The online racing simulator
Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
My roadster has a k&n 57i induction kit, a stainless mazda sports system, and a decat pipe, and it passed the MOT, without the cat.
Quote from danthebangerboy :My roadster has a k&n 57i induction kit, a stainless mazda sports system, and a decat pipe, and it passed the MOT, without the cat.

That's because the MOT Inspector was afraid to argue with a pikey joke
Quote from PoVo :That's because the MOT Inspector was afraid to argue with a pikey joke

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Actually it's not. On standard turbo with standard pressures, higher flow injectors and a remap netted 195bhp or something on a 1.9TDI

The only reason you should upgrade injectors is when you start to push your duty cycle on them..i can guarentee you wont be anywhere near it on a stock turbo'd car.. On most cars anyway.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
Actually 4WD is crap for launching unless the surface is already greasy and slippy

Clearly never driven or launched an AWD car.
4wd != awd
Quote from Klutch :The only reason you should upgrade injectors is when you start to push your duty cycle on them..i can guarentee you wont be anywhere near it on a stock turbo'd car.. On most cars anyway.

Clearly the people who have all upgraded their injectors on the VAG cars must be wrong, and all of their dyno printouts must be wrong.

Quote :Clearly never driven or launched an AWD car.

No I haven't but I've seen plenty which had been tried to launch and bogged down.

p.s I'll rise above the chav flamebaiting comments.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Clearly the people who have all upgraded their injectors on the VAG cars must be wrong, and all of their dyno printouts must be wrong.

They probably have it chipped aswell? Usually you have to upgrade the injectors when you have more power and the standard injectors can't provide enough fuel pressure anymore, so the car will run lean without upgrading them. For a slight power increase you usually don't even have to upgrade them. And even if you increase power so much you'll start running lean, you can simply install a better fuel pressure regulator in most cases, without having to upgrade the injectors.

Upgrading injectors on a stock vehicle with no engine tuning makes no sense and won't increase power output.

Where do you pick up your car knowledge? At burberry?
Of course they have it remapped. More fuel flow = more power, it's common sense basically.

Which I've said all along.

VAGs respond remarkably well to engine remapping, one of the best I'd say. I'm not a chav, I don't wear burberry, I wear smart casual so please grow up and keep your insults related to the topic at hand.

p.s If you don't think uprated injectors would fetch me more power then...I couldn't care frankly. I've seen excellent gains and would be something worth doing. Just got to check on price etc.
It's not VAG cars that respond well to engine remapping, it's turbo cars in general, since you can simply increase the boost. And no, in most cases you will not need bigger injectors, maybe a new fuel pressure regulator, but not even that most likely.

Your car doesn't need more fuel to burn, unless it's running lean. If that's not the case, more fuel will mean it'll run too rich, which isn't a good thing either and will most likely destroy your cat.

PS: You're a chav in disguise then...
Some of the non-turbo VAG cars (such as the 1.8 20v non turbo) still gain about 20bhp from a remap which is pretty good!

I'm not sure how it differs with the diesel but upping the injectors does provide more power. It's actually a very common mod on the 1.9TDI 90 Mk4. Sticking the injectors from a 115 will provide an extra 20bhp (or thereabouts) with no additional tuning needed.

The issue is that if you get injectors which are too big then you get alot of smoke from unburnt diesel and then the Turbo life can suffer. But hey I'm getting a Stage 2 hybid eventually so then could up the injectors as well. We shall see!

Time for bacon and battlefield
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Sticking the injectors from a 115 will provide an extra 20bhp (or thereabouts) with no additional tuning needed.

How?

Upgrading injectors on a stock ECU will richen up the AFR, which means you will be LOSING power.

Lean AFR = Power, More air is more bang.

Its why when you get your car "chipped" excess fuel is trimmed off. Hence why your MPG lowers and your power gets upped...
When it comes to diesel, he speaks truth. The numbers I couldn't confirm or deny, but over fuelling a diesel creates heaps more power, but you get massive amounts of unburned fuel too. An easier way is to just turn up the fuel pump rather than buying new injectors.

[edit: The best fuel upgrade is advance timing and up the fuel flow, diesels love compression, which is why they respond so well to a turbo, on average you'll double your power levels over an N/A engine. The extra fuel pushed into the engine creates more compression, that makes more heat so the fuel burns harder.]
Pretty much what I said earlier All an aftermarket diesel chip does is inject more fuel. It results in quite a bit more power, but you're going to fail that MOT, especially without a cat.
Quote from Klutch :How?

Upgrading injectors on a stock ECU will richen up the AFR, which means you will be LOSING power.

Lean AFR = Power, More air is more bang.

Its why when you get your car "chipped" excess fuel is trimmed off. Hence why your MPG lowers and your power gets upped...

As Physco has mentioned what I stated is true.

After I had my car remapped, OK if I thrashed it I'd get way LESS MPG however when cruising I get WAY more...

http://img853.imageshack.us/im ... /img00427201104062240.jpg

And yes I brimmed the tank and then did the Trip and that's where the needle ended up.

PS My car does not smoke, only a little and that's after alot of town driving and then when I go full throttle through the range.

I also run Millers Powersport2 additive which was recommended on the owners forums. Feels a little more spritely and I'm sure this also helps reduce smoke. As for Decats well it's been suggested by Jack and it seems another thing I could get done...will wait until I get my GTI stuff however, I could probably get it discounted when I buy the cat back system to go with it.

Then again I can't vouch for the aftermarket tuning chips as these piggyback the standard ECU and are widely regarded as rubbish. R-tech actually reprogram the existing ECU and they do it properly. None of the "more power - more smoke" malarky. On some of the test runs that they did on the dyno it smoked quite a bit but on the final 2 runs it wasn't doing it anymore. From what I understand they take it up to 11 and then knock it back a few pegs to give the reliable and usable (thus no stupid flatspots and little smoke) power.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I also run Millers Powersport2 additive which was recommended on the owners forums. Feels a little more spritely and I'm sure this also helps reduce smoke. As for Decats well it's been suggested by Jack and it seems another thing I could get done...will wait until I get my GTI stuff however, I could probably get it discounted when I buy the cat back system to go with it.

Save money on fuel additives, for every tank full of diesel chuck in a few litres of petrol. It does the same job and has the bonus of cleaning your injectors on the way through.
Still baffles me how putting in more fuel gives more power on a diesel, but then again i don't give a flying **** about diesel's.

can someone elaborate on how this works?

Quote from S14 DRIFT :
No I haven't but I've seen plenty which had been tried to launch and bogged down.

The few times ive driven the WRX and been silly with it, i haven't had any problems with launching it, it lights up all fours and then grips up and takes off like a bat out of hell. Its relatively stock too (Just a full exhaust and intake) on pretty sticky tyres.

That being said, im sure the diffs now hate me.
Diesels run on compression. You need to make more compression to heat the air so it will ignite the diesel. By upping the fuel you create extra compression before ignition which heats the air even more, so more fuel gets burnt. By advancing timing you have more time to inject more fuel, create more heat and burn more fuel.
Quote from Bean0 :A little petrol in a diesel will not matter, truck drivers sometimes add a little to prevent it freezing as easily.

A tank full of petrol in a diesel and you in big trouble. As diesel acts as a lubricant as well as a fuel, the petrol strips the lubricating coating from parts which is obviously not a good thing. You'll also probably need a proper mechanic to drain and re-prime the fuel system.

Ah I see, thanks for explaining it. I may try 1l in a completely brimmed tank but still have my qualms about it.

@above, Tomba don't you have anything better to do?

also atf(auto trans fluid for the weaker minded :P ) fluid works like a charm in engine oil and in fuel !
This is officially my first car, 6 speed manual is fun!
Attached images
07042011013.jpg
Nice! Congrats on your first car (i think it's pretty nice for a first car)!

If you follow the example of Highsider (forum member), your next car will be an S2000.
This thread is closed

Post your Car!
(15536 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG