The online racing simulator
Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
Release date 12/12/12....
Those has to be PC screens Hope they can be arsed to create a half decent port this time.
New shot:
Attached images
614388_10151207876055097_2001477220_o.jpg
Graphics remind me of the original Far Cry. Not exactly cutting edge anymore...
Quote from tristancliffe :Graphics remind me of the original Far Cry. Not exactly cutting edge anymore...

Nah man, there's a volumetric murkening (how's that for a word!) of the water. Double your graphics hardware these days and that's the sort of benefit you get - added murkiness. Great demonstration of diminishing returns.
mind = blown
Attached images
337840_10151207907075097_1505473310_o.jpg
411529_10151207907205097_2008490427_o.jpg
Quote from thisnameistaken :Nah man, there's a volumetric murkening (how's that for a word!) of the water. Double your graphics hardware these days and that's the sort of benefit you get - added murkiness. Great demonstration of diminishing returns.

I've been saying for years that games are too murkless. Can't wait to try it, especially on a big screen in a darkened room to enhance the murk.
Yeah me too man I've bought a really shit TV to make it look even worse.
Shut up you trolls it looks great, and it won't be that far when graphic mods get rolling in to make it look twice the better.
Everything looks good now. What has this got that all other 3D games from the last five years haven't got?
Um it has the open map 50 times bigger then most games? Million objects, buildings, moving pedestrians, cars etc..
Quote from Boris Lozac :Um it has the open map 50 times bigger then most games? Million objects, buildings, moving pedestrians, cars etc..

So did GTA 4.

None of those things are graphics features by the way.
They are not but it can't have those things and at the same time look like Crysis or what is the epiphony in graphics. Yes Crysis was open too but it only had the forest, this has much more things going on at the same time..
Quote from thisnameistaken :So did GTA 4.

None of those things are graphics features by the way.

But are putting stress on your machine.
But they are irrelevant to the discussion. We're looking at static images of a game that nobody's played and commenting on how it looks. How it looks is 'average'. So now Boris would like to bring hyperbole to the table (50 times bigger...) to explain why this game is special, along with some features that many other games from the last five years have had.

Is it fun? Who knows. GTA 4 wasn't much fun. The story took itself too seriously; the protagonist's proposed personality didn't fit most of his actions; it was littered with unimaginative, overly long cinematic sequences, and if they weren't distraction enough they included NPCs nagging you to perform boring time-sink recreational activities with them. No thank you, I would like to get on with playing GTA, not watch badly acted short films or play The Sims.

The series peaked at Vice City. Ten years ago. And the solution is not to make the rocks look nicer.
And you see GTA IV is the only GTA campaign i thouroghly enjoyed and bothered to finish, i never done that in previous games.
When you complain about something you have to know what you're talking about and put all things in perspective such as the huge city and the amount of stuff happening there..
Is a huge amount of stuff happening? In the area immediately around your character yeah. Not anywhere else. And more importantly: Is any of it really adding anything to the experience? Sure it's nice to have some other pedestrians and cars around to make a place feel believable, but really they're just decoration.

Also what was the story with the AI cars in GTA 4 - why was it that half the cars on the road were the same car you were driving, no matter what car you were driving? More often than not there were only three or four different types of car on the road at any given time. If the car resources are too heavy for the computer to render then maybe they need to scale the models back a bit rather than removing most of them from play. But I suppose that wouldn't make for good pre-release screenies, and those are what sell games.
To be honest, it just sounds like GTA isn't for you. I loved every GTA, from 3 to IV and everything in between. The freedom, scale, the details, the NPC interactions, the story, going on a rampage in a tank, flying a jet about. If it lives up to it's reputation this will be the ultimate GTA, bringing back all the eccentric and fun elements of VC/SA with the graphics and brilliant physics engine from 4. I honestly can't wait for this game. I agree that VC (maybe SA) was the peak, GTA4 had a lot of potential that it didn't live up to, but this will hopefully. Anyway, for me the story was a side show in IV, the real fun was getting a group of 5 - 10 mates and causing havoc online, doing every mad thing that we could think of. That's where the fun was. Thinking about it, anyone here who has IV on the PC and up for playing some MP? I haven't done it in too long.

About the cars being the same, it has been that way in GTA since 3, and it's the limitations of the platforms they're working on. It's much easier to inject a few cars which are already in use, rather than 20 random ones. Sure, they could scale back all the car models, make them all look worse so you can have a bit (more) of variation, but I have never found that constricting, at all. I really don't think the screenshots are what sell GTA games either, screenshots (even those beautiful ones up there) do not do GTA justice in the slightest.
Quote from thisnameistaken :
Also what was the story with the AI cars in GTA 4 - why was it that half the cars on the road were the same car you were driving, no matter what car you were driving? More often than not there were only three or four different types of car on the road at any given time. If the car resources are too heavy for the computer to render then maybe they need to scale the models back a bit rather than removing most of them from play. But I suppose that wouldn't make for good pre-release screenies, and those are what sell games.

This was happening in every single GTA since GTA3 came out. I remember looking for the Gruppe Sechs security car in GTA3, nowhere to be seen for few (real) days... then i found it and huzzah, it was everywhere. Maybe the rarity was caused by the fact, that it was my last car on dealer list in docks, but it was happening with any car, regardless of what i wrote.

I guess latest GTA's aren't your choice anymore, they've gone more serious and that's good in my opinion. I heard many people complaining, that they didn't like the main character, i did. Episodes, especially Gay Tony, were great. Some cheesiness, but that's GTA and R*. About GTA5, let's see, it looks weirdly, but the side characters can do the job, like Lil' Jacob, that's one of reasons, why i come back to GTA4. 100 people, 100 tastes. Rockstar knows it, and luckily, they don't act like Activision, throwing new GTA out every year just to milk money and/or please everyone.

The engine is just optimalised RAGE, i think i said it earlier in this thread. It will look a tad(s) better than GTA4 and it should perform much better. Remember initial GTA4 release? It was a disaster. I'm glad they used it, not only because i own a crap PC and because my console runs on PAL TV, but because it might in the end be much better, than developing stunning, balls shiny new engine, which will be crap, because it isn't optimalised. Looking at the screens (and the ooooold trailer), they did good job imo (apart from those palm leaves).

E: FU DeKo.. :P
Quote from Kid222 :
E: FU DeKo.. :P

I think of GTA4 as them exploring this generation of hardware, in the same way GTA3 did. 3 kept it simple, then VC and SA went crazy. I suspect the same is happening here. They also have lots and lots of experience now working with the rage engine with RDR and Max Payne, so it should run far better than 4 did. Max payne runs great on the PC for example.
I am ok with the graphics, the new gameplay mechanics is really the biggest drive, what they said about no matter succeeding or failing a mission the story still goes on?
Quote from DeKo :To be honest, it just sounds like GTA isn't for you.

Really? My criticisms are that GTA:SA was too big with massive sprawling nothing in between all the action, but maybe some people like having to drive for miles before they get to actually do anything, and the silly being forced to eat junk food every day, and the weird pointless stat-improving things with the gym, all that bullshit. Maybe they are things that mark me out as not being enough of a fan of the series. GTA4 took out a lot of those pointless activities (and sadly injected a few replacements), but let itself down by just not being very entertaining. Again - too much time wasted in between actually getting on with the game. I suppose it's a way to bulk out your game and make it look bigger. GTA 4 was mostly that sort of rice.

Quote from DeKo :I loved every GTA, from 3 to IV and everything in between.

So not GTA, GTA 2 or GTA London, then. Which were all really good.

Quote from DeKo :I agree that VC (maybe SA) was the peak, GTA4 had a lot of potential that it didn't live up to, but this will hopefully.

So you agree VC was the best the series has been, and that GTA4 didn't deliver what you expected it to, but you think GTA5 will? Classic case of being swallowed by the hype machine.

I will do what I usually do and wait for the game to come out before I decide if it's any good. It's always best to ignore a publisher's pre-release bullshit.
3 more screens

edit: nvm, :P
Looks so sweet! I wish the xbox could pull off that kind of AA but I predict GTAV will be a launch title for next-gen consoles even if it is released first for xbox and PS3.

Grand Theft Auto V
(1980 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG