food I'd been able to find was a single rotten apple.

Awesome fun however, more awaits tomorrow!

I couldn't find a jump button, is there one?
Must be "V"
never has been in Arma either. add me on steam, same user as here.

edit: will try V
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :On the mod people would change the time on their server, so that it was daylight during the most popular playing time in their country. So you should probably stick to American servers. I agree that they need some sort of indication on the server time before you join it, surprised they've not added that yet.

True, but since I'm on break I play at all hours of the day. Sometime 8am, others at noon, sometimes at night. I've spent enough time though now to get a good cycle down.
Quote from Bmxtwins :never has been in Arma either. add me on steam, same user as here.

edit: will try V

Its more of a vault than a jump.
V worked thanks

I keep finding my guy will stop being able to run. I have to disconnect and reconnect to the server to fix it. I also found this seems to magically fix broken legs if you fall off something.

I've not found any guns yet, but my favourite weapon by far is the fireman's axe. I've been gleefully one-shotting zombies with it all evening. My guy is now quite the badass (by newbie standards) with the aforementioned axe, a motorbike helmet, a fully stocked 1st aid kit and a stylish pair of Rayban Aviators.
So, today I was making dinner; I opened the cupboard, saw the tinned tuna and for a second thought 'Yess!! Score!' before I realised I wasn't actually playing DayZ.

I may have been playing it a little too much.
I have a question, if i buy early access DayZ will i get all future updates for free or will i need to buy the game again once its a 'full version'? Cheers
Quote from TurboBlaster :I have a question, if i buy early access DayZ will i get all future updates for free or will i need to buy the game again once its a 'full version'? Cheers

free
I'm still getting news that this game is just as prone to hacking as the mod. I doubt I will ever get the game unless they fix that problem.
I've never seen anyone hacking.
Just bought the Steam version, going to start playing again! BMWtwins, want to team up again?
Or anyone who wants to play, add me: Scrabby
Good times you myself Ray and spankmeyer. That first day finding that loaded truck with aks and stuff was epic(failure). Plus mr.lyddon's friend accidentally running everyone over in the car
YES hahaha!
I'm on right now, in some town i don't know :P
Quote from Scrabby :Just bought the Steam version, going to start playing again! BMWtwins, want to team up again?
Or anyone who wants to play, add me: Scrabby

Sure, i have until thursday off. Warning, im still shit
lol, that makes two of us

where can i find a good map? Trying to locate where I am...

Nvm.
I'm 1km near Dubrovka (if you see dubrovka on the map, go down untill you see a T-Junction, i'm on that T), i'm now following the road to it in hope of finding weapons
seeing as im a fresh spawn and no idea where i spawn yeah. Anyways do you have my skype?

DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Mod
(487 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG