The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
yeah lol my expectations are so low that i will probably still be able to enjoy the bf1 around nurbugring . i'm about to try it in a few seconds
I just bought rFactor license for driving on a just released news scratch made version of the Nordschleife. You know why i'am now the luckiest man in the world? Because there is a 48hour money back guarantee... i used it right after 4 hours driving.

The game is just... it's so uncomplete - just the usability isn't really good. The fictional car models just don't look like cars, they do have so many mistakes. And i don't start talking about the physics...

Greets,
Warper
The only decent rivals out there are by Papy, nK is to uncomplete and ISI games appear to reinvent the laws of physics.

Both GPL/N2003 have online play and plenty of add on tracks. With mods GPL covers the 65/67/69 GP seasons as well as crazy ficticous CanAm engined single seaters that go earth shatteringly fast in a straight line but rather more realistically than most crazy power big engined mods don't do corners

N2003 caters for various Nascar series, (modern) Trans Am and the simply awesome GTP mod. It also has loads of addon tracks.

Both Papy sims have very good online code and support large grids (GPL 19/N2003 42) although to get decent racing you'll have to join a league.

Getting N2003 is hard. GPL is very easy to find, I suggest you look for the GPL 2004 demo, it's fully patched with the latest addons and supports MP, you can use all the addon tracks with it but you'll need to buy GPL (£5 look at budget game sections) to get the original GPL tracks.

Quote from Jakg :if you want mods - whats wrong with racer?

90% of the time playing racer is spent either tweaking files to setup your wheel, flying madly out of control, rebooting or trying to downloading a fix.
Quote from Jakg :if you want mods - whats wrong with racer?

Some people are subject to not reading posts properly and replying to quick, our Jak is one of them. I said I wanted another online game with the mods, because now that i've had LF, nothing compares to beating someone else in the same situation, or being beaten by them.

Thanks for all the comments, you can see why I was asking opinions, some people like it and some people don't, some people get a refund straight after it, some like Trsitan arn't particularly fond of the game but still want to keep it for some little things they like.

Seems my "Ask the audience" card has came out 50/50, which friend shall I call?

And thanks for your opinions, much appreciated, but as I said, i'm still 50/50.....
If you can afford it, then I'd say get it. If you really can't afford it or justify that cost, then don't.

As with all titles you have to take a chance when you buy it. But rFactor does offer a 2 day refund option. I'd suggest taking a look over at the RSC forum, finding a few mods that take your fancy, downloading them, then trialling rFactor with them. If you don't like it/them then you've wasted only a little time, and you'll know for certain.

I've been told that the F3 mod was good. It isn't, and since a few other more popular mods have come out people now seem to say it's crap. It IS crap, but I find it amusing that people only started admitting that when it wasn't the craze of the moment.
Apparently the karting mod is good. It's probably moved on since I tried it last, and I have no idea if it's currently in fashion.
There was another mod, for Meganes I think, that was apparently perfect. But it's probably crap now, for no other reason than something newer has come along.

As for tracks, some are good, some are bad.

With all of these, you MUST have the CORRECT (and not necessarily latest or official) versions of any mod to make it work online. Then you have to find someone online to play against (AI isn't satisfying for me ever), and at the last count only 12 people were online at any one time.

Finally, once you've found a popular, well reviewed mod, edited 150 ini files to make the steering work vaguely like a real cars, got the right versions of all the tracks, bought the cars (usually by the cheatcode I can't currently remember), and done everything you need to, you'll be able to play with some poor handling cars in a game where everyone calls you a fanboy if you so much as mention any other game/sim.

Oh, and LFS is crap according to rTractor lovers because we don't have the facility to add poor representations of real life cars in 50 different incompatible versions made by people with no understanding of cars, physics or art. But of course, that doesn't matter, because rFactor has modding. Hurrah!

Enjoy your game. In all seriousness I do recommend trying the 2 day refund thing out. But don't get your hopes up.

Edit: I forgot to mention the terrible graphics. It looks like a joke. Nowhere near real life. Some people have tried to impress me by showing screenshots, but not one has looked even remotely like reality. LFS on the other hand has a much better, more real look, with less bright colours, and cars that don't look photoshopped onto the track. The dynamic daylight cycle is nice though, with track lights coming on as it gets darker. But it never looks real. Ever.
Quote from tristancliffe :
Oh, and LFS is crap according to rTractor lovers because we don't have the facility to add poor representations of real life cars in 50 different incompatible versions made by people with no understanding of cars, physics or art. But of course, that doesn't matter, because rFactor has modding. Hurrah!

LOL!
rfactor has the worst collision model ever. Wheels dont seem to collide and i can drive a formula car a few metres up the back of another before it seems to recognise it. Then theres the collisions with the barriers which seems to send the program into a random collision generator that flicks the car about in the most insane and unrealistic way.
Quote from tristancliffe :rTractor

please dont call it that, not only will you excite SamH, you will also give the SimTractor (real game!) followers a bad name!
Everybody should defenately try GPL. A true landmark that still amazes while still being almost ten years old. With the latest graphics updates it doesn't look too bad either. Not too many mods, but quality over quantity is the key in GPL mods. Though online play can be quite a problem because the only way (just a guess, haven't played it online muself at all) to race against others is leagues. But everyone who considers to be a simracer should defenately own a copy

Hmm, is the rfactor really that expensive? I mean, to get into the "sim" one should really play it at least for a week, before making any judgements whether to like it or not. Hmm, whatabout GTL or the coming GTR2 then? Some like these...
Quote from Jakg :please dont call it that, not only will you excite SamH, you will also give the SimTractor (real game!) followers a bad name!

::drools::
Quote from sil3ntwar :rfactor has the worst collision model ever. Wheels dont seem to collide and i can drive a formula car a few metres up the back of another before it seems to recognise it. Then theres the collisions with the barriers which seems to send the program into a random collision generator that flicks the car about in the most insane and unrealistic way.

Though we can't really afford to complain about that because LFS's collision model is also crap until it is fixed. Though even that in LFS you just sometimes suddenly get a free ticket to a moonflight after very minor collision with a another car, I think it is still a smaller problem than the way you can simply crash other cars in rFactor (and GTL/GTR2 too) and you practically don't get punished at all. I don't mean only damage, crashing just doesn't seem to affect grip at all etc.
Quote from deggis :Though we can't really afford to complain about that because LFS's collision model is also crap until it is fixed.

Well, the LFS collision model is 100x more realistic, looks 100x more realistic and feels 100x realistic than in any other "sim". And those random moonflights really aren't that big problem in normal racing.

Get over it and focus all your frustration in this: linky linky
Quote from Bawbag :Some people are subject to not reading posts properly and replying to quick, our Jak is one of them. I said I wanted another online game with the mods, because now that i've had LF, nothing compares to beating someone else in the same situation, or being beaten by them.

Racer does have online racing (never tried it) though I suspect it will be pretty empty and crap.
I have both LFS and Rfactor and i like them both.

However are a bit different.
And im not speaking about physics or mod quality (watch out for 2cv, ETCC 2003 and BMW M3 E46 mod, will be amazing... )

I'm speaking about the "mindset" that you have when you play.

Rfactor imho explain all its fun when played in private servers with people that you know and that are good are driving. This is because the general level of players on public server is lower then lfs (due to not having things like team inferno setups imho), so there are noobs, wreckers etc...

However when played on championship is extremely fun, maybe for the more realistical aspect of motor racing, because it simulate real series on real tracks ( F1 1979 at nordscheife it's simply amazing!!).

On the opposite, if you want a fast run, lfs beat them all.
Because generally people on server are fast, or at least correct (or experienced a bit for not causing a crash at each turn), and the race starting process is faster: 5 laps, then again.
On rf usually servers are on pratice 1, then 2, 3 then qualy then warm up and then race lol

Rf is heavier about fps, and you need a good pc for run it well.
However graphic detail is higher then lfs (lfs seems a bit more natural on colors imho)
Netcode is good on both, no lag at all.

Both are good games. If you are a racing simulation player, imho you have to buy them both. There isn't nothing better on the simulation market.
Yes but these are just mods, mods you have to find others to play with, not just open the game and go online to find some oher "racer" randoms.

I had racer for a while once, found it amusing for a few days then it died, over with that game.

Thanks for all the opinions and after reading Tristans huge Tracktor report i'm not wasting money which I shouldn't really be spending anyway as being your average pour college student I shouldn't be wasting it anywhere.

I don't think i'll try, but it was some mod for Nordschleife I liked the look of, saw a vid on google video and it looked tempting if unrealistic.
Imho is not hard to find people that plays certain mods:
all rf players know which mods are usually played and if you download those 6 or 7 mods you can play quite on all servers

However yes, the ring is yet based on GPlegends version.
There was a realistical version WIP for netkarpro, but i dunno at which state it is atm.

There are certain people too that are saying that with a conroe 6800 they should be able to extract the ps2 gt4 version of the ring from the emulator and converting it to 3dsmax. I'm yet searching infos about it, because i know people with 6800 so, if is true, it can be done.
Quote from SpaceMarineITA :Imho is not hard to find people that plays certain mods:
all rf players know which mods are usually played and if you download those 6 or 7 mods you can play quite on all servers

There was a realistical version WIP for netkarpro, but i dunno at which state it is atm.

There are certain people too that are saying that with a conroe 6800 they should be able to extract the ps2 gt4 version of the ring from the emulator and converting it to 3dsmax. I'm yet searching infos about it, because i know people with 6800 so, if is true, it can be done.

Another person who doesn't read posts, I was talking about "Racer" as I said at the end of teh paragraph...
Last thing about RF:

after 1.150 patch, rf evolved a lot from hallen point of view in the last page.

FF is now better, and cars are more comunicative.
In a certain sense it seems less permissive on errors, infact when i play rf and then return to lfs i feel to drive a bit more clean, quite less aggressive (not faster eh).

However if u are a good driver on rf or lfs you are good on the other too.
Only thing that you need a lot more on rf then lfs is a good setup making experience
Quote from Bawbag :Another person who doesn't read posts, I was talking about "Racer" as I said at the end of teh paragraph...

For racers you have to find forums of well estabilisted championship and you will find greger huttu too
No, "Racer" it's another game.
Quote from Bawbag :No, "Racer" it's another game.

oh lol ops, i have readed again the post, i missed some parts lol

Too late here, time to bed
Quote from SpaceMarineITA :
There was a realistical version WIP for netkarpro, but i dunno at which state it is atm

As far as I know it's still under work. There a few screenshots of it too in rscnet.org / netKar section somewhere. Though I don't know what is the state of netKar Poo if it even has one...

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG