The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from Joon@s :This is ridiculous. LiveForSpeed is a game. Anyone can control slides etc. rFactor is a simulator. Cars a realistic to drive and you just can't fix a slide by pressing your foot down LOL. Actually rFactor isn't a game. It's just a game motor. So the real game material (cars, tracks) is found here. I just hope that people would start to understand the difference of a game(lfs) and a simulator(rFactor). But still rFactor isn't the most realistic simulator. It's GPL!

All finnish lfs drivers should visit this site www.trellet.net. It's the biggest finnish simulator community.

Yea I like rF too. But LFS's physics motor is way more complex and realistic than rF. They both succesfully can give a very realistic simulation of how car behaves and feels like, but LFS is more close.

And actually driving a real car in slide and fixing the slide is pretty damn easy if you just know what you're doing.
LFS for life!!!!
Well... I think lfs people are more like "fanboys". I'm not saying anything about singleseaters, because I'm not so much into them, but they feel pretty "real" in lfs. In rFactor you must choose the right mod to get the realistic feeling. I played lfs 4 months before finding rFactor and I just loved it from the first moment. Lfs is just childrens playground with cruise servers etc... Both are good and I'm not saying that lfs is worse than rFactor, it just isn't as realistic and flexible as rFactor. The biggest problem in lfs is the grip. There isn't enough of grip. Feels like your always powersliding and not going fast. My opinion is what it is. Lfs is a good game, but not the best simulator.

edit: Drifting with a real car isn't as easy as in lfs. Thats the biggest problem in lfs. A 10 year old kid goes play some cruise server and learns to drive and drift a bit and then he thinks that he can handle a real car... It isn't that easy. Also most of the lfs drivers are too yung to even drive a real car. It just feels like ur driving on snow or somthing in lfs :S

I'm laughing my ass of here everybody are so pissed off here. It seems like everybody here are like 12 yers old. Anyway if you go to rFactor forum and say that lfs is best you get same kind of text.

Trellet.net is also gonna have a lfs league if there's enough drivers. It jus seems that most of the finnish lfs drivers aren't interested in real racing in leagues, or they do that abroad.

Sorry for bad english, I'm really tired.
Meh, rFactor and LFS have pros and cons, but in very different ways. Due to this, it is quite hard to compare the two games. LFS wins in Eye candy, physics and the easy-to-navigate Online mode, but lacks in fun offline. rFactor is almost the opposite. There is a wide variation in vehicles and tracks, the AI are very intelligent, but the Online can be quite complex. They seem very different in comparison, but they are aiming to be one thing: The best racing simulator.

I would go on to Iracing, but C'mon, in the long run you'll find out it'll eat into your pockets. And that ain't good in the credit crunch. Good luck getting buyers Iracing Devs.
I've never played iRacing, but I've heard that it's good. I don't know much about rfs online racing cause usually I just connect to a server directly from my desktop. I've never just gone to rf online lobby and gone racing. Lfs is good for just going online when ever u want and racing and rf is more like a league system.
Quote from Joon@s :
edit: Drifting with a real car isn't as easy as in lfs. Thats the biggest problem in lfs. A 10 year old kid goes play some cruise server and learns to drive and drift a bit and then he thinks that he can handle a real car... It isn't that easy. Also most of the lfs drivers are too yung to even drive a real car. It just feels like ur driving on snow or somthing in lfs :S

I'm laughing my ass of here everybody are so pissed off here. It seems like everybody here are like 12 yers old. Anyway if you go to rFactor forum and say that lfs is best you get same kind of text.

I dunno about others but I wasn't pissed.

A normal road car with normal road tires in smooth asphalt is actually surprisingly slippery, LFS models this quite nicely. One of the reasons why it feels more slow is because you can't feel G-forces etc. the feel of speed isn't same like IRL.
When you get your tires hot in LFS, then it feels like a snow, that I have to admit.

GTR cars with slicks in LFS have tons of grip, they really go fast around corners, IRL with the same cornering speeds you would be feeling tons of G-forces and getting, maybe even a scary amount of feel of speed.

Yes rF is very good too and with the right mods really close to reality too. But the physics engine often produces some unnatural behavior.

And oh btw with proper mod rF is as slippery as LFS is, depending on the car of course.
Quote from Joon@s :Both are good and I'm not saying that lfs is worse than rFactor, it just isn't as realistic and flexible as rFactor. The biggest problem in lfs is the grip. There isn't enough of grip. Feels like your always powersliding and not going fast. My opinion is what it is. Lfs is a good game, but not the best simulator.

edit: Drifting with a real car isn't as easy as in lfs. Thats the biggest problem in lfs. A 10 year old kid goes play some cruise server and learns to drive and drift a bit and then he thinks that he can handle a real car... It isn't that easy. Also most of the lfs drivers are too yung to even drive a real car. It just feels like ur driving on snow or somthing in lfs :S ...

I'm taking it that this all is due to your tiredness since that really sounds like a fanboy attitude. First of all realism and flexibility have nothing to do with each other. I don't race race cars in real life, but I've chosen lfs to be the best alternative with the best knowledge I've got. I'm sure there are rfactor mods which provide "better" physics than lfs, but they still are very good in lfs. I presume that is also why there are some real life racers in the lfs community.

Quote :

Trellet.net is also gonna have a lfs league if there's enough drivers. It jus seems that most of the finnish lfs drivers aren't interested in real racing in leagues, or they do that abroad.

To an extent, but to me you're the twelve-year-old. Many people here admit the faults of lfs as few games are perfectly realistic. You can not come here telling us how superior rTracktor is when there is a slight chance LFS actually might be a potentiallly good racing simulator.

There are many active Finns who participate in various leagues. The Finnish lfs-community has variable participation figures in the races they run on every other sunday. The main problem is to get all the active Finns active at the same time. That is why most people go for the international leagues, which I assure you are perfectly acceptable standard - All very much real racing. But obviously it can't be real racing when it's not organized by pel... soz, trellet.

Quote from Joon@s :I've never played iRacing, but I've heard that it's good. I don't know much about rfs online racing cause usually I just connect to a server directly from my desktop. I've never just gone to rf online lobby and gone racing. Lfs is good for just going online when ever u want and racing and rf is more like a league system.

Why does it still have to be so hard to get yourself on track? How lfs' net code is bad for league racing I don't know but it's never hindered me from participating in leagues.
Both games have their pluses and minuses and you'll never get a consensus on which is best. So it's 'best' to agree to disagree and retreat to your neutral corners.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Both games have their pluses and minuses and you'll never get a consensus on which is best. So it's 'best' to agree to disagree and retreat to your neutral corners.

After 51 pages of this thread did you think we'd all get enlightened by your wise words and stop biggering? Naow wai!
Of course not. It's good to discuss the pros and cons of each sim but there'll always be someone that cannot see any good in the other simulation. And at that moment the discussion becomes moronic.
I was being sarcastic there you know...
Quote from hyntty :I was being sarcastic there you know...

Must be broken detector. I knew that one from Hong-Kong was broken..
If I say my opinion about rFactor vs lfs, people start to attack me and say that I'm a fanboy. I'm not a fanboy of anything. I've just played both games about the same time and I feel rFactor not better but more realistic atm. But there you are right that online gaming in lfs is way more easyer than rfactor. When I said that rFactor is flexible I meant that you can mod it and get whatever you want in it. I don't know about driving a real car on limit on smooth tarmak so maybe it feels like in lfs. I doubt it. Still both are good sims and there's no need to make such a big number of my opinion :o
Quote from Joon@s :If I say my opinion about rFactor vs lfs, people start to attack me and say that i'm a fanboy etc. I'm not a fanboy of anything. I've just played both games about the same time and I feel rFactor not better but more realistic atm. But there you are right that online gaming in lfs is way more better than rfactor. When I said that rFactor is flexible I meant that you can mod it and get whatever you want in it. I don't know about driving a real car on limit on smooth tarmak so maybe it feels like in lfs. I doubt it. Still both are good sims and there's no need to make such a big number of my opinion :o

All opinions come down to the same thing, it's all about what you're looking for. I love LFS because of the physics and the online play. I also love rFactor because of the real cars, real tracks, some mods have good physics but I'm really not impressed by the way it feels (even with some of the best mods with realfeel and stuff.)
Quote from Joon@s : Still both are good sims and there's no need to make such a big number of my opinion :o

You're the one who started this bloody bigger in the first place!
Actually I just told my opinion. Then some of you started to defend your beloved lfs. You've heard my opinion and I've heard yours. I respect your opinions and I can now understand them more. Seems that some of you just come here to argue
I play them both, so im a HUUUUUUGE fanboi....

Flame away pl0x
Remind me again, which part of the "lfs is not a racing simulator but a silly unrealistic game" -statement is not deliberate provocation?
Quote from Joon@s : Seems that some of you just come here to argue

Ofcourse if you disrespect LFS.
I think we could separate what is real from what is realistic, when analysing a racing simulator.

IMO, LFS is more realistic and less real, while rFactor is more real and less realistic.

The realism, what means to be realistic, I think is made with those things that give the best immersion, and it starts IMO with the best response, the best feedback about what is going on with your car on the track. And this is something that LFS does much better than rFactor.

LFS would be the best if it could join the realistic feeling with the real thing, what means real tracks (with variable grip) and real cars (with a complete car simulation, like engine and brake heating, just for start the conversation), daylight transitions and climate changes, things that Simbin has made with gMotor2 for long time. rFactor is not GTR, but considering them both use the same engine, we could extend the LFSxRF comparison to LFS x (RF+GTR).
I didn't say that lfs is unrealistic. I just said that I think that it's less realistic than rFactor. It doesen't make lfs unrealistic. And I do respect lfs more than rFactor. Lfs is made by just 3 people and I think that's amazing. The LiveForSpeed World is also amazing and rFactor can't offer anything like it.
I have no idea what is up with you guys. He just came to share his opinion. I bet if someone said a similar thing Joonas said, just being slightly more biased to LFS, no-one would say anything. I know you can't get someone to easily change their opinion. He says rFactor is better in realism, so what? Deal with his opinion and call it a day.
Quote from Furiously-Fast :I have no idea what is up with you guys. He just came to share his opinion. I bet if someone said a similar thing Joonas said, just being slightly more biased to LFS, no-one would say anything. I know you can't get someone to easily change their opinion. He says rFactor is better in realism, so what? Deal with his opinion and call it a day.

Can't you read? He doesn't say rFactor is better in realism, he says they are not in the same league as lfs is only a game and Rfactor a simulator. Then he says the opposite. And now he's wondering why he's being flamed.
Quote from hyntty :Remind me again, which part of the "lfs is not a racing simulator but a silly unrealistic game" -statement is not deliberate provocation?

To be fair, the adjectives 'silly' and 'unrealistic' were not used. The statement was simply "LFS is a game... rFactor is a simulator"

Quote : LiveForSpeed is a game. Anyone can control slides etc. rFactor is a simulator.

In a later post he also said that LFS isn't bad (or even WORSE than rfactor for that matter), he just thinks that rfactor is MORE realistic.

Quote :Both are good and I'm not saying that lfs is worse than rFactor, it just isn't as realistic and flexible as rFactor

Two weeks ago I would have disagreed, saying that LFS is definately the better simulator, head and shoulders above rfactor. However, after downloading the BMW E90 mod with realfeel and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, I can definately understand why someone would believe rfactor to be the more realistic sim.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG