The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote :But I always get the impression that the car is static and the track is dynamic. Like if one would steer the track around the car.

Maybe it depends on the rFactor mod.

Nordschleife in the Porche (PCC 1.2 mod)
rfrnrdpcc.wmv

Quite a bit faster in the CTDP 2005 F1 mod:
rfrnrd2005f1.wmv
Nope, the complete lack of body roll leads to exactly the effect George was describing...
Quote from JeffR :Maybe it depends on the rFactor mod.

Nordschleife in the Porche (PCC 1.2 mod)
rfrnrdpcc.wmv

Quite a bit faster in the CTDP 2005 F1 mod:
rfrnrd2005f1.wmv

What awful videos, with no redeeming features (okay, so the F1 sound was't bad).

Dead car behaviour (no body roll or sense of it being a car in any way)
Generic 'Understeer' sound
The blending of the sound samples conveniently covered by audio compression
Terrible track
Cartoony interiors (not saying LFS has good interiors, just saying that rF's are much worse in many many ways)
It looks like the driver was using a keyboard (judging by the steering wheel movement, but with FFB that bad it's not surprising he drives like a lemon)

All that video has done is reinforced every single negative aspect I feel about rF, and not done one thing to impress me.
hahaha rofl, such fanboyism does make me chuckle.

Anyone who says that rFactor or LFS is crap either:

1: Hasn't played them
2: Has a crap computer
3: Is extremely infected with Fanboy puss.
someone who see's amazing graphics as being the most important thing might see lfs as being mediocre or crap because they have higher standards in that area.
Others who are used to very good physics and realism in the area of force feedback, driving feel, and the way the car and all its parts interact with its surroundings may see rfactor as crap because they have higher standards in that area.

for me, there are many subtle details that add up to a great experience in lfs. these things that have already been mentioned many times before previously are missing from rfactor.

Overall, lfs fits my tastes more than rfactor.
I gave up on my long post about how i don't like Rfactor and at least modding can't kill it because it was already a shoddy game.

So heres a really cheesy comparison.

Rfactor is the 1.1 litre Nova with 12 inch hubcap spinners, a slow heap with a few bells and whistles to try and make it look good.

LFS is the Lotus Carlton...understated but goes like a cat with a lit firework up its arse.

Oh and Southampton FC suck
Played both, have an okay computer (Dual Core Athlon 64 4800, 2GB DDR800 Ram, X850thingy PCI-e), and tried for weeks to be subjective about it (by not playing LFS in that time at all).

Graphics do little for me, and I find all ISI games to be oversaturated, over clear, and a bit cartoony - it's not the fault of the mod-makers (which is what all ISI games are), or the people who make alternative texture packs, because they are all the same. And the graphics engine (probably some acronym for it) just doesn't do anything for me.

The best things about rF for me is the brake squeal and the day/night transistions (including trackside lighting where supported). The rest is utter poo to me. I'd rather spend 3 days making nK load once than play rF anymore. But I'll keep the licence in the off chance someone makes something realistic, but they haven't yet.
Quote :It looks like the driver was using a keyboard (judging by the steering wheel movement, but with FFB that bad it's not surprising he drives like a lemon).

I'm no racing sim expert, only a -12 GPL Rank, but I'm am faster than most lemons. No FFB, just twin joysticks, left for throttle / brake, right for steer; picture of setup .jpg. The Porsche is a bit loose, so that's why the wild steering movement. Take a look at the steering inputs used "Sideways" Stefan Roser in a real life Porsche 911 RUF aka "Yellow Bird":

nrdprsch1.wmv

If you want suspension / body roll in the view, a cheap budget racer, called Ford Racing 2 does a good job:

fr2stk.wmv
Quote from JeffR :

If you want suspension / body roll in the view, a cheap budget racer, called Ford Racing 2 does a good job:

So why doesn't RFactor if its meant to be such a good racing simulator? Ford Racing 2, a crappy arcade game can manage it just fine.
Wow.. these threads still continue, heh

Quote from tristancliffe :Graphics do little for me, and I find all ISI games to be oversaturated, over clear, and a bit cartoony - it's not the fault of the mod-makers (which is what all ISI games are), or the people who make alternative texture packs, because they are all the same. And the graphics engine (probably some acronym for it) just doesn't do anything for me.

Not everything has to look oversaturated (DX8 mode in pics attached)

VLM's LeMans track is another great example of subtle shading

IMO, there is no "best" or "worst".. it's too subjective. I don't like LFS's squashy spongy feeling tyres.. I also don't like ISI's "car lifts up on ballbearings" kind of feeling you sometimes get in corners. Different strokes for different blokes, but the killer for me in LFS is the sound.. it hurts... but I could find plenty to criticise in just about every application I've ever installed on i any system.. it's just how you accept them and work with / around them and which then ultimately gives you, personally, the best experience, regardless of the software

Regards,

Ian
Attached images
GRAB_000.jpg
GRAB_001.jpg
I'm surprised this thread is still going.

Still, I tend to get burnt out on LFS - more from shear over exposure than any inherent problems with the game.

For the last few months I've only been playing other racing games.
I've tried rFactor, GTR2, and netkarpro ( in anticipation of the fix for multiplayer) extensively. To a lesser degree I've played DR too.

Today, I did 5 laps in LFS in 4 different cars at westhill. I have to say, LFS
is simply superior, in my lame ass white boy opinion. I can say that as a long time LFS fan who's put extensive effort into the other current games. Of course, it's all opinion, none-the-less. But I've read a lot of people saying 'you just haven't tried it' or done this or that, so having the spare cash and time, I certainly did try this or that.

LFS has an enimic (sp?) engine sound, and lacks variety in tracks - these are pretty much given, I think, amongst fanboys and bashers alike. But these things don't add up to a hill of beans in the face of the overall package ( an alpha package, too boot).

Anyway, for the other games. Netkarpro is not awful, although I can only play as single player. It feels pretty good, but I can't see anything about it that I would say makes for better racing than LFS. Maybe more tracks, cars, and working multiplayer will be good, but frankly, for me it's LFS but not as good, so, I'll wait and see what comes of it. I open to having my opinion change, but it can only be changed by the game, itself.

GTR2 is fun. Simply fun. It's not in competition with LFS, although the ASS physics mod is an improvement, imo. You can't rule out fun in a video game. I think it will remain a diversion for when I'm burnt out on LFS. Or until LFS introduces some mid-engine sports cars. But I don't feel the need to keep going back to it day after day the way I do when I'm bitten by the LFS bug.

rFactor - Still don't get it. Tried all the mods, tried the ini files offered, tried everything. Great variety of tracks, cars, etc, but I've never found myself gritting my teeth trying to catch a few hundreths of a second as I do in LFS. I do grit my teeth alot wondering why the car is doing what it's doing.

DR - not very interested in the car that's offered, but anxious to see where they go with it.

As for online play, the others worked for me ( not netkar ), but the racing was never as good...I get the usual 'you should join a league' stuff, but I don't want to, or feel you need to to get a decent race. Of course, you can't rule out the amount of time I've already put into LFS, the people I've met, the situations I've learned to handle a hundred times with bad drivers. Still, the online community in LFS racing is generally much more pleasant and satisfying.

Add in how little time is wasted waiting for various elements to load, how easy it is to see results in minor tweaks of settings, how intuitive it is to mod your car skin, etc....how great and transparent the online interface is, and so on...and how immersive the game is as a result of focusing on the simple art of driving....welll...shinier graphics and user mods would probably be a nice addition to LFS, but alone they don't present any kind of threat to it.

I proclaim LFS as reigning universal champ.
I can't help it if my opinion is also fact.
It's just a pleasant coinkedink
For me it quite surprizing that some people just can't stand the LFS sounds while others can play LFS without really getting that "this sounds like ****"-feeling. Imho cars like XFR or LX4 sound totally bad, but when I'm racing them I just don't get put off by the sounds at all. Same thing the other way around with the Nascar 2003 and GTP mod. When I'm racing I just don't "listen" the engine sounds.

But when I'm looking at replays (or LFS related movies) the sounds really bite my ears.

[OT]I was so much hoping that Becky would add the sound editing options to her companion program, it would have been a killer piece of software. I would have even paid for it... Still, understand her decision but, me so sad...so sad [/OT]
I've made a decision not to use the samples mod. Some of the previews sound 'nice', and would (as Hyper just said) probably improve replays. But it's so rare I watch replays, and I have yet to see a single simulation that uses samples in a way that provides even the most basic feedback.

When I'm driving I don't listen to the sounds, they are just there, telling me EXACTLY what is happening at EXACTLY that moment (minus a tiny bit of lag). Samples impress people, but synthesised sounds let you drive.

We've all heard what a decent synthed sound engine can do. A cross between LFS's, nKP's (when it loads/works) and what Todd has managed with his. I see no reason to even consider using samples for engines. Stones, wind, creaks, crashes maybe, but I hope that LFS never stoops as low at ISI and uses samples.

Long live the mediocre and non-obligatory sampled engine sound mods - it keeps the whiners quiet. I'm happy for them, but I'll stick with LFS's great sounds for now. (I never have a problem with the sounds, not even the loud crashy one people always seem to burst into tears about. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I just don't crash so heavily).
Aren't the sampled sounds utilising the same tone information which is being sent to the synth sound generator? If so, how is it possible that you're getting less feedback by using sampled sounds?
Quote from Electrik Kar :Aren't the sampled sounds utilising the same tone information which is being sent to the synth sound generator? If so, how is it possible that you're getting less feedback by using sampled sounds?

Because the tone of the engine sound is not the only message it "contains". An engine will sound slightly different at 5000rpms with no load, maximum load and medium load. Also it will sound different when accelerating and decelerating because of this. Basically you would need a lot of sound samples to create a really convincing sound engine. And there is also a lot more work when you choose the sampled way

And, doesn't the sound Remxier (notice the correct spelling) get its information through outsim/insim/outguage?
I don't understand why you couldn't run a good sample through the same algorythyms LFS sound currently uses?
Quote from tristancliffe :I've made a decision not to use the samples mod. Some of the previews sound 'nice', and would (as Hyper just said) probably improve replays. But it's so rare I watch replays, and I have yet to see a single simulation that uses samples in a way that provides even the most basic feedback.

When I'm driving I don't listen to the sounds, they are just there, telling me EXACTLY what is happening at EXACTLY that moment (minus a tiny bit of lag). Samples impress people, but synthesised sounds let you drive.

We've all heard what a decent synthed sound engine can do. A cross between LFS's, nKP's (when it loads/works) and what Todd has managed with his. I see no reason to even consider using samples for engines. Stones, wind, creaks, crashes maybe, but I hope that LFS never stoops as low at ISI and uses samples.

Long live the mediocre and non-obligatory sampled engine sound mods - it keeps the whiners quiet. I'm happy for them, but I'll stick with LFS's great sounds for now. (I never have a problem with the sounds, not even the loud crashy one people always seem to burst into tears about. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I just don't crash so heavily).

Oh yeah, I agree with most of what your saying here, I drive better without using CSR, I just use it to have a bit of fun, because it does sound nice sometimes...
Once you get used to the LFS sounds, it's not really a problem. Because the sounds just sound just like an LFS car should sound. But one day.. they will sound different.
Quote from tristancliffe :

ummmm.. if you're not listening, then they aren't telling you anything.

"but synthesised sounds let you drive" I suppose Mario Kart is tops on your list too.
He was making a statement about his aesthetic indifference to the current sounds.. not judging them on their ability to suspend disbelief.. but simply by their capacity to serve as reliable indicators of an engine state.
#847 - Woz
I like the information LFS sounds give me, it means I dont have to look at the rev counter or look for the gear change light. You just don't get this in sims that use mixed samples.

TBH, I think the LFS sounds just need slight tweaks and then have gearbox and exhaust sounds mixed in. It would be great to hear the scream of straight cut gears in the mix.

It might be good to also add some random variations in pitch to the sounds so the final results are not quiet as uniform.
I've played both, and to put it simply, LFS has a better feel and more realistic feel.

[/argument]
Quote from tristancliffe :I've made a decision not to use the samples mod. [...]

I'd normally agree with you there, but incase of the LX4 the CSR has drastically improved my times and my consistency. It's probably because the LX4 is one of the worst sounding cars in LFS, and to me it got to the point where the sound was actually more distracting than helping. I was never driving the LX4 seriously before, so I never noticed, but while the other cars are relatively okay, the LX was a pain, especially in the high revs. The result was that pretty much any corner after a long straight was missed most of the time, because of the distraction.

Now with CSR I have the best of both worlds. A non-shitty sounding LX4 (+ I love that shift 'clunk'), mixed with the original information the LFS engine sounds generate. I wouldn't want to run the CSR without LFS beneath it - I tried that once and it sounded awful. But not to dismiss, in a way it has also helped me with mid corner stability. The engine now sounds relatively powerful even when giving half or 3/4 throttle, making me much more confident NOT to push the pedal all the time. The LFS engine (atleast on the LX4) sounded so weak at these situations that I didn't realise how much throttle I was already applying.

I guess that shows two things: I could never ever drive without the LFS sound core, and Christ would it be awsome if it didn't sound like angry bees.
Shouldn't this sound stuff be in it's own thread? For me, there are some sounds I like for replays, but not for extended periods because those sounds are too loud, harsh, or drown out the tire noises. In the case of GPL, I use a mellow generic engine sound for hot lapping and a louder, more realistic sound for replays or making videos. With the newer ISI games, I adjust the tire scrub and skid volumes in the .PLR file so I can hear them more clearly.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG