The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from XCNuse :well you cant really compare LFS with anything since the fact that its not even a completed game so..

Quote from Scawen :Yes, you can compare S2 Alpha with anything you like

It's S2 Alpha, that's the name of what's available now, because it's not finished, and contains some blatant holes. But that's no reason not to compare it with something else.

You can just be happy that it will still be improved, as definite as can be if the devs don't die, etc...

Lol, blind-eyed fanboy epicly pwned.
Ok I started this thread a long time ago, good to see it is still alive, I started it on empty assumptions; game play etc. I have been out of online racing for some time now because my wheel broke, I have now saved money and bought a logi. G25 wheel, in the mean time I had bought a 22 inch monitor. Here it comes again LFS vs. Rfactor.
Account activation:
LFS: download / install / login – all ok
Rfactor: Download / install /Contact Image Space Incorporated / Try / Try / still cannot activate my copy , I am working on this…

G25 wheel control:
LFS: out of the box, change from FWD to F1 car , my wheel control is recognized and adjusted to the car.
Rfactor: still working on config / ok demo……

Graphics:
LFS: I have a res. of 1920 by 1200, no problem the game accommodates this, great graphics, basically one click in graphics set-up!!!
Rfactor: Max res, on 1280 by 768, the gameplay is sooo pixilated on my 22inch monitor. I may be able to get a better result but not without a few hours of mod downloading or twiking and such.

Basically LFS Developers did a sweet job, Scawen super user experience, I now understand why lfs is better than rfactor, impressive programming from the small lfs group. Thumbs up.
Quote from ruckus37 :
Rfactor: Max res, on 1280 by 768, the gameplay is sooo pixilated on my 22inch monitor. I may be able to get a better result but not without a few hours of mod downloading or twiking and such.

Eh? Just run the config again.. I've got no problems @ 1920x1200.
Sorry mate, but I think you are getting examples that are a problem for you, but not for all.

I have never had problem with DL, Install, Activation of rFactor. Never.

It was always simple as LFS.

I have had problems with my wheels in LFS, and have never had with rFactor.

In LFS suddenly I have no more Force Feedback, and the unique way I could retrieve it was coping an old control folder from another instalation to the new.

I have issues with scripts too. I agree that is easier just get in a car and the controls are ready for that car, but I don't see it as big advantage.

Sometimes I want to drive a formula with H-shift, and I can't, except if I go to the notepad and change the script.

It would be much better if I could save my control configurations (just 2 or 3 in fact), and chose the one I want when I want.

You think it is not good, I think it is. Do you see? It is a point of view.

I play with rFactor with my 22" lcd and have no problem> It is set to 1680 x 1050. What version is yours?

The unique 2 things I really prefer LFS instead rF are the Force Feedback and the amazing interface.

In fact, force feedback is something that, with the right mod and Real Feel Plugin, I have nothing to complain.
This was my experience, I did in no way incline that this was the general view of LFS or Rfactor, basically I experienced these problems, and no this is not a call for help, basically >LFS worked out of the box, I still need to do allot of work on Rfactor to get it to perform as a whish.
Quote from ruckus37 :I did in no way incline that this was the general view of LFS or Rfactor

Yes you did, just look at the your previous post. Frankly the entire "my sim is better than yours" is getting sad and old and outdated. Everything has been said in that debate and nothing new will come of it, which makes bumping this old thread a very useless and childish act.

Quote from ruckus37 :LFS worked out of the box, I still need to do allot of work on Rfactor to get it to perform as a whish.

Nothing works out of the box. You still have to assign controller axis and buttons and stuff. I had to do it in rFactor, I had to do it in LFS and I had to do it in GTR Evo, Race 07, STCC The Game and Turismo Carretera. I will have to do it in the next title that gets released as well, and I will not complain about it.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :But you've just hit the catch 22. You may indeed have all the cars and tracks in the world, but if only 15% of them are playable, you therefore only have 15% of the cars and the tracks in the game, if you see what I mean.

Finding and downloading only the good quality mods for rFactor is very easy. Just go to the Hall of Fame on rfactorcentral and they are all very good cars and tracks which offer racing just as good as any other sim I have tried to be honest. There is quite a lot of cars and tracks that are in the Hall of Fame because there are quite a lot of good mods in between all the crap. It's not as if you have to go through all of the mods on the site because any mod that is guaranteed to be good will be in the Hall of Fame.

Also; for anyone who plays rfactor and loves nascar, I recommend the VHR2009 mod. The car feels so alive it even makes going around in circles fun!
Quote from X-Ter :Yes you did, just look at the your previous post. Frankly the entire "my sim is better than yours" is getting sad and old and outdated. Everything has been said in that debate and nothing new will come of it, which makes bumping this old thread a very useless and childish act.

You are just right, and you could even say that it has always been like this, since the first discussion around sim1 x sim2.

I think rFactor and LFS are great simulators, each one with its own features, particularities and advantages, and fit with diverses preferences.

By my side I prefer do not take so serious and closed to just one.

LFS is great, rFactor is great, both teams deserves respect for their work, and I'll again support both when S3 and rF2 come out.
Quote from X-Ter :Yes you did, just look at the your previous post. Frankly the entire "my sim is better than yours" is getting sad and old and outdated. Everything has been said in that debate and nothing new will come of it, which makes bumping this old thread a very useless and childish act.

With respect, the thread wasn't bumped by ruckus. It got bumped about 5 pages ago after about 5 months of quiet. ruckus (the thread's OP) posted his personal observations and experiences after 3 and a half intervening years. It's not childish or useless, it's just opinion and as long as it's not abusive and is substantiated there shouldn't be any reason or desire to silence it.

I'm not particularly interested in the sim comparison game either, but that's me personally. It's obviously relevant to many and it's even important to some. We don't stifle discussions about different sims here. You'll find a very pro-iRacing thread in Off Topic, and no mods or devs are jumping up and down desperate to silence it. That's not a tune we dance to on this forum.

More than likely someone will recognise the issues ruckus is experiencing with rF and post a solution. Where's the harm?
That is a great look!
Quote from Gnomie : A little too much bloom for my liking, but the reflections were pretty well done.

Why oh why is there so much bloom? Why does bloom even exist? I've never seen one game that doesn't look 10x better with the bloom off.

I'm sure that track looks ok, but you just cant tell. Give me the far more natural look and colours of iRacing/LFS/nKpro any day over that crap.

F**K Bloom!
Just took the Caterham 320 round the 'Ring on GTR Evo, and yeah. The age old problem with the "have a small slide and then instantly crash" is the only problem.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Just took the Caterham 320 round the 'Ring on GTR Evo, and yeah. The age old problem with the "have a small slide and then instantly crash" is the only problem.

I can catch slides in that game you are ibiously doing it wrong..
I play ats 360 degrees since anything over it is pointles in that game.

As for rfactor there are some mods out there wher you can actyualy catch slides wich IMo are the good ones
I'll try it with less lock another time, I can drift all day on pretty much every sim apart from the Pacjeka or whatever you spell it physics engined games (GTR, rfactor, etc etc)

I was using 720 degrees of lock as I often can't be bothered to change it between that and 720 for LFS.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Just took the Caterham 320 round the 'Ring on GTR Evo, and yeah. The age old problem with the "have a small slide and then instantly crash" is the only problem.

Well rFactor is not really like GTR Evo. I don't really like Evo, good selection of cars and tracks but it feels horrid. If you download rFactor mods that are good, such as the one linked above by suey, then the small slide = instant crash, is not an issue at all.
Ive just started driving rFactor for the CTDP mod in which Ill be driving in the FSR championships this year.

Have to say, compared to LFS, Im very disappointed at the online pickup race situation. There is way too much diversity in terms of different versions of the same track, different versions of the same series (ive seen numerous F1 mods). I havnt yet managed to find an online pickup race for the supposed best mod (CTDP) which im massively disapointed with.

LFS is way better on the pickup online race front.
Quote from tenmantaylor :Ive just started driving rFactor for the CTDP mod in which Ill be driving in the FSR championships this year.

Have to say, compared to LFS, Im very disappointed at the online pickup race situation. There is way too much diversity in terms of different versions of the same track, different versions of the same series (ive seen numerous F1 mods). I havnt yet managed to find an online pickup race for the supposed best mod (CTDP) which im massively disapointed with.

Yes and dont try, because the chances is that it wil be chaotic. It's my little experience in open servers anyway.
I have had some quality racing online with the VHR2009 mod for those of you that like stockcar racing!
Quote from tenmantaylor :Ive just started driving rFactor for the CTDP mod in which Ill be driving in the FSR championships this year.

You can find servers with not much difficult if you go fo rfactorcentral, and dl some the cars and traks from hall of fame.

Try to install Real Feel Plugin to have better feedback from what is going on track. Caterham is one of the best mods and match perfectly with RFP.
It just takes time to get used to I think. I've been playing rFactor in the evenings a bit lately and can now catch and hold or correct a slide without fuss, although it's true it isn't as easy as in LFS.
Quote from Speed Soro :You can find servers with not much difficult if you go fo rfactorcentral, and dl some the cars and traks from hall of fame.

thats the thing, the hall of fame cars are rarely hosted. like i said in my mini review, it's only the megane trophy cup that is used and half decent.
Speaking of rFactor... on a whim I grabbed the CTDP F1 2005 mod today, seeing how it's right at the top of the Hall of Fame mod list.

I spent a good 30 minutes spinning out off throttle at 25mph. Totally unplayable. I'm not giving up that easily, but mods like the 'Vette work right out of the box. No ridiculous 10 degrees of slip and then you're in the wall business...

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG