The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Long story short: if you like LFS for its physics, chances are you'll find rFactor/GTR/GTR2/GTL/RACE/etc (all ISI-based games) terribly unsatisfying.
Quote from Forbin :Long story short: if you like LFS for its physics, chances are you'll find rFactor/GTR/GTR2/GTL/RACE/etc (all ISI-based games) terribly unsatisfying.

Technically not true.

I like LFS for its physics. But I enjoy playing RACE and RACE07 alot more than I enjoy playing LFS. The real cars/tracks have something to do with it, plus it feels good to me too after FFB tweaking to my liking. And well, LFS is boring me at the moment.

one thing I won't say is that I think RACE07 is much better than LFS...
locklocklock
Search Damnit!
[Merged threads]
Quote from mr_x :Technically not true.

I like LFS for its physics. But I enjoy playing RACE and RACE07 alot more than I enjoy playing LFS. The real cars/tracks have something to do with it, plus it feels good to me too after FFB tweaking to my liking. And well, LFS is boring me at the moment

Dont take this wrong way Chris (And other members of dSRC) This game (LFS) like many other things is what you make it. Like you say you made Race07 feel the way you like it.

Belief and hope, trust all are ingrediants to an illusion (or a percieved reality) if you dont believe you wont trust and if hope fails ..... well..
A wise man once told me "hope is the thing that dies last."
LFS doesn't have nearly enough tracks, and it needs a BUNCH OF REAL LIFE TRACKS- LIKE 50 of them at least. The car classes are mismatched. It needs balancing in that area bigtime and needs many more real cars.. Those are the main problems. The GFX and sounds are WAY outdated.. like by 5 years. In computer years that's like 90 years at least.

ok, it has a lot of good points like the physics feel and all that, but damn, it needs a lot more content to stay fresh, and updated GFX and 5.1 updated sound. More adjustable force feedback is needed.. That's what LFS REALLY needs to stir up a whole new revolution in the race sim world, especially the content.. you all know that is true.

Forget rF, the AI got hosed with the last meaningful patch, now multi is the only value, and the single player experience is what tides you over in between on-line simming.
I don't want real tracks.
I don't want graphics that are comparible with ISI - it'd look shit (as rFactor proves)
I do want nicer sounds (but not urgently, as I don't play the F1), but NOT sampled.
I don't want force feedback like ISI games - LFSs is the best so far, and any rFactor comparisons can only make it worse...
I like rFactor because of the realistic damage.

In LFS i went full speed head first into the wall and it didn't really phase my car at all.

I really dont know about you, but being a motorsport fan THAT'S BOTHERS ME. RFactor also have engine failures, which is another great plus for me. Abuse the engine, u get a failure

The physics in LFS are ok....I mean seriously IMHO it's a bit too magnetic. I hate being rappelled all the way across the track just because i casually traded paint with someone. I'm so glad stock cars are not a part of LFS or else it'll be mayhem
Quote from lizardfolk :The physics in LFS are ok....I mean seriously IMHO it's a bit too magnetic. I hate being rappelled all the way across the track just because i casually traded paint with someone.

This isn't exactly a physics issue... it's more of a mp code thing.
Quote from BWX232 :and updated GFX and 5.1 updated sound.

The only things you said that I agree with at all, especially the 5.1 sound. There's no reason not to have this implemented. I should be able to hear the proper tire locking up and get positional info from a 5.1 setup.

GFX wise, I don't care about a massive overhaul, but more of what is not there would add to immersion (sparks when bottoming out etc), and windscreen, blurred tires when they're in motion etc. Basic things that every other sim on the planet has. Small things that just make it more beleiveable that's all.
Quote from mr_x :
I like LFS for its physics. But I enjoy playing RACE and RACE07 alot more than I enjoy playing LFS. The real cars/tracks have something to do with it, plus it feels good to me too after FFB tweaking to my liking. And well, LFS is boring me at the moment.

one thing I won't say is that I think RACE07 is much better than LFS...

What is wrong with you, man? I made a terrible mistake and tried Race 07 and it was truly awful. The game is way too big and slow, it takes ages to load. Not to mention the game-experience itself: I was eager to try the Formula Masters open-wheeler but it turned out to be rubbish. And the actual wtcc cars were.... well rubbish.

There was one good thing though, the wtcc cars felt quite nice to drive. But a mere touch doesn't make the game good.

And while we're on the subject, rFactor is rubbish. It feels like rubbish, it looks like rubbish and it almost sounds rubbish. It tries to be a sim, but it just isn't. And that's it. End of story. Don't ever mention these games again.
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't want real tracks.
I don't want graphics that are comparible with ISI - it'd look shit (as rFactor proves)

Who said anything about ISI? It doesn't have to be like ISI- but it needs to be updated from what it is- to at least DX9/ PS 2.0- 3.0. Damn, DX10 is already here.

The sound too.. damn.. my hurting ears.

Quote from tristancliffe :I don't want real tracks.

Why the heck not? - just because LFS has none? That's actually the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard any race sim player say about any race sim- or at least it is in the top 5.

"I don't want real tracks"... that makes no sense..

Quote from tristancliffe : I don't want force feedback like ISI games - LFSs is the best so far, and any rFactor comparisons can only make it worse...

Again, ISI has nothing to do with it. LFS needs more adjustable FF.. it doesn't mean it has to be an ISI clone or something. LFS has some weird un-fixed issued with the FF the way it is. Try locking up up one of the front tires in a turn, the FF reacts completely wrong. The FF seems very old fashion in general too. Although the "reel feel" plug-in for rF actually feels better than anything I have seen in LFS with the G25.

Maybe that is why LFS is stuck so bad in certain areas... people who play it don't want it to advance?
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :The only things you said that I agree with at all

Another person who doesn't want any real tracks? Am I in an alternate universe where race sim players don't want real cars and tracks? and as many as possible?
Quote from BWX232 :Another person who doesn't want any real tracks? Am I in an alternate universe where race sim players don't want real cars and tracks? and as many as possible?

You can add me to the list.
Quote from zeugnimod :You can add me to the list.

Which list? The people who do NOT want real cars and tracks? if so I suppose the LFS fan base is so backward there is no hope for real content. Oh well.
I would take it if it came, (especially real cars), but it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they're not there. Racing / driving can happen on any track and in any car, and that's what matters to me. There's only a hand full of real life tracks that I'd be itching for anyway, lots of real life tracks are boring and uninspired, but people like them just because they have "history". Harley's have history too, but they are still overpriced pieces of rattling crap that run stupidly. They finally had to find someone that actually could design an engine to make a reasonably decent attempt at a bike! People still like them though, because the general pubilc is mostly silly lemmingsheep. It's that same mentality that can't recognize when the fundamentally most important things in a sim are the best on the market, because it's lacking in aesthetic areas. It's those fundamentals that make the driving experience authentic, not the bells and whistles. I'm all for bells and whistles, but only if the fundamentals are in place, or mostly in place. And that's why I'm stuck waiting millennia for LFS to "pimp up" because it's the only thing worth actually driving right now. iRacing/ Racing Legends may change that one day.
Quote from BWX232 :Which list? The people who do NOT want real cars and tracks? if so I suppose the LFS fan base is so backward there is no hope for real content. Oh well.

Yes, that list.

Read the first part of the post above this one for a better-written answer.
Well I guess real cars I could do without, but real tracks are needed more than anything..
Why?
Quote from BWX232 :Who said anything about ISI? It doesn't have to be like ISI- but it needs to be updated from what it is- to at least DX9/ PS 2.0- 3.0. Damn, DX10 is already here.

The sound too.. damn.. my hurting ears.

So? What has DX10 got to do with it? DX8 is more than enough for decent graphics for a race sim.
Quote from BWX232 :Why the heck not? - just because LFS has none? That's actually the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard any race sim player say about any race sim- or at least it is in the top 5.

"I don't want real tracks"... that makes no sense..

You didn't hear that, because I didn't say it. Don't read what isn't there. We have recently covered the topic in other threads.
Quote from BWX232 :Again, ISI has nothing to do with it. LFS needs more adjustable FF.. it doesn't mean it has to be an ISI clone or something. LFS has some weird un-fixed issued with the FF the way it is. Try locking up up one of the front tires in a turn, the FF reacts completely wrong. The FF seems very old fashion in general too. Although the "reel feel" plug-in for rF actually feels better than anything I have seen in LFS with the G25.

Really? In what way does LFS lockup feedback feel wrong? I was locking brakes quite happily into Russells at Snetterton on Saturday and Sunday (got a 3rd and a 2nd place - woot!), and it felt just like LFS. RealFeel is an improvment, but it's not quite at LFS's level. nKP has a few good bits that LFS could learn from, but even that isn't as realistic as LFS (in my experience).
Quote from BWX232 :Maybe that is why LFS is stuck so bad in certain areas... people who play it don't want it to advance?

Or that the people who play it know which areas don't need much advancement having seen every other lame attempt in each area in other 'sims'.
Real tracks are way overated. The virtual track can never match exactly with the real track, at least not with current hardware, and the amount of data needed and the time involved means re-creating a real track even as accurately as we can with current hardware, is too time consuming and just won't happen. Thes virtual tracks will always be "wrong" and approximations, while I would still like them myself, you can't admit that fictional tracks are at least "right" and allow far more creativity on the part of the modeller. This has to be fun for Eric, afterall.
Fictional (good ) tracks >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> real tracks tbh.
just ignore the guy he comes back here every few months to ramble about how bad his dirty little secret looks and leaves again quickly to make sure his gtr and rfactor friends dont find out about his affair
Quote from tristancliffe : I was locking brakes quite happily into Russells at Snetterton on Saturday and Sunday (got a 3rd and a 2nd place - woot!), and it felt just like LFS. RealFeel is an improvment, but it's not quite at LFS's level. nKP has a few good bits that LFS could learn from, but even that isn't as realistic as LFS (in my experience).

havent raced but being someone who tends to brake deep / trail brake into corners(view line and traffic permitting) when i'm enjoying myself i'd agree that that feeling you get through the steering at ascot club's last bend when the right front locks is just like it does in real life when you lock an inside wheel going into my favourite roundabout (medium radius, down hill approach, clear views of the other two approaches, 200m of the one to my right which i have to give way to) real feel just doesnt do it, sure you know whats happening but its not the same message as i get in real life, i havent run nKP for a while but i remember it as being somewhere between the two

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG