The online racing simulator
It worked for Colin McRae, and I prefer that style, okay it might not fast all of the time but it's bloody entertaining, and it looks like a lot of fun to drive.
Old cars, best cars: VW Golf Mk3

Fantastically quick Golf Mk3. He's showing some really modern cars who's boss around the combined Nürburgring nordschleife and F1 tracks during a VLN race...(c)btg

"Hey guys. Here are some infos about our car. The car was build in 1997. The base was a normal Golf 3 GTI which everyone of you can buy. The last years the car gets serviced and revised at Escher Motorsport. The Engine was built on a 2 liter "ABF" block with single throttle valves. The Gearbox is from Drenth. But this is also our biggest weakness. I dont know the exact Power of our car (only 3 Persons known it) But i think we have round about 240 hp. But Power is not everything ;-)"(c)bmwpower1
Since there seem to be a few people having an ear for good quality recordings, maybe I have something for you. Clearly not "the best sounding cars / bikes" in these Soundfiles, but back then when we recorded them we had some pretty nice equipment available. I wished most other recordings you find in the Net would have the same amount of dynamic range (I hope it´s called like that).

I can´t remember the exact kind of equipment we used, but involved was a DAT recorder on which we manually set the levels properly before each recording. It was attached to a Microphone made like an artificial Head and for checking the records we had some really nice AKG Headphones. The recordings where so good that once I checked one of the Sound files and heard a slight cracking noise (we where standing on gravel), I turned around to see who´s there

Long story short:
Sound Files section of my Homepage

Soundfiles recorded with the above mentioned equipment are:
  • Misc and Bikes --> psychos_triumpg_t509.mp3
  • Audi --> buedis_audi_s4_42.mp3
  • Ford --> psychos_ford_crown_victoria.mp3
Beware! If your Audio Equipment is more biased to have more bass you will have a problem in the beginning of most of the Soundfiles, since they are recordings inside the Car. You may need to fast forward to the external recordings then.

There are more Soundfiles, but many of them where only recorded using a Sony DCR-TRV828 in connection with a Sony ECM-S959C. Unfortunately this is only a Consumer Camcorder and so I was not able to set the recording level. These recordings clearly miss the dynamic of the above mentioned recordings
Quote from buedi :

Long story short:
Sound Files section of my Homepage

Soundfiles recorded with the above mentioned equipment are:
  • Misc and Bikes --> psychos_triumpg_t509.mp3
  • Audi --> buedis_audi_s4_42.mp3
  • Ford --> psychos_ford_crown_victoria.mp3

Very lovely. I especially enjoyed the 3-cylinder triumph (like a miniature V6).
Don't think I have ever heard such a good recording of engines that when it idles closely I can recognice the sound of the valve train on my other ear and the exhaust on the other.

I'm also gonna listen to the other recordings too (rally cars at least), even if they're not as awesome as these.
Quote from BigPeBe :Very lovely. I especially enjoyed the 3-cylinder triumph (like a miniature V6).
Don't think I have ever heard such a good recording of engines that when it idles closely I can recognice the sound of the valve train on my other ear and the exhaust on the other.

I'm also gonna listen to the other recordings too (rally cars at least), even if they're not as awesome as these.

I´m glad that you enjoyed it. The Triumph Soundfile is the one I like the most too. Something comparable to what you describe can be heard on the S4 Soundfile when the Car stops and the engine is shut down. Right after the sound from the Exhaust starts to stop because the combustion in the engine stops, you still can hear how the engine sucks in some air.

I have tons of Race Recordings here on my old Video Camera Tapes and whenever I watch one of these I regret that I did not spend more money on my Camcorder to get one where you can level out the Sound manually. But they where so damn expensive back then

It´s good to know that there are people out there whose ears can hear such small details. I´m pretty sure you´re also a good listener to Music and hear things others don´t.
What I hate especially on Youtube Videos is when they write in the Title, that the sound is LOUD.

1. It´s only as loud as I turn up my volume.
2. Distorted is not loud, it just sounds crap and ruins many otherwise very nice Videos.

Too much OT now, I guess I need to stop here ;-)
Quote from buedi :I´m glad that you enjoyed it. The Triumph Soundfile is the one I like the most too. Something comparable to what you describe can be heard on the S4 Soundfile when the Car stops and the engine is shut down. Right after the sound from the Exhaust starts to stop because the combustion in the engine stops, you still can hear how the engine sucks in some air.

I have tons of Race Recordings here on my old Video Camera Tapes and whenever I watch one of these I regret that I did not spend more money on my Camcorder to get one where you can level out the Sound manually. But they where so damn expensive back then

It´s good to know that there are people out there whose ears can hear such small details. I´m pretty sure you´re also a good listener to Music and hear things others don´t.
What I hate especially on Youtube Videos is when they write in the Title, that the sound is LOUD.

1. It´s only as loud as I turn up my volume.
2. Distorted is not loud, it just sounds crap and ruins many otherwise very nice Videos.

Too much OT now, I guess I need to stop here ;-)

Don't think my hearing is any special, but engines and how they sound are a very important thing for me so I can appreciate a natural sounding record. I have a bad "habit" of not being able to enjoy car related videos if the audio quality is not at least decent. I also do lots of audio modding to games (currently only rFactor really) because I usually find the original game/mod sounds unrealistic or bad quality (distortion is very common).

I actually don't listen much music but I enjoy lots of different types, usually my playlist is what my somewhat musical friend(s) end up playing. About detail hearing I'm not so sure, at least when comparing to one friend of mine I'm only amateur because he creates his own music so I don't have the insight he seems to have. Tho our music taste can be very similar at times.

Racing videos
(4786 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG