The online racing simulator
Quote from PMD9409 :Yeah that was good strategy to win there. I thought it was great when Carl and Kevin got out of their cars and went to talk to each other scratching their heads on how the heck they lost that race.

Yeah, Carl had ran a final lap of almost a whole second better than KB's but the yellow they were banking on never came out
nice finish today!
Quote from mutt107 :nice finish today!

That was one of the better final 3 laps I've seen in a long time
Great finish.

Fantasy league points went my way this week. Top 5 seperated by only 150 points. I'm starting to figure this bad boy out.
I haven't really changed my fantasy line up all year, moved up to 3rd place overall this week. Do you guys really adjust on a weekly basis? I guess I should start doing a little more of that.

Great finish yesterday, California really does have some good racing and it was nice to see people in the stands there for once. Taking one race away from the track as well as shortening the race to 400 miles were both good moves.

Tony is really throwing a lot of races away this year. I really wanted to see him take tires on that last caution yesterday but once again they stay out and lose spots. Wondering how many times they're going to try that before they realize it never works for them late in the race.
Raikkonen heading to Nascar

So how was the race for you Kimi?
Well I turned left. Then I turned left again. Then I turned left again. Then I turned left again. I go for shit now.
Stupid, stupid Kimi.
What's stupid about it? If he wants to race NASCAR, let him race NASCAR. Juan seems to be enjoying it just fine.
I honestly doubt HE wants it.

Really baffles me why would anyone want to run circles for the rest of their lives? NASCAR to me just sounds like the last resort championship when no other series want you.

Whats wrong with WRC? Give it time Kimi, not something you pick up on the first stage...

Wonder if he even considered sportscar racing?

Dear oh dear Kimi...

Quote :“I do what I want with my life. I could race there (in NASCAR) if I wanted – but I'm not one of the biggest fans of NASCAR.”

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/153538/1/kimi..._in_nascar.html

Quote :"I’m really looking forward to get there to familiarize to the world of NASCAR. I have been following it for a long time. I know, it’s a very tough and open top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that."

Guess he was watching a lot of NASCAR on his free days...
You guys who are Anti-NASCAR are rather closed minded. I prefer oval racing, but I'm not closed to road course racing or rally racing or anything like that. If it's racing, and it's close and exciting, I'm likely to watch it.
Quote from Cornys :You guys who are Anti-NASCAR are rather closed minded.

Have to agree with this. Its funny how NASCAR fans get labeled as rednecks who only watch cars going in circles when most people I know just enjoy motorsports in general. I'm obviously a big NASCAR fan, but I also watch WRC, V8 supercars, F1, Grand Am, ALMS, etc when I get a chance. I'd watch every race from every series if I actually had that much free time on my hands.
i watch nascar coz it has close racing... and it keeps me excited..

and i love it how the drivers have their own feuds and are allowed to sort it out themselves xD
If the news is really real I think there are two reasons for it. One being that Kimi still likes to drive and race but his wrc schedule isn't exactly filled to brim with stuff so he has time for it too. Another reason being that maybe he has learned some good things about nascar and wants to check it out.

Looking at the schedule the trucks aren't running any road courses and it was mentioned in the article that he is going to want to proceed to nationwide and then to sprint cup so maybe he is in it for real? He doesn't have all the time in the world to do partial seasons in wrc so better make the jumps while the other people are still interested.

http://www.nascar.com/races/truck/
Nascar would be good for him as the competition is just as stiff as F1 but without the issue of age getting in the way as a good driver can still win in there 40s or even 50s(Mark Martin anyone lol).

WRC is dead and hasn't kept up with the times, if Kimi seriously wants to continue racing this is the right route imo.
Was just looking at Kimi's wikipedia page and saw this:

"In March 2007, while his Formula One rivals were in Australia preparing for the season opener, Räikkönen competed in a snowmobile race in Finland under the pseudonym "James Hunt", referring to the 1976 world champion whose "playboy" lifestyle has been compared with Räikkönen's own.[71] Räikkönen won the Enduro Sprint race by over 20 seconds with his Lynx.[72] Later in the year, he and two friends entered a powerboat race in the Finnish harbour city of Hanko while wearing gorilla suits. Again, he raced under the name "James Hunt".[73] They then won a prize for the best-dressed crew.[74]"

That's awesome and tells me maybe he won't do so bad in NASCAR, if the guy likes to race he'll probably have a great time over here.
Quote from Mustafur :Nascar would be good for him as the competition is just as stiff as F1 but without the issue of age getting in the way as a good driver can still win in there 40s or even 50s(Mark Martin anyone lol).

WRC is dead and hasn't kept up with the times, if Kimi seriously wants to continue racing this is the right route imo.

Mark Martin is not as good as he once was, and he's a physical abnormality as far as stamina and focus. There are countless other oldies who can't hold a candel up to these young guns. I do think age plays a difference in a driver's ability in NASCAR as well. I'm not exactly an expert on the issue, but that's my obserbance of the sport.

Also, Benny... can you trust Wikipedia on something like that? (I'd check the sources)
Quote from Cornys :

Also, Benny... can you trust Wikipedia on something like that? (I'd check the sources)

I'd like to think we can trust BBC, Autosport, and Reuters on this
Quote from Cornys :Mark Martin is not as good as he once was, and he's a physical abnormality as far as stamina and focus. There are countless other oldies who can't hold a candel up to these young guns. I do think age plays a difference in a driver's ability in NASCAR as well. I'm not exactly an expert on the issue, but that's my obserbance of the sport.

Wel obviously it does make a difference but no where near as much as F1 would or WRC.

A 50 year old winning any race in F1 let alone being competetive is basically impossible in todays cars, due to the fitness required.
Quote from Mustafur :Wel obviously it does make a difference but no where near as much as F1 would or WRC.

A 50 year old winning any race in F1 let alone being competetive is basically impossible in todays cars, due to the fitness required.

I'd have to agree with that I guess. Alot more G forces are involved there.
Quote from UncleBenny :Have to agree with this. Its funny how NASCAR fans get labeled as rednecks who only watch cars going in circles when most people I know just enjoy motorsports in general. I'm obviously a big NASCAR fan, but I also watch WRC, V8 supercars, F1, Grand Am, ALMS, etc when I get a chance. I'd watch every race from every series if I actually had that much free time on my hands.

There's plenty of Americans who are Anti-Everything but NASCAR, just as there are anti-NASCAR people Benny, you're the exception in watching other sports. The majority of Americans* don't give a shit about F1, Grand Am, ALMS, V8s, IRL, whatever, as it isn't NASCAR. Which is stupid. It is still racing after all. I wonder how the Finns will follow Kimi given (IIRC) they haven't got a NASCAR TV deal in place (anyone want to correct me?)

I'll paraphrase a post from another discussion for a moment

Quote from Matt :
Kimi shouldn't come to NASCAR as it'll get flooded with elitist F1 rejects thinking its easy

Err....No. NASCAR is not 'flooded' with F1 rejects. JPM's gone over and found his spot. Kimi's working his way up, I'd rather he do that than pull a Danica

I'd rather see Kimi in Indycars as they need the name boost more than NASCAR IMO

*Not on this forum however
Quote from DieKolkrabe :

I'd rather see Kimi in Indycars as they need the name boost more than NASCAR IMO

*Not on this forum however

Yeah agree... maybe IndyCar drivers can redeem themselves for what happened with Mansell but I dont mind NASCAR. It's lost me as a fan but I still follow the results. Also having a more more international grid is never a bad thing for NASCAR imho

Quote from DevilDare :

Really baffles me why would anyone want to run circles for the rest of their lives?

Funny... i hear the exact same argument from ball sport fans who bash motorsports... irony here? Anyone?

BTW, just tell me that 2011 Kyoto 250 wasn't exciting. Go on. I dare you
Quote from lizardfolk :Yeah agree... maybe IndyCar drivers can redeem themselves for what happened with Mansell but I dont mind NASCAR. It's lost me as a fan but I still follow the results. Also having a more more international grid is never a bad thing for NASCAR imho

Funny... i hear the exact same argument from ball sport fans who bash motorsports... irony here? Anyone?

BTW, just tell me that 2011 Kyoto 250 wasn't exciting. Go on. I dare you

Actually road courses are circles too, they all end up at the start finish line.
Quote from lizardfolk :Yeah agree... maybe IndyCar drivers can redeem themselves for what happened with Mansell

Touche

But yes, I think Kimi will take a major fanbase with him, and as he's set to debut in May at Charlotte, he's got a learning curve. I'm not expecting a win first time out, but people will hype him up. I just strongly dislike NASCAR fans who either a. bash other series/sports, or b. act like the series should be 100% American. It isn't. Back in the 50s, Jag raced (admittedly on the road courses), people didn't whine then.
Quote from mutt107 :Actually road courses are circles too, they all end up at the start finish line.

That's exactly what I've always said.
Charlotte is a pretty good place to debut, I think. From my experience in iRacing, and from what Kyle Busch has said, in the COT and NW car it's pretty tricky, but in the Truck it's full throttle all the way round, at least for the first 20 - 30 laps. Raikkonen is throwing himself in at the deep end, but I reckon he will have what it takes. The biggest thing for him to work on is the race craft, there is no doubt he has the car control needed to muscle these round a track, but the race craft is completely different to anything he's experienced before.

The people who bash Nascar have obviously never watched a race properly and do not understand how difficult the big heavy cars with too much power and no downforce are to get round a track. On the flip side, Nascar fans who bash F1 have obviously got no idea how demanding it is to drive the fastest race cars in the world, and do not understand just how they are the technically right at the pinnacle of motorsport. It's swings and roundabouts, and both sets of people should be ignored. Real motorsport fans would see how good the racing is in both series, despite being vastly different.

I think F1 could learn a little from Nascar, cars which are overpowered almost always produce fantastic racing.

2011 NASCAR Season
(1062 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG