The online racing simulator
Quote from CSF :So now you change tact when you've been proved wrong. Good call, moron. Good day to you to.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. You're probably just crying because Schumacher has finally left the sport as a driver so I'll ignore your insults for the time being.
I don't see me crying, I see me pointing out how wrong you are, and as per usual you can't handle it.
Quote from CSF :I don't see me crying, I see me pointing out how wrong you are, and as per usual you can't handle it.

And elaborate, what have I said that was WRONG?
Quote from BlueFlame :To a point yes. Hamilton and Button would of ended up retiring from this kind of incident, as would any other driver. Somehow, Vettel can drag races from the shit of all shits.

Mon now kiddo.
Quote from CSF :Mon now kiddo.

Alonso still ended up paying for his mistake in Belgium '10. Vettel never pays for his mistakes, his mistakes seem to actually be good fortune in the grander scheme, definitely so in Abu Dhabi.

Certainly it's pretty irrelevent to say in this situation X driver wouldn't have had blah blah blah happen to them or the reverse but the evidence is there to suggest Vettel has had the most luck out of well, any F1 driver. Ever.
Quote from BlueFlame :Vettel never pays for his mistakes, his mistakes seem to actually be good fortune in the grander scheme, definitely so in Abu Dhabi.

Making a mistake and running off track during the first lap of the Turkish race in 2009 wasn't good fortune for him. He lost the lead to Button and ended up finishing 3rd in that race. That didn't necessarily cost him the 2009 championship, but it certainly cost him overall. He's made other mistakes that he's certainly paid for too (e.g. Canada & Spa 2010, which didn't end up costing him the championship but they could have).

edit: Added Canada 2010.
There's no such thing as luck.
Vettel is atm the best driver out there, deal with it
Quote from Storm_Cloud :There's no such thing as luck.

Sure there is. Not as some kind of supernatural phenomenon, but in this context 'Lucky' is just a shorthand way of saying "an external event or outcome that had a low probability of occurring has benefited this person".
Quote from DarknessPainF1 :Vettel is atm the best driver out there, deal with it

He was so good he only beat Alonso by three points in a far superior car.
I'd say that there is definitely luck in F1. Having the presence of multiple non-championship contending drivers means that there is inherently luck involved in the sport. Like Mythdat said, luck isn't something supernatural, luck is more like when the actions of non-championship contending drivers influence the outcome of the championship.

Yesterday, honestly, Vettel had some pretty shit luck. Not the worst of luck (That would've been if Senna snapped Vettel's suspension), but it's still some really shit luck.
Quote from mythdat :Sure there is. Not as some kind of supernatural phenomenon, but in this context 'Lucky' is just a shorthand way of saying "an external event or outcome that had a low probability of occurring has benefited this person".

If two cars had collided in exactly the same way under exactly the same conditions then exactly the same result would have occurred, regardless of the person involved - 100% probability. What happened could not have happened any other way - if events had occurred differently then you would see a different result.
Quote from Intrepid :He was so good he only beat Alonso by three points in a far superior car.

You use that same argument with the McLaren team too.
Quote from Intrepid :He was so good he only beat Alonso by three points in a far superior car.

This years RedBull was nowhere near superior! McLaren had possibly the best car of all but Vettel was able to take the champ. He had some luck but some unluck aswell (Valencia for example which was a pure lucky victory for Alonso)

And where is Webber in that equasion?
For me Hamilton was driver of the season hands down, a couple of stupid things at the start of the season but he improved a lot with his attitude on track after that which impressed me a lot. Such a shame he is moving to a car that wont be fighting for poles and wins next season.
Quote from Stig209 :This years RedBull was nowhere near superior! McLaren had possibly the best car of all but Vettel was able to take the champ. He had some luck but some unluck aswell (Valencia for example which was a pure lucky victory for Alonso)

The Redbull dominated several races, never was massively off the pace at any point, and got to the end of most of the races. While Hamilton in the McLaren over the season was probably the fastest package, the bleedin' thing had a habit of breaking down or failing. In retrospect I think there isn't a driver on the grid who would pick the McLaren over the RedBull once you factor in reliability (and reliability is a factor in assessing car performance and superiority). And anyway that reference was with regard to the RBR's performance against the Ferrari and I don't think any sane driver would rather have that Ferrari over the RBR.

Regarding Webber Boris. I don't regard Webber as a first class driver so he doesn't factor into any equation.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :If two cars had collided in exactly the same way under exactly the same conditions then exactly the same result would have occurred, regardless of the person involved - 100% probability. What happened could not have happened any other way - if events had occurred differently then you would see a different result.

Technically there would be a slightly different outcome because of the difference in weight and weight distribution of the two drivers

But yeah, there's no such thing as one driver being inherently more lucky and being able to bend the laws of probability and physics to get a substantially different outcome in one specific event that they have no control over. If you could pause a split second before the contact with Vettel's right-rear and take Vettel out and put someone else in there then the outcome would be exactly the same. But that doesn't change the fact that coming out of that with no suspension damage is a very low probability outcome and hence "lucky", as the word is used here. If Alonso, Hamilton, the guy lives next door to me, whoever was in that car, they'd also be lucky in that event.

It is possible, though, for one person to get a chain of favourable outcomes at an extremely low probability. Probability will always converge with time, but a race or a season or even a career isn't nearly long enough to guarantee that.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :If two cars had collided in exactly the same way under exactly the same conditions then exactly the same result would have occurred, regardless of the person involved - 100% probability. What happened could not have happened any other way - if events had occurred differently then you would see a different result.

That's absurd. You could replay the same crash a few times in reality and it would play out differently. Nobody can say that something would happen exactly the same regardless if it happened again but you can DEFINITELY say it would be different the second time.
Quote from BlueFlame :That's absurd. You could replay the same crash a few times in reality and it would play out differently. Nobody can say that something would happen exactly the same regardless if it happened again but you can DEFINITELY say it would be different the second time.

The only reason it would happen differently is if the drivers took different actions to make it different. If you had a rewind function for the universe and replayed it with the drivers taking exactly the same actions then the result will be 100% the same every single time.
Quote from mythdat :The only reason it would happen differently is if the drivers took different actions to make it different.

Butterfly effect says otherwise.
Quote from JJ72 :Butterfly effect says otherwise.

Nope, the whole point of the butterfly effect is that small changes can have larger consequences. The point here is that there are no changes at all.
Quote from mythdat :Nope, the whole point of the butterfly effect is that small changes can have larger consequences. The point here is that there are no changes at all.

of course there are changes, the way the tire surface deforms, the moving debris on the surface, the aerodynamics of the car, there are a million changes.
Quote from BlueFlame :Alonso still ended up paying for his mistake in Belgium '10. Vettel never pays for his mistakes, his mistakes seem to actually be good fortune in the grander scheme, definitely so in Abu Dhabi.

I'm just not really getting your point of view in this.

You seem to be claiming that Vettel driving away from that accident is lucky.
Sure, but you're forgetting the fact that he actually had an accident, which was pretty unlucky.

I'm pretty sure, that if Alonso was in the same position you'd call Alonso unlucky for having the accident in the first place.

Your views are slightly distorted, and I think that Vettel showed enough yesterday to deserve the WDC.

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG