The online racing simulator
If not a content teaser, I would like to see an animation / movie clip of the tyre test rig at work at least..

Good to hear from Scavier as always =)
Quote from vistaman :The weird thing is "HAS BEEN". Is he still working on it? No.

It's kind of playing with words there. But from what I have learnt in my English lessons so far, present perfect is used if the activity started in the past and still lasts in the present. So I'd assume he is still working on it.

Just my 2 grammar cents.
Quote from col :Which is a limitation of the tyre model - so tyre model needs improvement, not 'force feedback'

No it doesnt comes from limitation of tyre model (If you put FFB in LFS above 50 then you can actually feel there is some resistance but then power of all other effects shooting straight trough the roof.
Beside I mentioned there is more things you can feel trough wheel and not everything you feel on the wheel comes from tyre that contacts road (at least not only).
Quote from col :Which is due to LFS not modelling depth/viscosity of road surfaces - nothing to do with 'force feedback' code.

You can bury your rear tyres in the sand, your tyres have less grip on the grass so obviously depth/viscosity is modelled.
Quote from col :
LFS is a simulation. Canned effects are a bad thing which is why LFS avoids them.

Some effects needs to be canned simply because they have nothing to do with the tyre contacting the road (at least not the tyre alone).
While I have no idea how LFS simulate FFB it doesnt mean i cant tell its feels very simplified if compared to real thing so one way or another it needs to be improved.
Quote from col :go play something else

How about you stop telling me what i should do or play?
Or maybe you should go play something else... oh wait you stopped playing LFS in 09.Or maybe you play offline because bots are so challenging.
This word by word analysis of the use of tenses in the progress report..

illepall

In other news, I updated my avatar to reflect the current situation.
think the best thing that can happen for the time being is some more teaser photos/ videos
...expect some fine progress reports in 2012

/sarcasm
You know what?
I still believe in S3, because I can. The devs are hiding the best surprise in years, a really big project, hiding it as a physics update (lol) just to give us a really nice surprise. You should still believe (of course its not like you will), because i KNOW that theyre not just lazing around.
It's never worked liked that before, why would it change for S3?
My feelings after reading this.

Ok...
Hurray! This made my day! Yet another awesome progress report! Not.
I am sure you guys could have released most of the content years ago, and I know you want to make it all one total package, but why can't you just at least give us a new car? Is that so hard? We've always been such loyal customers and all. But this is just the same progress report as the previous year. If there's no release in 2012, then when? I'm really getting desperate, you guys must have worked very hard and all, but you should atleast show us some pictures, screenshots, videos, whatever? Test releases? I don't know, but my patience is running low and I think I am not the only one with that problem. For example, what was the first time you told us about the scirocco? Let me see...

Oh yeah, late 2008 you told us the oh-so-great scirocco was going to be released, a few days later you told us it was postponed. In 2009 it was postponed. In 2010 it was postponed. In 2011 postponed. Not trying to accuse anyone or anything, but why can't you just give us a reason? Why was it postponed? Okay, because it has ESP and needs new tyre physics, but that should not halt you guys from making a first release of the car! You could always release the car already & then release the new physics stuff later imo... You've showed us the Scirocco a few years ago already, but why is there still no release? If you could just answer that, it'd make me very happy already.

The longer this is gonna take, the more people will get bored with Live For Speed, the less customers you would get (and complaining customers), the less income you would get.. I mean, don't let this project collapse! You've done so many great things !!! It just needs a little bit motivation now! Come on, devs, don't give up!

Anyway...

Thanks & a great 2012 to all devs (and everyone else ofc) - which may hopefully bring us some releases!

-Navigator98
3 years i can´t say anything .................... boring.
Quote from navigator98 :Hurray! This made my day! Yet another awesome progress report! Not.
I am sure you guys could have released most of the content years ago, and I know you want to make it all one total package, but why can't you just at least give us a new car? Is that so hard? We've always been such loyal customers and all. But this is just the same progress report as the previous year. If there's no release in 2012, then when? I'm really getting desperate, you guys must have worked very hard and all, but you should atleast show us some pictures, screenshots, videos, whatever? Test releases? I don't know, but my patience is running low and I think I am not the only one with that problem. For example, what was the first time you told us about the scirocco? Let me see...

Oh yeah, late 2008 you told us the oh-so-great scirocco was going to be released, a few days later you told us it was postponed. In 2009 it was postponed. In 2010 it was postponed. In 2011 postponed. Not trying to accuse anyone or anything, but why can't you just give us a reason? Why was it postponed? Okay, because it has ESP and needs new tyre physics, but that should not halt you guys from making a first release of the car! You could always release the car already & then release the new physics stuff later imo... You've showed us the Scirocco a few years ago already, but why is there still no release? If you could just answer that, it'd make me very happy already.

The longer this is gonna take, the more people will get bored with Live For Speed, the less customers you would get (and complaining customers), the less income you would get.. I mean, don't let this project collapse! You've done so many great things !!! It just needs a little bit motivation now! Come on, devs, don't give up!

Anyway...

Thanks & a great 2012 to all devs (and everyone else ofc) - which may hopefully bring us some releases!

-Navigator98

I understand what you try to bring up... But I still think those guys are already left from LFS... (hope so though lol)

Anyway, LFS S3... hmm would be ready to advertise if also damage physics would get new model on... (altough im already happy for it)
Quote from CheerioDM :blah blah microsoft paid me so now i am bingzealot and i have 1000 of invalid points to make about how google is bad

tl;dr
Quote from The Very End :Lolwhat

Well, for all we know we can talk about several years here, not just months. It's depending, but as stated before I hope they can give some indicators on how far they have come so far, and what's left to do before the physics are acceptable enough to be released.

tehy say that theyre almost done
Quote from S14 DRIFT :hahah
The good thing with LFS is that while there is the "master server" all of the usable servers are privately hosted. I'm not sure of bandwidth usage but in the grand scheme of things, bandwidth is getting cheaper and cheaper and the adverts from articles online (although thankfully there is a lack of advertisements on the forum and website normally) will generate a small amount of revenue.

Many of us have found better sims, I have..c.a.r.s and GT5. There is no "perfect" simulation out there, you need to find a balance across everything, physics, features and graphics and GT5 and cars does it, on balance, better than LFS. LFS is good but not good enough in 2011.

You are a "fanboy" in the exact term of the word; blind and ignorant faith. You're like a religious nut... THERE IS A GOD, THERE IS A GOD!! HE'S SO KIND NEVER KILLS ANYONE...oh look a volcanic eruption.

no bread this early im afraid.

Ok Jamie, when the physics / track / cars are released dont come back crawling and asking forgiveness

And what if i'm a Fangirl of LFS?, Someon gift me my s2 and was one of the best gift i'be have...

That why i will keep supporting lfs till they choose to kill it.
Quote from Inouva :Ok Jamie, when the physics / track / cars are released dont come back crawling and asking forgiveness

And what if i'm a Fangirl of LFS?, Someon gift me my s2 and was one of the best gift i'be have...

That why i will keep supporting lfs till they choose to kill it.

You are my favorite fangirl, want to re-become a member of the new reborn -TRR- ?

So that we have more fan boys/girls together?
We are the one that are holding up this game, and they are the ones who let us wait for years. And that is what makes me a bit sad.
It's not that i'm not angry about this, but after this tiny "hey, still there!"-message which is just like the message we saw a year before, it makes me more sad that the devs are not even able to be honest enough and tell us what is wrong, and what will happen...
Quote from rockclan :You are my favorite fangirl, want to re-become a member of the new reborn -TRR- ?

So that we have more fan boys/girls together?

I'be joined to your team because looks somehow "Serious" and then you kick everyone out...
Sorry, i dont wanna join on a team where the leader is a kid with no responsability for they team members,
Quote from Inouva :Sorry, i dont wanna join on a team where the leader is a kid with no responsability for they team members

He's way less of a kid than you.
Quote from Inouva :I'be joined to your team because looks somehow "Serious" and then you kick everyone out...
Sorry, i dont wanna join on a team where the leader is a kid with no responsability for they team members,

If you call traumatic psychoses, leading into craziness, and strange actions, childish, than indeed, you better can´t rejoin girl...
Wow I cant wait for dec 2012 and new report...

rip lfs
The good news is, thank you, but if there is no update LFS S3 in 2012, the tendency of this simulator is death, because the iRacing, rFactor, Race07 and other simulators will gain ground every day.

This was the case in the series of GranPrix Micropose, despite the purchase of rights by Sony, the simulator has died.:tit:
I'm not sure why everyone gets so irate about LFS's development rate. We are in a golden age of sim racing, so what's their to be angry about? There are so many sims out there, it's not like you have be married (and that's how some of you behave, as if you're freakin MARRIED) to one.

It appears people are painting a picture of what they think LFS should be and then get distressed if it doesn't fit their ideal.

LFS, uniquely, does have quite an dedicated community despite the lack of updates, and yes of course it's a shame when development isn't at a pace we'd all like to see. But if something is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

F1 teams spend millions developing their simulators, so getting a proper physics model takes a mammoth amount of time and investment. It's quite clear Scawan and co want to create the most authentic tyre simulation and that takes a long long long time especially if you're an independent developer. I suspect what's being developed might become a valuable asset to the developers so it's revenue streams might not be wholly dependant on sales of LFS.

LFS became popular because of it's attention to detail regarding physics, if you want that same of attention to detail in the next physics update then you're simply going to have to wait. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another year or two.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2011
(550 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG