The online racing simulator
People with limited or no binocular depth perception cues still have depth perception. Things still get bigger and smaller as distance from them changes, things close to you appear to move more quickly than things far away. There are lots of other ways to judge distance to objects, several of which you use when you're watching tv or playing a video game on a 2d display.
Binocular depth perception only really works well over relatively short distances.
The only immediate problem I could foresee would be the fact only her left eye would be functioning, so she'd have to rotate her head quite a sufficient amount to look in a left hand wing mirror or such because of the helmet shrouding inside of the unit itself.
I'm guessing peripheral vision will a large issue - especially in racing.
Quote from b1kzit :I'm guessing peripheral vision will a large issue - especially in racing.

In a single seater, I think this will be limited more by the car itself.
Quote from Joris :In a single seater, I think this will be limited more by the car itself.

You would be surprised - peripheral vision is an integral part of any drivers' skill set regardless of the car. Even in single seater's you see a certain amount out of the corners of your eyes.
I hope she fights back, such a freak and sad accident.
Quote from sinbad :
I don't think it's as vital as you make out, but probably it is something that takes time to get used to.

Paul Drayson competed in Le Mans with sight in only one eye. But he was born that way, so perhaps his functioning eye was better than most.

Binocular vision is important, but probably not critical, to racing.
Quote from samjh :Paul Drayson competed in Le Mans with sight in only one eye. But he was born that way, so perhaps his functioning eye was better than most.

Binocular vision is important, but probably not critical, to racing.

One must have to wait how she can adapt to the new vision and how she can deal with the situation. I mean it is a heavy cut into your life if you loose a part of your body especially when it means that your senses are influenced by it.
#634 - CSF
So Webber stays at Red Bull, and Michael will stay at Mercedes (according to James Allen) so... where will Lewis go? McLaren I guess might be the best bet, but rumours suggest Lotus could pair him with Kimi. Surely Romain would go to McLaren, and McLaren would get a great driver for a fraction of the cost? Hmmm, be careful Lewis, be careful.
Going from mclaren to lotus is a downgrade in just about every way. Why would lewis want to leave mclaren anyways? Apart from redbull no one has been able to design dominating cars. So unless lewis goes to redbull everything else is just downgrade or little below what he has at mclaren at best. Apart from ferrari of course...

Merc is future championship car. They have constantly improved and next year or the year after that I'd be surprised if they weren't right there with other top teams. I don't think they will win any DWCs with schumacher though. Apparently the deal with merc and schumi is that schumi can basically decide all by himself if he wants to continue (that was said during finnish f1 broadcast so it could be wrong).

I'd be surprised if Massa continues with ferrari. He is driving like kovalainen was at mclaren. Constantly lacking in race pace and little behind in qualifying. Maybe massa needs to go to caterham for next season to find himself again? Heikki at least needs to get out from caterham. That car is not going anywhere.
Quote from TFalke55 :One must have to wait how she can adapt to the new vision and how she can deal with the situation. I mean it is a heavy cut into your life if you loose a part of your body especially when it means that your senses are influenced by it.

What most people seem to be ignoring is the fact she never showed any signs of being good enough to race in F1 having both eyes, let alone missing one!
Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :Hekki wasn't that bad was he?

Didn't he win a race or two? I remember him being on pole by almost half a second one race.

I thought the only reason he didn't stay another year was because Jenson moved to McLaren and Hekki had nowhere to go.

I'd really like to see him with a top team again.

nah he had his ass handed to him at Mclaren, he was definetly treated as a second driver though.
IIRC his one win was in Hungary, when Massa was leading and his engine blew with less than 5 laps to go.
Quote from Hyperactive :

I'd be surprised if Massa continues with ferrari. He is driving like kovalainen was at mclaren. Constantly lacking in race pace and little behind in qualifying. Maybe massa needs to go to caterham for next season to find himself again? Heikki at least needs to get out from caterham. That car is not going anywhere.

Massa was right there on the pace at Silverstone. He drove a really good race. He is a bit behind in qualy, but he defo has raised his race pace, by a lot these last couple of races.

But like You said, unlikely he will stay with Ferrari next year.
Quote from Hyperactive :Going from mclaren to lotus is a downgrade in just about every way. Why would lewis want to leave mclaren anyways? Apart from redbull no one has been able to design dominating cars. So unless lewis goes to redbull everything else is just downgrade or little below what he has at mclaren at best. Apart from ferrari of course...

Merc is future championship car. They have constantly improved and next year or the year after that I'd be surprised if they weren't right there with other top teams. I don't think they will win any DWCs with schumacher though. Apparently the deal with merc and schumi is that schumi can basically decide all by himself if he wants to continue (that was said during finnish f1 broadcast so it could be wrong).

Im not sure on your theory on Lotus, Genji Capital the company supplying finances is rich enough to stay in touch with the top teams, and apart from the diffuser failure of last year which hampered development they have looked to be worthy of the top teams, the car is definitely title contention material this year, just bad luck is getting in the way of the right results.

However it would still be a big leap of faith for Hamilton to go to Lotus, however I think if he moves team he will be a much better driver, he seems to have gone stale at Mclaren.
Quoting someone I know, on RBR's front wing flexing:

Quote :In simple terms they design it to have hollow box sections either side of the pillars. These allow the whole wing to flex considerably, like up to 50mm! However they fill these hollow sections with a low melt alloy. This is heavy stuff but has a melting temp of around 70-80C. They run tubes through this alloy that are pumped with oil from the engine. So, when the car is running and the oil going through the LMA is hot it melts the alloy allowing the wing to flex. Then when the car stops again at parc ferme the alloy solidifies and keeps the wing stiff for scrutineering. Clever but arguably against the sporting code of the sport.

Didn't give his source, sounds interesting and within the plausibility of the brain of Adrian Newey
I swear as soon as Red Bull shows some pace, everyone crawls out and start going on about that FW again.
It's a distraction.
Quote from J@tko :Quoting someone I know, on RBR's front wing flexing:

Didn't give his source, sounds interesting and within the plausibility of the brain of Adrian Newey

I'm not saying this is false, of course, but let's play a game of "find the oil rails" on the front section of the chassis from this image taken on the Friday of the British GP.

edit: Compare with Force India and Sauber (I think).
Quote from J@tko :Quoting someone I know, on RBR's front wing flexing:

I don't see how a nose change should work then, as you'd be opening the oil system. Or did I misread that?
Quote from amp88 :I'm not saying this is false, of course, but let's play a game of "find the oil rails" on the front section of the chassis from this image taken on the Friday of the British GP.

Quote from three_jump :I don't see how a nose change should work then, as you'd be opening the oil system. Or did I misread that?

Yep agree with that, unless there's a secret heat exchanger somewhere in there? Good idea though.
Sounds pretty far fetched to me and quite vulnerable for being exposed in a crash.

If it does flex in a way that it does not in the FIA test then I guess it's made in a way that it only flexes when there is a considerable force pushing it backwards.
-The FIA test is by weight
-The bending is under severe drag.
The best to do it would be to have some kind of electricity to heat the metal bars inside the front wing on the start line. This would make the wing drop down to the optimal level and be there for the whole race. Then after the race on the cool down lap the driver presses a button and a similar system hidden inside the car would turn on and would start heating up another metal bar inside the front wing. This added with a spring (o gas expansion) would "pull" the wing back up.

Really simple, light weight and totally within the spirit of the rules!
Quote from amp88 :I'm not saying this is false, of course, but let's play a game of "find the oil rails" on the front section of the chassis from this image taken on the Friday of the British GP.

Second one is Force India too. It's the same setup and you can see the orange nose exterior on the very left of the picture.
Quote from RiseAgainstMe! :Second one is Force India too. It's the same setup and you can see the orange nose exterior on the very left of the picture.

D'oh, I should have spotted that, but thanks for pointing it out. I was in a bit of a rush when I was posting.

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG