The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
I tried the BMW 1 series mod at my friends house yesterday. It didn't feel all that bad tbh.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I tried the BMW 1 series mod at my friends house yesterday. It didn't feel all that bad tbh.

Aww man, that don't work for me. I get some strange error while the track is loading for that car.
On a constructive note...

Well. Let me first say that rFactor is a mess considering all the mods. I tried only the demo and while that confirms that I didn't get very far into that I know that all the mods available are a hodgepodge in rFactor.

That said and in a attempt to be constructive and not condescending to another persons preference in simulator i offer this:

What rFactor needs is a package management system for the mod community for better organization of modifactions. This is very popular in the linux operating system world and could be created from existing technology for a community like the mod community of rFactor or any community that wants to release content in a orderly fashion.

Please read the material at this link and use you imagination of what is possible. We may someday need a similar system for LFS if modifications are allowed at any point in the future of the future of LFS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Package_management_system

-Jay
Quote from jbirdaspec :What rFactor needs is a package management system for the mod community for better organization of modifactions.

I totally agree. The community have made a pretty average out-of-the-box game into a very good sim but what rFactor always needed was a consistent way of installing them. I can't believe it was overlooked.
Sure any game suitable for mods, not just rFactor, should come with a management system for dl, install and control versions.

I think it is pure lazy of the devs, because it is a very simple system to build.

Specially a game exclusively made for mods, as rFactor, it must be considered an obligation, not just a mere possibility.

But one thing must be said, that rFactorcentral does a good job with this. You can find everything around the game there, and for sure, there is not any server that really matters, that has not its mods at two clicks in the rfcentral.
i never had any problem installing a mod in rfactor, but on the other hand...

1. i read the readme
2. i use a fresh install of rfactor lite for almost every mod i like to race. it does not use much diskspace and i simply copy my profile/realfeel to the new install. voila, the mod is installed! that way i can easily delete mods without having nasty sideeffects on other mods. also the loadtime of rfactor is quicker.
my rfactor tracks are stored seperately, every rfactorinstall uses this folder.

right now i have a these rfactorinstalls:
VLN2005mod (185 cars, with 76 different carphysics, 29 Basemodels, definately worth a new rfinstall)
Historic GT (47 different models and 250 liveries, worth a new rfinstall)
Bockbierbude (automatically updated with the bockbierbude-app for use of many different car-mods on a bockbierbudeserver, over 50 different models)
TestRF (to test new stuff, with lots of mods, if its broken, delete and reinstall)

I think many users make the mistake of installing too many mods on a single rfactor installation.

i understand that a package system would make it all easier, but it's pretty easy as it is, if you are careful. Just don't install too much in one RF-installation (i know it's possible to install many mods on one installation without having trouble, but once you got a problem with conflicting mods, it's a mess).
if you google the interview with the developer of rFactor about rFactor 2 which will come out this year probably you see there will be a big fix about the modding issue:

installing new mods in rfactor2 will be more like installing add-ons in firefox.

just click and install packages, no hassling about files ect.

they will also implement live-weather with different weather conditions on different parts of the track. sun/rain will influence the grip on track ect. etc.

i think this will be huge and i hope lfs can bring up something by the time they release rfactor2 or it will die sooner or later just because of its outdated grafic and physics-engine
Quote from Fetzo :...my rfactor tracks are stored seperately, every rfactorinstall uses this folder...

1) How do you point that folder to the new installation?

2) Does it need to unlock every new instalation?

thanks
Quote from Speed Soro :1) How do you point that folder to the new installation?

2) Does it need to unlock every new instalation?

thanks

1.) i am not at home, but i found an instruction on the USF1racing.com-website here it is:

Quote :I have multi RF instals Tintop's & open wheel mods and others but with that comes a bunch of tracks MB of space. Having every circuit install in each Rfactor instal takes up a ton of space plus Rfactor loads much slower. So here is a small tweak to allow you to have every track for each install and take up very limted space in one copy. In your main Rfactor install The directory should look like this X:\program files\rfactor\gamedata\locations put all your tracks in this rfactor install. In the additional rfactor installs look for the config.ini file in serach for a line that says TracksDir=GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\ now edit this file to say TracksDir=X:\PROGRAM FILES\RFACTOR\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\ or the correct directory where you put all your tracks. now just save and close the config file and you have now saved a ton of space you can delete all tracks in the location folder of all the other Rfactor installs.

As it is said above, you only have to edit the TracksDir-Parameter. You should use an absolute path not a relative one to avoid confusion.

2.)If you already have an unlocked rfactor on your system, you can have many other installs without having to unlock them. at least i think so. i never had to unlock my new installs.
Thankyou very much for the tips. I'll make a new fresh installation and starting doing things more organized here
Quote from Speed Soro :Sure any game suitable for mods, not just rFactor, should come with a management system for dl, install and control versions.

I think it is pure lazy of the devs, because it is a very simple system to build.

Specially a game exclusively made for mods, as rFactor, it must be considered an obligation, not just a mere possibility.

But one thing must be said, that rFactorcentral does a good job with this. You can find everything around the game there, and for sure, there is not any server that really matters, that has not its mods at two clicks in the rfcentral.

I don't think it is up to devs how the content for an open content sim is distributed. If it was, then they would also be responsible for the content on the package management system. I believe it is up to the community to build these networks and application to distribute content.

The best thing about a package management system is keeping up with dependencies. Example: two mods might be dependent on on one texture file. There is no reason in having it twice downloaded. If the mod was distributed on a package management system, the system would know the dependencies of each mod and what you already have that wouldn't have to be downloaded again. This would streamline the mod installation process from a technical standpoint as well as simplifying it for users. The package management system could even know what version of a mod you have installed by updating a small, lite weight database of mods you installed and even un-installed. If the community really got onboard, leagues could even specify a particular version of a mod they will use for an event and have it available as a download within the package management system.

Sorry to ramble on about this. But I wanted to make sure all knew I was talking about more then just a client reading xml from a website.

-Jay
Jay, I work with content management systems like that on a daily basis. In theory it's a good idea, but in practice it's an insanely complicated solution!
It took me 3 installs and 2 downloads to like rFactor.
First install, I played 30 minutes of the 60 minute demo and decided.... "This game is f***ing GARBAGE!" Uninstalled pronto.
I started reading threads like this (this one and threads on other forums) and decided to give it a second chance. This time I got 15 minutes into the 30 remaining minutes and again... "WTF! GARBAGE!!!" Uninstalled again and deleted installer.
After re-reading some of the good points about rFactor (ie MODS) on this thread, I decided to give it a third go. I downloaded rfactor lite and installed it again, except this time I actually purchased the license and downloaded the WTCC BMW E90 v1.03 mod (includes real feel plugin) and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. My reaction... WOW! rFactor really is MUCH better with mods. In fact, with this mod, I actually prefer it over LFS... the feel of it anyway. I prefer LFS when it comes to racing online, as finding a 'pick up' race on rfactor is a giant clusterf**k... (Have to have the right version of the mod and right version of the track). Also, LFS World is awesome, and to my knowledge there is nothing like that for rFactor. Both sims have their pros and cons, and I'll be putting in virtual seat time in both.
Moral of the story... rFactor demo is GARBAGE!
Quote from Deesiel :Moral of the story... rFactor demo is GARBAGE!

That is exactly right.

While LFS demo is exactly what the game is, rF demo is much less than the full game.

It is a heavy mistake from the rF developers, because you can't expect that a new user will realize the need of dl and install mods to get a decent experience.

They should dispose a better content for the demo, so their sales would grow up.
Quote from Speed Soro :That is exactly right.

While LFS demo is exactly what the game is, rF demo is much less than the full game.

It is a heavy mistake from the rF developers, because you can't expect that a new user will realize the need of dl and install mods to get a decent experience.

They should dispose a better content for the demo, so their sales would grow up.

Agreed. The mod I added made the experience WAY BETTER than the demo. Not everyone is stupid enough to purchase a program that they tested for 45 minutes and hated. (like me)
Quote from Deesiel :Agreed. The mod I added made the experience WAY BETTER than the demo. Not everyone is stupid enough to purchase a program that they tested for 45 minutes and hated. (like me)

That is the reason I did resist and I didn't buy GRID.
The temptation was large and strong, but I did resist, cause I tried the demo once, and hated it (I loved the graphics). Then I tried a second time months after, and I hated again. Then I decided: if someday I buy this game, it will be when it costs U$1,00 on the Steam.

(BTW it has a decent physics for colisions and bumps, but a weird ffb and a ridiculous grip)
Check the new laser scanned track: Oran Park
Its great! I only complain textures, but not bad
Go drive it
i decided to try my hand at the sebring 12h race today. managed to push my ING porsche P2 car to hour 10 with the help of ai but hit the restart race key by accident. we were a minute behind a lola ex257 and gaining fast for that 13th spot too. Too much fun
Quote from Sueycide_FD :i decided to try my hand at the sebring 12h race today. managed to push my ING porsche P2 car to hour 10 with the help of ai but hit the restart race key by accident. we were a minute behind a lola ex257 and gaining fast for that 13th spot too. Too much fun

Huh? How can you let the AI do a stint for you?
Quote from DevilDare :Huh? How can you let the AI do a stint for you?

b-spec style!

Gran Turismo 4 reference
Quote from Speed Soro :Everybody agree that LFS is the best handling, the best feeling, the more easy one-click-to-race, and so on, but nobody is playing it.

There are just as many, if not more, drivers on public servers in the evening, Eastern Time USA, with Live For Speed than in rFactor.

I have no problem finding a public race at any time of the evening with LFS. Can't say the same in rFactor unless I want to jump into a Megane crashfest.

Take care,
PK
This is ridiculous. LiveForSpeed is a game. Anyone can control slides etc. rFactor is a simulator. Cars a realistic to drive and you just can't fix a slide by pressing your foot down LOL. Actually rFactor isn't a game. It's just a game motor. So the real game material (cars, tracks) is found here. I just hope that people would start to understand the difference of a game(lfs) and a simulator(rFactor). But still rFactor isn't the most realistic simulator. It's GPL!

All finnish lfs drivers should visit this site www.trellet.net. It's the biggest finnish simulator community.
Quote from Joon@s :This is ridicilous. LiveForSpeed is a game. A 3 years old can drive fastin lfs. rFacto is a simulator. Cars a realistic to drive and you just can't fix a slide by pressing your foot down LOL. Actually rFactor isn't a game. It's just a game motor. So the real game material (cars, tracks) is found here. I just hope that people would start to understand the difference of a game(lfs) and a simulator(rFactor). But still rFactor isn't the most realistic simulator. It's GPL!

All finnish lfs drivers should visit this site www.trellet.net. It's the biggest finnish simulator community.

lol?

are you serious? or are you just a rFactor fanboy? yes i like rFactor too but lfs is more hardcore and rfactor is more of a "game" which i play sometimes when i am bored and want to drive on nurburgring.
Quote from Joon@s :I'm an rTracktor fanboy and make no sence at all!

Then why buy this game in the first place? You get a pretty decent picture by giving the demo a shot...

EDIT: Thanks for the Legends broadcasts tho, I'm laughing my ass off.
Quote from Joon@s :This is ridiculous. rFactor is a game. Anyone can control slides etc. LFS is a Simulator. Cars a realistic to drive and you just can't fix a slide by pressing your foot down LOL. Actually rFactor isn't a game. It's just a game motor. So the real game material (cars, tracks) is found here. I just hope that people would start to understand the difference of a simulator(LFS) and a game(rFactor). But still rFactor isn't the most realistic simulator. It's LFS!

All finnish rFactor drivers should visit this site www.lfsforum.net. It's the best simulator community.

Thanks for the laugh, i think its corrected now.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG