The online racing simulator
Progress Report December 2011
(550 posts, closed, started )
well done scawen,the forums dont need people like that
Quote from Nadeo4441 :At least we know Scawen is actually reading this crap we're posting

or someone reported mangos post and scawen read that report.

I wish he would post some word on the fulltime/hobby rumours, just so that we know what we're up to
Maybe. Should I report your post so Scawen reads it?
better not. Got warned when i sent a rather cynic PM to Eric once ... (short tempered man that is)
Quote from ACCAkut :I wish he would post some word on the fulltime/hobby rumours, just so that we know what we're up to

What exactly do you mean by 'what we're up to'? What difference would it make to you as a free person anyway? And then how do you distinguish what full time is and what 'hobby' is? People say some odd things on here.
#531 - col
Warning - this idea has no factual basis.
I wonder if we didn't get a Christmas prezzy because Scavier are aiming to do something on LFS's 10th birthday?
We certainly need to do something for the 10th anniversary, even if the dev's don't.
Does anyone know when the first demo was made publicly available?
Quote from col :I wonder if we didn't get a Christmas prezzy because Scavier are aiming to do something on LFS's 10th birthday?

This thought crossed my mind during christmas too. Well, it's not many months till we find out.
This is starting to sound like these guys which say;

it's 21 Jun 2009 end of the world now
it's 15 Jul 2010 really end of the world now
11 Mar 2011 really endend of the world now
25 dec 2012 really endendend of the world NOW

Quote from ACCAkut :I wish he would post some word on the fulltime/hobby rumours, just so that we know what we're up to

Until recently I would completely agree. I don't think it really matters though because, as I see it, Scawen is either still solely working on LFS (good for LFS) or took up other work in order to survive (good for LFS, no?).

Also, let's note how long it took David Kraemer, who we know took on iRacing's tyre physics as a full time thing, to turn out a new tyre model that may actually be worse than the old one (going by the amour of bitching on the iRacing thread).

Full time or part time I'm sure Scawen is putting a lot into LFS and either way a truly accurate tyre model will take a buttload of time.

I'll admit it would be nice to know but let's face it, we tend to get info on a need to know basis.
#535 - col
Quote from cargame.nl :This is starting to sound like these guys which say;

it's 21 Jun 2009 end of the world now
it's 15 Jul 2010 really end of the world now
11 Mar 2011 really endend of the world now
25 dec 2012 really endendend of the world NOW

And one day they will be right!
And maybe one day we will be too... unless they are first!?

The end of the beta is nigh!
Repent ye haters
REPENT ye or burn (badly modeled rubber) for eternity in rFactor
Repent ye and be saved by the power of the physics update
For Scawen has spoken and the word is "soon we hope"
And so it shall be that "soon" the forum will be cleansed of whiners
Cleansed in a mighty flood of download mirrors
And we shall see the light
And it will be green.
the world *has* ended

we just haven't noticed it yet...
Certainly don't know much more about the new physics of the tires, but I think they are working ... and honestly prefer this to having to pay hundreds of dollars to rent a simulator as iRacing, or as has happened with netkar pro, appears to have been completely abandoned (netkar pro 1.3 FINAL) to continue with another project that you go to know how it ends ... asetto corsa 1.2 FINAL ¿?

LFS developers at least have the decency to implement the simulator without increasing the price in each update, or continue with the same project from the beginning.

In my opinion they are still in possession of the best online racing option to simulate an entire championship in the market ...

I prefer this way to develop a simulator that other developers offer me.

LFS development may be slow, but it is certainly the best. (in my opinion)
#539 - col
Quote from [Audi TT] :There is progress, but I want to see the grid tires 0.6B and compare it with the picture in 1 post.

There is no similar 'grid tires' for 0.6B.

These wire frame graphics are from a non-realtime model Scawen has developed to help him produce data for testing and developing the realtime tyre model.
I think?? he only started this approach after the tyre phisics in 0.6B were already done. So there can be no comparison, because there is no equivalent non-realtime model for the 0.6B physics.
[ removed image ]

someone posted it in the "revenge of the funnies", It's very funny and sad at the same time
Quote from BOSCHO :Lol

Well... use mine http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=72611

Do you, from the deep of your heart, believe that this Renault Fluence texture can replace the original bad detailed 3D model and very bad textures from RB4 model?

I'm not disconsidering your job, it is indeed a great job, but is an obligation from the developers of the game make something to walk side-by-side with the PRESENT technology, I mean, for example, RFACTOR 2, NFS SHIFT 2, and even "CARS".

This is a sad direction LFS is already driving into, and it is revolting how many FANBOYS are supporting an act like this.

CHANGE! =)
Of course I would like to see S3 get released, or the Scirocco for that matter, but I still enjoy it after 9 years of playing it.

The community isn't dead at all, otherwise there wouldn't be so much fanboys complaining about releasing an update.

The comparisson between LFS and other sims like (pC.A.R.S; iRacing; ...) isn't relevant at all. The devs have day jobs, while the team (>3) that creates other sims have deadlines.

So back off and stop flaming the devs!
If you think you can do any better, start making your own simulator!
Has anyone ever noticed that Scawen is eventually forced by Volkswagen AG that the tire physics must be close as possible to the original?

Its the first real Car in LFS and its the "newest" Scirocco from VW so if he has bought the license or even made an contract with VW, Scawen must abide by the contract conditions. And so it could be the same with Rockingham ?
Quote from Be2K :Its the first real Car in LFS...

No... The BF1 was the First Real Car in LFS
oh damit u're right . Okay then maybe VW is strictly to harder conditions
No... the RAC is in LFS since 2005, and the F1 were just released in 2006
MRT is also a real car, based on some Canadian Formula student car.

greetz

der nitpickerbutz
maybe 90% of LFS cars are all based on some real car, so there isnt just 1 or 2 out there. They might not perfectly imitate them but what more do you want
OK, I think this thread has gone on long enough now.

I've read it as it's gone along but could do without more distractions. There's work to be done after all.

Thanks for the feedback, I've seen some good positive or explanatory posts in here (along with the usual rubbish).

For those who were wondering, yes, this is our full time job, LFS sales make enough money to keep us going while we work on the improvements. From a "pure capitalist" point of view there are certainly ways to make money more quickly, but our aim is a little different - to make the best simulator we can in a sustainable way, and we're doing that the only way we know how - to study, experiment and implement, however long it takes. We don't mind if some people become angry, the important thing for us is to get the improvements done and release them.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2011
(550 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG