The online racing simulator
so still no patch for my horrible in-game blackness bug...btw the link earlier had some info...all of the threads were un-answered though
Quote from swisscosmo : -Is the Mouse Support just for the Menu or is it also for ingame?

menu
Quote from swisscosmo : -How long does it take to complete the whole story line? 4 hours gameplay or 48 hours game play?

depends how often you need to restart a race, how fast your computer can load each race, but keep in mind you will spend more or less one hour loading each race, loading back to the menu and clicking around in the menus, for every one hour you actually are in a race, racing.
Quote from swisscosmo :-Is it worth it?

i didn't like it. at all.
I hated it, liked it a bit, and now hated it again.

once you drove a few interesting cars and seen the tracks, the constant loading and running into AI cars just doesn't seem to worth it at all.
Pros:
-Nice graphics
-Outstanding sounds
-Good game-play

Cons:
Too bad I feel like driving a Pontiac 6000 while racing any car in the game...

This loose wheel feeling need to be fixed or this game wont be a real challenger for new driving games coming.

Something like a center-spring is missing in Force Feedback options.

You can put settings up to 10/10 you still get too much loose in steering.

I'm really glad I'm not having any of the issues you guys are having with crashes, blackness, screwed up steering or anything like that - because unexpectedly, I am really really enjoying this game.

I use 900 Deg steering with a the G25. I have no "dead feeling" in the centre, the force feedback is reasonably done. You can feel oversteer coming, and you can feel the front end losing traction. You can feel when a front wheel locks up. If you have issues with the steering, I suggest you check out their page on how to setup controllers. I leave the Logitech settings the same as I would for LFS and iRacing.

The physics ... for a game like this, are actually very good driving wise. I find myself using all the same inputs I would for LFS and iR and lo and behold, this version of NFS actually does what I expect it to. Although it's probably a tad too forgiving, there isn't really any moments that break the suspension of disbeleive about driving a car.

Last night I was driving the Porche GT2 at the Nord alone, and found the experience to be really really engrossing. This is not just because the presentation (graphics & sound) is excellent, but because the physics actually felt pretty reasonable. On the long straight, I actually felt apprehensive with the car topped out near 300km/h.

As well, coming out of the slow chicane near the end of Spa in a beefed up Z06 is a blast. 2nd gear, 3000rpm, and you have to take it real easy on the throttle coming through & out of there - it just WANTS to break loose and kick your ass. You hear the inside tire starting to light up and feel the car rotating on you and back off just enough - hm, throttle steer in Need for Speed?? What the hell is going on? With 900 degree steering, you really have to be precise there otherwise you'll be looking back where you came. I've only had visceral moments like that in LFS and iR until now. Don't misunderstand, the driving model is not LFS or iR, but for a game like this it really is a "reasonable facsimile thereof".

If they would've went the whole way to make this game a sim it would be pretty damn good. Remove all the arcade elements, the kamikaze AI, the "points" system etc etc. The damage doesn't really exist in terms of consequences.

It is for sure the most fun I've had in any NFS game.
I feel the same way about the physics, but I'm surprised you can control the car with 900 degrees. I had to reduce it to 400, and still have a weird dead feeling on-center. It's like the force feedback kicks in about 20 degrees off-center so it feels like the steering wheel has a lot of freeplay. It's not really a deadzone because the car still responds. It's just the FF. It's not really too bothersome except on straights.
Quote from ultrataco :... It's like the force feedback kicks in about 20 degrees off-center so it feels like the steering wheel has a lot of freeplay. It's not really a deadzone because the car still responds. It's just the FF. It's not really too bothersome except on straights.

Thanks for the good description, I cant explain it better...

Just for curiosity, what platform are you using ? I use PS3 for Shift and a Logitech Driving Force Pro (Left pic)

Keeping my Good old Red Momo (Right pic) for LFS as GT4 (PS3) was not accepting the Momo.

Maybe good critics for wheels comes from other than PS3, because on mine, it's terrible and it clearly need a fix.

See you on the tracks... LFS, Shift, GT5 (?) !
Tried the demo today, have to say I was dissapointed. (On PC)

First off, game would not run like normal before I searched the internet for answer. Had to delete a file in my documents to get the game working.

Graphics are nice, but I don't get a hold on the physics, they are strange. The car seems to just slide around without giving any valuable feedback. It's just spins, spins, and latency on the turning so it gets pretty ridiciolous when you have to plan what to press since it takes like a half second before anything actually happen.

I am sure that can be solved by playing around in the options or use a wheel, but still the way it's not is very...questionable. I fail to see why they released a game with controlls like that, it's beyound me.

Also, having to watch these movies in start / end of race... come on, that's just stupid. They are too long and waiting on them is frustrating and pushing my short temper over the edge.

Uinstalled the demo, was dissapointed, had waited for this
Quote from Zalex :Just for curiosity, what platform are you using ? I use PS3 for Shift ...

I'm using a g25 on PC. I'll try the SHIFT PS3 demo whenever it comes out just for the heck of it, but I prefer PC gaming. I bought a PS3 just for blu-ray and GT5.
Quote from The Very End :Tried the demo today, have to say I was dissapointed. (On PC)

First off, game would not run like normal before I searched the internet for answer. Had to delete a file in my documents to get the game working.

Graphics are nice, but I don't get a hold on the physics, they are strange. The car seems to just slide around without giving any valuable feedback. It's just spins, spins, and latency on the turning so it gets pretty ridiciolous when you have to plan what to press since it takes like a half second before anything actually happen.

I am sure that can be solved by playing around in the options or use a wheel, but still the way it's not is very...questionable. I fail to see why they released a game with controlls like that, it's beyound me.

Also, having to watch these movies in start / end of race... come on, that's just stupid. They are too long and waiting on them is frustrating and pushing my short temper over the edge.

Uinstalled the demo, was dissapointed, had waited for this

Whel alot of people have waited for this and have bieghn disapointed me included.
But with ea we could kind have expected this those EA guys are among the greatest dubmasses in gaming history
I've been playing shift for a few days now and I got to say that I did not like this game. In my opinion, the best NFS game was Need For Speed Carbon or Underground 2. Undercover was good too. I like streetracing and I am not so much into circuit and especially not in Need For Speed.

The car handling in NFS was just way to unrealistic as I drove it and the car just doesn't do what it has to do. While shifting with my G25 stickshift I noticed that the moron in the car actually shifted after I had shifted and not simultaniously.

The first thing that I noticed while getting speed was the blur over the mirrors and my speedometer. So I could not see my revs nor speed nor what was behind me.

The graphics: For some reason I think that the LFS graphics are still way better than that crappy stuff in NFS Shift. The graphics in pro Street were even better than Shift and here I thought a game should grow instead of fail more and more.

Overall I give this game a 5/10, where points are given to the effort put in, the cars and how well you can tune/customize your car (and they haven't gotten a lot of points in there imo)
Quote from mamoru :I've been playing shift for a few days now and I got to say that I did not like this game. In my opinion, the best NFS game was Need For Speed Carbon or Underground 2. Undercover was good too. I like streetracing and I am not so much into circuit and especially not in Need For Speed.

The car handling in NFS was just way to unrealistic as I drove it and the car just doesn't do what it has to do. While shifting with my G25 stickshift I noticed that the moron in the car actually shifted after I had shifted and not simultaniously.

The first thing that I noticed while getting speed was the blur over the mirrors and my speedometer. So I could not see my revs nor speed nor what was behind me.

The graphics: For some reason I think that the LFS graphics are still way better than that crappy stuff in NFS Shift. The graphics in pro Street were even better than Shift and here I thought a game should grow instead of fail more and more.

Overall I give this game a 5/10, where points are given to the effort put in, the cars and how well you can tune/customize your car (and they haven't gotten a lot of points in there imo)

Oh my GOD!
Quote from mamoru :I've been playing shift for a few days now and I got to say that I did not like this game. In my opinion, the best NFS game was Need For Speed Carbon or Underground 2. Undercover was good too. I like streetracing and I am not so much into circuit and especially not in Need For Speed.

IMO undercover was the worst pile off cow poo to ever enter the lineup of NFS
I sstil love Most wanted for sheer cop madnes. At level 7 heat it was just crazy SUV some rocketing at me.

But i think thiss is actualy the among the best NFS games ever made shift becau for NFS standarts its awosmenes.
And NFS porsche is by far the best ever.
I liked High Stakes the best, with NFSII a close second.
NFSII were one of those games I used most time on.
Sure, the graphics were not that nice, nor were the actually driving physics, but it was fun! Not bling-bling fest and anoyance, just pure fun.
A game doesn't need to be simulator to be fun, it just need to feel "complete" and "done".
Quote from Chrisuu01 :But i think thiss is actualy the among the best NFS games ever made shift becau for NFS standarts its awosmenes.
And NFS porsche is by far the best ever.

I'd rate the driving wheel even higher than NFS Porsche which has it's own flaws, such as physics engine's inability to deal with tight, cambered corners. Also the steering feel is just as vague, works fine for old era Porsches but not for modern race versions.

Carbon, Underground and especially Undercover... best NFS games ever? Allright... I get it, you like illegal street racing, flashing neons, ricy bodykits and all that good stuff that by general belief of a regular street racer or a ricer, makes your penis grow.... I mean... car go faster...
and by that same paragraph Im guessing that NFS Porsche 2000 and Shift and (remotely) Pro Street are not your cup of tea... Which leaves me with a question... How on earth did you end up with an S2 license?

Anyway, on topic.
Played for 2 days now... must say it's a big step forward for NFS series. Pro Street was like a breath of fresh air given to you in a sewer of the Underground/undercover/carbon/most wanted, and Shift is like actually finding the exit of the sewer...

Wheel feels weird, hard to keep the car straight with it even in a straight line, and when you remove the sensitivity, it feels numb and nonresponsive...
Blur is "meh" , but I got used to it... looking at the road, not at the interior... and some more modifying options of the cars would be good, but I'd rather have 3 pre-made kits that were made properly and looking decent, than a ton of crap we were supplied with since Underground first reared it's ugly head.
I still wish it was supercars on open roads like the good old days of NFS, but sadly, that area is ruled by TDU now
Drifting also feels weird, I get the idea of the accelerator pedal being the most important thing in drifting, but not to that extent. I ended up pressing it with just a tip of my toe... and that's probably way too sensitive about the accelerator position (back in the days I was working as a used sportscar salesman, I had some cars to play with, and none of them required that much pedalwork while sliding)

But that still does't necessarily make the game bad.

In short - game is good, I'd recommend at least getting a demo

p.s: and my opinion , the top 3 NFS games are : NFS 5 : PU ; NFS : Shift ; The Need for Speed (1995)... followed by NFS : PS, and then NFS 3 and 4, then 6 and then 2, and then all the streetracing stuff we've been fed for the last 7 years
Bought Shift on Friday and I think it's alright. Beats the last load of NFS titles EA released even if the handling does still feel a bit like ProStreet.

Not really played it that much as I was staying at a mates and not really indoors much. From the time I did get to play, I got to level 11 or 12, tried the drifting event and went out. I'll give it another go soon now that i'm home.

It'll give me something new to play while I wait for Forza 3.
now who is going to create the new thread 'the Forza might actually become even more playable again'
Quote from squidhead :... How on earth did you end up with an S2 license?

Hahaha, had same question poping in mind when I read mamoru post ! :monkey:

''I like streetracing and I am not so much into circuit...'' :drummer::riceboy:

mamoru, you must be disapointed of LFS on every patch they make then !

You must have a reason to be on this forum and obviously it's not because you like LFS circuit racing game.

I highly respect your game choices even if I like the total opposite... but I would like to know how you end up posting on a LFS forum if you dont like this kind of game, I mean on track simulation races...the real stuff. :heyjoe67_lotus::lfs:

--- (added after a search on mamoru profile)
--- I Got it, I went to your profile and checked your previous posts.
--- You like LFS for two things: 1. SKINS Customization, 2. Drifting
--- Yup, LFS is so flexible that even guys who dont like circuit races can love it ! hehe
--- Have fun...
What's so special though, sometimes even a sim racer has an arcade side to scratch.
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo : The physics ... for a game like this, are actually very good driving wise. I find myself using all the same inputs I would for LFS and iR and lo and behold, this version of NFS actually does what I expect it to. Although it's probably a tad too forgiving, there isn't really any moments that break the suspension of disbeleive about driving a car.

I guess you didn't drive any of those FF cars or the cayman.

The more I play the more I feel the vagueness in the force feedback, as in turn you don't know how much grip there is with the front tires, and can only rely on the tire sound. Once turned in the cars exhibit very different characteristics, some naturally rotates with the least bit of steering input, some are very touchy with the throttle applicationa and so on.

It feels more and more detached in some cars as I progress, however in some cars it does feel better, allowing me to take the racing line as in I am driving a real neutral car. such as the GT3 RS, but most cars suffer the same problem. It doesn't protray the sense of being near the limit good enough for me to drive intuitively. It is challenging indeed, but more like hanging onto a grumpy horse, I don't feel I am taking an initiative to the driving, just reacting to whatever the car wants to do.

I know many of the LFSers never seriously played Rfactor, but in historix Mod's Shelby Cobra on the Ring, is where you can get truely scared, and yet also you are in control, you can push the car in an very accurate manner and only if you overstep it, it kills you instantly.

Of course it is asking too much for a NFS game to be comparable with that, however it is one thing that I find I used as a personal reference, and that somehow halted me from progressing the game further.

It is a very good game (if without the bugs), it surpassed my expectation originally, and even though I stopped progressing now I still keep it on my harddrive, waiting if sometime a patch will pop up.
all i want is to get my hdmi cabe so i can see if that fixes the problem with uber darkness
I don't think playing arcades and simulators together is bad thing.

For example, I oftenly enjoy Trackmania or Burnout Paradise, and don't find it any bad.
To all who are thinking I am crazy for buying LFS: For some reason LFS feels different. It is true that I like streetracing more than circuit but it is more that I like the handling of the car, the true feeling and the feeling that all that is happening would feel rather real. That is the big deal in games for me.

LFS has that; true car handling, realistic gaming, etc. Now, you may call me ricer or that my penis grows of what ever but the true thing is that in my list the true feeling has to come first. I don't really care about graphics or anything.

(and the reason I am drifting and cruising is because I always end up last in every race I do.. so then I go drift : D )

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG