The online racing simulator
Quote from BlueFlame :No, a GP shows a GP.

It has always been about marketing and economics since I'd say 80's mostly, but since 2000's for sure. Propaganda works at a lot more sophisticated levels than just caring. Like Hill said GP is ok to go as long as they impose soviet-style security measures and of course they need government for that which will then automatically be linked to the event and mentioned during the event and especially during the evening news which again brings the propaganda back to people who need to be overthrown. But then again noone cares about human rights when it comes to enormous money and I believe there are at least eighty percent chances that the event will run.
In other news Susie Stodartt, now Wolff becomes Williams F1 development driver. What does that mean for Bottas? They say Susie will attend races in upcoming months for them and I haven't seen any mention of Bottas anywhere.
Quote from N I K I :In other news Susie Stodartt, now Wolff becomes Williams F1 development driver. What does that mean for Bottas? They say Susie will attend races in upcoming months for them and I haven't seen any mention of Bottas anywhere.

Susie is wife to one of the William's team owners. So make of that what you will. That's F1 chaps!
Quote from N I K I :In other news Susie Stodartt, now Wolff becomes Williams F1 development driver. What does that mean for Bottas? They say Susie will attend races in upcoming months for them and I haven't seen any mention of Bottas anywhere.

Straightline tests and sim work probably?

don't worry shes a development driver not a reserve.

I would rate Bottas leagues ahead of her anyway, shes only there because shes shagging one of the staff from my knowledge.
Quote from BlueFlame :It's not an idiotic case at all. Just because it's different to the masses doesn't make it idiotic.

How do you support your friends in need? Just **** off and leave them to sort it out? No, you give them economic support. Which is what the F1 event does.

Abandoning the event just shows that the rest of the world don't care about Bahrain and their problems, being there shows support by F1 saying (what ever happens to you Bahrain, we respect you enough to keep coming back anyway).

Not bothering to turn up just makes things worse from a diplomatic point of view.

Judging by previous threads I've read on here, I can say that you agreeing it with it confirms it as idiotic without the need for explaining to you how money distribution works in an oppressive autocracy that sends armoured cars in weekly to tear gas it's poor neighbourhoods.
Quote :"Based on the current information the FIA has at this stage, it is satisfied that all the proper security measures are in place for the running of a Formula One World Championship event in Bahrain," it said.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98743

proper security measures = lots of tear gas, photos from this week apparently:

Quote from englishlord :Judging by previous threads I've read on here, I can say that you agreeing it with it confirms it as idiotic without the need for explaining to you how money distribution works in an oppressive autocracy that sends armoured cars in weekly to tear gas it's poor neighbourhoods.

Well ironically before all the civil unrest Bahrain was one of the safest countries in the middle east. So I wouldn't talk about oppression quite so flippantly. The students in London last summer were close to being tear-gassed, but I don't see the UK as an oppressive autocracy do you?

If the civilians are being violent, then you must respond accordingly, which is what they are doing, they're not just going into random houses tear-gassing kids ffs.
#385 - col
Quote from BlueFlame :Basically people discredit what I say because it's ME, not because of what I say.

or maybe it is because of what you say e.g.

Quote from BlueFlame :Well ironically before all the civil unrest Bahrain was one of the safest countries in the middle east. So I wouldn't talk about oppression quite so flippantly. The students in London last summer were close to being tear-gassed, but I don't see the UK as an oppressive autocracy do you?

If the civilians are being violent, then you must respond accordingly, which is what they are doing, they're not just going into random houses tear-gassing kids ffs.

Dunno how about you guys, but after seeing one video of Bahrain protest and resuming situation in Bahrain, I should say maybe it's really better to cancel the race and support the will of Bahrain people.
Obviously this is a difficult and unpleasant situation, as I can see the businessmen in F1 calling it.

As a human being I would not let the GP go through, as a race fan I see no reasons to cancel the GP. By cancelling last year they should have send a stronger and better signal so the international community would have done more to see the issues solved by now. Then again, is it the international community it's obligation to do so? Even more so, is the Western obligation to do so? Where is the line these days between "rebels for own goals and greed" and "fighting for better life condition fighters"? Not to mention the whole religion and tribal complications in some of those countries where our Western media outrageously knows shit about and thus informs us, the public, also incorrect and simplified (Syria and the still ongoing war in Afghanistan are fine examples). As we'd be too stupid to understand...! Our freeing of Libya went good... they're already infighting between the various tribes... Perhaps we better stay out and focus on our own situations, it's not like we don't have problems of our own.

The first upcoming GP is in China, also there a lot of tear gas is being thrown around and riot police marches weekly into villages. I see no "should we cancel the Chineze GP?" questions asked here...

Which brings me to the conclusion that we nor F1 should lose itself in politics and propaganda. If the circuit and near surroundings are safe, if the drivers and all the team crew's safety can be garantueed and if the GP can continue as a normal GP, then it should.

If F1 would want to send a signal afterall, then they can do it by announcing that on the moment the contract expires it will not be renewed. Unless the situation improves, F1 will not return to Bahrein anymore. But it neither will be a bad businesspartner. Win-win if the F1 applies to proper communication it will have the same effect as cancelling the GP.
As long as the F1 fraternity is safe in Bahrain I see no reason why it shouldn't continue. There have been many on-going issues in countries and the F1 gp still went ahead. Like Japan for instance. Putting money into their system is the best support the international community can give. Doesn't matter if the regime is corrupt, they will be even more corrupt when they have less money the average person will benefit alot less.

As Gianni said, China has it's problems but both China AND India also have poverty all around the circuits but putting money into that local economy is a good thing. Not going would be less beneficial to those people than going ahead.

There are small businesses that thrive on the GP weekend, and some which may not survive without it and with Bahrains situation they need an increase and sustainability with small businesses.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/98651

I think it's a bit odd to see tear gas and riotting happening in a isolated incident and then cancel something on the back of it.
F1 and politics have always been intertwined, an example of this is the cancellation of the South African GP (1984?) due to ongoing apartide. It's nothing new I'm afraid.
Quote from vipex123 :F1 and politics have always been intertwined, an example of this is the cancellation of the South African GP (1984?) due to ongoing apartide. It's nothing new I'm afraid.

That's a different issue as most of the marshalls for the early SA GP's were black.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well ironically before all the civil unrest Bahrain was one of the safest countries in the middle east. So I wouldn't talk about oppression quite so flippantly. The students in London last summer were close to being tear-gassed, but I don't see the UK as an oppressive autocracy do you?

Egypt, Libya, Tunisia and Syria were all "safer" before their uprising. What's your point? Nobody should rise up against oppression ever in case it puts the fate of a grand prix in question? and show me your evidence for your assertion that British students were close to being tear gassed.

http://rt.com/news/bahrain-woman-killed-child-tortured-319/

Quote :The escalation of unrest comes amid the retrial of 20 doctors and nurses who were convicted of trying to overthrow the government by treating demonstrators injured in last year's protests. The original prosecution of the medics brought widespread international condemnation.

#392 - col
Quote from BlueFlame :As long as the F1 fraternity is safe in Bahrain I see no reason why it shouldn't continue.

reason #1
From the point of view of the people of Bahrain: their country is close to civil war, they are being violently oppressed by a government that does not represent them. This event will not benefit them - it will line the pockets of Bernie and his cronies and provide an international publicity opportunity for the Bahrain government. The people of the country don't want the race.

reason #2
From the point of view of the teams: They will all be worried, both about the safety of their personnel, and about how much damage this event could do to their sponsorship revenue - if it goes ahead, then backfires, and there is a political shit-storm, some sponsors will pull out of F1 for sure.

reason #3
From the point of view of Damon Hill, who is involved as an F1 ambassador of sorts, and who has visited Bahrain to assess the situation on several occasions. He has expressed serious misgivings about the race.
When he was in Bahrain, you can bet that the government did everything in their power to hide the problems from him, yet he's still seen enough to be unhappy about the situation.
Quote from col :
reason #3
From the point of view of Damon Hill, who is involved as an F1 ambassador of sorts, and who has visited Bahrain to assess the situation on several occasions. He has expressed serious misgivings about the race.
When he was in Bahrain, you can bet that the government did everything in their power to hide the problems from him, yet he's still seen enough to be unhappy about the situation.

I agree with those 3 reasons, and pretty much everything you say, but...
#394 - col
Quote from BlueFlame :If the civilians are being violent, then you must respond accordingly, which is what they are doing, they're not just going into random houses tear-gassing kids ffs.

Are they? For example last year the big Pearl Roundabout demonstrations were peaceful until the moment government fake police forces responded with violence. With few exceptions this pattern has probably continued since. I guess you're also going to claim that they are just not going to drag protesters into jails (and several of them torturing to death).
Quote from deggis :Are they? For example last year the big Pearl Roundabout demonstrations were peaceful until the moment government fake police forces responded with violence. With few exceptions this pattern has probably continued since. I guess you're also going to claim that they are just not going to drag protesters into jails (and several of them torturing to death).

They weren't but they are now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17663642

However, it is justified to kill violent oppressors.
-
(vipex123) DELETED by vipex123

Formula One Season 2012
(1268 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG