The online racing simulator
Quote from dadge :if you had a smartphone, you could have created a wifi hotspot and connected said netbook to tinternetz....

Well almost all of the public places are covered with wi-fi, and even some of the buses and trains have built-in wi-fi with them....unless you go into woods or out of town somewhere, there is no need for that actually.
Come on guys the interesting and useful features of a smartphone are obvious and don't need to be explained. Other thing is if you need/want them or not, but they are definitely there.
Quote from Yuri Laszlo :I seriously cannot fathom how those things work. I had to buy a new cellphone this week (do people still use that word?) and went straight for a Sony Ericsson W100. It makes calls and plays mp3s with a good audio. That's all I've ever wanted from a mobile. The rest I can use my PC for.

I got it for a week now and don't want to give it away ever again!

A quick google, wikipedia or reading the news right out of the trouser pocket is really cool. Not to mention letting it recognize a song playing on the radio, and countless other little apps that are availlable for free...
Quote from rediske :I got it for a week now and don't want to give it away ever again!

A quick google, wikipedia or reading the news right out of the trouser pocket is really cool. Not to mention letting it recognize a song playing on the radio, and countless other little apps that are availlable for free...

That's what I cannot understand. In my mind, doing things like playing games or using the internet must involve big, noisy, clunky machines.
Quote from -NightFly- :Well almost all of the public places are covered with wi-fi, and even some of the buses and trains have built-in wi-fi with them....unless you go into woods or out of town somewhere, there is no need for that actually.

Not all countries have the same coverage. I live in the uk, and there is little/no wifi hotspots. the buses over here are just that, buses. no wifi either. I wonder if the wifi coverage is better in Brazil... So, my point still stands.
it is pretty hard to explain...i wanted one because it was kinda the way to stay out of a cave even though i 'knew' the features and wasn't much more than "ya i wanna be able to do that i guess".

now that i have it, it is amazing being able to do what you can whenever you want. there are a few things that i wouldnt know where to go even with a laptop/computer.
DELL UltraSharp U2410 for 108 €
I post this for the guitar fellas a few posts above!

If you are now starting to learn guitar, the squire is more then enough, but if you keep on going and evolving, you will see it is a piece of crap!! ( no offense! i started myself with a squire too! and i still have it) .
The Amp that comes with the guitar is also crap!

What i recomend to you fellas is dump the amp and connect the guitar to your PC ( the mic entreance ), use the free audio drivers called "ASIO4ALL", they will reduce ALOT any sound lag you may have, and try to find a program called "guitar rig" ( it will emulate any amp, any effect, any soundbox you can think of ) .There are others but i know this one is good. And since you guys play LFS, if you do it with a wheel, you can also use the wheel pedals as guitar/effect pedals! Just need to find a little program to setup the pedals as generic controlers ( i used one called Njoy )

IF you want send me pm with any doubt ( that is, if your doing any of this )

Sry i post this here, but i just wanna help these fellas to start rocking!!!!!! :guitarist

EDIT = Sorry i made a mistake, its not NJoy, its Mjoy ( midi converter )
lool, i love that avatar
Quote from JBiturbo :If you are now starting to learn guitar, the squire is more then enough, but if you keep on going and evolving, you will see it is a piece of crap!! ( no offense! i started myself with a squire too! and i still have it) .

I don't know how old yours is but the current Squiers are good guitars. They would benefit from replacing the hardware with higher quality parts but you could say the same about Fenders.

The Squier Jazz Bass I've got at the moment is a much better guitar than the USA Fender Jazz Bass I had in the '90s.
I didn't buy the Squier starter pack (the one that has an amp bundled), just bought a standalone strat. Apparently the standalone guitars are somewhat better (and more expensive) than the ones that come in the noob friendly guitar+amp bundle. The ones in the bundle are apparently similar to Squier Bullets, which are made out of plywood and have pretty terrible pickups even by Squier standards. Not going to bother getting an amp at all anyway as my neighbours would kill me, since I live in an apartment. Going to connect the guitar to pc/mac with one of these.

If I'll carry this hobby on, I'll get a proper american made stratocaster somewhere along the way, but at the moment I'm slightly overwhelmed by everything to learn as I have zero musical experience from before. Will definately carry on playing every day now that my fingertips have finally adjusted though.
Pro tip: If you decide you're going to keep playing the guitar, don't ignore music theory, learn as much of it as you can as soon as you can. Get a teacher if you don't know any music theory at all.

Most people who buy guitars learn to play some songs from tab, learn a couple of scales and some blues licks and that's it. They all sound the same because they don't really understand what they're doing, they're just repeating music they've heard before. If you learn even just the basics of music theory you will understand why chords and intervals sound the way they do, and you will be able to use them creatively. It will also make it easier to play what's in your head without having to peck all over the neck trying to find the right notes.

Understanding the theory behind music will stop you getting stuck in a rut where you get bored of playing because you've run out of ideas. It's what separates musicians from mere 'guitarists'.
Quote from Matrixi :I didn't buy the Squier starter pack (the one that has an amp bundled), just bought a standalone strat. Apparently the standalone guitars are somewhat better (and more expensive) than the ones that come in the noob friendly guitar+amp bundle. The ones in the bundle are apparently similar to Squier Bullets, which are made out of plywood and have pretty terrible pickups even by Squier standards. Not going to bother getting an amp at all anyway as my neighbours would kill me, since I live in an apartment. Going to connect the guitar to pc/mac with one of these.

If I'll carry this hobby on, I'll get a proper american made stratocaster somewhere along the way, but at the moment I'm slightly overwhelmed by everything to learn as I have zero musical experience from before. Will definately carry on playing every day now that my fingertips have finally adjusted though.

Well, my strat isn't made from plywood, and pickups aren't great, but they sound okay, only the amp is complete rubbish. Anyway, when i took it completely apart, i noticed, that I might have enough crafting skills to build a better guitar by myself. Maybe some day, when I'll have some money to spend on decent pickups. Should be fun!

And thisnameistaken's protip is great and should be obeyed. I play (or torture) my guitar just to have fun, and repeating the same melody over and over again gets boring quickly. I like starting out with simple melody, and then improvising and variating it until my fingers hurt. It's going nowhere, but is fun!

And this is my last purchase, Wurth Zebra socket kit. More expensive than i want it to be, but I've already bought it and it's awesome. I especially like the 72 tooth ratchets, wonderful to work with!
Quote from KiRmelius :
And this is my last purchase, Wurth Zebra socket kit. More expensive than i want it to be, but I've already bought it and it's awesome. I especially like the 72 tooth ratchets, wonderful to work with!

Würth tools are like apple products, highly overpriced but with pretty good quality.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't know how old yours is but the current Squiers are good guitars. They would benefit from replacing the hardware with higher quality parts but you could say the same about Fenders.

The Squier Jazz Bass I've got at the moment is a much better guitar than the USA Fender Jazz Bass I had in the '90s.

My Squire is from 2005 and it came from those starter kits . Its not that its a bad guitar, the pickups are not awfull, but the guitar falls out of tune very quickely, and thats its biggest problem.
If you try to play something without using the whammy bar, its less bad...... but if you are a Pink Floyd fan like i am, and play those bendy solos, it takes only one bend to make it out of tune!!

But i know i read somewhere that these squires are like the lottery, you can either get a good one just as you can get a bad one. There are no high standards in assembly line . Mine , besides the tuning problem, only one knob works ( the volume )
Quote from -NightFly- :Würth tools are like apple products, highly overpriced but with pretty good quality.

Try snap-on tools than
That Fender tremolo bridge is useless, it will go out of tune on a Fender too, it's not a Squier issue!
Quote from e2mustang :Try snap-on tools than

No snap on around here sadly , or at least i have never heard of them.
Tickets for...

cant wait!!!
Quote from -NightFly- :Würth tools are like apple products, highly overpriced but with pretty good quality.

Awwww shit, now i'm a car hipster. Damnit!

It's actually because wurth shop has been opened 150m from my house, and i was lazy enough not to go to some other town. Well, I still have plenty of other tools to buy, and i'll check out other brands too. And wurth gave me a free hat! Everybody likes free hats!

For those who wonder, it's solder tin.

You smartphone users with all your annoying little apps are really lost.
Wandered around the town yesterday and came home with this:

(didn't plan to buy one, was just checking prices at first )
Quote from -NightFly- :Wandered around the town yesterday and came home with this:
(didn't plan to buy one, was just checking prices at first )

Impulse buyer. Shame on you!

Post your Last Purchase!
(7003 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG