The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from titanLS :Speaking of rFactor... on a whim I grabbed the CTDP F1 2005 mod today, seeing how it's right at the top of the Hall of Fame mod list.

I spent a good 30 minutes spinning out off throttle at 25mph. Totally unplayable. I'm not giving up that easily, but mods like the 'Vette work right out of the box. No ridiculous 10 degrees of slip and then you're in the wall business...

Try dropping the tyre pressures by 10% or more. The default setups are pretty horrible to drive and any hint of a slide has the back end round before you know it. With the lower pressures it's a lot more fun.
Quote from BenjiMC :thats the thing, the hall of fame cars are rarely hosted. like i said in my mini review, it's only the megane trophy cup that is used and half decent.

well, my fav mods are VLN2005 and Historic GTs. Also i like to race on the Bockbierbude-Servers which support lot's of mods and are very crowded in the evening.

i never race the megane mod, because i don't like it and have no problem finding a decent race.

i agree, that it is a lot easier to find a server in lfs. for someone who likes short pickup races i suggest trying the bockbier servers. they have an automatic-download application that updates your rfactor automatically to their servers (cars and tracks). the races are about 10-15 Minutes with a short qualification and mixed class racing.

i can understand that many lfs users have problems catching a slide even in decent rfactor mods. i think it is too easy to do that in a slick tyred car in lfs. if it is that easy in reallife, then there are a lot of terrible drivers out there on the tracks.
Quote from pb32000 :It just takes time to get used to I think. I've been playing rFactor in the evenings a bit lately and can now catch and hold or correct a slide without fuss, although it's true it isn't as easy as in LFS.

LFS is not easy. You need to get used too and takes some days.

Get people that has never played with simulators before, like I did many times, put them seated on your cockpit and let them play with GTR, LFS, rFactor...

But be gentle... don't give them XRG in the begin.
Quote from titanLS :Speaking of rFactor... on a whim I grabbed the CTDP F1 2005 mod today, seeing how it's right at the top of the Hall of Fame mod list.

I spent a good 30 minutes spinning out off throttle at 25mph. Totally unplayable. I'm not giving up that easily, but mods like the 'Vette work right out of the box. No ridiculous 10 degrees of slip and then you're in the wall business...

Like said above, need to get used. LFS is not easy too, and I really can't imagine a car like XRG in the real life, or I can't believe RAC behaves like that IRL too. But once you get used to them, they started to feel real, in some way.
Quote from Speed Soro :Like said above, need to get used. LFS is not easy too, and I really can't imagine a car like XRG in the real life, or I can't believe RAC behaves like that IRL too. But once you get used to them, they started to feel real, in some way.

You do have to get used to LFS and rFactor but I think that's because of their flaws rather than realism. Very odd things happen in both of them that you simply have to learn to drive around, particularly in LFS (and especially with the RAC! ).

nkPro and iRacing don't really have this - once configued they seem about right pretty much straight away. There are far fewer surprises in them. My first few laps in LFS after a long break always consist of comical oversteering and counter-steering, which seems totally at odds with reality.
Quote from durbster :You do have to get used to LFS and rFactor but I think that's because of their flaws rather than realism. Very odd things happen in both of them that you simply have to learn to drive around, particularly in LFS (and especially with the RAC! ).

nkPro and iRacing don't really have this - once configued they seem about right pretty much straight away. There are far fewer surprises in them. My first few laps in LFS after a long break always consist of comical oversteering and counter-steering, which seems totally at odds with reality.

Yes, you are right.
There are flaws in them both, but with adequated setup the things go better.
RAC can't be like that IRL. If so, its producers are killers, not engineers

But once you get used to it again, its driving is very pleasant
Quote from durbster :Try dropping the tyre pressures by 10% or more. The default setups are pretty horrible to drive and any hint of a slide has the back end round before you know it. With the lower pressures it's a lot more fun.

Thanks. I spent some more time messing about with the setups, and it definitely helped. However, no matter what I do it seems this mod still can't overcome the ridiculous nature of the ISI engine. I'm all for tinkering with setups so the car better suits my style and ability, but having to spend hours with a setup to make the car even remotely drivable just isn't for me.

I just can't comprehend a Formula 1 car loosing traction so easily, especially with no throttle input at such low speeds. I'm spinning at Monaco doing 30mph, totally off the throttle... Warm tires, high rear wing, low pressures, more camber, less spring, negative toe, etc... Nothing solves the fact that the rear feels like it comes off the ground if you so much as breathe too hard on the wheel...
Quote from titanLS :...I just can't comprehend a Formula 1 car loosing traction so easily, especially with no throttle input at such low speeds. ...

Sorry mate, but this happens with LFS F1 too, and look this, we are talking about a high power car.

What do you say about loosing traction with a XRG?

I true believe that this difficult that you are facing with rFactor is just a matter of training.

Maybe you have been on LFS for many time, but have you tried F1 in LFS without traction control?

Man, we are talking about F1. Why that should be easy?

Physics, FOV and Forcefeedback are different between rF and LFS, so, slow down, take easy
Quote from titanLS :I just can't comprehend a Formula 1 car loosing traction so easily, especially with no throttle input at such low speeds. I'm spinning at Monaco doing 30mph, totally off the throttle... Warm tires, high rear wing, low pressures, more camber, less spring, negative toe, etc..

Happens to prototypes too. i just adjusted my speed on entering and my steering angle and problem solved. Sorry but it's just you
Quote from Speed Soro :Sorry mate, but this happens with LFS F1 too, and look this, we are talking about a high power car.

What do you say about loosing traction with a XRG?

I true believe that this difficult that you are facing with rFactor is just a matter of training.

Maybe you have been on LFS for many time, but have you tried F1 in LFS without traction control?

Man, we are talking about F1. Why that should be easy?

Physics, FOV and Forcefeedback are different between rF and LFS, so, slow down, take easy

That's the thing, it doesn't happen in LFS, for me, at all. Sure, turn TC off and gas it a little and the rear comes around quite easily, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about totally off throttle at ridiculously slow speeds. The ISI engine has some major flaws, and this mod just doesn't do as well adjusting to those flaws as others do, like Niels' Vette.

I really can't go any slower, I'm not even pushing hard when it happens. Coasting into corner entry, smooth input on the wheel, the rear just swings around like it's not even touching the ground. The BF1 has never done that for me, nor has any car in LFS or iRacing for that matter. In both you can crank the wheel pretty violently without losing the rear so long as your entry speed and angle aren't too extreme.

As far as the XRG, it feels fine compared to most of the rFactor mods, which all share the same problem: they were built for rFactor.
Quote from Sueycide_FD :Happens to prototypes too. i just adjusted my speed on entering and my steering angle and problem solved. Sorry but it's just you

Yes, it does happen with the ISDM prototypes, but not nearly as bad.
Quote from titanLS :That's the thing, it doesn't happen in LFS, for me, at all. Sure, turn TC off and gas it a little and the rear comes around quite easily, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about totally off throttle at ridiculously slow speeds. ...

So, when I stay away from LFS for months, as I did recently, and come back, I also feel really difficult to realize what is happening, even with slower cars.

It is just a matter of use. Use it more and you'll get used to it.

I love GTL and use to play every week, and I know if any regular LFS player that is not used to it will find hard to drive Cobra or Corvette.

I hate XRG, I can't find a way to feel it realistc, and I don't think that is a problem for you, so, as said before, I insist that is just a matter of use.

Best regards
Did not read a line of what you all wrote. LFS' physics are much more realistic than rFactor's and that's all.
Quote from Speed Soro :
I hate XRG, I can't find a way to feel it realistic.

Can you please explain? I may have missed a few posts of yours but I don't understand what part of driving the XRG makes you think it is not realistic?

I mean, I never found anything that made it appear to me as unrealistic. A relatively light RWD, with shitty tires and if you don't drive it properly it's mega understeer in entries and spin in exits.
Have you tried it on supers? (with the slicktires mod) If not, try it, and so that you will have a comparison with others cars that have supers and that you consider realistic

Also, I think it is a matter of setups as well. I used to race with a quite stiff setup, and now that I lowered some values it definitely improved the overall available traction. It is just that when you get a setup from someone, they are usually way too stiff/extreme, and since you don't have any other comparison (because every one uses similar setups), you usually tend to think that it isn't realistic at all.

For instance, I tried to modify the homemade XRT set I use for racing, because I wasn't satisfied with its behavior. I lowered the suspension frequency to around 2.18Hz (60 rear - 58 front), and it really feels like a real race car, at the same time having good all around traction. I can get pretty decent times with it (I can make several laps at 101%-2.5s of the WR on KY3/KY3R which is very good to my standards since I drive on a freaking touchpad since september ).

Now, 60-58 are values that may appear very low compared to the LFS standards, but that are the values that are used in RL racing. You might want to try something similar on the XRG (I'd think that 70R-66F would work according to the lighter weight of the car and the different mass repartition), because I think it will help you find the realism in that car
Quote from Zen321 :Can you please explain? I may have missed a few posts of yours but I don't understand what part of driving the XRG makes you think it is not realistic?

I mean, I never found anything that made it appear to me as unrealistic. A relatively light RWD, with shitty tires and if you don't drive it properly it's mega understeer in entries and spin in exits.
Have you tried it on supers? (with the slicktires mod) If not, try it, and so that you will have a comparison with others cars that have supers and that you consider realistic

Also, I think it is a matter of setups as well. I used to race with a quite stiff setup, and now that I lowered some values it definitely improved the overall available traction. It is just that when you get a setup from someone, they are usually way too stiff/extreme, and since you don't have any other comparison (because every one uses similar setups), you usually tend to think that it isn't realistic at all.

For instance, I tried to modify the homemade XRT set I use for racing, because I wasn't satisfied with its behavior. I lowered the suspension frequency to around 2.18Hz (60 rear - 58 front), and it really feels like a real race car, at the same time having good all around traction. I can get pretty decent times with it (I can make several laps at 101%-2.5s of the WR on KY3/KY3R which is very good to my standards since I drive on a freaking touchpad since september ).

Now, 60-58 are values that may appear very low compared to the LFS standards, but that are the values that are used in RL racing. You might want to try something similar on the XRG (I'd think that 70R-66F would work according to the lighter weight of the car and the different mass repartition), because I think it will help you find the realism in that car

When I wrote "hate" don't get that so basic. I'm latino, with italian blood, I have my passional manners to treat things, ok?
XRG is a piece of crap IMHO. Just said that, I really can't figure where in my life I would be crazy to drive a shi.. like that with my family inside.
The car is just horrible, and since 2004 I've tried it and never see it as barely realistic.
Yes, I've drove RDW with medium HP and that is not near to that "thing".
Setup? Well, I'm one who many times say this same bs for the others, but I really can't image where in the world you go to a shop and buy a car where you need to send directly to your mechanic to adjust everything just to assure you will not spin out the track when doing a 80 kmh curve.
This car is just horrible, doesn't feel like real, and yes, you can get used to it, but that doesn't mean that its is realistic, but only that you get used.
Any simulator in the market has some great cars and some craps, except NKP that has just 3 types of OW cars and nothing more to compare (at least until next patch, then it will be another history).
I like LFS, don't think I'm bashing the game. I just hate this car, and I don't know where people feel it realistic. Sorry.
Quote from TAYLOR-MANIA :Well this is new news to me... Rfactor 2. http://www.virtualr.net/category/rfactor-2/
I guess alot of you already know about it though...

Yeap, I've seen this last week, and I swear I really didn't like what I see.
I just see more from the same things. Same visuals, same lights, same shadows.
By these graphics preview, we can assume that the physics and other thing will not suffer big updates...
But lets wait and see.
When gMotor2 come out, it was not too much different from gMotor1, but Gjon said that it would be. So, I think the unique way to know somehthing is the old and good way: wait.
But at least one thing is right: it comes before S3
Quote from Speed Soro :Yeap, I've seen this last week, and I swear I really didn't like what I see.
I just see more from the same things. Same visuals, same lights, same shadows.

First time I've seen the rF2 screenshots too and they are very disappointing. I never really liked the ISI graphics but there's really no excuse these days with the graphics hardware available. I realise there's probably more development to come but they look barely distinguishable from a very detailed GPL track
Quote from Speed Soro :
By these graphics preview, we can assume that the physics and other thing will not suffer big updates...

I prefer to be optimistic and think that the team has been focusing on the "under the hood" stuff such as physics instead of graphics. I can put up with really bad graphics if the physics are good!
Quote from Gnomie :I prefer to be optimistic and think that the team has been focusing on the "under the hood" stuff such as physics instead of graphics. I can put up with really bad graphics if the physics are good!

I understand, but don't agree 100%. By myself I think the whole thing is important, because everything is part of the simulation, not just physics.

I think rF2 will bring some physics improvements, a better UI, maybe a better force feedback, based on Real Feel Plugin experience, and maybe some little improvements on the lighting.

Today my hopes lie in the NFS-Shift from EA and F1-2009 from CM, although they are hopes somewhat modest. These two have not, traditionally, a correct understanding of what a simulator is.
Hmmm, this one is difficult. For online play lfs 2 is way better, rfactor has some outstandic mods tho.
Pure physics wise i think the corvette c6 mod (with realfeel) is way better then any streetcar in lfs 2. I prefer the more realistic raw lfs2 graphics tho.
So i guess they have both there pros and cons, for me rfactor is better becease i think physics are the most important aspect of a sim and the corvette c6 mod is really good. But Iracing is the best sim for sure physics wise.
Quote from Speed Soro :When I wrote "hate" don't get that so basic. I'm latino, with italian blood, I have my passional manners to treat things, ok?
XRG is a piece of crap IMHO. Just said that, I really can't figure where in my life I would be crazy to drive a shi.. like that with my family inside.
The car is just horrible, and since 2004 I've tried it and never see it as barely realistic.
Yes, I've drove RDW with medium HP and that is not near to that "thing".
Setup? Well, I'm one who many times say this same bs for the others, but I really can't image where in the world you go to a shop and buy a car where you need to send directly to your mechanic to adjust everything just to assure you will not spin out the track when doing a 80 kmh curve.
This car is just horrible, doesn't feel like real, and yes, you can get used to it, but that doesn't mean that its is realistic, but only that you get used.
Any simulator in the market has some great cars and some craps, except NKP that has just 3 types of OW cars and nothing more to compare (at least until next patch, then it will be another history).
I like LFS, don't think I'm bashing the game. I just hate this car, and I don't know where people feel it realistic. Sorry.

Hey tough guy, seems that you want to be aggressive. As far as I remember my state of mind when writing my post, I didn't write anything offensive or to piss you off, so calm down or take your aggro elsewhere.
I was giving you advices that could make the feeling more realistic for you. Realism is a question of perception, and I wanted to offer you diverse elements that could (again) give you another point of you.

Of course, the hardtracks setups are not good. And they are also nothing like the settings you'd get when you purchase a car. Try to spin on Bob's Road going pack not on purpose, because it is really hard unless you steer like a brute. Those setups will give you the feeling of the brand new car you just bought. And they are not suited for racing neither. There are no cars that are optimally good when you purchase/build them. It takes time to fine tune them, as well as fine tuning your handling of them. No car will give you a uber-power-super-dupah-powerpuffy-good laptime in an instant.

And how the f*** can you spin at a 80km/h curve ? Well, if your driving is as gentle as your speaking, it gives me a hunch about why (<-- now that was offensive perhaps, I don't know, maybe it's sarcasm ?). Your latino/italian bloodline has nothing to do with your temperaments. I know a lot of Italians and Latinos that are very smooth, while some people form the UK can be very aggressive. I'm sure that if I check my bloodline, I can find people in the Middle East or perhaps even India if I go back several centuries. But nobody gives a **** here.
Quote from Zen321 :Hey tough guy, seems that you want to be aggressive. As far as I remember my state of mind when writing my post, I didn't write anything offensive or to piss you off, so calm down or take your aggro elsewhere.
I was giving you advices that could make the feeling more realistic for you. Realism is a question of perception, and I wanted to offer you diverse elements that could (again) give you another point of you.

Of course, the hardtracks setups are not good. And they are also nothing like the settings you'd get when you purchase a car. Try to spin on Bob's Road going pack not on purpose, because it is really hard unless you steer like a brute. Those setups will give you the feeling of the brand new car you just bought. And they are not suited for racing neither. There are no cars that are optimally good when you purchase/build them. It takes time to fine tune them, as well as fine tuning your handling of them. No car will give you a uber-power-super-dupah-powerpuffy-good laptime in an instant.

And how the f*** can you spin at a 80km/h curve ? Well, if your driving is as gentle as your speaking, it gives me a hunch about why (<-- now that was offensive perhaps, I don't know, maybe it's sarcasm ?). Your latino/italian bloodline has nothing to do with your temperaments. I know a lot of Italians and Latinos that are very smooth, while some people form the UK can be very aggressive. I'm sure that if I check my bloodline, I can find people in the Middle East or perhaps even India if I go back several centuries. But nobody gives a **** here.

Agressive? No, I'm not agressive, I just say things that sounds like, but you look to be very nervous now. I couldn't be agressive here as I can, but have sure, I didn't want, neither intent to be. You take the things too much basic, even this "blood" thing. Forget. I'll not try to explain, and this talk sounds weird. Lets stop here. Have a nice day, gentleman.
Quote from Speed Soro :Agressive? No, I'm not agressive, I just say things that sounds like, but you look to be very nervous now. I couldn't be agressive here as I can, but have sure, I didn't want, neither intent to be. You take the things too much basic, even this "blood" thing. Forget. I'll not try to explain, and this talk sounds weird. Lets stop here. Have a nice day, gentleman.

My bad if I misinterpreted your tone in the post. Basically, what I felt was a bit like "gtfo with what you say anyway", so this is why I got pissed in my last post.

Sorry again.
It is too complicated to say things in forum in the same manner we say out here. Many times I know I sound agressive, but without intention to be agressive. Ok, regards
rFactor may be many things.

But if you've ever experienced motion of any type in this universe, surely you must know it's not an automobile driving sim.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG