The online racing simulator
Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8883 posts, started )
I'm using a laptop which produces a solid 60 FPS (Vsync) all across the 0.6.2 track so its more about settings then throwing hardware at it. 4xAA, 1xFAAA, shadows on low and no HDR is enough to give a satisfying graphical experience @Full HD. In my opinion.
I will not sacrifice HDR, it's just that much better imo. I'm hoping it's just the matter of no official mod tools, snoopy doesn't even test the track before releasing it..
Probably the official Nords would be much more optimised and so will the tracks with official mod tools..
Not in the mood of complete PC upgrade, too soon..
So I did some very (very) scientific input lag testing. Reading the forums people were suggesting either limiting the fps to 60 or 61 or using vsync. Other suggestion was to try to get above 120 or 200fps. My very very scientific method was to do burnouts with the ferrari 312. Less lag = less spins.

I did not notice any difference between 60fps or any other limits on or off. I tried 60fps with my current settings (I get at least 89fps in traffic (24 gt3 cars in imola on starting grid) and when driving alone I over 100fps easily). Felt no difference at all. Tried that with adding more graphics candy to bring the technically achievable upper fps limit closer to the 60fps limit. Felt no difference with the limit on. I was spinning out with full throttle launches.

Then I turned all graphics off and felt no difference with the limit on. Tried 60fps limit, then 61, then 72, then 133 and then 193. No difference. Then I turned the fps limit off. Felt maybe very little change with everything at lowest setting except aa and af both at 2. I get 229 with aa2 and af8 and 260 with aa2 and af2. If blindfolded I could not tell a difference between all those settings I tried. Well obviously not blindfolded, but you get my point. You may not see it or feel it but it is there because...

The strange is that despite me not feeling almost no differences at all I could control the burnout launches much easier when I was getting very high fps, like 260fps+. I could pretty reliably get full throttle launches (redlinining at 100% throttle and dropping it in 1st gear) and keep it under control. With either fps limited to any number or unlimited but lower fps it was practically impossible to get full throttle launches without spinning. I could literally not get one single launch without spinning.. Except when I was getting really high fps then it all became easy to get the launches without spinning. Same track, same car, same part of the track obviously.

When driving I felt no real difference, ffb was the same, car felt the same, lag felt the same but I could control the car better at high fps. The only difference I could really feel was the transitions from oversteer to neutral. When the rear starts to bite when coming out from powerslide or oversteer it was easier to control it.

Conclusion: Felt small difference and could control the car best with 260fps... Other settings had no effect. I'll try the vsync on next and I'd be really really surprised if with vsync I get best results...

The game doesn't even look that bad with everything off except some aa and af...
Quote from Boris Lozac :I will not sacrifice HDR, it's just that much better imo.

I get "blinded" on some parts of the track when HDR is on.. No visible road surface anymore just white (also with default tracks). I've heard others reporting this phenomenon too.

For some reason my video settings change by itself in between updates, 0xFSAA and HDR is switched back to on. After that I indeed experienced FPS drops so I am afraid it has something to do with HDR.
Quote from cargame.nl :Yep I don't need or want to share my contacts with people I don't know at all. Nothing to do with paranoia, just being careful. Things you share cannot be unshared.

Why would you care about people being able to see who is on your steam contacts list?
Quote from ACCAkut :setting FFB strength to 107% instead of 101% in the profiler did surprisingly much regarding driving feel. Why's that?

btw, blisters here I come

You need some LFS SimSocks...oh wait....a normal pair will do

Fordie
Quote from cargame.nl :I have exactly the same thoughts, in the future it might be the best if you ignore my posts, thanks for your cooperation.

Wouldn't the best way for me to ignore your posts is to simply not make them at all? That way the NSA can't track you and read your mind!
Quote from dawesdust_12 :Wouldn't the best way for me to ignore your posts is to simply not make them at all? That way the NSA can't track you and read your mind!

Dawes leave it for the play ground mate....Its his opinion so let it be...Move on

Fordie
Quote from Fordman :Dawes leave it for the play ground mate....Its his opinion so let it be...Move on

Fordie

Except being senselessly paranoid isn't an opinion, it's insanity.

We all get tracked somehow. By using the internet there's inherently a trail created. By even having a job there's a trail of information with employment records and payment. So unless you're actually doing illegal jobs, and being paid in clean unmarked bills, you're being tracked in every facet of life.

The caveat being is that none of us are that interesting for the gathered data to be actually investigated on.

That said, I guess I should expect insanity from cargame considering how bipolar he is towards LFS. He slags it off at every chance he gets, but then proceeds to continue to run servers and be a member of the community.
Nords 0.7.0 :woohoo: runs smoother then 0.5.0, how is this possible? nobody knows, even Snoopy

-fixed white edges of trees
-added slight bumpiness to the whole track. Feedback welcome.
-bumpier carousels
-improved pit area
-texture and mesh fixes
-added skidmarks (still placeholders, a more sophisticated driving line texture planned)
-added more trackside objects
-changed road textures
-rails mesh fixes
Quote from Hotdogxx60 :Still doesn't help me, I still can't join my own server.
I keep getting requesting car list timed out.

With this problem can anyone decipher what the problem is with this message that comes up in the server DOS box while I'm trying to enter the track.

No car with address 192.168.0.125:64157 packet ID63.
I used to have that same issue with LFS. I had to join with localhost instead of externally. AC I don't think has that ability yet.
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I used to have that same issue with LFS. I had to join with localhost instead of externally. AC I don't think has that ability yet.

I might have to sit on this one until they do a major update to the server.

It's just about done my head in, I've tried that many different settings through my router and firewall.

I even stuffed my network up and had to rebuild everything because I clicked on something in a hope it would work and then I couldn't log back into my router. lol
Quote from Hyperactive : I'll try the vsync on next and I'd be really really surprised if with vsync I get best results....

Don't.. I thought snoopy lost his mind and completely killed the track surface with 0.7.0 cause i felt nothing and i couldn't control the slides at all. Then i realised i played with the settings last night and left the in-game Vsync On. Horrible..
I play with Vsync on believe it or not AC is the only game where I use it
No problems in sliding department
Boris do you drive with virtual steering wheel on?
Yes, wheel is on.. I don't know man, i could be imagining things. Everything looks so smooh with Vsync, no screen tearing and other stuff, but i felt everything is really really delayed when it comes to driving and reactions..
Just limit FPS to like 5 FPS below the used Hz of monitor. Give it a try again, should work.
I keep it at 59fps locked, but it's completely different matter when i lock it with Vsync.
I meant, turn the VSync on with 60hz and limit FPS to 55.

Kunos Simulazioni - Assetto Corsa
(8883 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG