The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from bbman :Show me, as I've never seen any, in any rFactor-movie I've seen... And no, those camera shaking effects which should simulate a bump don't count...

Many mods do have weird suspension/physics so that it really moves very little or then there is no clearly visible bodyroll. But there really is, but it seem to be stepped, so that there is 16 or 32 or something like that, positions where it can be, when looking other cars online.

LFS does this however differently, cars look to be more alive.
Where should I supposed to see suspension movement? There wasn't any, again... It was camera-shaking to simulate bumps and cars driving over bumps and move-camera-with-steering (isn't it called "look-to-apex" in rFactor as well?), but NO (visible) suspension movement... Take a look at the end, it shows that fact very well... It really is over my mind how I would supposed to set up my car, drive my car or even react to other people's driving without that crucial information... It's something where rFactor lacks big time in immersion and information, something it would make it unplayable for me if it weren't anyway for other reasons...

JTbo: Again, show me and prove me wrong... Until then my case rests...
Quote from bbman :Where should I supposed to see suspension movement? There wasn't any, again... It was camera-shaking to simulate bumps and cars driving over bumps and move-camera-with-steering (isn't it called "look-to-apex" in rFactor as well?), but NO (visible) suspension movement... Take a look at the end, it shows that fact very well... It really is over my mind how I would supposed to set up my car, drive my car or even react to other people's driving without that crucial information... It's something where rFactor lacks big time in immersion and information, something it would make it unplayable for me if it weren't anyway for other reasons...

if you look very closely you can see the wheels moving up and down about a cm under load in always exactly the same steps
Quote from Tweaker :Watch this one --- http://youtube.com/watch?v=K1xFXirTyHg

Well i watched it.. and as always, only the wheels are moving.
Besides the suspension not moving, the second thing about rFactors MP that is funny also is how the cars seems to move unrealistically fast in the moments. It's like someone pressed Fast forward button(and no i don't mean on the actual part in the video when there really is fast forward).
It would be great proofe if someone makes some slow mo rFactor vid, so the guys saying that there is suspension movement see for them selves.
Quote from bbman :

I don't know what kind of proof you are looking for but this is something where you can see how there is suspension movement, camera is outside looking towards car, I made it big so you can see without loss in image quality.

http://www.janiervast.com/rfac ... s/suspension_movement.avi

That is still work in progress so there is lot of bugs and funny things, but try to ignore them.

I can of course make video from different angle if needed? I have managed to mess sound exporting somehow so my rFactor wont export sounds, fault is user in this case as usual
Hmmm, like I've said earlier, I think rFactor allows the morphing of cars slightly for the sake of lag. Look at the start of this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e6zbgQ0Npx8

And Boris, he is a better video showing some suspension in action --- http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRBsfnIPG_g (can see at 50 sec mark or so). But this looks like it is singleplayer, so I can't say this is what it looks like for clients/opponents online This shows quite a bit of jumping cars, and there IS something that rFactor and any ISI game has had problems with. This is when the car is jumping, the rear will drag and seemingly stay put, and when the car lands it is still uber stable. This is one thing I've never liked about ISI games, because the jumping always seemed to look really weird on landings for low slung race cars. Was the same in GTR when you would cut the Spa Eau Rouge corner... amongst other situations.... Landings have always looked too easy.
This has few slomo (or more like half-slomo) clips, though I don't know are these from mp or sp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd5ywJtuUG0

Someone should really do a real slomo clip from rFactor. Slomo video is like a calling card for any sim.

ps. Just have to mention this, nKp is still crap but it has something very cool that you can see in slow motion, flexible wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRC9DfqMR50
Quote from deggis :ps. Just have to mention this, nKp is still crap but it has something very cool that you can see in slow motion, flexible wings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRC9DfqMR50

}
What flexing wings? I don't see any flexing

And @ Hyperactive:

LOL, some of that contact with other cars in rFactor just looks really bad
Quote from Hyperactive :I guess rF is a bit more realistic than GT4

well lets see ... in gt4 you can actually drift the cars so the tyre curves should be a good 30% less off or rather a healthy 50% closer to the real thing than in rf

Quote from Tweaker :What flexing wings? I don't see any flexing

me neither
Quote from Shotglass :well lets see ... in gt4 you can actually drift the cars so the tyre curves should be a good 30% less off or rather a healthy 50% closer to the real thing than in rf

But you can drift in rFactor just fine, IF tires are made properly (indeed only with few mods they are), sure not as easy as on LFS, but I think that drifting in LFS is bit too easy.
Quote from Tweaker :
And Boris, he is a better video showing some suspension in action --- http://youtube.com/watch?v=RRBsfnIPG_g

There is some suspension movement in that yellow car, but that's single player. In the MP scenes there isn't.
Let's put aside the suspension movement for a moment... notice how cars behave in MP, it's like someone is playing with FF/REV buttons..
Example, you are going 100 mph in LFS side by side with someone.. you are going simultaneously, you can tell what that car is going to do, you can wait till the last moment to brake, to overtake, etc... but in RF cars are going just as i said... normal speed normal speed than BAM, a litlle bit of FF, a litlle bit of REV, just crazy. Cars are unpredictable. I couldn't dare to go bumper to bumper while i was playing Lupo mod online... i really couldn't predict how the cars are gonna behave..
Quote from Boris Lozac :There is some suspension movement in that yellow car, but that's single player. In the MP scenes there isn't.
Let's put aside the suspension movement for a moment... notice how cars behave in MP, it's like someone is playing with FF/REV buttons..
Example, you are going 100 mph in LFS side by side with someone.. you are going simultaneously, you can tell what that car is going to do, you can wait till the last moment to brake, to overtake, etc... but in RF cars are going just as i said... normal speed normal speed than BAM, a litlle bit of FF, a litlle bit of REV, just crazy. Cars are unpredictable. I couldn't dare to go bumper to bumper while i was playing Lupo mod online... i really couldn't predict how the cars are gonna behave..

It is like that if there is lag, but when there is no lag cars are not doing that.
In LFS cars start to jump around every direction wildly when there is lag, just yesterday had this with LFS.

I have raced bumper to bumper in both games, when connection is good that is possible in both, but when connection is bad, then there is no possibility for good close racing in either one.
Quote from Tweaker :}
What flexing wings? I don't see any flexing

You're blind? Look at the rear wing. Maybe it doesn't exactly flex but at least it shakes.
It isn't shaking at all. That is the lighting on the end plates that is flickering. This has been seen throughout nkPro for a long time.... Unless you're blind?

back to topic
Quote from deggis :You're blind? Look at the rear wing. Maybe it doesn't exactly flex but at least it shakes.

To me it just looks as the rear wing shakes with the car body. This is easy to check though. Start nk pro, drive the other aero car and investigate...

*starts nkpro

EDIT: defenately NO flexing anywhere, at least nothing that can be seen in replays
Quote from JTbo :But you can drift in rFactor just fine, IF tires are made properly (indeed only with few mods they are)

true but first of all like you said none of those mods uses proper curves (especially the official isi cars dont have curves which are remotely realistic) and secondly even if you have a mod with driftable tyres youll still be held back by the useless ffb
Quote from deggis :Maybe you just don't want to see it? (for the record: I still don't like nKp, I spit on it)

http://files.filefront.com/nkp ... /;4992443;;/fileinfo.html

That video has few segments that shows it little better, the rear wing clearly shakes.

I'm telling you, that is the lighting flickering on the side panels, and the entire chassis moves with the wing connected. The rear end on the cars in nkPro always shake a lot more if you look carefully. Hyper sees this, as do I. It is definitely not shaking. Get a fixed camera on the back of the car and see if it shakes.

I should've never set foot back in this thread....
Quote from Shotglass :true but first of all like you said none of those mods uses proper curves (especially the official isi cars dont have curves which are remotely realistic) and secondly even if you have a mod with driftable tyres youll still be held back by the useless ffb

ffb is not useless, but not too good, this seem to be depending quite lot about mod too.

When any game offers possibility to driving like this, with such speed, then we start to be close to good physics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X_Ph-0l-yw

Not any game comes even close to that currently.
wow thats a really awsome vid

Driver's republic has very nice and responsive force feedback. matched up with a g25, it probably feels amazing. it feels really good with a dfp even in this early alpha.
Quote from Gabkicks :wow thats a really awsome vid

Driver's republic has very nice and responsive force feedback. matched up with a g25, it probably feels amazing. it feels really good with a dfp even in this early alpha.

Ah, then I better test Driver's republic, actually I'm in beta testing, but forgot that as I had trouble with computer and could not run it, now this rig should handle it just fine

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG