The online racing simulator
Just my current feeling about things...

I've long ago lost the belief that the community as a whole could somehow accomplish the seemingly impossible and get Scavier to change their work methods. I'm glad to see more of Scawen lately, though. The recent posts of Scawen give me a better feeling about the development. I mean, even though the progress isn't faster, it's nice not to be left in the dark. Kudos for that.

Yet... I can't help but feel a little awkward about LFS. To me, LFS will always be the perfect example of the project that could have been so much more. Who knew, back in 2003, that LFS would be at this point in its development in 2010? Back then, most of us would only refer to 2010 as an exaggeration joke when people asked when LFS would be done.

So my bottom line is, I respect Scavier's work a lot, but I never could understand Scavier's rationale about this project.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :I really hope that patch would fix few errors:

BMW Sauber F1.06 doesn't have slicks btw @ year of 2006

Tyre names should be a bit improved like in road cars: @ now there is tyres called Soft - Normal - Hybrid - Mud | I think there would be better:

Super Soft - Soft - Default - Gravel R1 - Gravel R2
(Snow R1/R2 as future?)

Tyre surface options but not important

Errors???

These are feature requests! Go to the improvement suggestions thread...
Quote from Busta :I havent followed LFS forum for more than a year now and i can see that nothing has changed since then. Too bad.

If you mean, for example you joining R4R TBO/GTi Server and being beaten, then yes (hi btw)
*but i guess theres no racing on forum*
*ediit* no2

But all depends what you mean, If you mean the attitude in forums? or LFS physics progression?
If you read back, but i assume you have already done this and seen some of updates from Scawen.
But nice to see old racers keeping tabs.
Sorry if original post sounded harsh, just sat on-line waiting for some action.
Quote from loopingz :I am confident the next step will rock when it is done.
Keep up Scawen.

I have no expectations on that - it is rather getting rid of observed errors in tyre modelling than feature that really can be felt (unlike S1 to S2 progress)
Quote from uttoro :Errors???

These are feature requests! Go to the improvement suggestions thread...

IMO Errors, at least 1st one is error sry
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :IMO Errors, at least 1st one is error sry

As already pointed out: with standard textures the BMW F1 hasn't slicks, so it's not the games fault, but yours for installing addon textures
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :If you mean, for example you joining R4R TBO/GTi Server and being beaten, then yes (hi btw)
*but i guess theres no racing on forum*
*ediit* no2

But all depends what you mean, If you mean the attitude in forums? or LFS physics progression?
If you read back, but i assume you have already done this and seen some of updates from Scawen.
But nice to see old racers keeping tabs.
Sorry if original post sounded harsh, just sat on-line waiting for some action.

The only thing i meant was about LFS physics progression
Quote from simulation :Then you have never tried molson canadian i guess.
Just kidding... i agree....at least it's better than american beer though.

sorry back on topic

Back off topic again: I can't let injustice stand.

The US Schludmuler type beer is awful. But we make some very fine brews now that rival anything I've had to drink in Germany so far. That's not disparaging German beers, they're great, but what you find up here in the NW US is awesome now. McMenamin's Terminator Stout, Rouge Brewery, Bridgeport India Pale Ale, and a host of others like Moose Drool, Fat Tire, etc, are very fine beers. Get with the 21st century and stop guzzling the High Life just because their commercials are cool.

Back on topic -- wait, there is no real topic to this thread.
Quote from ATHome :As already pointed out: with standard textures the BMW F1 hasn't slicks, so it's not the games fault, but yours for installing addon textures

huh? what freaking textures? I have changed nothing, the game is as I got it.
Quote from UnknownMaster21 :huh? what freaking textures? I have changed nothing, the game is as I got it.

If you're seeing the BF1 with slick tyres it's not. The default BF1 has grooved tyres, just like they did in F1 in 2006. You've changed something, whether you remember it or not.
How much input about tires did you get from the BMW guys (BF1 & BFM), and then the VW (VWS) people about how the tires in the game differ from how it feels in real life?

How far was your approximation of racing tires off from road tyers? (Contrasting the complaints from the BMW team to that of the VW team.)

Has this caused much of the current tire dev work we see now, as you've been told some of the things we had where wrong?

Will we see track temperature and ambient temperature effect the heat that is put into the tires? (These values also effect Engine, Oil or Clutch temp in the future with values also changing for rain and night racing.)
Quote from Dygear :Will we see track temperature and ambient temperature effect the heat that is put into the tires? (These values also effect Engine, Oil or Clutch temp in the future with values also changing for rain and night racing.)

I would pay to see every feature that you described in the game
i would have more fun with these features
You could easily buy a cheap car, mount cam on it and finaly make some mechanical robots to control car via computer with WiFi or some other wireless technology, finaly connect to both from home, bind steering wheel and enjoy real driving simulation while sitting at home, these features included:

- Exceeding max. speed limits may cause police atention + chase
- Real fines in your local currency
- Realistic damage
- Blood from pedestrians!
- Need to check all car temps/liquids
- All possibile physics included
- Buildings damage (terragen)
- Car mods/tuning
etc.
Quote from Raito :- Real fines in your local currency

There would be nobody to receive the fine inside the car
Quote from Amynue :There would be nobody to receive the fine inside the car

Fine would go to Registered owner
Quote from PoVo :Fine would go to Registered owner

Take off the license plate and scratch off the ViN, Fun Fun!

Seriously, I would do that just so the cops would be like... WTF?
do it with a mustang made to look like kitt. Give it the scanner and everything.
Quote from amp88 :If you're seeing the BF1 with slick tyres it's not. The default BF1 has grooved tyres, just like they did in F1 in 2006. You've changed something, whether you remember it or not.

He is speaking about the tyre physics, not the tyre textures.

Even though the tyre is textured with grooves, what you pick in the setup screen are different variations of a slick tyre, that work like the R2, R3 and R4 you pick on GTRs.
Quote from TehPaws3D :Take off the license plate and scratch off the ViN, Fun Fun!

Seriously, I would do that just so the cops would be like... WTF?

and include self-destroy mechanism inside that control unit
That should be a top gear challenge ^^
Quote from boosterfire :Just my current feeling about things...

I've long ago lost the belief that the community as a whole could somehow accomplish the seemingly impossible and get Scavier to change their work methods. I'm glad to see more of Scawen lately, though. The recent posts of Scawen give me a better feeling about the development. I mean, even though the progress isn't faster, it's nice not to be left in the dark. Kudos for that.

Yet... I can't help but feel a little awkward about LFS. To me, LFS will always be the perfect example of the project that could have been so much more. Who knew, back in 2003, that LFS would be at this point in its development in 2010? Back then, most of us would only refer to 2010 as an exaggeration joke when people asked when LFS would be done.

So my bottom line is, I respect Scavier's work a lot, but I never could understand Scavier's rationale about this project.

"Could have been so much more" - says who? Did Scavier say this somewhere?
Can somebody tell me, who is Scavier? I'm really lost right now
Quote from cargame.nl :Can somebody tell me, who is Scavier? I'm really lost right now

He's the holy trinity
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG