The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from deggis :...rFactor you can have two wheels on grass but doesn't affect grip almost at all.

I think that it is not simulated, to get dirt on your tires in rFactor.. If you step on the grass, and back on the tarmac, the tires are the same like you didn't step on the grass... I don't know this for sure, i played rFactor demo just a litlle bit, but my friends who play rFactor say that getting your tires dirty is not implemented, so you can cut the track all you want.. Can someone confirm this?
Quote from Alan Dove :I think the main problem with LFS is it runs way to much on the actual mathmatics and lacks feel. One of these problems I have with it is that I react to visual things rather than actual what 'feel' I get from the wheel.

LFS is a sim code otaki's wet dream. But the base feel i get from it is lacking.

This is why i prefer rFactor. the game is based more upon the feel of a car. The feedback, and sound provides a more coherant, and realistic feel.

rFactor is by no means perfect but I think that a sim based on the actual feel of a car, rather than the pure mathmatical equations will come out top.

Live for Speed also needs to sort out the circuits. They just are not right, and the lack of good detail prohibits the use of reference points.

A lot of the circuits are too wide and long.

Once again its the lack of feel of what racing and driving is about that counts against lfs.

Everytime I play it I can imagine all the millions of equations pumping away but it kinda ruins it.

That's not to say LFS is bad. I actually play LFS a lot more on line than rFactor. LFS is an excellent bug free zone.

I bougth Lfs, because it was the first sim that felt "rigth" - Not arcade game a like.

You write pure rubbish
lol allan. putting a smilie face on the end doesnt make it any more friendly.

i agree that Rfactor doesnt feel or look as realistic as LFS. the car movement just looks strange and unnatural at times. and same goes for handling.

I feel like when it comes to driving technique and strategy, lfs is closer to reality than rFactor. longitudinal grip is a bit strange in lfs. full throttle starts shouldnt be the fastest way. so... bot h games have their flaws but overall LFS is more realistic and more fun imo. The strongpoint of rFactor is that it has real cars and real tracks... what happens when LFS has real tracks and more real cars as well?
Quote from Alan Dove :...

im sure just about everybody here will disagree with you especially on the bit about getting no feel through the wheel

you do have a point with the width of the tracks though
i bet he has his wheel set up wrong and never bothered to set it up correctly
Quote from Alan Dove :I think the main problem with LFS is it runs way to much on the actual mathmatics and lacks feel. One of these problems I have with it is that I react to visual things rather than actual what 'feel' I get from the wheel.

LFS is a sim code otaki's wet dream. But the base feel i get from it is lacking.

This is why i prefer rFactor. the game is based more upon the feel of a car. The feedback, and sound provides a more coherant, and realistic feel.

rFactor is by no means perfect but I think that a sim based on the actual feel of a car, rather than the pure mathmatical equations will come out top.

Live for Speed also needs to sort out the circuits. They just are not right, and the lack of good detail prohibits the use of reference points.

Once again its the lack of feel of what racing and driving is about that counts against lfs.

Everytime I play it I can imagine all the millions of equations pumping away but it kinda ruins it.

That's not to say LFS is bad. I actually play LFS a lot more on line than rFactor. LFS is an excellent bug free zone.

LOL.. are u serious???
Quote from Alan Dove :rFactor is by no means perfect but I think that a sim based on the actual feel of a car, rather than the pure mathmatical equations will come out top.

So you're basically saying rFactor sort of simulates the situation for a racing driver, whereas LFS simulates the actual car. Personally i don't need the situation simulated so i probably discard alot of that input, and without the proper maths, whats left of the simulation isn't good enough.
Quote from Alan Dove :...

I feel the other way round. In LFS I can be one with the car, every action from my side causes a comprehensible reaction by the car. If the car did something, I always know why it did. There is no bullshitting and no canned stuff, everything is true down to earth.

In rFactor, it looks and feels like someone tried to create an illusion of racing, botchering together the physics in a way so they seem right, more or less. As if someone has gathered a collection of if-then relations of action and reaction, and compiled them in one big mess refered to as the ISI engine. If something goes wrong in rFactor, instead of giving me a clear picture, all that happens is a big WTF appearing on my forehead (not literally). Why does understeer mean the FF goes limp? Why does breaking the traction on the rear end mean a spin? These all seem like manifested urban legends that somehow became accepted as fact just because it was repeated often enough. Just like the lateral grip curves with a huge dropoff, that were ghosting around for long enough now.

Well, how much can you, as Demo Racer, actually know about the circuits and cars? What you know is a whopping amount of 12 track/car combos. In S2 there are over 800. How can you judge from Blackwood, that South City is too smooth and too wide?
Quote from Alan Dove :It doesn't 'feel' right. Where are the vibrations through the wheel.

wheels dont vibrate with angular motion on real cars if yours does get it to the next garage and or junkyard asap

Quote :It's near impossible to tell if the rear end has broke.

if the rear end steps out the wheel in lfs countersteers all by it self like it would in a real car in rfactor (and all other isi sims for that matter) it plays some random effect which tells you nothing about whaps happening to your car ... and as if that werent bad enough the random vibrations you get mask that effect anyway

Quote :When you drive rFactor you feel as if you've jumped in a car, and are in control. With LFS it takes about 10 years to become accustom to how the cars behave. That just isn't realistic. The cars behave in a slightly dull and unpreditable manner.

when i first played lfs back in the demo test days first thing i thought was "wow that xfg feels just like my daily commuter" (in the end i got fed up with the not up to par tyre physics and forgot about the game until s2 came out)
when i first played rf i felt completely disconnected from the game and the car ... "hovercraft on an excel spreadsheet" (i dont remember who said that)

Quote :I think people think games like Live for Speed are super realistic because of their high difficultly level. But the high difficulty level is due to the fact you have to learn how to drive the car through your eyes rather than your the feel you get through the wheel.

to me rf is a lot more difficult than lfs mostly because the car doesnt do what its supposed to at all ... ever tried to countersteer in rf ? it just doesnt work and you wanna know why it doesnt ? because rf it a bunch of vastly inaccurate tables fed through an engine which just isnt state of the art anymore

Quote :I am sure if the feedback was vastly improved LFS would actually become more easy to drive.

lfs is easy to drive

Quote :rFactor, isn't perfect, and does some strange things also, but I feel they have there prioities correct. Feel first, maths later. With LFS I worry that it will become buried in its own mathmatics wonder that you'll end up with something that 'in theory' is a perfect simulation, but in reality just isn't right.

if the math is correct the feel will be right too and lfs is much further up there in terms of feel than any other sim money can buy

Quote from Alan Dove :It needs that wow factor, and if it implemented what I suggest then you would have a truly great game. But I fear the devs are digging themselves a hole. what's the point of having a mathmatically perfect simulation when the circuits, and sounds aren't realistic! There's no way to fully understand the potential of the engine!

as i said you do have a point about the tracks (personally i dont like any of the s2 tracks muchand almost hate as) fe and so are great though

concerning the rest of that post: you clearly dont understand the term simulation at all
#511 - Woz
Quote from Alan Dove :lol! I have spent hours setting up my wheel. I thought my wheel was bad until a downloaded rFactor, and wam bam, my wheel burst into life!

Again, rFactor isn't perfect, but at least the wheel vibrates rather than the occasional clunk, and reactional jerk you get with oversteer!

It sounds like SimBin will move away from the ISI engine after their current round of projects. I guess they have realised the limitations in that engine and want something more realistic. If the ISI engine was not showing its age and limitations they would have no reason to move away from it.

One major trouble with the ISI engine is the FF, which you feel is more realistic. You see IRL the following apply...

- You do NOT feel vibration through your wheel, it comes through your body and no fake left/right wobble of your wheel can simulate that feeling, it will only mask other information.
- When you are in understeer the wheel is NOT limp it is felt as a change in pressures only.

And this are just the major issues.

rF FF is just a set of effects that get played when the ISI engine thinks the car has entered X state. Most modern sims create FF from the forces on the front wheels. This includes sims like LFS, NK Pro, RBR and DR.

In the end when you simulate "feel" instead of reality there are problems.

This is why sim like LFS, NK Pro and RBR feel consistent at all times while the ISI engine does not. In ISI sims you are left feeling "what just happened" after an off while the others you think "That was stupid, I should never have ..."
Quote from Alan Dove :Again, rFactor isn't perfect, but at least the wheel vibrates rather than the occasional clunk, and reactional jerk you get with oversteer!

What jerk on oversteer do you mean? In LFS, if you oversteer, the wheel follows the motion of the front wheels, which is a almost perfect automatic counter steer. If you don't experience that, then you don't have your wheel set up correctly. Remember that you have to disable the auto-centering spring in your wheel driver properties, or else the feedback will be completely wrong.
Quote from Alan Dove :Lets get the circuits smaller, more detailed, and get some nice surface changes with bumps. what's the point of having a mathmatically perfect simulation when the circuits, and sounds aren't realistic!

You do realize that most of the bumps you feel in rFactor are probably effects, ie. they don't actually exist on the track surface and probably have no effect at all on the car?

No offense but you talk bulls**t and how do you know what the other tracks are like in lfs your a demo racer and i have played rfactor a bit, I have tired so much to try and like the sim but there is no feel in what the car does just turn off all the drivers aids and then see how you like it then and do the same with lfs then you can tell how diff lfs is to jokefactor.

http://www.lfsworld.net/get_spr.php?file=21457
http://www.sendspace.com/file/307ome

Download them two and just watch them and compare how they react to different stuation and the right time like understeer oversteer and easy they can tell how fast it happens
Quote from Alan Dove :I have the S2 licence. I was given the licence from someone else. This is my forum name from before I was given the licence.

Okay, sorry to be a PITA, but please post atleast once with the S2 account. Just to be sure and to clear any doubts
Quote from Woz :It sounds like SimBin will move away from the ISI engine after their current round of projects. I guess they have realised the limitations in that engine and want something more realistic. If the ISI engine was not showing its age and limitations they would have no reason to move away from it.

as long as simbin believes that slip angle curves drop off to about 60% past peak their sims will never be realistic isi engine or not
if you try axus tyre curves for the gtr2 demo youll see that the isi engine isnt anywhere near as bad as the people developing mods for it make it look
Quote from Shotglass :as long as simbin believes that slip angle curves drop off to about 60% past peak their sims will never be realistic isi engine or not
if you try axus tyre curves for the gtr2 demo youll see that the isi engine isnt anywhere near as bad as the people developing mods for it make it look

I have to agree to that. The GTR2 demo started to behave alot more like LFS as soon as I tried axus modified slip curves. The FF was still rubbish, but atleast the oversteer = spin was gone.
@Alan Dove

The sim of choise is choise by feeling. I bet most of the simmers choose their sim by the feeling and predictions they have and not by mathematical models or slip curve graphs. These come later

For me there are only 2 and half sims that give me the needed information to drive the car and these are LFS and GPL. (Nk was nice but I expect an update before I touch it again). I have never understood how people can drive ISI sims like GTR1&2, rF, GTL (no pun intended) because the feeling is so obscure, unreal and distant for me . When driving any of those I don't get the feeling of driving a car, a race car, I don't get any feeling what the car is going to do. And when I look at the replay to see what caused that snap spin, or why can't I correct slides after certain angles, it just looks so fake .

Therefore saying stuff like rF gives better feeling sound very off to me. Totally crazy if you don't mind

And it doesn't make me like ISI sims any more (or dislike any less) when the most I hear about them is that they are way off on some areas. LFS is on the mark on important stuff, the feeling is great. LFS and GPL, my choises. There is, however, nothing wrong if you happen to like something else.

LFS is not about the looks, it's about the what's between the ears

EDIT: GTR2 was little better but still the feeling was lacking imho
Quote from Alan Dove :I wish I could reply as S2 licenced! But the game password and forum password are different.

i only have game password hence my postings as a demo racer.

My username in the game is Intrepid but I go by Guru Karting1.co.uk, and u can catch me in Redline Racing in the FOX's at Blackwood most of the time.

The bumps may be 'an effect' but they feel real. In LFS you get NONE!

You should realy download the new Monza track from ISI. OMG! VERY VERY accurate.

I am not really comparing rFactor to LFS. I would rather concentrate on LFS. For sure LFS has an advanced physics engine or whatever. It doesn't mean jack if the game feels lifeless. The tracks are way to flat!

I play LFS quite a lot because the racing is good on-line. MILES better than anything else I've played!

I think before the devs do anything they MUST improve the circuits. Like SO Classic for example. A bus stop like that would NOT exist in real life. Its just crash city!

Leave the physics devs, and make some decent tracks! Then we have a game!

Ok every racer in lfs would love real tracks in lfs but i don't complain about it i love the tracks we have allready got but jokefactor has only got real tracks because they can afford to buy the licence make be granted to make real tracks and they are alot bigger company then the three man team who has made the best racing game ever compared to about 10/20 or more makeing jokefactor and there is the community that goes with lfs aswell does jokefactor having like the community lfs has i do not think so, this community is one of the best there is in the gameing world
Wait, so you cannot even log in to the main LFS site? Nor to LFS World? What a crappy deal you got, then.
Quote :Leave the physics devs

Actually, one dev is doing code/physics/features, another doing tracks and car models and the third is the web-guy, keeping the main site, forums and LFS World running. And this is not going to change, so they cannot "leave the physics" and "do tracks".
Quote from Alan Dove :

I am sure if the feedback was vastly improved LFS would actually become more easy to drive.

LFS already has FFB that is years ahead of roflFactor. If you are having trouble feeling when the rear is about to let go then your controller is not set up correctly. LFS does not emulate every bump that you might feel in your real car because not every bump is transfered through the steering wheel in real life. The steering forces and physical feedback generated are perfect... for drivers. Arcade racers may prefer the whole vibrating shaking wheel experience but drivers will prefer more realistic steering feedback over funky effects every time.

The tracks in LFS are not too wide, nor too narrow. Catering to a range of classes, LFS provides various tracks that are suitable for different types of cars. The BF1 is useless at FE Club but shines at an open flowing circuit like Westhill. The more recent tracks in LFS cater to the faster classes very well while our older club style circuits are perhaps better suited to the lower-powered vehicles.
In real life you will find that tracks that used to be suitable for F1 are no longer considered so. This is reality. Not every track will suit every car.
Quote from Alan Dove :The bumps may be 'an effect' but they feel real. In LFS you get NONE!

So if the LFS devs added a few lines of code to shake your wheel a bit even though there are no bumps, LFS would be a better simulator. It doesn't really make sense.

A similar improvement would be added brake fade based on amount of time you've been driving, no relation to brake use.
all of the bumps you feel through the steering wheel in rfactor are very entertaining to some but not very realistic. the car shakes and jumps around IRL but the wheel isnt affected by bumps that much

Alan, i dont understand how you can say that catching a slide is easier in rfactor than LFS.
Quote from Alan Dove :Leave the physics devs, and make some decent tracks! Then we have a game!

This phrase kinda sums up your point: looks over realism.
lfs needs to implement this rigid tyres of a couple of static polygons that dont interfere in the table numbers the game follows like a robot built by some low quality chinese cloning company.
lfs needs to implement this on-air-cornering(tm) that allows players to corner at jetfighter insane Gs while not touching the draconian(tm) polygon based track.
lfs needs to implement always clean(tm) technology in order to have great grip with 2 wheels on grass.
lfs needs to implement fake rumble effects driven by nothing except a txt file and independant of speed.
lfs needs to implement all the bugs and low quality
lfs needs to implement reflective marble texture base circular spining stands from the 80s with neons.
lfs needs to implement non-realtime, non screen-aspectratio free, slow loading menus.
lfs needs to implement the ability to allow mods from pimpled teenagers who just downloaded some trial 3d program that will allow them to turn shit into pure gold, by letting them brand a few polys with that awesome logo of ferrari or porsche.
lfs needs to stop this annoying thing of allowing ppl to change any garage parameter of the set and instantly feel the difference in the feedback driving of the car. Its so confusing! i have to set dif steer wheel parameters to cope with totally different cars! annoying to say the least!
lfs needs to implement random spasms and trembling FF driven by the awesome feeling of driving over low amount of polygons.
lfs needs to be less of a sim and more of a feeble skeleton where you have to make it look like as if what was underneath , was a sim. what a game that is.

rfactor is the chinese ipod-clone of racing.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG