The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Well it isn't easy to judge graphics when their is DOF giving it an advantage. Without it, it wouldn't look so special. I've played rFactor at full resolution and graphics with my friend's new system, and the cars look alright, but nothing entirely impressive... it isn't like LFS or rFactor are truly remarkable for a video game's graphics, compared to what other genres look like these days.

LFS does lack detail and decent lighting though. Those are the finer points where LFS could improve.
Graphically I think nK Pro is the best I've seen from a PC game in ages.

This is taken with my AMD 2600+, GeForce 4MX, 512mb RAM etc, so nothing special and yet I still get an average of 30 FPS.

This is what it can look like on a good system : http://img83.imageshack.us/img ... ks20060415005418432sm.jpg

I also noticed that article with the two BMWs and burst out laughing when they said they used deafult setups from both games. If you want to compare them fairly surely setting them up the same would be a start :rolleyes:

Keiran
Yes, netkar is the best looking sim imho, though on playable levels the nk looks bad because good fps is essential for minimum steering lag and playability.
Quote from keiran :This is what it can look like on a good system : http://img83.imageshack.us/img ... ks20060415005418432sm.jpg

I think your screenshot looks nicer than that one. The reflections (is that what they are?) on the car look terrible.

Quote from Hyperactive :Yes, netkar is the best looking sim imho, though on playable levels the nk looks bad because good fps is essential for minimum steering lag and playability.

Same with rFactor, to a large degree (maybe not as much as in nKPro with what I remember from the 10 minutes I played it).
rfactor looks sort of good on a screenshot but in motion the cars look dead compared to lfs
Quote from Shotglass :rfactor looks sort of good on a screenshot but in motion the cars look dead compared to lfs

Exactly.. and i can't for the sake of me understand how is that "the perfect multiplayer" when there's no suspension movements of the cars.. Ok, i now that rFactor can support a lot more players on the server, but i can't swallow that funny looking static cars that dance around on the track unpredictably..
Quote from BWX232 :not very much PS in that pic.. the game looks basically like that w/o the blurring of the background.

as a bigoted one eyed lfs-disliker, surely you should leave it to *others* to make a fool of your points...?
The autosimsport rF versus LFS comparison is a bit of a "comparison". There is no scientifical proof of anything, no graphs shown or actual real life proven data presented in the whole article. Surely that data is hard or almost impossible to get, it just doesn't make the whole comparison to sound any much trustworthy. The whole thing is based on "feel", like the g-factor testing.

"For instance, both cars seem to offer too much grip-3.5 G at 183km/h, at least to us, to be a little optimistic. But we may be wrong."

But they may be wrong
Quote from Hyperactive :
"For instance, both cars seem to offer too much grip-3.5 G at 183km/h, at least to us, to be a little optimistic. But we may be wrong."

But they may be wrong

That got me as well, unless I'm not understanding where they are taking that G reading from a 125 kart will pull that much G at probably 40-50mph less
I think the ASS article proves something; you can't really evaluate a sim completely with just a quick review and by comparing a couple of parameters.

For all of you who only spent a few minutes with rF and declared it crap, well you just diminished all of us by doing that. I am not saying that you opinion is not valid, but it comes across as a blinders on fan boy kind of thing to do.

LFS suites me much, much better than rF. I have spent quite a bit of time in rF and I have found a bunch of things that greatly detract from its appeal for me. My initial impression of rF was not good. But that is not exacly fair so I spent some time with it and I would need to spend a lot more time with it to get it closer to good. However, that does point out one of LFS' strong points. It is much, much easier to cofigure the environment than rF is. Still, there are tricks you need to know about in LFS to get all that you can out of it. rF is the same way, but nothing is explained well, and you have to find settings in goofy ini files to make things closer to real.

The article points out a few things that rF has that LFS does not, damper settings, diff settings, etc. It may have settings for these things, but from playing around with the more limited settings available on other cars, they don't behave predictably and accurately like settings in LFS generally do.

I guess my point is, these type of article rarely address the meat of the issue and they also generally pick comparison points that generally don't mean a lot. I don't really care if rF has more damper settings, I care if those damper setting correspond to a reaction in the car like a real car would. That question is completely unanswered in the article.

rF is definitely over-grippy. I know it varies from car to car and mod to mod, but because the grip can be altered like that, it proves that grip curves try to map a result instead of the physics dictating a reaction.

For example, I tried the BMW M3 mod and I was easily able to lap Road America at the same times as an ALMS P1 prototype. The top speeds are way different. The difference was I was able to charge through the corners at a very unrealistically high speed with the M3. That does not build a lot of confidence in rF physics.

As far as the screenshots go... just read my second quote below. Nuff said.
Really well said Eric. I appreciate your approach and maturity in defining the issue better. I might just get RF so I can have some valid input after testing it out for a month or so while waiting for things to happen in the LFS front.

Although Axus' graphs make it seem like a waste of time.... :
Ball Bearing Turbo, consider giving GTR2 a shot instead of rFactor. It's a much better package (apart from the multiplayer).
I played the demo a lot and I wasn't impressed....

And again, Axus' curves spoiled it also. Once you see how they are shaped it becomes merely academic to drive GTR2. I wouldn't mind trying it with the "realistic physics mod" though.

(the fact that one had to be created speaks volumes!)
one thing i am looking forward to in rfactor is the rain which apparently is coming in a while.

its not even the rain thats getting me excited tbh, its the changable weather. after watching the past few F1 races, where tyre choice is so important and a drying line makes a huge difference. (which is getting implimented in rf apparently) it will make for amazing endurance races and such.
Quote from Blowtus :as a bigoted one eyed lfs-disliker, surely you should leave it to *others* to make a fool of your points...?

You seem to be doing fine for yourself in that area with your posts. illepall

also- don't put words in my mouth.. I never said anything about hating any race sim. I just said they each have their strong points and weak points.
i also thought blowtus's jab was unneccesary.

i prefer live for speed for reasons i've already stated hundreds of times on dosens of different forums. I the focus of LFS is more what i'm looking for. the only other game that looks to have anywhere near as bright of a future as LFS is DR... Neither sim seems to be taking shortcuts.
LFS for 500.
Quote from BWX232 :also- don't put words in my mouth.. I never said anything about hating any race sim. I just said they each have their strong points and weak points.

Fair enough - sorry, I didn't need to be harsh. I did think it was pretty damn funny posting that heavily chopped pic though...
That's the thing.. it wasn't heavily chopped.. I have the game.. besides the fake blurring in that pic.. that is how good it looks - some mods are extremely highly detailed. That along with rFactor's DX9 lighting produces amazing results. That is one if it's strong points.
depth of field is one of the biggest things lacking in most pc graphics - adding it via photoshop is a pretty massive change
Quote :That's the thing.. it wasn't heavily chopped.. I have the game..

Maybe you should send the original image...

Quote :LFS does lack detail

An example (WIP) of what South City could look like (and does, on my system)
http://www.lfsforum.net/attach ... id=17660&d=1160180193

And no frame rate loss at all...
Quote from BWX232 :... nice pic...

Do you also have pictures that show a bit more of the scenery? I mean, yes the car looks pretty nice and very detailed - they seem to have evolved alot since the first shots of rFactor - but are the tracks still as shoddy as I remember them?
Quote from AndroidXP : - they seem to have evolved alot since the first shots of rFactor -

IIRC, that's the Ferrari from the CTDP F1 2005 mod All of their stuff is top notch. The cars that come with the game don't look quite that good; save for maybe the Rayzor and the rF3. The Aussie V8 mod and the NAGT mod are two more which look outstanding. NAGT is yet to be released, but the Aussie V8 mod is absolutely fantastic imho. It's got the best feel of any rF mod/car/whatever that I've tried. Still not quite LFS in terms of 'feel' but it is very fun to drive one of the Holdens or the Falcons.

Like any modabble game, though, rF will only look as good as the mod is made to be. The default rF stuff is nothing to write home about (doesn't mean it sucks, it's just not top notch) but some of the mods are awesome. CTDP F1 2005 and the Aussie V8 mods are the tops at this point, but the Porsche Carrera Cup mod from GSMF is another great one.

I find it amusing when people get a picture of a track/car that is not 'up to snuff' and say rF has crap graphics. rF's graphics are indeed better than LFS's when time is put into the objects and textures, as seen with the pre-mentioned mods.
some people say its up to preference on wether rfactor has better graphics than lfs... but if you've seen the 2005f1 mod... you'd have to be a pitiful fanboy to continue say LFS looks better. overall, rfactor has much better graphics. i posted unedited screenshots. http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=211183#post211183.

but for me... the most important thing is realistic physics and force feedback, and so that is why LFS is my favorite sim
overall car movement, tire deformation... what other games do this as good as LFS?
LFS is a racing simulator, not a screenshot generator

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG