I'm so leet I'm allowed to double post.
Attached images
IMG00414-20110405-1005.jpg
IMG00415-20110405-1005.jpg
IMG00416-20110405-1006.jpg
IMG00417-20110405-1007.jpg
IMG00420-20110405-1009.jpg
IMG00421-20110405-1009.jpg
Quote from G!NhO :Red is the best for night driving.

Teal / turquoise if you need colours, white if you don't. There's a reason most dashes are (were, before designers became more important than scientists) lit green (cheaper than teal, better than blue), including racing displays (Motec and the likes).

Quote :The sensitivity of the dark-adapted human eye is greatest at about 507 nm, a bluish-green color, while the light-adapted eye is most sensitive about 555 nm, a yellowish-green color.

Also:
Quote :Green is restful to the eye. Studies show that a green environment can reduce fatigue.

clicky
Quote from morpha :Teal / turquoise if you need colours, white if you don't. There's a reason most dashes are (were, before designers became more important than scientists) lit green (cheaper than teal, better than blue), including racing displays (Motec and the likes).

On the other hand, red color makes your pupils constrict the least so you don't loose the ability to see in the dark when you glance at the dashboard.
Aaah!

That's why Teletubbie land is green

You would not want babies to go ****ing bonkers!

Ontopic and replying to the E46 cluster test. BMW also has a slider to adjust the brightness of the cluster lights.
Quote from Scrabby :BMW also has a slider to adjust the brightness of the cluster lights.

As does my VW, as did my Corsa, as does my Mums Toyota, as does my Dads Lexus, as does my sisters Nissan, as did my rental Hyundai that I had, shall I go on?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :As does my VW, as did my Corsa, as does my Mums Toyota, as does my Dads Lexus, as does my sisters Nissan, as did my rental Hyundai that I had, shall I go on?

Lol, why did you own a Corsa? It must be the chaviest of them all Oh, and that wasn't the button dude. I think it just was a broken light
My old Omega had a slider, but the dimmer switch was broken so half the dash would dim, the other half would just turn off. Unfortunately it was the speedo that'd turn off, so I had to leave it on full whack.
Quote from MadCatX :On the other hand, red color makes your pupils constrict the least so you don't loose the ability to see in the dark when you glance at the dashboard.

That's a matter of brightness (i.e. the amount of light), not colour.
As quoted a few posts back, the human eye is more sensitive to green light than red, meaning if you displayed the same thing in green and red light, you'd need less green light than red to make the eye perceive it with the same intensity.
Never knew I signed up for science class when I joined LFSFOR
UMS
Quote from Klutch :Ricers.

agreed but you can't exactly boast now can ye ? sure you got a sexless soarer but its been riced to **** ( regardless of power mods, unless its got 8999.9 or greater hp, its a rice cooker )

but regardless, cool story bro
Just bought this !

preparing for summer tune
i already have a spal electric fan(for a year now XD ) i just have to mount it on a new radiator.I am planning on a stage 2 chip with 24 lbs injectors. also i am still eyeballing this 8.5 lb flywheel i just have to burn my clutch a bit faster
Nice one

i have so much shit to install on the soarer now that the engine is fixed...got like a large collection of parts in my garage lol
What I want:

Uprated injectors (would get me 190bhp/320lb ft on standard turbo :jawdrop
Stage 2 Hybrid MD505 turbo (this on it's own would get me 180-190bhp)
Sachs Organic Clutch (aka stage 2 clutch) - can handle 350lb ft torque) - £800!!!!
SMF (Solid mass flywheel) - This is about £600 on its own
Boost gauge

What I can actually afford to get:
Boost gauge

:sadbanana

It's really annoying, on ebay last week there was a one off turbo based on a Garret design. It had been remachined for bolt on fitment to the VAG 1.9TDI engines as used in my Golf, but also in A3's of similar age and some Skodas/Seats.

It went for about £900 which is good value considering it would give around 210bhp, it's custom made in a small batch (I think this company made about 11 and 6 of them are in the states, no failures as yet). A new Turbo from VW is about £11100, a regular run of the mill Stage 2 Hybrid job is around £850, and a VW Turbo that's either from Ebay (perhaps dodgy quality) or reconditioned is around £400.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :waste of money

Why do you want to tune a golf? I've never understood people like you...

Your car is FWD, it's a good tool to get from A to B, reliable (you're about to eliminate that quality if you follow your ideas), etc. It's not a sports car.

Why not save up that money and someday buy a better car? ...instead of tuning a golf.
Quote from MadCatX :On the other hand, red color makes your pupils constrict the least so you don't loose the ability to see in the dark when you glance at the dashboard.

What he said!
Quote from jibber :Why do you want to tune a golf? I've never understood people like you...

Your car is FWD, it's a good tool to get from A to B, reliable (you're about to eliminate that quality if you follow your ideas), etc. It's not a sports car.

Why not save up that money and someday buy a better car? ...instead of tuning a golf.

I like my Golf. I know that I've mocked Sam (sam93) for doing exactly this but he tends to start with shitboxes. I can reliably get 200bhp and 320lb ft torque from the 1.9TDI engine and combined with a full custom remap could probably get 220/340 at the wheels. They are diesel thus have an inherent reliability that a petrol may not have plus it's good old fashioned steel, not poncy aluminium so can take extra stresses without causing increased wear.

Golfs are 10-a-penny, hence why I want to personalise mine with the GTI kit and GT wheels to make it look more unique, lowering springs and go faster parts. It will not only improve it's value (OK so not enough to earn the money back on parts but that's irrespective) but also give me a car that I've put together and can say is genuinly mine rather than just another white good. If I really want I'd go for coilovers and a LSD however I don't want to ruin the comfort factor so I think lowering springs would be sufficient. Big brakes would be an option however Brembo disks with fast road pads would do the job until I can spare £1200 for a Porsche bolt on kit.

It will also beat R32s and give M3's a run for their money while giving triple their MPG. To go from where I am to where I want to be (i.e a completed project) would take £2000 or thereabouts however if I was to sell my car and buy something different it would cost me more...

Besides I can't think of anything that would do what I want to better than my Golf, other than a BMW 330cd Convertible however I'd need to sell my car and find another £3000-£4000 and it would still be slower and less aesthetically pleasing than my Golf when it's finished.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :They are diesel [engines] thus have an inherent reliability that a petrol may not have plus it's good old fashioned steel, not poncy aluminium so can take extra stresses without causing increased wear.

Everything true in above statement is marked green.

"Inherent reliability" based on the type of fuel combusted? Really now?
Cast iron is not steel, guess what your block is made from?
Aluminium is not steel either, guess what your head and oil sump are made from?
Extra stresses without increased wear? Again: really?
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
It will also beat R32s and give M3's a run for their money while giving triple their MPG. To go from where I am to where I want to be (i.e a completed project)

LOL.

There is no way you are going to be able to get a FWD diesel Golf to outpace an R32, even with more power / bigger brakes / new suspension / LSD.
Yeah, I think we should act like that post doesn't exist. You can pick any sentence and find something wrong with it
Let's assume he was drunk.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Uprated injectors (would get me 190bhp/320lb ft on standard turbo

Injectors are a supporting mod

thats like saying a fuel pump gives your car more HP...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :It will also beat R32s and give M3's a run for their money while giving triple their MPG. To go from where I am to where I want to be (i.e a completed project) would take £2000 or thereabouts however if I was to sell my car and buy something different it would cost me more...

umad?

That's almost like saying my Panda will beat a VXR.
Ok maybe I shouldn't post while playing battlefield. Many kittens have died and many mistakes (I.e Iron engine block) were made but oh well. Humans are not a perfect breed.

Quote from Klutch :Injectors are a supporting mod

thats like saying a fuel pump gives your car more HP...

Actually it's not. On standard turbo with standard pressures, higher flow injectors and a remap netted 195bhp or something on a 1.9TDI (same engine as mine) for someone on the ukmkv site (I think his was a Mk4 but what difference does that make).

I can't find the link, believe me or not. If you think I'd lie about something which isn't even mine then more fool you.

Quote from Jakg :LOL.

There is no way you are going to be able to get a FWD diesel Golf to outpace an R32, even with more power / bigger brakes / new suspension / LSD.

Round a track, maybe not. It's not a track car. It's my road car for cruising, trolling motorways and general shopping uses.

From 0-60, easy win for the TDi..220bhp may not be 246 that the R32 has however the 320-350lbft torque over the 240 or thereabouts would make up the difference. Midrange from 50-70 or 90 would also be an easy win. On the far side of 120 then the extra BHP of the R32 may bring it back.

Here's a vid that I found on the ukmkv site of a Bora 1.9TDI running 145bhp (remap and filter) and see how that minced a Mk5 GTI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tUuqg8RGIY

So it's not as far fetched as you'd imagine.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG