The online racing simulator
Good on him for not giving a toss about "legacy" and having the balls to be out there again. He's not ridiculously slow compared with Rosberg, who seems pretty good tbh so quite a hard act to follow. A few poor decisions and mechanical issues have turned average and acceptable into rubbish, but I still think he's good enough to put a few good races together this year.
Quote from sinbad :Good on him for not giving a toss about "legacy" and having the balls to be out there again.

Quote from sinbad :Good on him for not giving a toss about "legacy" and having the balls to be out there again. He's not ridiculously slow compared with Rosberg, who seems pretty good tbh so quite a hard act to follow. A few poor decisions and mechanical issues have turned average and acceptable into rubbish, but I still think he's good enough to put a few good races together this year.

+1

I think many on here misunderstand the mentality of racers like Schumacher. There are some freaks in the world who are obsessed by new challenges, and new goals. They reach one, they find another regardless of legacy. Legacy is for stat geeks. If Schumacher was worried about reputation he wouldn't continually go karting where he gets beaten on a more than regular basis, though in the last issue of F1 racing he pronounced how proud he was to finish 4th behind Bas Lammers

At 44 or whatever Schumacher is still racing in f1, and doing a reasonable job. A few bits here and there and he could easily win a race. That viewed on its own is an astonishing achievement of someone of his vintage.

Most classes in motorsport have veteran classes and +40 classes because the old guys can't keep up anymore ffs. Schumacher is STILL IN F1.
and Blueflame Hakkainen was past it in 2001, he would of probably been sacked if he didn't retire.

He is well into his 40s and he is still F1 material that alone says he is a freak of nature, not many people are still competitive before they get to 40.
Quote from Mustafur :and Blueflame Hakkainen was past it in 2001, he would of probably been sacked if he didn't retire.

He is well into his 40s and he is still F1 material that alone says he is a freak of nature, not many people are still competitive before they get to 40.

Häkkinen was still winning races in 2001.
Quote from BlueFlame :Häkkinen was still winning races in 2001.

Hakkinen was 33 in 2001, had a car that was regularly capable of winning races, and got his arse handed to him by his team-mate, David Coulthard. I'd disagree with Mustafur that he was "past it". That's a bit harsh. But he was hardly doing better than Schumacher.

This year, Schumacher had 3 DNFs through no fault of his own, and one of the races he finished was ruined by a broken DRS and a grid-penalty for changing his gearbox. Still managed two P10 finishes. Rosberg had one P13 and one P5 in those two races. The comparative results are far from damning.
Bit of an off topic question...

What are your thoughts on the old points systems where the drivers would get to drop their 3-4 worst races?
Quote from Rappa Z :Bit of an off topic question...

What are your thoughts on the old points systems where the drivers would get to drop their 3-4 worst races?

You mean old points circa 1980?
Yes, do you think it's better or worse than what they use now?
#535 - CSF
The points system used before 91 was a bit silly. Everything should count, and any system that counts all races is good for everyone.
Those were the days of high unreliability. It's designed to rule out any weird occurrences that might affect the overall championship. now the championship is a tight ship and the cars are uber reliable it's not needed any more.
Quote from samjh :This year, Schumacher had 3 DNFs through no fault of his own

Are you counting him running over Senna as being "no fault of his own"?
Elevation change looks good but the track looks crap.
Looks like standard modern F1 circuit formula to me.

Tight turn one, some fast corners, long straights leading to big stops and wide entries to tight radius slow corners ("for overtaking").

Nothing worse than the others, really.
Other than that Z shaped zigzag after the long straight it looked very nice imho. Going uphill into T1 reminds me a lot about österreichring which is not bad.
I think the V8SCs will put on a pretty good show there, too.
tight turns and long straights, only places modern F1 pass anyway...
Perfect for DRS
It reminds me a lot of Istambul overall.

Uphill T1 is a lot like A1/Red Bull Ring as Hyperactive said.

"Stadium" section(1:20) is a lot like Hockenheim's final sector. It hurts the flow of the track and isn't very necessary, but I get it, they gotta park the fans somewhere.
The maggots/becketts clone is horrible.
Call me weird as I even think its weird saying this, but the track is lacking any American feeling to it. When you watch Indy or NASCAR, you know the track is in the US but this looks like it could be in Germany or the UK etc.

But maybe because we are watching a video game

Either way, a track is just another way to drive around, there shouldn't be any feelings for a track. I just don't like how they tried to emulate corners for spectacle when they should have made a unique American spectacle to return to and look forward to every year.
From Rhygin
F1 this year so far is a big disappointment. The Pirellis are the show, I dont watch F1 to see the tires determine the winner, that should be done by the drivers. When did drivers become baby sitters for rubber? I know that is not real rubber guys.

While I am ranting, let me add that McLaren sucks, they have a big budget and are unable to field a consistently fast car. They have quick drivers that are looking bad because the team is not working at F1 standards.

Perhaps they should drink some Red Bull.

R
Quote from Rhygin :F1 this year so far is a big disappointment. The Pirellis are the show, I dont watch F1 to see the tires determine the winner, that should be done by the drivers. When did drivers become baby sitters for rubber? I know that is not real rubber guys.

Since forever, with a small exception between circa 1995 and 2010. The drivers are still determining the winner though - the driver that can get the balance of the car right, the setup compromises right and drive fast enough but kind enough on the tyres will do well.

Quote from Rhygin :While I am ranting, let me add that McLaren sucks, they have a big budget and are unable to field a consistently fast car. They have quick drivers that are looking bad because the team is not working at F1 standards.

Or maybe the standards required to be consistent are so incredibly high these days that occasionally something gives. Nobody has been able to provide a consistently fast car yet this season, with the exception of Ferlonso.

Quote from Rhygin :Perhaps they should drink some Red Bull.

I doubt the majority of the Red Bull team drink that stuff. I doubt anyone in the company drinks that stuff. Who would, through choice?
Quote from Rhygin :F1 this year so far is a big disappointment. The Pirellis are the show, I dont watch F1 to see the tires determine the winner, that should be done by the drivers. When did drivers become baby sitters for rubber? I know that is not real rubber guys.

R

So you would like to go back to when nobody could pass nobody because of the dirty air and everyone was just waiting for incidents instead?

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG