The online racing simulator
[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4443 posts, closed, started )
Quote from LSDBlackWolf :...but what's the point of having super realistic tyre behaviour when many other things haven't been introduced yet? Other things that also interfere with real life racing like weather and night racing. There's also brake failure due to heat, oil leaks, turbos damaged, clutch wear...

That is a fair question and it's probably shared by many people. I agree those changing elements you mention would make racing more interesting.

But... most important in my opinion and many others is to get the cars feeling right and handling right. We would say, what is the point of having things that change your car when it never felt right in the first place?

LFS without the tyre updates is already an approximation of reality, good enough to enjoy, learn something about cars and do plenty of competitive racing. But there are situations where the car doesn't really do the right things. The response to some of the changes in setup and also finer points about what a car does when you turn the steering wheel and apply the throttle. It may sound fussy but these are the things you feel every second while racing. Personally I have found when testing for example an LX car around South City Chicase route, more excitement with the version I have, even got kind of hot and sweaty a few times just driving one car in practice mode as I started to drive several laps for no real reason. Getting hot and sweaty isn't necessarily a good thing in itself... But I took it as a good sign.

Anyway, even at that point, further research into the things I still knew were not finished, showed up more things and that's what brought me onto the more detailed study of carcass deformation. This year and a half of tyre model development really have been one thing leading to another, though as you know there were other things that took some of my time during that year and a half. So the tyre model updates are the results of several months but not as long as some people imagine.
Quote from Scawen : It doesn't run in real time, and takes a couple of minutes to run its tests and generate the results. It's in those periods I've been checking my email and some post notifications have sent me in here to see what's up.

Scawen, I think you need to optimize it.. so there's less time for you to ban or give me infractions.
Quote from Scawen :Personally I have found when testing for example an LX car around South City Chicase route, more excitement with the version I have, even got kind of hot and sweaty a few times just driving one car in practice mode as I started to drive several laps for no real reason. Getting hot and sweaty isn't necessarily a good thing in itself... But I took it as a good sign.

Oh yeah. Thats a brilliant sign!

Keep at it. With every post this update seems better and better!
Quote from DevilDare :Oh yeah. Thats a brilliant sign!

Keep at it. With every post this update seems better and better!

Bogus that Scawen gets an epically fun version of LFS, while we're stuck with Z28...

This is developer favoritism at its finest!

:hide:
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Bogus that Scawen gets an epically fun version of LFS, while we're stuck with Z28...

This is developer favoritism at its finest!

:hide:

Haha. I wanted to say something on that.

"So thats whats been taking so long! You're just playing it all day long!"

But then I changed my mind.

I figured if I suck up enough, he will let me play it too.
Quote from Scawen :Personally I have found when testing for example an LX car around South City Chicase route, more excitement with the version I have, even got kind of hot and sweaty a few times just driving one car in practice mode as I started to drive several laps for no real reason. Getting hot and sweaty isn't necessarily a good thing in itself... But I took it as a good sign.

You realize how sadic this is to us?
And yea for me getting hot and sweaty when playing LFS means I'm having fun
Quote from DevilDare :I figured if I suck up enough, he will let me play it too.

I'm just gonna turn up around his place with beer and cake.. hope that's a good enough bribe.

Quote from Scawen :. Personally I have found when testing for example an LX car around South City Chicase route, more excitement with the version I have, even got kind of hot and sweaty a few times just driving one car in practice mode as I started to drive several laps for no real reason. Getting hot and sweaty isn't necessarily a good thing in itself... But I took it as a good sign.

now i want new tyres even more, oh the agony
Quote from dawesdust_12 :beer and cake...

Make sure it's purchased over there since we don't make anything worth drinking here...

but... why on Earth would you mix it with cake?!:vomit:
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Make sure it's purchased over there since we don't make anything worth drinking here...

Cake for his children/wife.. beer for him! I'd bring a coffee for myself as I'm underage (here at least )
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm just gonna turn up around his place with beer and cake.. hope that's a good enough bribe.

youre probably the last guy scawen (or any other father for that matter) would want to have near their children
I just realized something !!! We dont have updates yet because Scawen is playing with the fun LFS all day long

Anyway,i am waiting for that new lfs badly !
Quote from Shotglass :youre probably the last guy scawen (or any other father for that matter) would want to have near their children

I'm pretty sure there's a big difference between most people on the internet, and how they are in person. I'm sure people who have attended the LFS Karting meets would testify to that.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I'm pretty sure there's a big difference between most people on the internet, and how they are in person. I'm sure people who have attended the LFS Karting meets would testify to that.

thats a VERY good point....
the only real difference is that people have nuts in real life that you can kick if theyre being twats (and that applies to absolutely everyone since there are no girls on the internet)

however im not sure if thats the correct use of the word testi-fy
Quote from e2mustang :I just realized something !!! We dont have updates yet because Scawen is playing with the fun LFS all day long

Its worst! Playing all day LFS and write forum posts every single day

Keep up the good work Scawen, im sure the new tyre mode is awesome
erm, off topic?
how would kicking someone in the nuts make you any less a twat? i've found that it's the people who offer physical violence as a means to settle their internet differences are actually the ones who are the biggest .........i'm looking for a word, it rhymes with fussy.
nothing personal, it's the internet.
That word doesn't rhyme with the way "fussy" is pronounced btw...
It does in Ireland
Great to see even Scawen posting such sings.

Scawen, did you look a page back about my tire tread question?
Quote from Scawen :It does in Ireland

it's great to see you on the forums dude.
have a good one bud!
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Make sure it's purchased over there since we don't make anything worth drinking here...

Then you have never tried molson canadian i guess.
Just kidding... i agree....at least it's better than american beer though.

sorry back on topic
I am glad coding physic still lights on your passion (to Scawen). My main fear was that progress stoped and you got bored.
So far LFS brought me the best sensation I have ever had on a simulator. To be honnest earliest built rocked (I mean brought me pleasure near real life) on FWD and latest on RWD.
I am confident the next step will rock when it is done.
Keep up Scawen.
Quote from Bose321 :Scawen, did you look a page back about my tire tread question?

He would of but i am guessing Scawen does not want to answer every question which is aimed towards he because then eveyone will start asking him the most stupid question, just be grateful he has not unsubscribed from this thread and still answers what he feels is reasonable.
i really love reading his posts...even if they are TOTAL spam, it just brightens my mood
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4443 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG