The online racing simulator
Quote from Intrepid :I want to sit in a room with you guys as you watch F1 because I want to witness someone getting excited by this mess they call 'racing'.

Personally I don't get 'excited' by a DRS overtake as I never got excited by someone getting in the tow of another car and passing on a straight anyway.

Do you really have a point or not?
Well, I do think DRS isn't really needed in the current F1 situation, the tyres plus kers is well enough to get us exciting racing. It will make passing a tiny bit harder again (probably) but I doubt we'd see any less action because of it. I rather want to see drivers taking 3 or 4 attempts until they get past instead of them waiting until they get to the DRS zone.
I would personally throw away the Pirellis. It's nonsense you can't drive the car on the limit, in a few years my grandma could drive these F1 cars...
Quote from Töki (HUN) :I would personally throw away the Pirellis. It's nonsense you can't drive the car on the limit, in a few years my grandma could drive these F1 cars...

Do you not understand that they are driving on the limit ALL the time? The limit of the tyres? Tyre management is important. In the old days tyres played more into overtakes than driver skill. That's what made it exciting.
Quote from BlueFlame :The limit of the tyres?

That's the problem. I find it hilarious that tyres last 10 laps, that's it.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :That's the problem. I find it hilarious that tyres last 10 laps, that's it.

Personally, I implore it. More pitstops means more pitstop mistakes, and more mistakes means more fluxuating gaps between cars.
Quote from BlueFlame :Do you not understand that they are driving on the limit ALL the time? The limit of the tyres? Tyre management is important. In the old days tyres played more into overtakes than driver skill. That's what made it exciting.

At least some drivers had the option to push, not push, somewhere in between. Now we have one-size-fits-all and it's shite.
We could watch kiddies in frames with lawnmower engines at 10mph instead.
In the 80s the classic strategic choice was to pit or not to pit and it's not really comparable with today's racing, which is getting to the pit window without ruining your tyres.

F1 through history has often been a formula when compromise on speed is required. That could mean not going balls out in order to stay alive, to keep the car reliable, to save fuel or to save tyres.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :In the 80s the classic strategic choice was to pit or not to pit and it's not really comparable with today's racing, which is getting to the pit window without ruining your tyres.

F1 through history has often been a formula when compromise on speed is required. That could mean not going balls out in order to stay alive, to keep the car reliable, to save fuel or to save tyres.

At least you had the choice to go balls out. Today it's 3 stops vs 2 stops and even 3 stops you can't go balls out.

Hungary 1998 anyone remember this race? That's a proper 3 vs 2 stopper, although it was dictated by the fuel back then. But that's what I miss. That's absolute balls out drive from Schumi and that's why I love the man and that's what he was probably thinking of when he said Pirelli is going too far with softening the tires.
Quote from tristancliffe :We could watch kiddies in frames with lawnmower engines at 10mph instead.

...looks like Schumacher didn't get the memo.
Quote from N I K I : That's absolute balls out drive from Schumi and that's why I love the man and that's what he was probably thinking of when he said Pirelli is going too far with softening the tires.

Oh, I see that's why you now all of a sudden begrudge Pirelli tyres, because Herr Schumacher said so.
Quote from BlueFlame :Oh, I see that's why you now all of a sudden begrudge Pirelli tyres, because Herr Schumacher said so.

his f1 experience compare to you, yes.
Quote from BlueFlame :Oh, I see that's why you now all of a sudden begrudge Pirelli tyres, because Herr Schumacher said so.

Brundle's blog on Sky

"On the journey home I was talking with two F1 drivers, a world champion and a multiple race winner, and they had very similar concerns to Michael in that they can't push the cars anywhere near their limits. 'Physically my granny could drive the race' quipped one to underline how far away from the limits they are."

So it's not just Schumacher, its other drivers too. I suspect those two drivers are Hamilton and Webber. Rosberg also had concerns too.
Well Hamilton already complained about the tires in the beginning of last season iirc... and about the exactly the same topic.

Personally I'd love to give the drivers some rock solid tires and see them driving 110% throughout the race but it would be much less exciting to watch because it would almost totally take away any performance differences between the cars that are caused by the pirellis which make the tires far more dynamic element.

No. I said it before he said it. Check history of the thread. But when he said it then I'm 100% sure.
If Schumacher was winning he wouldn't be complaining.
Who complains when they are winning?
There aren't too many honest drivers nowadays (most drivers would probably speak their mind but that could most likely end up ruining relationships with sponsors)
Quote from hyperactive :personally i'd love to give the drivers some rock solid tires and see them driving 110% throughout the race

+1
Quote from BlueFlame :Personally, I implore it. More pitstops means more pitstop mistakes, and more mistakes means more fluxuating gaps between cars.

The difference shouldn't come down to pit stops as much as it does. Managing tires should allow drivers to go faster late in the race or run rather than making them pit every 10 laps. I'd rather they stayed off of pit road other than one time so that there's more actual racing and a little less pit stratagy and speed of pit stops factoring in.

Pitting 3 - 4 times in 90 min just isn't right. Isn't 1 stop every hour what most other series' look for in tires for an exciting race or is that just the ones that I watch?
Quote from Töki (HUN) :+1

ZzzZZzzzZZzzzz

Result: fastest car (not driver) wins every race going away, except when it rains or there's a mechanical failure.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :ZzzZZzzzZZzzzz

Result: fastest car (not driver) wins every race going away, except when it rains or there's a mechanical failure.

Yea, because F1 has ever been different.

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG