The online racing simulator
Quote from NightShift :These are just a few samples, but one counter example is all it takes to bring a theory down.

All of those threads were created over 2 years after the cars where released. 4 years in the case of the MRT5. What's your point? That I'm wrong is claiming LFS was still alive in 2007 and that it was actually dying earlier? That supports my "theory" btw.
*sigh* All I'm saying is that people are leaving LFS. Do you agree with that at least? And you missquoted me, I hope you are not a journalist.

Quote from McDee :I used to be able to race any car I felt like (except when they released a new car)

which you turned into:
Quote from NightShift :but to say you could always choose ANY car and find a full server, well, that's a big overstatement!

Which is a big overstatement that I never made. I started playing LFS a month after it was released so I may have some experience that you don't when it comes to LFS's past.

Then you turned this quote around;
Quote from McDee :Yeah, I'm talking about 2004-2007

A reference to the forums btw, since it followed your quote of;
Quote from NightShift : I've been a lurker for a long time don't be fooled by the silly amount of posts carrying my name these days.

I remember if I said something about test patches in the servers' chat, only a small minority was aware of them. Most never had an idea a new patch was going to be released, or what was going to be in it.

That of course was around mid '08, when there was not a delayed car to draw attention to LFS.

Quote from McDee :*sigh* All I'm saying is that people are leaving LFS. Do you agree with that at least?

Quote from NightShift :I'd agree with you on the general principle (i.e. the number of racers is falling)

I.e. it's probably easier to find a cruise server than to race the car you'd like
Quote from NightShift :I.e. it's probably easier to find a cruise server than to race the car you'd like

Agreed, and even though it may not sound like it, I really like LFS. While I miss the days of firing up LFS and seeing a new car, that was not what kept me coming back (I guess the fact I'm still here proves that? ;p). It was the way the cars handled and what you could do with them. I would trade new content for new racers anyday, but it just doesn't work like that. To get new racers (or even old LFS'ers who haven't been on in years) back we need a carrot. New content is usually that carrot.

Anyways I appologise if my posts seemed angry, I tend to get a little overzealous sometimes. Any LFS'er is alright in my book, I'd buy you a beer if you lived closer.
the feel from the cars attracted me..
Quote from McDee :Agreed, and even though it may not sound like it, I really like LFS. While I miss the days of firing up LFS and seeing a new car, that was not what kept me coming back (I guess the fact I'm still here proves that? ;p). It was the way the cars handled and what you could do with them. I would trade new content for new racers anyday, but it just doesn't work like that. To get new racers (or even old LFS'ers who haven't been on in years) back we need a carrot. New content is usually that carrot.

Anyways I appologise if my posts seemed angry, I tend to get a little overzealous sometimes. Any LFS'er is alright in my book, I'd buy you a beer if you lived closer.

Good post, I have been around LFS for a long time, I really miss the good old days of firing up LFS and seeing decently populated servers, always being able to find a race of some kind. Now its rare. Its all cruise, even drifting is dwindling away compared to say... a year ago. Hopefully the Scirocco will bring some people back. Also, I really hope there is more to this patch than just the Scirocco, although it is nice, its still some what dissapointing that in over a year all they could add for content was a single car.
Quote from McDee :I started playing LFS a month after it was released so I may have some experience that you don't when it comes to LFS's past.

Are you sure? Because this is wrong:

Quote from McDee :All of those threads were created over 2 years after the cars where released. 4 years in the case of the MRT5. What's your point? That I'm wrong is claiming LFS was still alive in 2007 and that it was actually dying earlier? That supports my "theory" btw.

It actually was 2 years (and 3 or 4 months) for the MRT and 3/4 years for the LXs.
I'm wondering what all these arguments that "people are leaving LFS" and "it's hard to find populated servers" are based on. If you look at Scawen's post and the attached image it shows that the number of racers/hosts hasn't really dwindled at all. Rather, it seems to have increased, albeit only slightly.

I am not trying to disprove anything here, I just find it odd that there are clearly a number of people who find it difficult to find a populated server, even though the number of servers/racers hasn't really decreased dramatically.

Personally I never use the server browser so I have no idea how hard it is to find racers, or how easy it - supposedly - was before. I race exclusively on a handful of well run teamservers of well known and respected teams, and I always have great racing there

By the way, this discussion belongs in this thread. This one is reserved for whiny posts about the Scirocco
Quote from zeugnimod :

Quote from McDee :I started playing LFS a month after it was released so I may have some experience that you don't when it comes to LFS's past.

Are you sure? Because this is wrong:

Quote from McDee :
All of those threads were created over 2 years after the cars where released. 4 years in the case of the MRT5. What's your point? That I'm wrong is claiming LFS was still alive in 2007 and that it was actually dying earlier? That supports my "theory" btw.

It actually was 2 years (and 3 or 4 months) for the MRT and 3/4 years for the LXs.

Ok, ya got me started on a mission now.

Most of this data is from : http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/About_LFS

- August 2003 I joined LFS forums
- 17.07.2003: Release of Live for Speed S1, the first full LFS release. I'll give you that 0.04 was released over a year before this, but it was not an official release, since it was leaked and it was basically a demo. So I joined a month after they started charging for it.
- 18.08.2002: 0.04k - The first public LFS version ever
- 15.12.2003: 0.3E - Adds a new car (MRT5)
As for the LX release dates, http://en.lfsmanual.net/index. ... le=Cars&oldid=1941#S1 says they were released with S1, soooo that puts us back to 17.07.2003 again.
Here's a site that was talking about the LX6 in S1 http://www.gamershell.com/news_7946.html
Here is a link to Blackhole Motorsports reviewing LFS S1 in 2003 and he mentions the LX's in it. http://www.bhmotorsports.com/review/LFS/2

Had enough yet?
Quote from obsolum :I'm wondering what all these arguments that "people are leaving LFS" and "it's hard to find populated servers" are based on. If you look at Scawen's post and the attached image it shows that the number of racers/hosts hasn't really dwindled at all. Rather, it seems to have increased, albeit only slightly.

I am not trying to disprove anything here, I just find it odd that there are clearly a number of people who find it difficult to find a populated server, even though the number of servers/racers hasn't really decreased dramatically.

Well, the number of racers has increased slightly... There are currently at peak times around 900 licensed racers online...

The problem is that there are also 893 servers online at any given point in time...

That is almost a server per person. There are plenty of racers on here, but they're scattered across too many servers. And that is why a lot of people can't find a decent server. Those that have more than say 3 racers are completely full, and the rest has 1 or 2 people racing.
There were less cars so people were more squeezed amongs them. Now there more cars, so less people on each of them(of course drift and cruise servers also appeared).
LOL, i think, when the patch with Scirocco will come and people try it, they will say "Oooh, that car is rubbish, its slow, i can't drift with it, blah blah blah..."
scirocco taking way too long
Developers of LFS,

stop f**king sleeping!!!! omfg :jawdrop:

:bananalla:hide:
Best..comment..ever.
-
(Dj-Aeri) DELETED by Dj-Aeri
Quote from Dj-Aeri :I can't understand, comparing with the development speed of LFS in the past, how is the scirocco add-on taking so long.

Personally, I prefer that the devs work in the progress of LFS than waste their time in a boring car like this...

I miss the progress reports that Scawen give to us in the past

What a funny post. So in your opinion, making a new car is not LFS progress?
-
Quote from Dj-Aeri : with all the work to be done? Are you serious?

What work? I don't see any to-do list.
It's devs' work and the will do what they want. They probably received an offer to have a next real car in LFS, so they accepted it and they are working on it. I think that every new feature in LFS is a progress further.
-
I think alot of work done to make the Scirocco work will be utilised in other aspects of the sim. New suspension systems and other improvements will help other things.

- for example -
5 of the road cars, except for XFG got (as a setup option) ABS becase the Scirocco required it.

This next patch is not just about the Scirocco either. Many other improvements are coming.

I think many new people are expecting LFS S3 Final by 2010 as well. Game is not finished.
Quote from Dj-Aeri :You are new here, no?

Look at my reg date.

So what is to-do? I know olny about improving collision pyhisics, better wing damage, Westhill update and interiors.
-
I was forgot this car....
Quote from Dj-Aeri :Yeah... That's done in two weeks of work.

Umm, well the collision physics alone could be a seriously big deal, depending on how things are coded right now. (Has any dev commented on this previously?)
Quote from McDee :Had enough yet?

Ok, I thought the MRT was released in December 2004. But I was right about the LXs.
Quote from obsolum :I'm wondering what all these arguments that "people are leaving LFS" and "it's hard to find populated servers" are based on.

The arguments are really about the amount of people on public racing servers. When you discount cruising, drifting, destruction derby-ing, and racers on private servers, the total number of public racers is nothing to write home about.

BTW what I'm thinking is I ought to have made it in half the forum members' ignore or hate lists already, otherwise it shouldn't be so hard to get the point across
Well maybe in 2 months Eric had time to finish something in time for the next patch...
Or maybe (probably) I'm saying crap
(I confess it is getting boring to wait but I know it isn't the devs fault )
This thread is closed

[MERGED] Scirocco enquiry threads
(2369 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG