The online racing simulator
Quote from Amynue :No doubt, you use "offline version" of LFS as well :bananadea

I dont use ANY "offline version" I play LFS online everyday, and you?
Quote from Hank90 : I dont use ANY "offline version" I play LFS online everyday, and you?

Well, obviously he has S2, so I guess he don't play the offline version. How about you?
Quote from Hank90 :I play LFS online everyday

Quote from MyBoss :How about you?

Hank90 is not online
Last race information: (11:51 - 28 Sep '10) .. Yesterday

MyBoss is not online
Last race information: (23:06 - 15 May '10) ... 4 months ago

Amynue is not online
Last race information: (18:13 - 12 Feb '10) ... 7 months ago

---
It's difficult. Reading.
I"m always online.
Quote from cargame.nl :Hank90 is not online

MyBoss is not online

Amynue is not online

---
It's difficult. Reading.

Is it also difficult to consider that maybe those people are strictly cruisers? Cruise servers don't do races so their online activity isn't recorded.

In order to be a "know it all", one must first actually know some shit.

Just sayin'.
Quote from th84 :Is it also difficult to consider that maybe those people are strictly cruisers? Cruise servers don't do races so their online activity isn't recorded.

In order to be a "know it all", one must first actually know some shit.

Just sayin'.

Whats the point of cruising, I mean you're wasting your time to get a car to do what?! Sit and chat? LFS is not a chatbox with physics. Stop this at once.
That is your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it. However, some people would disagree with you.

I don't cruise and have always thought it was rather pointless, but lots of people enjoy it and it keeps them active within LFS. Get rid of the cruise servers and you've lost the majority of the people that actually still play this game.
Quote from TehPaws3D :Whats the point of cruising, I mean you're wasting your time to get a car to do what?! Sit and chat? LFS is not a chatbox with physics. Stop this at once.

Make me. Cruising is good after a hard day at work. Although some would seek their beds or a good movie i tended too opt for LFS. Racing on public servers against unsportsman like children who haven't hit puberty yet is stressful enough but getting beat by them sends me into a pre-emptive rage quit. So cruise, relax and a shmoke all equate to a peaceful night.

EDIT - LFS world doesn't work on Ps3.
Quote from cargame.nl :Hank90 is not online

MyBoss is not online

Amynue is not online

---
It's difficult. Reading.

// last_time from LFSW pubstat.

Hank90 is offline, last seen in 28 Sep '10 21:11 (4 hours ago)

MyBoss is offline, last seen in 15 May '10 23:14 (4 months ago)

Amynue is offline, last seen in 23 Sep '10 23:40 (5 days ago)

I fixed it for you.
Thanks people I'll check my account

Quote from zeugnimod :I think you get an e-mail, but only when the "official" patch comes out. There will most likely be a Test Patch before that that won't be mentioned in an e-mail.

Of, and if it's an official patch, you will be asked to download it anyway when you start multiplayer.

That I did know but I haven't really been playing LFS for several years. Honestly planned on getting back into it when the patch was supposed to be released back when and now have been in a holding pattern. Today was my first time on my G25 in nearly a year had to dust things off Either way haven't been online to update and likely won't be until the patch comes down the pike

Take care!

Luke

EDIT: Just realized that I hadn't been in my LFS account in such a long time my email was still listed for a domain I don't even own any longer. So now at least I'll get subscription updates and thread notifications
Quote :For god's shake people....they are supposed to be working for 2.5 years for....tire physics,one track and one car ? During the last year rfactor got a few dozen AAA tracks and cars and got improved ff with real feel(Like norchilefe,grand de turini,le mans,isle of man,new/old monza,spa,rouen,laguna seca,pau,silvestone,brand hands,sangai,detroi etc...).The upcoming rfactor 2 (by the way isi is a very small team too with Gjohn as the main programmer) has added variable weather effects(affected by temperature,wind and moisture) full dx9 effects with hdr and bloom,some fantastic driver and spectators animations,better sound,better ai,better physics(And if they manage maybe flatspots will be included also...).Iracing from a expensive turd has become a expensive sim,Gtr series get better with each installment and yes....even the bumper car grid runner called grand turismo series looks that 5 will be a true simulation.(I played the time trial and the main physics with all aids off with a g25 were quite decent.Having in mind that collition physics are improved a lot ,complete with cars getting airborne and rolling over plus that there finally is actual mechanical and visual damage means that this time gt5 will be a simulator.Add to that some incredible 1080p 60fps graphics with 3d support and some sweet cockpits-for 200 of the 1000 cars,plus some fantastic weather effects and some of the most beautifull tracks ever made for a game....)

But no no we the hardcore simmers are still waiting patiently,moving to 3 years waiting for....for 1 car and 1 track with some better physics....

I actualy agree with this. Im a big fan of LFS. Played it for years, loved it for years. These last months haven't even raced once...i guess im just tired of the same old tracks and same old cars.

I have been coming to LFS forum regularly to check on the patch , but this "quoted" fella makes a good point....what the hell for?? one car and one track?? It will be awsome...for 2 or 3 months, then its back to the waiting part for about 2 or 3 more years....

Im not critisizing the game or the developers, I RESPECT whatever time is necessary to make the proper adjustments to the game, i just think its time for me to move on...and say goodbye to the best racing simulator i ever played! im really tired of waiting........maybe i should just start gathering some money to buy a PS3 with GT5 and give that one a try, or rfactor 2....who knows...wont be the same thats for sure
I'm with that too.. Maybe they should hire more people to help them.. three people can't conquer the world, But I'm not one to talk; Barely have raced any cars or tracks yet, But the process is a little to slow if you can understand I'm not bashing, And true I've only been here a month or two.. But still
I love it how everyone knows what are devs working on in set timeframe.
Are you all like witches or something?
Here, have a rat to boil with some flappy bat. :wizard:
Ofcourse, I'm gonna be set in a fanboi box now or something. : D

Funnybear did made a good point, bunch of ****ing experts on this forum.

Quote from BlackEye :I love it how everyone knows what are devs working on in set timeframe.
Are you all like witches or something?
Here, have a rat to boil with some flappy bat. :wizard:
Ofcourse, I'm gonna be set in a fanboi box now or something. : D

But... you are!

OK... LFS is still no.1. simulation for me. I really like it, the way it drives, etc... there are ofc some things that can/should be improved, but still compared to other simulations it rocks.

But... when was last >major< (content) patch?
We've been waiting so long for improved physics, and there's still no light in the tunnel.
When can we really expect some new tracks/cars?
In next year... 1 car and one track? And that's even 'maybe'?

Now, I'm not bashing developers. It's their game. I paid for S2. I got what I paid for.
But, as this is still 'game in development', for sure that development seems rather stalled.
If there were new physics, new tracks and cars - and it's called S3, I'd be very glad to pay for it, so that's really no issue. Issue is it *is* getting outdated, and there's after so long of 'development' still no hint when we can get anything new.

As for 'go play other games'.. tried rFactor - tbh, didn't like it. Iracing - tbh, not going to pay that much for a sim.
At the moment, I must say I'm waiting and hoping for rFactor2 to be the 'next one'. As for LFS, I do hope things pick up, as I really enjoyed it so far... but time does it's toll.

In the end, about many comments about devs refusing public help.
I do understand from one point of view. However, my opinion is they could have 'tweaked' that a bit different.

While there's maybe no real need for public mods, having public make new cars/tracks might help out. However, that should be under control.
What I mean is, if you have 300 cars and 100 tracks available, it's maybe just too much, and things get 'watered down'.
What i would suggest is have option for all that being offline content, and devs picking up some of >good< tracks/cars and making those available for online content.
What a good post Nick7, pretty much what I feel like right now too.
I Love lfs, it's the best game I've ever played but it's about time for some new tracks, cars or development.
@Nick

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see updates more often.
Pretty much nothing would make me happier (OK, I'm lying, lots of stuff IRL would make me happier).

Anyway, I agree with some of your points too. Well, pretty much everything except public modding. Sure, there would be some great mods, but it's just not worth the trouble right now. Number of reasons for that.
  • Half assed mod - not good for anyone.
  • Updating mod as game updates/lost of incompatibility issues etc.(sure, you might think it's not a problem, but not every incompatible patch has taken this long :razzSmile
  • Updateing mod tools for the masses again cuts off time for actually working on a game.
  • Devs time they don't have to actually give support for mod tools.
What I'm most worried is half assed mods.
I mean, some guy suggested this few pages back and gave an example of some 3D studio models to be used? I mean, come on! Uh-hu
No PC on this forum would give 20 FPS with one car like that, let alone a full grid.

Again, I would love to see this as much as you would, I'm just trying to point out the other side of the penny.

P.S. I am not a witch, I don't claim that I know what are they working on, just info on stuff I've read over the past 7-8 years here and oldRSC. Smile
I don't see the problem with modding if it's keept under controll. If it's a thing with no controlling over - the game would die of horrible, horrible mods..

But.. well meh.. where to start, while trying to be original and not copy paste from earlier discussions?

I think a developer - aproved system would be the best. People could get the tools to make the track, but not the nessesary tools to get it in-game. For that it would be the developers approval. To get this the user would have to send the track file and info to the developer, who would quality check it and deside if it were something that could be used and released in a upcomming patch.

On that way it would be easy to get enough content, aswell as keeping the quality up.

The problem now is the slow development speed of the tracks in LFS. I don't think the cars or physics or graphics does need to be replaced / renewed / new stuff compared to the tracks. We have had the same tracks for years now, and a screenshot of some progress should really not be too much to ask for. I know they want to keep their cards close, but it's a tad to close now

But enough of that rant, point was moding - controlles - yes yes!
Quote from bunder9999 :never have, never will... i wish people would stop suggesting it.

Have they ever told something like that? or is it your opinion?
I dont have time to read everthink here.

i found this:
Answer to: Will there be other releases than S2 like S3?: Yes - LFS is still in development and future releases are planned for more content, improvements and features.
A wide variety of cars and tracks is planned and our goal is to cover any type of racing.

so i am asking for it. Why not, if the quality is orginal like the others tracks.
@BlackEye: Yes, I completely agree.

That's also why I suggested that mods can be used in offline mode, and for online mode it must be 'approved' (or whatever you want to call it) by developers.

Imagine scenario: every month (2? 3?) best 1 track is added into online mode for LFS. Similar for cars.

This way you'd keep quality stuff for online mode, while for offline (aka single-player) doesn't matter as much.
Quote :For god's shake people....they are supposed to be working for 2.5 years for....tire physics,one track and one car ?

1: Your missing the point of LFS altogether. LFS isnt about content, it isnt about graphics..... its is a dedicated online sim racing design to bring you a great online and realistic racing experience - updates for physics and bug fixes take highest priority.

2: You seriously need to read THIS
Quote from The Very End :
I think a developer - aproved system would be the best. People could get the tools to make the track, but not the nessesary tools to get it in-game. For that it would be the developers approval. To get this the user would have to send the track file and info to the developer, who would quality check it and deside if it were something that could be used and released in a upcomming patch.

But this can work only with fantasy tracks. Developers still cant release real track without track management permission (I think).
Quote from BlackEye :
  • Half assed mod - not good for anyone.

No one forcing anyone to dl them, its good quality you dl it, its lame you ignore, whats difficult about it, you dont have to use any mods you dont want so dont decide on things instead of people who want to use mods.
Quote from BlackEye :
  • Updating mod as game updates/lost of incompatibility issues etc.(sure, you might think it's not a problem, but not every incompatible patch has taken this long :razz

Again leave it to moders and mods users, if they decide they want to go trough all the inconvenience then its up to them not you.
Quote from BlackEye :
  • Updateing mod tools for the masses again cuts off time for actually working on a game.
  • Devs time they don't have to actually give support for mod tools.

No one ask devs to write tools why dont they just allow modding, make some info like directories, addresses, info what tools they use, available to comunity, nothing more.
Quote from BlackEye :
What I'm most worried is half assed mods.
I mean, some guy suggested this few pages back and gave an example of some 3D studio models to be used? I mean, come on!
No PC on this forum would give 20 FPS with one car like that, let alone a full grid.

rFactor, GT Legends, and a lot of other games uses mods yes there happens too complex and badly optimised models etc you cant avoid this but still there is more good stuff about moding, benefits outweight the cons.
Quote from BlackEye :
P.S. I am not a witch, I don't claim that I know what are they working on, just info on stuff I've read over the past 7-8 years here and oldRSC.

Exactly most games dont even life for so long (LFS community its very specific community where demo users can race blackwood for years b4 he decide to buy license) but basically LFS its poor in content and it would be good to let some fresh air into it.
I think a developer - aproved system would be the best. People could get the tools to make the track, but not the nessesary tools to get it in-game. For that it would be the developers approval.

Bad idea i doubt ferarry or jaguar wont make a fuss when devs add licensed cars into game, mods have that advantage that you can add licensed content and since its non-profit its being ignored.
If Game devs include nurburgring, Bahrain some tracks from Gran turismo or laguna seca in game i doubt it will be ignored by people who have rights to it.
So mods its the only way to add licensed stuff into game.
Also doubt devs would want to bother with frequent update not to mention a lot of people want to control what is installed, now lfs take something around 132 MB add some tracks and cars and you will have pack more than 5 GB with easy.
Altbierbude (GTL community) solved its pretty good they have best tracks and cars chosen with quality control into one big pack with autoupdater and you can race on their server if you have installed it so its frequently updated, quality under control and no client-server mismatches
So quality control, frequent updates, and servers can be managed by community without need to bother devs.
moding - controlles - yes yes!

Mod controls can be managed by community, yes some can say that it will split community but its not a valid argument since community is already splited between cruise, drift, destruction derby etc servers so its already split but its up to user what server they want to race with what mods etc.
Come one we can think for themselves there is no need to think for us.
Unless you want to make its easy and comfortable by allowing someone to think for you.

Just after writing it all i realised mods in LFS lol imposibru most likely it will be allowed only when devs got bored of LFS or LFS will be dying and then they try is as an reanimation of a kind, not earlier (I mean LFS its pretty old as a game in the other hand i have no idea is it a game or still an alpha, Duke could be in similar situation alpha for 14 years, but anyway i have no idea if it will be terrible outdated game when they finally release it or it will die as an alpha.
Its already being played in some cases more than 5 years how fresh this game can be to those players?
I meant mod controLLED, not controlls

I mean a strict system, just allowing fantasy tracks could work.

What you think?
Quote from The Very End :I meant mod controLLED, not controlls
I mean a strict system, just allowing fantasy tracks could work.
What you think?

Fantasy tracks would be cool, i think.
If devs would actually want to bother (Kinda doubt they would) i would gladly accept any tracks but i think that there is nothing better than LFS physics + nurburgring nordschleife in mercedes 300 SL gullwing (Fetish from GT) I would cum on every corner
@Nick:
That would be sweet.
But devs need to stay way way clear of any mods unless they want their ass sued.

@Chupacabras84
Quote :
No one ask devs to write tools why dont they just allow modding, make some info like directories, addresses, reckon on tools they use available to comunity, nothing more.

And what is this? Is it mod tools? It can't be, you said in the beginning of the same sentence something else. Make up your mind.
Tools they use/have build so far will be mod tools if devs choose to open LFS to modding some day in the future.

For other points, yeah... some are good, thank you.
Allthough, it doesn't affect just the creators of the mods. It affects me as a player as well, because if some dude decide he can't be arsed to update I've lost my fav car/track to play on.
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG