The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Problem is with these threads is that people tend to compare a modded rFactor game to a standard LFS game. Both have to be standard to really compare them.
Well the main reason why is rF so popular is the modding ability, so if you want to compare LFS and rF, rF has to be modded.

Sry, I couldn't help myself, I'm hardcore LFS fan and I don't like style of simbin's games...
Quote from Dillyracer :Problem is with these threads is that people tend to compare a modded rFactor game to a standard LFS game. Both have to be standard to really compare them.

Why's that? Modding is a feature rfactor utilizes while lfs does not! And since most mods are for free, the comparison is perfectly valid in my book.
Quote from migf1 :Why's that? Modding is a feature rfactor utilizes while lfs does not! And since most mods are for free, the comparison is perfectly valid in my book.

IMO it's not, because the mods are made by different people than the people who made rFactor ( well, they made some new content ). If you want to compare, I think you need to compare both original products, especially since LFS is still in its WIP fase.
From the buyer's (simmer's) pov what matters is what he gets for his money. Under this pov, rf's free mods are perfectly valid criteria for comparison
Quote from Juls :Do a test. Show LFS and rFactor to many many persons, and each time, ask them what sound is the most realistic. Then shout at them they are stupid because they do not understand LFS sound is more realistic than stupid tape records of real cars, because it uses shorter tape records of real cars, but played more often. And you will have no friends anymore (maybe you are right but you will have no friend anymore...that's destiny)

I would rather be right and have no friends than be totally wrong but be popular
Quote from deggis :I don't think that 0.02 seconds or something long "engine pulse" sample or whatever from which most of the engine noise is made of is a recording from any kind of car. I don't know how DaveWS created those, but if you extract the sound file through Shift+A editor and play it, you hear just a short "pop".

Might be that I misunderstood what you were saying.

I think the longest pulse sound i got was about 0.08 secs long. Doesn't make a huge difference really to the engine sound. It takes a lot of editing to stop the engine sound clipping so much too.

Quote from pb32000 :Tbh people seem to be giving a sample based sound system far too much flack. It's hardly 'on or off', and I have to say the sounds in the Historic mod for example offer far more immersion than the LFS system.

The Historic mods sounds are really cool yea but if you pic for example the Pantera.. go try the game now, turn the engine on. The starter sound is awesome right ? Now the starter sound stops .... wtf happened. The engine sounds totally different to the starter sound
Its an awesome mod, better than any other rF mod imo, and i dont blame the devs of this mod for the sound because it is like this in all other rF mods that I have tried
Quote from Dillyracer :Problem is with these threads is that people tend to compare a modded rFactor game to a standard LFS game. Both have to be standard to really compare them.

The problem is that people bash rFactor physics for the standard content, without even trying any of the "better mods" (e.g. Niels' Corvette and other ones made with CarFactory and supporting RealFeel).

If two part polls were possible, I'd like to make one:

1. Do you think rFactor sucks ass? Yes/no
2. Have you tried any of these mods (list: bla bla bla)? Yes/no

I predict very predictable poll results.
Rfactor is fun and has some cool mods, but it also has some major problems IMO

The physics just don't have the "feel" that LFS does, I can feel the car starting to lose grip in LFS, but not really in Rfactor. I'm not saying LFS has more realistic FFB, but when there is no "seat of your pants" feeling the accurate FFB of LFS really helps IMO

It's nearly impossible to find a server with people playing the particular mod you want to play. You can just play a wide variety of mods of course, but then you'll end up downloading 20GB of mods. This is the biggest problem with the game IMO. Maybe it's just because of the time of day I play though.

It has some major stability problems too, especially with certain mods. Some of them flat out crash my computer (and it's not my PC, i can play new games like Crysis, COD4, etc just fine).

I'm not slagging Rfactor or anything, I just prefer LFS. While it doesn't have as much content (in terms of tracks/cars), the content it does have is of great quality, and most importantly I can easily find and hop on to a server for some races.

That being said, some of the mods in Rfactor are very cool, being a single-seater fan I find the 1979 F1 mod to be really nice (all those old tracks and awesome sounding cars). Nordschleife is always nice too of course
People say the GFX are better in rF but I recently re-installed rF to take a look as my new lappy is capable enough to run the monster system hog.

I have to say I have yet to find a track in rF that looks anything as good as BL or SO. I have LFS GFX almost maxed and apart from the day/night lighting every track I have found for rF just looks cartoon and the corners and racing line are more just a connected set of straight lines instead of a curve.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a track that is even close to the quality of some of the LFS tracks GFX wise so I can download and try it.
Quote from Woz :People say the GFX are better in rF but I recently re-installed rF to take a look as my new lappy is capable enough to run the monster system hog.

I have to say I have yet to find a track in rF that looks anything as good as BL or SO. I have LFS GFX almost maxed and apart from the day/night lighting every track I have found for rF just looks cartoon and the corners and racing line are more just a connected set of straight lines instead of a curve.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a track that is even close to the quality of some of the LFS tracks GFX wise so I can download and try it.

The tracks by Virtua_LM are very good (Le Mans, Rouen Les Essarts and Mid-Ohio)... The new Nordschleife and Le Mas du Clos are also very good...
Rfactor isn't anywhere near a system hog?

At least I can run 70AI on lemans with no problem, there's quite a performance leap with the 1.25.5 patch and multi-core enabled.
Quote from migf1 :From the buyer's (simmer's) pov what matters is what he gets for his money. Under this pov, rf's free mods are perfectly valid criteria for comparison

yes it is...buyers needs to get what he wants or he gets from what he/she purchased!! but is it yes for validating rFactor on its free mods? maybe yes for rFactor gamers... and yes indeed for LFS gamers that we know and have to do tweaks for us to suite are performance play.

here's what?
LFS and rF's are the same Sim... so what ever suites, or shoots you

the answer for this is we both get game plays, but we are more expecting from what we get from it.... isnt it?
Sorry but I didn't understand the question
-
(Sueycide_FD) DELETED by Sueycide_FD
I'm giving my S2 away when Enduroracers release the ALMS mod for rfactor because it will be that epic. Im already about to leave S2 now that i brought the Akina track which makes for great touge with the VLN cars. Until LFS gets some LMP's, rfactor will stay ahead for me.
You are the first people that I heard of who paid for the Akina track.
there is already a thread (and poll) in "offtopic" isn't it? ;-) so this is no lfs discussion. all of that i agree with travbrads post some before here... nothing more to say. both "games" have it's right to exist. FOR SURE!
Quote from bbman :The tracks by Virtua_LM are very good (Le Mans, Rouen Les Essarts and Mid-Ohio)... The new Nordschleife and Le Mas du Clos are also very good...

Thanks I will give them a go.

Quote from JJ72 :Rfactor isn't anywhere near a system hog?

At least I can run 70AI on lemans with no problem, there's quite a performance leap with the 1.25.5 patch and multi-core enabled.

lol, you need serious hardward to get the GFX detail up anywhere near the quality of GFX that LFS gives, otherwise its just blur city and looks like a V old game tbh. System requirements are far far higher than LFS.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :I'm giving my S2 away when Enduroracers release the ALMS mod for rfactor because it will be that epic. Im already about to leave S2 now that i brought the Akina track which makes for great touge with the VLN cars. Until LFS gets some LMP's, rfactor will stay ahead for me.

Considering the mess they made with the Euskadi, I'm not really excited about it anymore...
Quote from Gills4life :
The Historic mods sounds are really cool yea but if you pic for example the Pantera.. go try the game now, turn the engine on. The starter sound is awesome right ? Now the starter sound stops .... wtf happened. The engine sounds totally different to the starter sound
Its an awesome mod, better than any other rF mod imo, and i dont blame the devs of this mod for the sound because it is like this in all other rF mods that I have tried

Yer I totally agree, god knows what's up with the starter sounds on all of those games/mods. They're all fairly bad, that said how many times do you start the engine in a race?
Quote from pb32000 :Yer I totally agree, god knows what's up with the starter sounds on all of those games/mods. They're all fairly bad, that said how many times do you start the engine in a race?

Depends how bad you are with the clutch .. and if you even use manual clutch which i would hope most of you are
The thing is though, in rFactor the cars startup from the garage at the start so you always have to hear it and everytime i hear it, it makes me cringe
If the makers of the mods actually thought about it sounding realistic rather than "cool", then i am sure they could make the starter fade into the engine idle sound.
Quote from bbman :Considering the mess they made with the Euskadi, I'm not really excited about it anymore...

im just happy im not the only one with the handling woes . still one of the best engine sounds in rfactor atm
Quote from pb32000 :Yer I totally agree, god knows what's up with the starter sounds on all of those games/mods. They're all fairly bad, that said how many times do you start the engine in a race?

try getting out the pits of the ring (tourist,2007) in the 911RSR (Historix mod) whose first gear reaches 110kph while trying to stick to the pitlane speed limit of 30kph.
Just a quick question.

Is it normal that my steering wheel kinda turns a little (the force) when getting to a corner? Like when im on the corner it kinda turns by itself a little. Is it to simulate the tilt of the track?

I'm having a bit of difficulty sticking to the racing line cuz of that :S
Quote from evilpimp :Just a quick question.

Is it normal that my steering wheel kinda turns a little (the force) when getting to a corner? Like when im on the corner it kinda turns by itself a little. Is it to simulate the tilt of the track?

I'm having a bit of difficulty sticking to the racing line cuz of that :S

My DFP used to do this but now with the G25 it doesn't for some reason. You are using a minus value for FFB if you have a Logitech wheel aren't you? With the mods that are not produced with realfeel in mind I find I have to put the ffb at a minus value..

Hope this helps

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG