The online racing simulator
Quote from tristancliffe :pi has been solved to a large degree of accuracy - poor analogy.

Just to add to this statement:
There's a program called SuperPI which makes the computer able to calculate up to 32 million PI characters in about 20 minutes (depending on processor). It's even used to test how well the processor performs.
im calculating 32m digits of pi as we speak

it finished 2 loops or whatever it calls them and it has been working for like a minute or two, there are 20 loops
Thneed
All the next update needs is a Thneed.
This thing is a Thneed.
A Thneed's a Fine-Something-That-All-People-Need!
It's a shirt. It's a sock. It's a glove. It's a hat.
But it has OTHER uses. Yes, far beyond that.
You can use it for carpets. For pillows! For sheets!
Or curtains! Or covers for bicycle seats!"
Sorted !
Attached images
Thneed.jpg
Lol what the **** is that?
Oh wait.. it has nice boobs! Can I have one!?

Either way, to justify this post and to answer Senn - Sure, I agree some of the posts could be saved from the forum, and rather be used in a PM or other conversation. But if you look at it, it turned a negative posting trend into some positive, and possible saved this thread from a other flamefest. So all in all - spam yes, did i contributede to the topic - hardly, but overall I think it was a nice save
Quote from The Very End :Lol what the **** is that?
Oh wait.. it has nice boobs! Can I have one!?

Either way, to justify this post and to answer Senn - Sure, I agree some of the posts could be saved from the forum, and rather be used in a PM or other conversation. But if you look at it, it turned a negative posting trend into some positive, and possible saved this thread from a other flamefest. So all in all - spam yes, did i contributede to the topic - hardly, but overall I think it was a nice save

Heh, interesting.

I guess spam is ok, so long as it is funny/positive i.e not just throwing insults. If you and another member are just having a bit of banter (you and zeug for example) and people read it and find it funny (logitek) then everyone is happier, and it reduces the flaming and whining.

Yay. Group Hugs. The End.
Quote from brandons48 :Heh, interesting.

I guess spam is ok, so long as it is funny/positive i.e not just throwing insults. If you and another member are just having a bit of banter (you and zeug for example) and people read it and find it funny (logitek) then everyone is happier, and it reduces the flaming and whining.

Yay. Group Hugs. The End.

I found it very funny too.
But I didn't feel the need to say so when they first posted it.

*hugs*
As you say, some off topic - side talk does not hurt that much, but too much is not good. I'll take some of the responsebility for the spam, but again I would like you to remind you that it overall did avoid a flamewar

So, I think trying to stay on topic is one of the main things to keep in mind, but beeing positive and helpfull towards others is the most important thing to remember.

Also, this topic serves no purpose anymore, other than working as a stress relife for those who cannot wait for the patch to come. Better to keep all the trash in one topic, than throwing the trash out all over the forum
Oh, so Velociround accpets the group hugs, and you don't?

Well then, fine. I'll see you in the picture thread.

Humph. :worried:
(Joking.)

We should do this everytime a thread about the patch comes out.

If it's someone asking when it's coming out just say..

"We don't know, check the official thread.
So, what are you guys doing on the weekend?"

Then everyone else will be like "Oh, hey, i'm gonna get laid " and all teh guys are like "WooHoo! Get in there!" and then this fanboy/whiner comes in and says "Ahhh, we're never gonna get it " and some dude says "What? You ain't getting any action? Bwhahaha!" and everyone else is like "lol" and the fanboy/whiner/person is like "omg, no i meant the patch" and everyone is like "haaaa" and then Scawen comes and reads the thread, he laughs and thinks "haha, no flaming for a change, TVE and Brandon have really changed the community, I think i'll give them S3 Beta codes.." (wink wink Scawen? )

Oh, yeah, it's easter. It's the chocolate eggs okay? I'm sorry!
Your such and crack-head mate, stop smoking

That would mean off topic to everything, but also it has a point : Taking everything that goes into a negative path and turn it into some funny-off topic talk It would work, alltho it would create a mess on the forum.
(but I seriously lol'ed at the post above, you crazy crazy man lol)

So we have the option to chose :
Spam
War/bitching
Hmm.. not so good alternatives for the forum if you ask me

But as said, more humor, more friendliness to the forum and specially towards new users is a big +1 I agree from me. I like the newbie part of the forum, there is a lot of questions answered well there, I do hope this is something that also starts to happen on the other parts of the forum. The Main LFS part of the forum is often the place where the most bitching happens, when it's about development speed and different opinions. As stated before we all have different opinions, but we have to accept that without needing to go in the insulting discussions.
Yeah, it's either the humourous discussion or someone says something so random and out of place that no-one has a bloody clue what to say

But maybe we should stop filling this thread up now
rubber baby buggy bummpers
Quote from legoflamb :rubber baby buggy bummpers

hot, smoking, rubber, tyre, from, scirocco, is, wanted.
Quote from nesrulz :Another 10.000 + post counter... :rolleyes:

Using someone's post count against them is the cheapest of cheap shots. :rolleyes:
Hey guys, i tryed to read some of the last pages of this thread, searching for some information regarding the patch but all i saw was lots of spam :P .

Im not critisizing anyone, i just wanted to know how's the progress. Should we expect something soon or will we have to wait another year?

Its a shame that the best racing simulator is so still in development... I know its just a few guys working on it, but as i recall, the Scirroco and the tyre physics are being anounced since august of 2008! And by that time, the Scirroco model was already designed and prety much perfect.

Lots of people i know that where regular on LFS for years just dont play anymore because they got bored. Some (not so knowned) teams simply vanished from the map...and for me, its realy sad to see this. Even i am strugling to stay true to LFS, wich is by far my favorite car sim, but also by far the worst in new content or updates.

I wont loose hope, but sadly, litle by litle, im loosing interest
These are my 2 cents.
Sorry about the english, i try :P
Quote from JBiturbo :i just wanted to know how's the progress. Should we expect something soon or will we have to wait another year?

I can advise you one thing: click "Search" on coammand tab of this forum, choose advanced, then Scawen in "Search by user name", type Scawen, click "Show results" as posts and find the last post. Add 30 days and do not expect anything before this date - as I know Scawen doesnt post reports any more frequent
Quote from JBiturbo :
I wont loose hope, but sadly, litle by litle, im loosing interest

Well there are many alternatives to Lfs and as scawen already wrote we are free to leave and play something else (iRacing, rFactor, Race07...)

I dont expect anything in future tbh, but let's see...
Quote from JBiturbo : as i recall, the Scirroco and the tyre physics are being anounced since august of 2008! And by that time, the Scirroco model was already designed and prety much perfect.

Yes, the Scirocco was announced mid-2008, but the tyre physics update wasn't announced until much later.

The VW was almost ready to go in Dec. 2008, which is why we got the pre-release announcement. However, there were some problems found with the handling, so release was delayed until the infamous "early 2009" to let Scawen sort out the problems.

It turned out that the problems were actually caused by errors in the tyre physics model, so Scawen quietly started research and work on a new model. He didn't announce that he was working on the tyre physics until August 2009 after he knew that the new model was an improvement over the current one.

I'm pretty sure that the 3D model + textures etc for the VWS will have been finished long ago, but the ESP system will need to be (re)written once Scawen has finished the new tyre physics.

Thus concludes a summary of what I understand has gone on with the VWS/Physics announcements. I may have forgotten some things and/or got it a bit wrong, but I doubt it's far off.
An update as to what stage the devs are @ would be nice. Seems we are already into the 2nd quarter of 2010 already. Lets just hope that no news is good news . (although you could call that, blind hope tbh :shrug
I think my hope & good will is beginning to run out.
It's a goob job LFS doesn't actually need any hope and good will. Support it or loathe it, the patch will come when the patch comes. If you like it once it's released then you might come back, if you don't then you won't. Moaning, sarcastic comments or arguing doesn't make the wait shorter or more bearable.
Yeah, resistance is futile.
Yeah, willpower is futile.
Quote from tristancliffe :It's a goob job LFS doesn't actually need any hope and good will. Support it or loathe it, the patch will come when the patch comes. If you like it once it's released then you might come back, if you don't then you won't. Moaning, sarcastic comments or arguing doesn't make the wait shorter or more bearable.

Jesus tris you need to lighten up a little. Did you see the thread title?
This is a lighthearted thread bordering on jovial, trust you to be Mr serious about it.
How do I install the VW Scirocco and new tyre physics model?

:P
Not funny.
:P
Amazing how patient we are
This thread is closed

[OLD] Tyre Physics Progress Report
(4434 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG