The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
ive done a 1:21 in the mclaren online once, ill see if i can find the replay and film it
Quote : Impressive stuff that some hardware can do nowadays then.

I read that the gfx companies were talking about adding physics calculation capabilities to future cards- so you won't need a physX card for eg. But I didn't know it was already possible.
They're indeed working on this type of thing. From what I've heard, at least one of the companies is releasing an SDK that makes this type of thing easier to do. Actually, it might already be out for beta at this point, but I'm not sure about that.

Matrix and vector calcs can be done in 1 cycle, so it's just insanely fast. A matrix multiplication is probably 200 times faster on the graphics card than the CPU (edited, thanks Axus ), so there ought to be plenty of power there. Granted, when we all are running quad+core CPUs this may not be necessary, but it's an interesting area anyway. I've seen some physics stuff done on a GPU. One particular example was an audio system that was essentially doing live ray-tracing so a sound source in a maze would be pretty accurately altered by the walls and so on, so you get multiple reflections and all that. Runs in real time too because it's mostly done on the GPU, but there's no way it would even come close to running on a CPU.
Err, I guess you have GPU and CPU mixed up a few times. Otherwise some sentences don't make sense

Anyway, what would be interesting is a dynamic load balancing between CPU and GPU, so neither of both is sleeping around, waiting for the other. That would be the optimal solution, in my opinion.
Ah, yes, thanks. Fixed the error so the post should be correct now

And yes, load balancing is important indeed. Right now generally the vertex shader in a game is sitting around doing nothing for the most part, so there's probably plenty there to exploit.
Quote from jtw62074 :Ah, yes, thanks. Fixed the error so the post should be correct now

Not quite yet...
Downloaded it ,installed it, went to forums to get some setup clues,mucked about with cfg files,played it and didnt like it at all...

Snap oversteer like everyother ISI game, it may as well been GTL/GTR etc etc in new clothes it felt exactly the same , for a game that should be so refined after all these attemps its horrible, bloody arcane setup screens and that you have to dick around with cfg,s and the like is ridiculous in this day and age..

I think the mods for F1C were done so much better than this,
DISSAPOINTED !!

ps:feels like the car pivots around the middle rather than having independent axis,s at each corner (or however you say it) ISI should throw away all its code and start fresh imho...
I've been playing rFactor for 2 days now, and unless I'm missing something ( which is possible ) I can't get any reasonable control of the cars.

The brakes don't make sense no matter what I do, I'm always slowing down way too soon, or skidding thru the turn, with no in between.
The steering is similar, although not as bad.

I've done a lot of tweaking to the controls and the setups and can't seem to get it to feel just 'good' ( as opposed to great).

In LFS, I know where the car is going to go, I can look down the road, and imagine how I want the car to get where I'm looking, and that's where it goes. I can modulate the brakes and I know what's going to happen, and I can maintain speeds with the gas or brakes, or hustle the car in mid corner, etc.

I don't get that feel whatsoever in rFactor. I seem to be fighting to have the car not go where it shouldn't go, and that's a huge difference (in comparison, I do think nkpro felt pretty good, and I could control those
cars - just not on-line )

I don't know, I'd been driving the Fo8 at FE Gold for the previous week, and was really pusing it to my limits. I got back in it today for comparison, and I could barely drive a lap. I was unwillingly anticipating fighting the car as I had been in rFactor. It quickly got better after some laps.

As I say, I could be missing something ( please prove me right, I welcome it ), but LFS seems FAR superior. Maybe the two just can't be compared ?

Many of the rFactor mods are cool, the karts for example, and the real world tracks are something I miss from previous sims - but not even so much the 'real world-ness', just the huge variety of turns.

If there is a weak spot for LFS, I think the tracks are a bit too 'samey'.
Yes they are different, but there are a lot of high speed turns, broken up by extreme tight turns. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there aren't tracks I like a lot, but I'm looking forward to new tracks as much as anything in the future.

Granted it's a beta S2, and the bottom line is how it feels to drive, which I love. I'm certain there is much to come, too.
Quote from jtw62074 :Ah, yes, thanks. Fixed the error so the post should be correct now

Have another go.

Quote :200 times faster on the graphics card than the gpu

That's fascinating thoiugh, Todd.

Balancing it in real time would take some fancy code though. Maybe eventually there will be hardware that attempts to do this by itself.
Doh, fixed CPU/GPU #2, thanks Axus and Askoff
Quote :Maybe eventually there will be hardware that attempts to do this by itself

This is from an article about what you can except from the (as yet unavailable) DX10 cards.

Quote :Another new feature is the ability to get the graphics card to handle physics instead of the CPU, which can significantly allow more objects to be interacted with and making games more realistic.

So- it is becoming a feature. The other thing about the DX10 hardware is there will be a more even balance of the workload of the pixel and vertex shaders, becauase (on ATI cards atleast) they're getting rid of that distinction (vertex and pixel) and having everything run through unified shaders. So there's a more balanced, even load now as opposed to before when say in a pixel heavy scene the vertex shader was under-utilised or vise versa with a vertex heavy scene. To me this sets the scene for balancing the physics workload as well (I imagine you want both the CPU and the GPU to be handling physics- two heads are better than one eh?).
Quote from richo :Downloaded it ,installed it, went to forums to get some setup clues,mucked about with cfg files,played it and didnt like it at all...

Snap oversteer like everyother ISI game, it may as well been GTL/GTR etc etc in new clothes it felt exactly the same , for a game that should be so refined after all these attemps its horrible, bloody arcane setup screens and that you have to dick around with cfg,s and the like is ridiculous in this day and age..

I think the mods for F1C were done so much better than this,
DISSAPOINTED !!

ps:feels like the car pivots around the middle rather than having independent axis,s at each corner (or however you say it) ISI should throw away all its code and start fresh imho...

I agree %100 with this post. I get the EXACT same feeling. It feels like the car is pivoting on a huge ball in the center of the car instead of at the 4 corners.

Quote from Flycantbird :
I've been playing rFactor for 2 days now, and unless I'm missing something ( which is possible ) I can't get any reasonable control of the cars.

The brakes don't make sense no matter what I do, I'm always slowing down way too soon, or skidding thru the turn, with no in between.
The steering is similar, although not as bad.

I've done a lot of tweaking to the controls and the setups and can't seem to get it to feel just 'good' ( as opposed to great).

As I say, I could be missing something ( please prove me right, I welcome it ), but LFS seems FAR superior. Maybe the two just can't be compared ?

Many of the rFactor mods are cool, the karts for example, and the real world tracks are something I miss from previous sims - but not even so much the 'real world-ness', just the huge variety of turns.

If there is a weak spot for LFS, I think the tracks are a bit too 'samey'.
Yes they are different, but there are a lot of high speed turns, broken up by extreme tight turns. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there aren't tracks I like a lot, but I'm looking forward to new tracks as much as anything in the future.

Granted it's a beta S2, and the bottom line is how it feels to drive, which I love. I'm certain there is much to come, too.

I also agree completely with this response as well.

I've been trying the rFactor Demo now for two days. I just can't get a feel for the car. I'm constantly second guessing what the car is about to do, over-or-under braking for corners, over-or-under estimating my acceleration points. I also have a problem with rFactors sense of speed, or lack thereof. I get no sense of acceleration or deceleration by simply watching the road. I can't really tell how fast I'm going by simply looking at the scenery as I pass through it. According to their speedometer I'm going 180 mph on the straight, while it LOOKS like I'm going about 60 or 70 mph. The only time I get a good sense of a speed difference is when I slow down for the really tight hairpin curves.

I WANT to like rFactor, I really do. All the mods, the real life cars and tracks are VERY appealing, but for me the handling "real life" feel of a car is all important, and rFactor doesn't give me that feeling, while LFS does.

I, like Flycantbird, would be happy with a few more tracks, not just more configurations on the existing tracks, but overall I get much more driving sense and fun out of LFS than any other driving sim game I've ever had before.
Rfactor is as awesome as Racer.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :Rfactor is as awesome as Racer.

Racer CAN be quite awesome.
rFactor is moddable so and it is some advantage.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :Rfactor is as awesome as Racer.

Racer is superb! At least the physics... Just take the M3 or the NSX-R for a spin, it's amazing how you can 'feel' the car!
Quote from severin_schoepke :Racer is superb! At least the physics... Just take the M3 or the NSX-R for a spin, it's amazing how you can 'feel' the car!

is this a joke ?

Crappy collision system makes Racer very weak at racing
Quote from KeMoT : is this a joke ?

Crappy collision system makes Racer very weak at racing

I said "at least the physics"... I have never tried racing since the AI sucks and multiplayer is a hassle to set up...

Racer is very good to hotlap or just driving around, the physics are very good (as said above)... But be aware that not every car is good (I don't have to say this to you, since you're active in the RSC Racer forum :-) ).
Few months ago I tried lots of different cars that were claimed to be best ones. But they were all the same. Graphically the car models are awesome but physics-wise... I would use a term "free sim for keyboard players".
Quote from KeMoT :Racer CAN be quite awesome.
rFactor is moddable so and it is some advantage.

Its a shame then... that rFactor modders know nothing about tyres. Admittedly, I enjoyed GTR2 quite a lot after putting decent tyre values in there and having learnt more recently, I can improve those even further. But the community insists on believing that the moment that a race car slides, its completely out of control so it was doomed as a concept before it even hit development.
Quote from axus :...

When following "your" physics experiment over there, I was quite shocked at the reaction of some members. They were actually offended that you dared to thouch the oh so perfect slip curves provided by the holy GTR devs.

It seems that is a general thing on RSC, or atleast of the ISI group, though. They're unable to take criticism or improvement suggestions without being offended in some way or another. It's like as soon as Todd posts something, many are completely overwhelmed not understanding a word his and immediately go in hold-ears-LALALALALALA mode. Every new incarnation (abortion) of a ISI engine based sim is the bestest and most realistic ever, and all before that were complete crap. Now GTR2 is the king, but after they release GTR3 (for full price, of course; selling point: windscreen wipers) the GTR2 physics will be considered poo, because in #3 driving will be "harder" again and thus "more realistic". Or whatever.
Quote from axus :and having learnt more recently, I can improve those even further.

mind telling us about your latest findings ?
Quote from AndroidXP :When following "your" physics experiment over there, I was quite shocked at the reaction of some members. They were actually offended that you dared to thouch the oh so perfect slip curves provided by the holy GTR devs.

It seems that is a general thing on RSC, or atleast of the ISI group, though. They're unable to take criticism or improvement suggestions without being offended in some way or another. It's like as soon as Todd posts something, many are completely overwhelmed not understanding a word his and immediately go in hold-ears-LALALALALALA mode. Every new incarnation (abortion) of a ISI engine based sim is the bestest and most realistic ever, and all before that were complete crap. Now GTR2 is the king, but after they release GTR3 (for full price, of course; selling point: windscreen wipers) the GTR2 physics will be considered poo, because in #3 driving will be "harder" again and thus "more realistic". Or whatever.

The only game I like from the ISI engine is rFactor,but maybe that is because I am a little bit biased. I find it pretty cheap that $imbin doesnt use their own game engine. I guess LFS has more dept in the physics,I am tired about driving FOX @ BL1 and FOX @ South City. You just have more combinations in rFactor,even with the standard vehicles and tracks only.
Which is a pity.

In LFS,racingwise,only ranges you can drive is from lower-single seater to higher-single seater (which I dont even prefer),and some non-interesting GTR cars. While in rF,you have the same Single Seaters,plus an stockcar,plus an larger range of GTRs,which make up for great combined racing.
Quote from KeMoT :Crappy collision system makes Racer very weak at racing

That's an ironic thing to post on a LFS forum illepall
Quote from cartmen34 :I agree %100 with this post. I get the EXACT same feeling. It feels like the car is pivoting on a huge ball in the center of the car instead of at the 4 corners.

I also agree completely with this response as well.

I've been trying the rFactor Demo now for two days. I just can't get a feel for the car. I'm constantly second guessing what the car is about to do, over-or-under braking for corners, over-or-under estimating my acceleration points. I also have a problem with rFactors sense of speed, or lack thereof. I get no sense of acceleration or deceleration by simply watching the road. I can't really tell how fast I'm going by simply looking at the scenery as I pass through it. According to their speedometer I'm going 180 mph on the straight, while it LOOKS like I'm going about 60 or 70 mph. The only time I get a good sense of a speed difference is when I slow down for the really tight hairpin curves.

I WANT to like rFactor, I really do. All the mods, the real life cars and tracks are VERY appealing, but for me the handling "real life" feel of a car is all important, and rFactor doesn't give me that feeling, while LFS does.

I, like Flycantbird, would be happy with a few more tracks, not just more configurations on the existing tracks, but overall I get much more driving sense and fun out of LFS than any other driving sim game I've ever had before.

Yes-yes, same here... I'm braking for a corner and thinking "OK, are the wheels locked or spinning... am I going to overshoot or not!? OK, I overshot..." next time I don't overshoot and I'm like "give me some feedback, damn car". Driving at high speed does not at all feel like driving at high speed... FOV issue?

EDIT: And another thing: The new Monza track is awsome with the oval and everything... However, when I arrive at the front straight, I suddenly get like 2 FPS... WTF!! I don't understand how they can make a track where I can get 2-30 FPS... Furthermore: this seems like wasting resources. If you make a track that needs a very good Graphics card then make the whole track pretty and shiny and not like friggin 10 seconds of 2 minutes. 1 minutes 50 sec of the track I can drive, 10 sec I can't drive even in a straight line... Can't imaging what will happen when there is a race start with 20 cars on the grid or smth. Minus 20 FPS?

EDIT: Yes, I love it that I can't play the new track because of some friggin boxes* on the side of the front straight!!!

* buildings
Quote from Sternendaal :I find it pretty cheap that $imbin doesnt use their own game engine.

Some eh little birdie told that SimBin is actually planning to leave behind ISI engine after they'll finish Race.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG