The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Fetso Yes, the mini-review seems to be from someone who has played rFactor in 2004 and never returned to it.

I do not have many mods installed, but some of the F1 series, GT history, Megane, Caterham, are big works, and many tracks are very well made from scratch.

Of course, the LFS also seems more natural both with respect to visual as with respect to driveability. But that does not mean rFactor is way bad.
It is complicated. Many people who are used to rFactor, can not accept LFS, and vice versa.

The discussion always tends to subjective conclusions, or a simple matter of personal taste.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Thing is Chris, I don't like the idea of having to download a mod to play online. That's why LFS is so good, no faffing about, it's truely a 1 click join, no hassle. No "mod not found" BS.

Personally I've never played rFactor, but I understand that this is one of the biggest gripes people have with it. Hopefully rFactor 2 will integrate the mods more seamlessly into its design. How hard can it be? Here's what I'm imaginin:

What if when you're looking at the server list there's a button next to each server saying "download necessary content". Click it, and the mods get installed (like, cars/tracks/whatever). So when you join a server it automatically selects the mods you need.

Other mods (like FFB tweaks, graphics mods etc) can of course be turned on or off permanently if you so choose.

Couldn't this work..?
Quote from Gnomie :Personally I've never played rFactor, but I understand that this is one of the biggest gripes people have with it. Hopefully rFactor 2 will integrate the mods more seamlessly into its design. How hard can it be? Here's what I'm imaginin:

What if when you're looking at the server list there's a button next to each server saying "download necessary content". Click it, and the mods get installed (like, cars/tracks/whatever). So when you join a server it automatically selects the mods you need.

Other mods (like FFB tweaks, graphics mods etc) can of course be turned on or off permanently if you so choose.

Couldn't this work..?

I believe it could integrated into the game in a way like that in CSS - It downloads it when you go to join. However, most mods are fairly large and it wouldn't work.
I think that would be great if there was a standardization group to approve the mods, and a tool for automatic update.

A tool for this is something ridiculously simple to make.

The standardization group would demands more work, but I'm sure there will be no lack of candidates for it.
Quote from Speed Soro :I think that would be great if there was a standardization group to approve the mods, and a tool for automatic update.

A tool for this is something ridiculously simple to make.

The standardization group would demands more work, but I'm sure there will be no lack of candidates for it.

But it shouldn't need a standardization or "approval", though. I imagine the following:

1) Somebody makes a mod and uploads it to the offical site
2) A host setting up a server decides to apply this mod to his server.
3) A player goes online, looking for a server to join. When he clicks "join" a little script will check whether he has the necessary mod installed. If not, it will automatically be downloaded and applied.

This wouldn't require any "governing body", it could be completely automated. If someone makes a crappy mod chances are not many people will apply it on their servers. It will all adjust itself over time.
Just another example of rFactor's "poop" graphics, as stated above...
Attached images
drmunedwkku.jpg
Please, stop it, both sides. We take great shots from any game, has both good and bad aspects.
Gnomie,
I think you do not get the exact point that I said about standardization.
The SCGM (Standardization Committee for Game Modification) is the group that will release or not a mod, track, plugin, whatever, under strict rules and standards, and soon after its approval the mod would be inserted in the system to dl.
If everybody could do what want, I do not think could be better than today, just because a single automation system dl.
A major problem that rFactor scenario faces today is the huge amount of bad mods and servers contemplating them.
The Committee would be the body that prevent the LFS get the same awful way.
LFS will never open up to mods, and even if it were to, I doubt it'd be either until the project dies or S3 has been finalised. This is not a "community project", rather the work and dedication of 3 guys.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :LFS will never open up to mods, and even if it were to, I doubt it'd be either until the project dies or S3 has been finalised. This is not a "community project", rather the work and dedication of 3 guys.

I agree.
I stick to Live For Speed, just tested rFactor and its not what I thought it would be. So I'm staying in LFS 4 Ever.
Speed Soro, you are fanatic with Head off Shoulders.

I just downloaded rF demo, compared to LFS demo it was like... uhm... some game from Windows 95 era.

I won't download 100Gb of mods just to make rF look as good as default 150mb install of LFS.
I am here in this forum recognized as someone who complains. Soro cries, Soro accuses.

People do not know how much I did for this game in my country.

I even sponsor a cup with money from my small business.

I am, or rather, I was one of the most enthusiastic player of LFS here.

I set up a new term that I called for "LFSensation" to describe the incredible immersion given by this game, your feeling, your drive.

I bought some struggles, from other forums in other communities as rFactor, GTR2, Nascar, when defending the only simulator that I really like to dive deep.

But time passes and things change, and I started opening my mind and enjoy other good works. because I like simulation, not necessarily of a particular simulator.

What I can say is that the LFS is really fantastic, but it is not the only one who provides.

It has a great feeling, but not the better set. iRacing has a great feeling, Netkar-Pro has a great feeling, and believe me, these two have a better performance on the track, much broader, much more predictable, much like a real car, starting with the simple fact that you do not drift so easily.

And rFactor, but below the LFS, also has many good features, and with the correct mod, and Real Feel Plugin installed, also a nice feeling.

I am not here to say that RF is better or worse than LFS. I just want to say I am happy to do not be a fanatic, so I can enjoy both.

LFS is great, but has only a few fictional tracks and a lot of cars that provide much immersion, but behaves a bit weird.

So I see no reason to elect only one simulator, with so many good options on the market.

If you can not enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v ... iBWqQ&feature=related

So I just can say that you have a problem, not me

Best regards,
That mod in video... it is over 1GB, right?
If yes - rF is crap.
Quote from Shadowww :That mod in video... it is over 1GB, right?
If yes - rF is crap.

Stop making useless comments . You're post means nothing since from what I understand, you just downloaded the demo and played for 5 minutes so you didn't even gave it a fair chance.
I won't go further, instead I'll just ask you one thing. Care to explain why it's crap?
Quote from BAMBO :Stop making useless comments . You're post means nothing since from what I understand, you just downloaded the demo and played for 5 minutes so you didn't even gave it a fair chance.
I won't go further, instead I'll just ask you one thing. Care to explain why it's crap?

Cause if default install of game (no mods) is crap then game is crap.
Quote from BAMBO :Stop making useless comments . You're post means nothing since from what I understand, you just downloaded the demo and played for 5 minutes so you didn't even gave it a fair chance.

You don't need to play a game for a long time to know if it's crap or not. How about you try Rig Of Rods.

Still need a week of gameplay to tell it's crap?
So, some people say rFactor is crap, some people love, some people love LFS, some people hate, and the world will keep spinning, will not?
Quote from Shadowww :Cause if default install of game (no mods) is crap then game is crap.

Well you pretty much completely ignored why the game is good. As cunning or as lazy you might think it is, the devs gave the community the tools to build rFactor how they like it. That's where the game shines, in the mods created by the community.
I think that rFactor looses quite a few buyers because of it's limited trial, from which you can't extract any conclusions about the game and most of the time feeling it let you down. IMO extending the trial to 24-48h would be a lot better since it would give you some time to truly decide if it's good or not, atleast that's how much it took me to like the game.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :You don't need to play a game for a long time to know if it's crap or not. How about you try Rig Of Rods.

Still need a week of gameplay to tell it's crap?

I completely agree but in the end it's like everything in life, relative. To say something is crap or good, you need to compare it to something else, right? I presume that in this case most compare rFactor to LFS but if you don't compare it to anything and just look at it as a standalone sim (imagine their is no other choice on the market), you'll see that it isn't that bad.

You get ,virtually, all the cars and all the tracks in the world...you even get a mod with boats! Sure some are not that good, so just stick to the high-rated ones and if you have some favourite mods and can't find a server online, search for a league and you might just find one. All of that for around a mear 20 quid. That doesn't sound horrid or crap to me.
But you've just hit the catch 22. You may indeed have all the cars and tracks in the world, but if only 15% of them are playable, you therefore only have 15% of the cars and the tracks in the game, if you see what I mean.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :But you've just hit the catch 22. You may indeed have all the cars and tracks in the world, but if only 15% of them are playable, you therefore only have 15% of the cars and the tracks in the game, if you see what I mean.

But that 15% will still beat 7 tracks and 20 cars
Quality over quantity thanks very much.
But with rFactor all the mods are made by different people and they dont spend years developing them like LFS devs have with LFS. So you cant compare the 2.
Quote from Fetzo :looks to me that the reviewer hasn't raced the right mods and tracks. i mostly race the historic gt and the bmw e21-mod and i have none of the physics issues. most of the hall of fame tracks have beautiful pavement textures and lots of tarmac types.

the megane mod being the only not crappy mod raced online sounds a little biased/ignorant.

i havent tried historic gt, i dont have gtl,. But i have tried the bmw mod and also the chev corvette mod by the guy from lfs community. they both seem to compensate for the rigid tyres by being very wollowy. I do also have the hall of fame tracks i.e. bathurst, nords, laguna and i agree they are some decent tracks, but still they lack the uniqueness of the lfs tracks imo. They still dont have that outstanding quality that Eric managed with the lfs tracks.

Quote from Juls :Concerning sounds, it seems at first glance LFS and rFactor have very different sound systems but in fact they are quite similar. They both use samples modulated with engine frequency to recreate the sound. But rFactor uses long samples (few seconds) while LFS uses very short samples repeated more often.
Instead of using one sample modulated over the entire frequency range like LFS, rFactor uses several samples, and each one modulated on a frequency range...like one for 1000-2000 RPM, another for 2000-4000 RPM...etc.
They both read samples at different frequencies. Not so different.

i believe thats what i said? only that the lfs samples are just 1 or 2 beeps (can remember listening to the sample but cant remember where).

Quote from Speed Soro :Fetso Yes, the mini-review seems to be from someone who has played rFactor in 2004 and never returned to it.

I do not have many mods installed, but some of the F1 series, GT history, Megane, Caterham, are big works, and many tracks are very well made from scratch.

Of course, the LFS also seems more natural both with respect to visual as with respect to driveability. But that does not mean rFactor is way bad.
It is complicated. Many people who are used to rFactor, can not accept LFS, and vice versa.

The discussion always tends to subjective conclusions, or a simple matter of personal taste.

I never said rF was bad, i infact said it was fun, just not as long lasting as lfs imo. Also i only had rF for about a yr now.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG