The online racing simulator
Quote from amp88 :
. Do you really think they are looking at the rear end of a mclaren sliding a few times on a cold first winter test and trying to divine great meaning from it?

qft!
There are definitely things you can learn from winter testing as a spectator. Even if it is really difficult to foresee how fast the teams are there are ways to get an idea at the very least. Some things are easy to see. If caterham stays 2nd last in every test session then it is safe to say they are not moving up this year.

Some things are a lot harder to see and require some work being put into reading the times instead of just reading articles about someone elese's speculations. There are still tons of variables though. Some use kers and drs more than others which alone makes any small differences impossible to see. Even tire selection is not just about what compounds they are using but also about if the set that goes onto the car is new or used. Fuel loads being huge differentiator too just like the level of downforce. It's not jerez optimised aero setup they are running all the time I'd imagine.

It's not impossible but very difficult. Like Intrepid said there were few things that the journos got correct last year about mclaren and rbr. But there are also lots of wrong predictions each year that get forgotten only to have people say afterwards they got something right while not mentioning that most of the stuff they said was wrong. When you guess enough you eventually get few things right.
Venezuelans don't pay VAT.
Quote from Lewis Hamilton on MP4-27 :“This year’s car feels a bit different from last year’s: in 2011, we had so much stability from the rear end, particularly in the high-speed corners (due to the exhaust-blown diffuser, which is now banned) – but we’re now having to find that grip elsewhere or, at least, take grip off the front and somehow offload it at the rear.

Most observers put McLaren and RBR very close though. No one else seems to be mentioning Macca having rear end issues though. It does seem common in the vids
Quote from Intrepid :

Most observers put McLaren and RBR very close though. No one else seems to be mentioning Macca having rear end issues though. It does seem common in the vids

Oh god Intrepid, give it up. Hamilton is talking in context to not having the blown diffuser, not the McLaren itself.

they just show us how ugly F1 can be. :P
will be nice to see the noses again after say final testing, to see who thinks who has it done the sweetest.
I think McLaren will still have the prettiest car, or at least the prettiest nose.

The second test should be much more interesting than the first. Reliability issues should be mostly ironed out, Mercedes will debut their 2012 contender, and the teams will be able to apply lessons learned during the first test to improve their cars and driving styles.

General rumour-mongering indicates that Red Bull and McLaren have the best-behaved cars, while Ferrari suffers from too much understeer, and Lotus is generally solid albeit with poor stability under braking.
2011 Fia GALA Clip anyone? I want it.
Quote from rockclan :2011 Fia GALA Clip anyone? I want it.

Strange how it isn't uploaded to anywhere...
Was there even gala video this year?
Quote from GianniC :Oh I love that sound! Hope it looks as good as it sounds, and is as fast as it sounds.

Well you're going to be in for a suprise. Every F1 cars nearly sounds the same.
Lego ftw!
Trulli out, Petrov in!

Good news? maybe!
No Italian drivers in F1 this year
Quote from rockclan :Trulli out, Petrov in!

Good news? maybe!

Good news for me, I've never been a fan of Trulli, and Petrov has grown on me.

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG