The online racing simulator
65 pages and no update.

I'm just trying to figure out why did they make an update system if there isn't any update anymore.
Quote from Rauen :I'm just trying to figure out why did they make an update system if there isn't any update anymore.

Please tell us your conclusions if you find them.
Thought the same thing
Quote from Rauen :65 pages and no update.

I'm just trying to figure out why did they make an update system if there isn't any update anymore.

And if you bothered to read the LFS website you'd know it arrives in 2009, once we hit the year 3000 we come around again from B.C etc.
Be nice, be cool, be informed, be inpowered!
Quote from Gunn :@DarwinAce: I suggest you read the entire topic so that you have at least a basic idea about the subject. If you already did understand the topic you probably wouldn't have posted what you just posted. You wouldn't have needed to post it and you most likely wouldn't have wanted to either.

@ all other dissenters:
All LFS license holders have got exactly what they paid for, and the vast majority of us got a whole lot more.

People are frustrated/emotional/upset because they aren't getting what they want. I am most certain that the LFS devs can not ever give us all that we want. What the LFS devs have already created and continue to refine and to build on is very good indeed (otherwise all these people wouldn't be here getting frustrated and angry and demanding more). None of us would be here if we didn't already respect this sim, and none of us needed to be here in the first place.

LFS isn't all you want it to be? Can't seem to do anything about it? No crisis line to call? Can't find any community help groups? Running low on your medication? Then go and enjoy something else, because you certainly aren't enjoying yourself here. And if by chance your original goal was only to be miserable and drag others down with you - you've succeeded.

Congratu****inglations.

Gunn,
I agree with all the above, but the occasional info update would be nice. You know...
"Hi guys, we are still here working hard to get the next update out.... our systems fell over last week recking 4 weeks worth of work but we are back up to speed now. Frank has been ill for a month now putting us....." you get the idea.
Last post on the website is about the server move in Feb, 5 months ago.
Promised cars, tracks and other updates have not arrive with little or no reason for the delay... official delay, look to the web site not the forums.
Any way its not a bitch just an expectation to be given information.
Yes some of you joined when it was new and you have received a great deal of improvement for nothing but some of us brought in at this point in time and have received very little... it's all relevant!
Patiently we wait.
But dont knock us... i guess as a moderator you have a little more info and thats fine.
As for reading the whole thing it's 66 pages long.... please!
Quote from Waste Me :
Promised

Orly?

Quote from Scawen, after the Scirocco planned release date announced :We are pleased to announce that we plan to release the new VW Scirocco in Live for Speed during the week ending Friday 19th December.

Quote from Scawen, after the VWS was postponed :We are sorry to have to announce that the VW Scirocco will not be released this week as planned.

Quote :i guess as a moderator you have a little more info and thats fine.

This might sound astonishing, but no, most of them haven't. LFS Forum moderator =/= LFS beta tester. As mentionned a mod earlier this week, the devs aren't even using this forum for the development related discussions, even not in the private sections.
What's sadly missed are those type of teaser videos or screenshots, showing progress, new tracks and features, even if they aren't final or still buggy. They only take minutes to make and deliver a big hit of enthusiasm to the community, which at this point is greatly need.

They have done this in the past when a release was getting close, but we've seen nothing like this for a very long time and " working on it" does little to spark any community interest.

At this point in time a lot of the community would be greatful for any meaningful update with a bit of substance.
Wow this thread is getting ridiculously big:
200 000+ views,
1900+ posts,
66+ pages.

I've seen quite a bit of small dev teams (game mods mostly) use an update blog, once a month,
game related or not, they put a few lines just to show they are alive. I still think it could help all this
useless b!tching and moaning. If Scawen has the flu for a month, he can just write that No need for
false promises or pressure. Heck lots of people were helping out when he bought his house, had a whole
thread on it if i remember...

Seriously though, i understand both sides and there's just no perfect solution. We need to wait, and to help
waiting, people need entertainement. Some come here to chat, some play other games, some come here just
to complain. In all cases, as Gunn noted, if you still come here looking for updates, then you obviously like this
game enough to be bothered with waiting so long with no update

Threaten to leave all you want, we know deep down you really like LFS
Only 40 pages for me.

Quote from Fonnybone :I've seen quite a bit of small dev teams (game mods mostly) use an update blog, once a month, game related or not, they put a few lines just to show they are alive. I still think it could help all this useless b!tching and moaning. If Scawen has the flu for a month, he can just write that No need for false promises or pressure. Heck lots of people were helping out when he bought his house, had a whole thread on it if i remember...

+1
Quote from Fonnybone :
Threaten to leave all you want, we know you really like LFS deep down

It's not so much people here threatening to leave. Rather the ones that come here and bitch and vent are saddened and frustrated. More often than not, they're champions of the game. The ones who follow the game closely. They run races, leagues, servers, organise teams make mods and attract 1000's more to the game. They fed off the devs engagement and continued release cycles and it maintained interest and a healthy LFS community. That all stopped and the years of work building up localised LFS leagues and events evaporated with lost hope of some update or content release.

Now the devs owe these LFS champions nothing, it was there own initiative. However it was mutually beneficial. The devs sold more licenses and the champions got the communities and competition.

Why bite the hand that feeds you?

We're now at the point where the devs show a lot of contempt for those who question LFS progress. The same ones who are witnessing, once thriving communities built over many years, whither away. And for what?... A few minutes a week, to engage the community, with a few words, screen shot or two, or even a video, to help sell the LFS message.

The fact we've seen very little quantifiable evidence of progress for so long, is truly worrying. Sure the champions will hang around for whatever update materialises, but the damage to reputation and future prospects of LFS, will be a big hurdle to overcome if the old prosperous days are to return.

The statistics of this thread speak for themselves. The devs need to show some initiative and put LFS back on track otherwise they are just wasting their time pursuing a dream that will never meet reality.
Quote from Macfox :
Why bite the hand that feeds you?

There's truth to this. Years ago I used to present LFS to many new people which usually resulted in them buying a license. After all, LFS was better than the opposition at the time and the development was still lively and community based with all the test patches going on. I can't think of doing that anymore in the current situation.

The community have done a great deal of service for the devs in unofficially marketing the sim for new users.
Quote from Fonnybone :Wow this thread is getting ridiculously big:
200 000+ views,
1900+ posts,
66+ pages.

Imagine how big it would be if we had one the same moan thread since Scirocco was announced, this one is only from 25th November 2009.
Second Z patch anniversary just passed, that's the longest space between patch releases in the whole LFS story.

amount of time between patch releases + number of progress reports + things comming in the next patch = number of moans, complains and unanswered questions

Is that simple.
Miserably.
Quote from macfox :what's sadly missed are those type of teaser videos or screenshots, showing progress, new tracks and features, even if they aren't final or still buggy. They only take minutes to make and deliver a big hit of enthusiasm to the community, which at this point is greatly need.

+1
I would love to see a blog with monthly(or weelky?) updates, even if theres nothing to update. It can't be worse than 5~ months without a post.
Quote from Nadeo4441 :I would love to see a blog with monthly(or weelky?) updates, even if theres nothing to update.

Do you realize that this doesn't make sense?
Once upon a time...

The characteristic behaviour in the forum is dividing and labelling people as either fanboy or whiner. There is no commonsense and no tolerance toward different thoughts. And of course we observe some genuine fanboys and special whiners. We can't help alter egos. This is another issue. So let's go back to LFS.

1- Personally, I appreciate Scavier. A huge work and only 3 devs... This is a given.

2- Lack of comms: A big yes, for this. Scawen was sharing his family photos or moving house issues 2 years ago. But today.. Devs' attitude has totally changed. We can't oblige devs to say something.

3- The forum is a great treasury for devs at the same time. Ideas, suggestions, debates, brilliant add-ons, talented programmers, digital artists, and so on. But devs don't utilize this opportunity sufficiently.

4- Patch issue: I know that devs don't owe us and I read EULA. Legally devs are decision makers. They are free to cut off the updates. ATM, stopping patch releasing probably might be a disapointment reason, not accusing cause the devs.

5- Slow development speed: As same as #4.. For further see: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=1143940#post1143940

PS: No update on the graph. From Patch Z to Patch Z25 takes 483 days (to Z28 511 days).
Quote from zeugnimod :Do you realize that this doesn't make sense?

Accualy, it does, it would be nice that community would see that all devs would post something, like said on upper, exapmle that Scawen is having a flu, who cares, but we would see that they are alive
Quote from manneF1 :Accualy, it does, it would be nice that community would see that all devs would post something, like said on upper, exapmle that Scawen is having a flu, who cares, but we would see that they are alive

I don't think I'll ever get that.

Of course they are alive. You don't need an update progress blog to see that.

Just join #liveforspeed for proof.
You are the alpha testers of LFS, and you are even paying for it

I'm going to buy an S2 license really soon, but for me, at least everything is new under the sun.

I wonder about the new patch... something is crystallizing in my mind, as the problem is not with the physics, but how can the computer calculate such a physics (it has to be reverted to less calculation, but same effect).

Quote :- AI driver improvements

Ahh, another problem, since the AI is stupid as hell , and making it normally workable, is quite a hard thing (making them let you go with blue flag at the right spot, etc.). Online racing simulator, but which racing game doesn't have AI?

Quote :- Limited setup system

Programming switch off
I keep wondering why are the devs so reluctant to drop a few lines once in a while. I don't demand any regular development reports, messages like "Hey guys, I took a vacation so no work has been done since the last report" once-twice a month would suffice. Come on guy, for all we know you might be working on some extremely detailed damage model or taking a course of surviving in Botswana. Would it really hurt you that much to spend few minutes informing us what's going on?
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG