The online racing simulator
Quote from amynue :some people in this thread seems to be unbelievably smart since they say 2 years for developement of the tire physics is way to long and they would do it faster, so i have a question for you.

http://www.lfs.net/page_images/pics/tyre_04.jpg

which way the wheel rotates at this picture?
A. Clockwise
b. Counter-clockwise
c. Doesn't rotate at all
d. Jabba

b
Quote from zeugnimod :I don't really see this as a big problem, tbh. Manly because the stage separation is only content-related and the original content for S3 will probably be "only" 1 new car and 1 new track.

well he has a bit of a point
this time 2 years ago the faithful would have bought s3 in a heartbeat... now the faithful have dwindeled significantly in numbers
Quote from Bokujishin :In case some people still doubt the wheel is rotating clockwise, here's a proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ug6w4ZjwVo
Take a look at 0:47, in this case the wheel rotates CCW and the thicker part of the tyre is on the left, so in the other picture, thicker part on the right -> wheel rotating CW

hat if the car is front wheel driven?
Quote from breadfan :snip

90% of S2 players will go straight forward to S3, I'm sure.

Is the other 10%, plus S1 and new S1/S2 players problem if they can't play.
I peeked on the forum nao from under my rock in the cave i live in... Just for fun....

Now ill go back there hide under the rock in my cave.

And im still retarded and live in a cave so dont diss :<
And here we go again the next 150 pages of crying and celebrating People.

I have never seen a product that produces as many opinions.

Because our expectations are so different, there are very difficult to find the developer in a dialogue. Better they will work in secret laboratory on alone.
Merry Christmas SCAVIER !

A few screenies or approx release date would be awesome.
/thread
Looks like my money will be staying in my pocket for a bit longer then.

I really hope that a change of thought goes on soon, if the tyre model can't be completed by easter, (yes, we know and respect the difficulties this has caused Scawen,) then surely it makes sense to release the rest of the content, ie, new track and car plus some other fixes for long running bugs as S3 and then release the updated tyre physics at a later date. The graphics do need an overhaul really, I'm not after GT5 flashy presentation, but 8 year old graphics don't really cut it anymore unfortunately, £36 would net a much better racing simulator than what S3 is currently offering, even if the physics aren't as accurate.

If the devs want to play in their spare time at making the most accurate driving simulator possible then that is up to them, none of us have a right to critisize that, however, if they want a marketable product that they wish to charge people to use, then they have to wise up and alter their priorities a bit. Annual updates are a minimum requirement really, even if it is only cars/tracks or a graphic update, a physics revision or whatever. Leaving people who have already paid out in the cold for 2 years plus is a customer service disaster if you want them to send more money your way in the future.

I'd like clarification from one of the team on which direction they are taking this product, if it's not going to be for the benefit of it's users, then I'm happy to pony up and buy an iRacing subsription to get my racing fix. (I can also race on ovals that way so it won't be too heartbreaking.)
Quote from Nick Brad :Looks like my money will be staying in my pocket for a bit longer then.

I really hope that a change of thought goes on soon, if the tyre model can't be completed by easter, (yes, we know and respect the difficulties this has caused Scawen,) then surely it makes sense to release the rest of the content, ie, new track and car plus some other fixes for long running bugs as S3 and then release the updated tyre physics at a later date. The graphics do need an overhaul really, I'm not after GT5 flashy presentation, but 8 year old graphics don't really cut it anymore unfortunately, £36 would net a much better racing simulator than what S3 is currently offering, even if the physics aren't as accurate.

If the devs want to play in their spare time at making the most accurate driving simulator possible then that is up to them, none of us have a right to critisize that, however, if they want a marketable product that they wish to charge people to use, then they have to wise up and alter their priorities a bit. Annual updates are a minimum requirement really, even if it is only cars/tracks or a graphic update, a physics revision or whatever. Leaving people who have already paid out in the cold for 2 years plus is a customer service disaster if you want them to send more money your way in the future.

I'd like clarification from one of the team on which direction they are taking this product, if it's not going to be for the benefit of it's users, then I'm happy to pony up and buy an iRacing subsription to get my racing fix. (I can also race on ovals that way so it won't be too heartbreaking.)

I'm also a bit disappointed.
The amount of cars and track combinations that are possible with LFS are endless.
Look at LFStweak for example.
You can make a 1.2 turbo with 500 BHP, and things like that, but will the devs add such an engine to LFS? Probably not.
It just seems that outside LFS development is getting more and more interesting (modding cars for example).

There is so much possible, yet there is little used in this fantastic simulator.

How is it not possible to make some 'generic' cars, (2.0 XFG, XFG Turbo, RB4 GTR, maybe even official Baby UFR's and Baby XFR's, or what about some kind of insane supercar, with a biturbo V6 (like the XJ220).

We all know it's possible, but it will never be there.
That makes me sad
Quote from Nick Brad :Looks like my money will be staying in my pocket for a bit longer then.

Whats the matter, to tight to buy S1?
Quote from Whiskey :90% of S2 players will go straight forward to S3, I'm sure.

I'll take that bet.
A year or two ago I would have gone S2 -> S3 in a heartbeat, but now.. I don't think so anymore. It's not really about the matter of cost/content ratio either. Two cars and one track for £12 is a lot more than you get for the same money in iRacing, some might even call it a bargain! But the thing is, I don't want to fund this kind of development or customer service that we've seen during the past couple of years.

I really don't understand what was so wrong in the old way LFS was developed; change something, release a patch, let the community test out the bugs, release another patch with bugs ironed out and so on. The current "make it perfect in one go" approach is strange and very non-LFS like, not to mention, rather unhealthy for the community spirit aswell.

For me to pass those £12 for S3, the devs will need to prove me they still care about the community (also known as, their customers) which does not mean one report (that doesn't really say anything new) in a year from one single developer or an angry rant post from another.
Quote from Matrixi :A year or two ago I would have gone S2 -> S3 in a heartbeat, but now..
*snip*

100% agreed.
Amazing, as always, but...

Quote :This paragraph is to explain the main elements in the structure of a radial tyre, in my own words...

Who is the writer? The newcomers might not know or realize that Scawen has written the article, so I think a signature would be in order here
I knew this was coming, i could feel it. Thanks DEVS!, looking forward to the release LFS is going to ROCK!
Quote from Matrixi :..

Same, I probably won't right away. They've really lost a lot of trustworthiness, and I don't see any way to make it up
Thanks for the update Scawen!
Sounds very interesting (and frustrating programming-wise) when such details are considered.

Keep up the good work - Happy New Year LFS! - and may 2011 bring some tyre modelling progress at your office, and perhaps even in the public.

If you are one of those impatient racers, maybe you should consider the following
Attached images
SimSys.png
Quote from Ingolf :If you are one of those impatient racers, maybe you should consider the following

Yeah, it's like 1/x
Quote from anttt69 :Whats the matter, to tight to buy S1?

Yes as it happens, when it concerns throwing money at a product that may never be improved/finished. Consider it this way, would you pay for a bathroom only or maybe a bathroom and bedroom, (S1 and S2 respectively,) knowing that it's taken two years so far for the kitchen and living room to be built and there's still no firm date for completion?

Why waste £12 on part of the product I want if i'll never be able to buy the next installment? I'd rather put that £12 toward something else. Now, if you think it's such a petty sum of money, feel free to buy the S1 licence for me.
S2 feels very much like a finished product though Only because updates have been promised do people complain, me included
LFS in its current state is far from being unfinished product. It is perfectly usable and enjoyable, without there being any (significant) inconvenience of missing features. There is sufficient content to do many things, and the current tyre physics and general feel of the car is on par with (or better than) most other sim titles.

It cannot be compared to an unfinished kitchen or bathroom. If you have no water plumbed into your sink or your bathtub has not been installed, the bathroom is completly UNUSABLE. This is not the case with LFS.
That is probably true, although I remember the possibility of adding our own tracks once the product was completed. I don't know if that's still going to be an option though, hopefully not as for every detailed recreation of a real track or planned and well executed imaginary track, there will be dozens of badly thought out fantasy tracks that will have limited practical use and clog up people's hard drives for a one time usage.

The fact that Rockingham used to be my home from home and extra cars were promised made me consider this a product still in development and my faith in LFS has meant that I haven't walked away yet. I'm hoping that my queries posted earlier will be answered, but if there's no further updates by summer, I may well remove the demo version and let LFS slip into obscurity.
Quote from JO53PHS :....It cannot be compared to an unfinished kitchen or bathroom. If you have no water plumbed into your sink or your bathtub has not been installed, the bathroom is completly UNUSABLE. This is not the case with LFS.

I'm not comparing it to an unfinished bathroom or kitchen, it's an unfinished house. What you have is completely usable, but you know that there's some missing and you'd rather wait for it to be completed before paying for it.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG