The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from tristancliffe :I don't even bother reading it anymore. So I don't think them hyping DR means anything in the slightest. Until it's out it could turn out to be utterly utterly rubbish.

from what ive seen so far by testing it myself and reading that interview i can honsetly tell you that i does have great potential even if the whole modding doesnt work out

from the interview i draw that the developer is a physics geek himself much like scawen and todd and much like lfs does it dr is thought be be a wip

and from testing it i get that feel the lfs dt and s1 had like its got great potential but the physics arent quite up there with the very best yet
the tyre physics are a lot more "there already" than the ones lfs previously had already at this rather early stage so atm i rate it the only sim that has a shot at getting a place on my hdd except lfs
(and also as the only sim that has a shot at being driftable)
Some great points here. In particular, what axus says about RACE. When I read that RACE was being made I thought eh another GTR release but with different cars. It just doesnt seem right. GTR, GTL and GTR 2 to me feel practically identical and then you visit RSC and people are having orgasms over these "new" releases. Just bizarre. I just cannot play these games and I've tried them all.

Shotglass makes a good point about DR, this game has potential. It feels good now at this early stage. Just like in LFS you can feel what the car is doing and take appropriate action. What struck me about DR is the graphics (OpenGL I think). I played DR for an hour and then fired up LFS and I thought shit whats wrong with my LFS!!! It made me realise how "grainy" LFS is.

Still nothing comes close to LFS at the moment and once again had some excellent racing tonight.
Quote from Boris Lozac :It's an excellent discusion in these last couple of posts.
What really pisses me off in this kind of discussions beatwean ISI games and LFS, is that when you say something that makes perfect sense and it really is true, for example "ISI FF tells me nothing, i don't know when is going to countersteer or whatever" the ISI fanboys never listen, and they will always defend it, and never give you an answer to that.. illepall

I think the difference is more subtle but still striking when comparing other sim communities and LFS community. As Tristan said in one of his many many many many many many posts, the LFS differs in that we don't start blindly defending our sim, but instead we look into it and try to see why LFS does something the way it does trying to find out if there is something to investigate. On rf forum the chances are much greater that it ends up a shit flinging contest.
Quote from Boris Lozac :It's like in this documentary "conspiracy theory" when they present bunch of evidence how Nasa and USA governement lied and never landed on the Moon, and then the Nasa spokesman "reject" that with no counter proof or whatsoever, just says that it is not true, and that they really landed on the Moon. Then say something in defence, or give some evidence that you did?? No hard feelings to the Americans, maybe you reall did land.

Are you talking about that document? I thought the document was made to show that if you make up evedence you can publish pretty much anything you want. So as far as I know, they did land on the moon
Quote from Boris Lozac :It's the same when discussing things with ISI fans.. they just rejects you and say that it is not true, just because they can drive the "Porsche" or whatever. And then i can't help but think that they don't care about the physics at all, they care more about having real cars and tracks, and the physics can be ok, nevermind. I mean, am i wrong or what?? That just really pisses me off, you can't discuss things in normal way..

Well, it's all about having real race drivers testing it
Quote from Boris Lozac :
It's like in this documentary "conspiracy theory" when they present bunch of evidence how Nasa and USA governement lied and never landed on the Moon, and then the Nasa spokesman "reject" that with no counter proof or whatsoever, just says that it is not true, and that they really landed on the Moon. Then say something in defence, or give some evidence that you did??

Haha. Are you serious ?
Just for the record I've played the DR beta thingy too, so my comments on it aren't based on ARSE articles.
What is 'DR' ?
Quote from tristancliffe :Just for the record I've played the DR beta thingy too, so my comments on it aren't based on ARSE articles.

im surprised you havent commented on it having some great potential

or maybe youre just a little more cautious after the nkp debacle
Quote from AndroidXP :Anyway, please don't get me wrong, I did by no means want to discredit DR or something. It's just that since the nKP debacle, I judge a game after I have played it, not by something someone has said, especially if A.S.S. is the source. DR's physics model might aswell be better than the LFS one, but I cannot give an opinion to that, as I haven't played it myself. Why on earth you steer the discussion to Drivers Republic in a "rFactor vs LFS" thread is beyond me, though.

I was just making light of the fact that NONE of the current race sims are perfect.. not rF, not GTR2, not LFS, and not RBR.. Well, RBR soft surface is perfect.. or as close to perfect as you can get with today's PC's. It is a beautiful thing.

Still.. the point was that even if DR turns out to be a steaming turd pile, what Eero is trying to accomplish is what all race sims should be trying to accomplish as far as physics model goes.
Some sims don't even try, some try and don't succeed. The one's that don't try to emulate what he is talking about, do it a different way, by "fudging" the physics as he says- and then trying to tune the "fudged physics model to feel as realistic as possible.. That does work to an extent, but it is obviously flawed.
Others try to do what Eero is talking about in that article, and do it well, but don't succeed in achieving that perfect balance for whatever reason. You all can make up your own minds about which is which. I think it is obvious.

What bugs me about this forum SOMETIMES is that when someone doesn't bash another sim they are somehow bashing LFS.. That's not how it works kids.. Just because someone can appreciate LFS AS WELL AS another sim doesn't mean they should be attacked for not ONLY liking LFS. illepall

Isn't that view a little extreme? You die-hard LFS fans need to lighten up for god's sakes. Just because I can find the good points in rFactor that LFS may be lacking in does not equate to me "bashing" LFS. I think the best sim would be a mix of all of them by taking certain features from each that that one does best.

If you are all honest with yourselves you will realize that some do some things better than others.. Not one of therm does everything best. The people who only play one and shun all other sims are the ones that lose out in the end.

LFS does a number of things better than anyone else.. it's worth playing.. BUT rF also does a lot of things that make it well worth playing and if you people could open up you minds a little you would see that. You LFS only fan-boys can flame me all you want, call my a stupid American or whatever.. I know I'm right about this and so do you.
I DO admit the good bits in rF - I always try and mention the brake squeal. Okay, so I sometimes forget, but not on purpose. As you say, every sim has some redeeming feature.

As for DR, I'm not going to get excited by it and shout glowing praise on it. Not because I didn't like it, but because the main aim of the beta was to gauge online play. The physics are still quite early in development, and whilst there is definitely promise, it needs a whole lot more (which goes without saying). And yes, after nKPoo I'm a bit more cautious of heaping praise on something, but at least DR does do weird 90 degree spins for no reason, it loads and it works online, so it's already better than nK.
Quote from BWX232 :Well, RBR soft surface is perfect.. or as close to perfect as you can get with today's PC's. It is a beautiful thing.

just because something is the best anybody has managed to do up until now doesnt make it perfect and certainly not as close to perfect as you can get with todays pcs especially not if the game is already a few years old
Quote from KiDCoDEa :whats a real shame is that for 2 years you havent stoped your bashing of lfs, and the usual "whatever in fashion isi product" propaganda.
anyone can make up their mind and anyone can see whats the best online racing sim.
you and deggis sound like a broken record and i wish we would get better trolls , with creativity, and proper ill intended acute thought. you guys just bore me. keep trashing this sim in bhms or rsc and whatever you want but if u wanna trash it here pick better references than plastic toy rfactor, or no one here will give a shit at what you are saying. its not even a sim, and worse, its not fun at all.

i agree with alot of your opinions on other "simulators. its just that you could be more delicate with your words... but you choose not to. As i've said before its a respect and maturity issue.
#338 - Woz
Is Drivers Republic is the offering from Fir$t/iRacing?

The people that purchased the NR2003 source code and then set the legal dogs out into the sim racing community to shut down as much mod based content for NR2003 as they could?

The same people that once they had employed the Wildfire team made sure those mods were no longer available for NR2003 even though they were legal mods where the required physics updates were include by pappy into the core NR2003 engine?

Is their any more news on how they will charge for this sim because the last I heard you would have to pay a monthly fee to play online and also to pay for mods?
#339 - Woz
Ah, nope, my mistake...

Its from the RBR developer
drivers republic sounds interesting. Funny to read about all these 'innovative' development styles of it though when it sounds just like the LFS model
Having a mech engineer as the driving force behind the physics can't hurt...
Quote from Woz :Ah, nope, my mistake...

Its from the RBR developer

Woz and blowtus. if u want beta invite, pm me ur email u want it sent to
only if u have a graphics card that fully supports DX9 tho...
just for the record, the Monza track is released, and imo, its one of the best tracks released for a sim, ever. the full layout is just amazing .

My dream, this track in LFS. that would keep me in front of the computer for about a year.
Quote from Woz :Is their any more news on how they will charge for this sim because the last I heard you would have to pay a monthly fee to play online and also to pay for mods?

You already corrected your misinfo but there is no info about this yet. In the latest ASS article there were no mentions about payment. They plan to get 1.0 released Q4 this year or early 2007. Before that there will be fully open beta test.

I have also invites left if anyone wants...
i wouldnt mind an invite to it... deko7291(at)gmail.com
invite sent

(just want to inform that to other people so no one else sends you another invite for nothing)
thanks
Quote from joshdifabio :I don't like rfactor at all but i hate that argument that LFS fanboys always use.

Fan boys ???

Maby you should rewrite it to fan MEN. This maby is one of the biggest differences between Lfs and all the other "sims" out there.

This sim (Lfs) is been driven by men, all the others are boys "playing" arcade games, with not much reality. I have tried most of the car "sims" out there, and put them away again - INSTANTLY !

The day I saw the Lfs demo, I was convinced on the spot, that this was the Sim, I should buy. Lfs is so much more, than the simgames out there - Totally in it`s own class - Therefore, you can`t compare Lfs with "games".
Actually he can compare it with whatever he likes. Whether we agree or not is our own opinion. These arguments are so dull, they just spring up every 3 months, go round in circles for 3 weeks, upset people, cause bitter arguments, then quieten down again, dormant, waiting for the next person to come along with a pointy stick. Thanks for your contributions
Quote from al heeley :Actually he can compare it with whatever he likes. Whether we agree or not is our own opinion. These arguments are so dull, they just spring up every 3 months, go round in circles for 3 weeks, upset people, cause bitter arguments, then quieten down again, dormant, waiting for the next person to come along with a pointy stick. Thanks for your contributions

But I can`t answer a person, calling me a fanboy !??

Do I not have a rigth to speak freely ??

I think my answer is 100% not OT, and I cannot read all those threads, you mention. I started on the international forum, just a while ago, but all you people can do, is hunt new people down.

Why can`t people just say their meaning, and keep shut if they have nothing to say. I don`t understand this forum, where everybody hunts everybody, just for beeing rigth.

Could it be because it is an interesting subject, that people takes up that discussion, over and over ? - Did you consider that ?

Can you tell me if I have bend any rules ????
Quote from KiDCoDEa :whats a real shame is that for 2 years you havent stoped your bashing of lfs, and the usual "whatever in fashion isi product" propaganda.
anyone can make up their mind and anyone can see whats the best online racing sim.
you and deggis sound like a broken record and i wish we would get better trolls , with creativity, and proper ill intended acute thought. you guys just bore me. keep trashing this sim in bhms or rsc and whatever you want but if u wanna trash it here pick better references than plastic toy rfactor, or no one here will give a shit at what you are saying. its not even a sim, and worse, its not fun at all.

The real shame is that a "Kid" like you who was banned from all Sim places continue to Blablabla all the time.

You re just so Kiddish that all the Guys who hear stupid comments from a new Nickname on Racingforums(not just RSC) thinks automatically it s you.(and it s youillepall)

The only place you re welcome is here,than be a bit mature for the others who growed up.

Sorry to the others for my bad English.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG