The online racing simulator
Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
Quote from colcob : you dont need to be able to put down 700bhp while exiting a 30-40mph tight bend twice a lap without spinning;.

Yeah, so I'm definitely NOT a NASCAR fan, but this is just wrong.

You need to do just that, except with 800bhp and a live rear axle and unsettling transitions from asphalt to concrete, all with 42 other cars nearby. Read: Bristol/Martinsville.
Quote from Gabkicks :it seems popular nowadays in europe to hate america.

Well, maybe hate is a rude word, we don't hate America, but there is a common thinking (and not only in Europe) that your presidents should stop "saving the world" without being asked for .

For a start you should stop wearing guns all around, I don't want to be rude, but you guys can't imagine how hilarious this thing is for us.

But don't think we hate America

EDIT: Some typos
we dont go around wearing guns. its only in some parts of america where people walk around with guns shown (like parts of texas) because its legally required for the gun to be visible if i remember correctly.

i wonder what other types of steriotyps euros have about america
If NASCAR was a french, or italian, or british or german thing I'd dislike it just as much. I also dislike F1, f.e.

Vain
Yea, I hate F1 for the following reason: it's one big ripoff. I will never forget the race where michael schumacher was second, his teammate first, and the pits radioed him to back off, and let michael win.

And the thing is, with america, they really try to control the rest of the world, people don't like this. The worst thing is, america isn't even that much better in things that they say is wrong in other countries. America kinda tells the world not to have arms, because it would start wars, but america also owns arms, nothing bad about that, and they start wars against other countries, because of speculations. While most people are pretty sure when they say it just was about oil. Oh well, this is not my kind of discussion. I always liked america for some reason, but some things just aint right.
Quote from sgt.flippy :I will never forget the race where michael schumacher was second, his teammate first, and the pits radioed him to back off, and let michael win.

That did suck, but team orders are not allowed anymore. The F1 teams opinion is that it is their job to bend the rules and for the FIA to catch and stop them (can anyone here tell us who exactly said this?)
Quote from Gabkicks :we dont go around wearing guns. its only in some parts of america where people walk around with guns shown (like parts of texas) because its legally required for the gun to be visible if i remember correctly.

i wonder what other types of steriotyps euros have about america

I know, I have some american friends, and I'm sure you don't have a gun in the drawer, but you have the right if you want.

Sorry if I offended you , I don't want to start a political argument, let's talk about LFS

BTW: I'm spanish, so I know something about stereotypes :inq:

Regards
Hehe, teams orders carried out overtly may not be allowed, but thats hardly the end of all team orders. Just the really tacky ones lacking subtlety.

Hey, I have a gun in the drawer!

Not really, just some hunting rifles and shotguns. Remember that not all Americans are against sensible gun control...
Some Americans believe that guns kill people. Some other Americans point out that actually it's people who kill people. Europeans tend to point out that in fact it's people who have access to guns that kill people.

I rent in the UK and pay a mortgage in the US. I can't pretend that I feel as safe in the US as the UK. I don't. I just get a better tan there.
Quote from Scawen :What is it with these words, where the capital letter is the second character?

rFactor
dEmporium
iRacing
iPod

Very confusing, the capital letter should be the first letter of the name!

hmmm looking at the logo ... lfS ... even more confusing
Quote from skiingman :Yeah, so I'm definitely NOT a NASCAR fan, but this is just wrong.

You need to do just that, except with 800bhp and a live rear axle and unsettling transitions from asphalt to concrete, all with 42 other cars nearby. Read: Bristol/Martinsville.

Fair enough, then I stand corrected, I wasnt aware there were oval tracks out there with hairpin bends and spoon curves.
Quote from Shotglass :hmmm looking at the logo ... lfS ... even more confusing

I think is the actual trend of "cool names", in late 90's the used "ciber" or "multimedia" to death, later they put an X in everyting, and now I think the trend goes to leet speech (is it speak or speech?) and strange capitalization.

Marketing sucks

Skiingman: ooops, I'll think twice the next time we're close racing
Quote from colcob :Well clearly, the guys at the top in NASCAR and oval racing generally are enormously skilled at the range of skills that oval racing requires, and we should respect that.

it's definitely a different skill set for oval v circuit racers- you can't say an oval driver is plain better than a circuit racer
take for example someone like 2003 IRL winner Scott Dixon, who performs better in circuit racing than oval racing compared to the other IRL drivers
I loved playing early Papy Nascars back in the 90's, trying to make the biggest crash ever. Good times, good times.
Quote from colcob :Fair enough, then I stand corrected, I wasnt aware there were oval tracks out there with hairpin bends and spoon curves.

Yeah, and like I said I'm not a NASCAR fan. The most interesting "left turn only" tracks are usually not the ones NASCAR is competing on. If you ask drivers or fans, they will tell you that the now ubiquitous 1.5 mile speedways get tired after the first few...

If you look down the ranks from NASCAR to more accessible forms of circle track racing in the US, you find some of the really interesting tracks (some have very little bank, some have huge banks with insane transitions, some are ridiculously small and more like a bullfight than a race, etc.)

The one thing I really do like about circle track racing is that it makes quality racecar components that are sized about right to be adaptable to road cars quite readily accessible and inexpensive.
What the hell... rFactor vs. LFS turns out to NASCAR vs. European tracks which turns out to US vs. Europe? illepall
Quote from deggis :What the hell... rFactor vs. LFS turns out to NASCAR vs. European tracks which turns out to US vs. Europe? illepall

There you go, that's the real inside problem!
Except GT4's canned physics are nothing on LFS (or rFactor); GT4 doesn't model damage (rather, the manufacturers won't let Polyphony model damage) or fuel or tyre use (they get hot - that's it); GT4 has no online content (afaik); no custom skins (no custom anything); no international leagues; hmm, what else...oh yeah, GT4's a console game .. but with suh-weet graphics! Just like Metal Gear. But yes, it does model real cars - although I really can't see why there needs to be fifty different models of Nissan Skyline ... what about a couple of Toranas mate?

.. but I like it anyway - it has the Ford GT40, the sexiest Le Mans prototype ever

BTW if you want to see what a real RUF Yellow Bird is capable of, google "RUF Nurburgring" and check around. It's worth it!
Uses models of cars which look a bit like the real life one they're meant to be, has handling (but not necessarily accurate handing) for all the cars, low resolution graphics that rely on TV anti-alaising and blurring to look okay (don't try on a TV bigger than 30", it looks awful).... need I go on. A few people actually believe it's a simulation, which makes me laugh.
Compared to NFS, GT4 is a simulation ...

TC, I just noticed your sig - do you think rF will refund you for your license?
Quote from Turbocharge :Gran Turismo 4
never mindin its on a cd played with xbox

Xbox? I thought you were a GT4 fan boy but I guess that's not the case.

Quote from Hankstar :GT4 doesn't model damage (rather, the manufacturers won't let Polyphony model damage)

Bad lie. They could get a FIA GT license or something and make a damage only to that series and part of the game. That way car manufacturers have nothing to say against damaging because the license deal is with FIA.

Second thing is that in GT4 you can't even flip over. Drive into the wall and nothing happens. This means there is no physics for that at all so you can't even have a "crash".
LFS:1 Rfactor:0
I've been playing LFS for several months and I am very impressed. I wanted to try Rfactor since I have heard some positive reviews. My following assessment of Rfactor will not be positive, you've been warned.

The first thing I noticed was the rather odd counter-steering in Rfactor. Despite many hours experimenting with different cars, setups, and controller settings, I was never able to control any but the most trivial of over-steer situations. I've driven silly in real cars on a closed "course" and know how counter-steering influences the rotation and direction of the car. Rfactor simply doesn't have it right, at least not as it plays on my system. Incidentally, I noticed the same thing in the GTR demo, as well as other MODs by Simbin. It's almost as though a spin is a scripted event and there is simply no stopping it regardless of what one does with the steering wheel. Loosing the back end beyond a certain point, sure, those cases are hopeless, but I am talking about easily correctable over-steer situations. In LFS on the other hand, I can control a slide with counter-steering and throttle adjustments just like in a real car.

Additionally, I've encountered nightmare stability problems with Rfactor. I've encountered video lock-ups where the audio keeps running, entire game lock-ups where the entire simulator freezes up, full system lock-ups which respond to ctrl-alt-del, full system lock-ups which do not respond to ctrl-alt-del, and even fatal errors resulting in the blue screen of death/reboot. These will occur while driving solo, in a full field, while navigating menus, and while selecting a track or a car. I've driven for 20 minutes without incident, and other times only 30 seconds until a game or system freeze. The overwhelming consensus on the Rfactor forum is that the problem is GPU overheating. Hmm, I don't think so. Here’s why...

The issue I have with the overheating explanation is that a video card, at least a properly designed one, is designed to be stable at 100% load. Its performance is determined by its processor and clock frequency. Unless it is over-clocked, there is no magical means by which a game will load the GPU beyond 100%; it simply will not perform any more calculations per second. When detail settings and resolution in a game require more GPU horsepower than the 100% a video card is capable of, it becomes evident in reduced frame rates. Overheating should not occur unless there is a cooling problem such as dust, high internal case temperatures, high ambient temperatures, inoperable fans, or a video card or driver design flaw. I have none of these conditions at the moment, and I'm sure many of you do not as well. Other games which will also load the GPU into oblivion (100%) should also induce the alleged overheating problem, but they do not. Additionally, navigating game menus, and selecting cars/tracks in Rfactor does not substantially load an Nvidia 6800GT or any other video card. Freezing, if not completely crashing the OS in a simple menu, can not possibly be a result of overheating.

I've tried Rfactor with less demanding video resolutions and detail settings. I've tried it using DX7, DX8, and DX9. I've also tried various sound configurations. The instability persisted and lock-ups would occur at seemingly random intervals regardless of CPU/GPU load. The instability, which is some of the worst I've ever seen in a game/simulator, including demos, along with the odd counter-steering physics, ultimately resulted in my refund request.

I think Rfactor is promising, but it's my opinion that it needs more work. Following my 10 hour fiasco of reading forums and experimenting with various Rfactor settings, I decided to drive for a while in Live For Speed. The difference is as night is to day. Counter steering actually works, steering in general feels much more precise, providing much better control over slides. In the several months I've been playing LFS it's been 100% stable. I feel somewhat guilty for even trying Rfactor and feel like I should send the guys at LFS some more money for my betrayal in buying Rfactor and installing it on the same PC. LOL.

I Hope this helps save some people from the issues I've encountered with Rfactor. I love LFS and it just keeps getting better. Bravo!
NFS underground 2 has not bad physics imo, i've beaten the game twice
I don't understand why you would like to type such a long thread specificly on R-factor on a LFS forum, look we don't have a fetish in this particular sim.

Rfactor vs LFS
(1872 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG