The online racing simulator
Can't believe you guys still waiting for the patch. Is this the reason you guys bought lfs? Waiting for patches and whoring on the forum with your S2 badge under you're name flaming demo users, making a name for yourself?

I guess you all suck! I hope the patch will be never released now
i play it for meeting friends, close racing, learning, and cause its the best game ever.....i guess the sets do add to it, but i have atleast 100 sets to tune
i don't know for the others, but i am eager to see what scawen has done.

part of it for scientific curiosity, part of it because i enjoy LFS a LOT (and its community) and i am very excited to see his work

i would be very very happy if he released some kind of paper or presentation on his work.
Quote from george_tsiros :i don't know for the others, but i am eager to see what scawen has done.

part of it for scientific curiosity, part of it because i enjoy LFS a LOT (and its community) and i am very excited to see his work

i would be very very happy if he released some kind of paper or presentation on his work.

Me too. The man is a genius
the scientific part intrests me a little too, but i want to know how exactly he codes this, i am a basic coder, that wants to learn, too bad i cant really relate c++ to visual basic
Quote from The Very End :Actually, I still disagree.

I am pretty sure (not the same as completely sure) that Scawen himself has said it were no economical reason behind beeing 3, it's just their way and how they want to develop the game.

Would be kind of great to have a statement on that one, so we for sure could know what the true reason behind that is.

I agree with you.. I think the main reason is to maintain 'artist freedom'. I've worked on several commercial projects, as well as few 'hobby' projects.

Hobby projects are usually very fun. You can be very creative, polish the stuff you want to polish, test and play with algorithms, optimize, make it closer to a perfection, etc.. The stuff all the 'real', born-to-be programmers love to do.

In large commercial projects it's all about deadlines, fast and efficient solutions, finding the point where it's good enough to make maximum profit. And shit like that. Oh and you must work with all kind of pricks. Working with good friends is not work at all.

LFS seems to be more like hobby than commercial project. It's somewhere between, hobby where you make a bit of money. Scawens dear baby.

Keep up the good work..
Quote from logitekg25 :the scientific part intrests me a little too, but i want to know how exactly he codes this, i am a basic coder, that wants to learn, too bad i cant really relate c++ to visual basic

The logic behind a program doesnt change much but the syntax is a bitch.

I should put some more effort into studying it as well.
Quote from Funnybear :I've a feeling that this tyre update will be one of the last 'great' physics updates that Scawen will implement into LFS before having to build a completly new engine. Once he's got this out the way, coupled with the Rockingham and VWS release things will gallop forth with graphical improvements, interface, community ladders etc etc etc. I think, that this release contains a hell of a lot more than just 'improved tyre physics'. And like The Very End mentioned, we would probable get a whole lot more communication from the Devs if they didn't get flamed all the bloody time. I know I would stop talking if all I got was abuse from people not even having the decency to pay for the project. In fact I would be sorely tempted to stop working completly. What a completly ungrateful spoilt lot we are.

But, as and when this update is released, and I await it with anticipation, we will see a marked jump in updates, and information. We are going through the 'hunker down' period. What I think could be construed as the 'final' build without the final paintjob. I wouldn't be surprised that there are already complete audio and graphical updates just waiting in the wings ready for their moment.

Given the progress so far, it's unlikely. Sure dev speed was blistering at the start, but the code base was probably a lot simpler and smaller then. As the games has got more complex, development speed has slowed, almost stalled. Unless there's an increase in developer resources, it's only going to get slower. I really don't think there's any denying that fact.

The other important point is point is Scawen is a perfectionist. He hasn't released any half baked LFS code to date. To Scawen's credit, the development philosophy/regime has surely resulted in the quality we see now. The flip side is that there's now a "massive" anticipation and speculation of the pending release and I'm sure Scawen wants to prove (to the community) that his development regime works and is worth while, even if it means delay after delay.

I guess it's just a question of;

a) Will the coming update generate enough "real" long term interest to kick start the community?

b) How long the community interest will remain in the game without an update? Some will surely argue that time has passed.

Quote from Macfox :
The other important point is point is Scawen is a perfectionist. He hasn't released any half baked LFS code to date. To Scawen's credit, the development philosophy/regime has surely resulted in the quality we see now. The flip side is that there's now a "massive" anticipation and speculation of the pending release and I'm sure Scawen wants to prove (to the community) that his development regime works and is worth while, even if it means delay after delay.

Sorry, but some parts are far from perfect. Collision physics, damage system, turbo simulation, and some more aspects of the game.

And that aren't features to add in some time in the future, they are there, but they are half baked.
woah
this is never gonna end.
I'm starting to thinking that devs are working on an another project, maybe a new engine or sim for a big company, or whatever, and they've just moved lfs on place 2 . maybe that's the only logical answer for the favorite question: what takes 1yrs of work on an already existing and "working" car modell, and a physic update . Sorry guys, but do you know a better answer? fanboi's plz shut up
Maybe they are rebuilding (rewriting) whole engine...
Maybe the "OTHER project" theory is more realistic atm
Devs remove all instruments from all cockpits, next level of racing simulation...

Sarcasm...
its easy people...

patch comes as bundle with duke nukem for ever

don't hit me - i'm really just joking!

Plonk!

jo

*edit but i for sure understand all of you! dev's must give out new f5 keys latest when releasing s3
#743 - col
Quote from ASR Sanchez :I'm starting to thinking that devs are working on an another project, maybe a new engine or sim for a big company, or whatever, and they've just moved lfs on place 2 . maybe that's the only logical answer for the favorite question: what takes 1yrs of work on an already existing and "working" car modell, and a physic update . Sorry guys, but do you know a better answer? fanboi's plz shut up

FWIW, I do know a better answer, but going by your final sentence, you would be too stupid to understand.

You really would be too stupid.
Quote from ATHome :Sorry, but some parts are far from perfect. Collision physics, damage system, turbo simulation, and some more aspects of the game.

And that aren't features to add in some time in the future, they are there, but they are half baked.

What's wrong with the turbo simulation?
Quote from ATHome :Sorry, but some parts are far from perfect. Collision physics, damage system, turbo simulation, and some more aspects of the game.

Sure they could do with a bit more polish, but when they were introduced (6 yrs ago) they were significantly more advanced than most games out then. Now they look a bit stale as the competition has caught up.

I'll be the first to admit, these tyre physics and a tickle of new content are going to have to be exceptional for LFS to keep it's reputation and place on the mantle.

In fact the whole situation is getting to be a bit of a joke really. I think the vast majority of ppl in the community only touch base to see who's going to be right. Is LFS going to revist it's glory or is it going to be the biggest disappointment in sim racing history.

Perhaps LFS is going the way of Commodore, who had a great product and all the opportunity, but failed to progress with the times, only to see it competitors trump them.
Quote from Skytrill :Ok.. so you blame the speed of development of LFS and things such as "the GTR interiors for like 2 years", while, after 4 years of playing, you are style on Demo, therefore proving that you obviously use a cracked version of LFS and you dare to come here on this forum using bandwidth and services that you haven't contributed to help in any sorts of way to ask for more contributions from the dev? You are the reason why they couldn't hire any more personnel so stop complaining.

You provide no counter argument to the accurate note that output's been lethargic regardless what the development speed is behind the scenes, and, for all you know, that "demo" forum user is using separate forum and game accounts. Self righteous pontificating rants like yours are what's wrong with LFS. It's a great game but too much of the "community" is made of cocky, whiny, immature kids.

By Macfox' metric you can't judge a placeholder element, only a finished one - one that received Scawen's "perfectionist" attention. Modular "WIP". Those half baked placeholders are half baked because they're placeholders; it's intentional and temporary.
Quote from cardriverx :I would gladly chip in another $20 if it meant they could hire more people to work on the game, or at least get stuff done a lot quicker.

Agree?

no!

give me a deadline and hit it i might consider it. picking random dates and then releasing nothing and spouting cliches of its done when its done and i'll keep that 20 and buy a 6 pack.
a cold beer has more to offer me at the moment than the devs.

as much as i hate twitter a simple 140 letter entry once a week could alleviate a lot of the crap on here. its the arrogance of trying to pass off no updates on not having time that pisses me off. its not lack of time, its lack of respect for customers that means you ignore them.
Quote from Scawen :Hi. Thanks for your interest in doing a Thai translation. I'm sorry but it is not yet supported by LFS.

If we did support it, it would use the Windows codepage as seen on this Microsoft web page :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/goglobal/bb964654.aspx

But at the moment we do not support Hebrew, Arabic, Vietnam or Thai. In the case of Hebrew and Arabic there is an additional complication, that the writing needs to go from right to left. It looks like Thai does not have this complication so I would just need to implement the Thai codepage and characters into LFS to make it work.

I like to support languages and I find it interesting, but I can't do it until the highest priority things are done. At the moment that is the new tyre physics, VW Scirocco and Rockingham that everyone is waiting for. Maybe you could remind me again after those things are done?

i quoted the same few pages back
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG