The online racing simulator
LFS has been an ongoing project since 2003. It is very developed as an online racing simulation. No other sim in its price range gets anywhere near.
I thought i was a stingey git but you just take the biscuit.
@Nick Brad,
I can understand why you long for more content as a demo driver - but there is a solution for that: buy S2. Content and great opponents will multiply by the tenths and hundreds, respectively. And so will the fun and enjoyment.

There is just no comparison between S2 and Demo in terms of fun online racing simulation. Take it as an advice. You are the one missing out on great racing sessions. Come and join us! Thousands of racers are using your unfinished bathroom every day/night and having a blast!

Let the devs finish the update - meanwhile, join us at Aston.
thanks for the report

and hey, i dont know why people are mad about hearing some news,
sure it has been a long time since "early 2009" but at least they are still doing something. i'm 20 years old and

I HAVE ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD, WAITING FOR SOMETHING NEW !
I'm sure that there is no comparison between demo and S2, I appreciate that, but at the same time I refuse to part with my money until I am sure that updates will actually be released before I hit 40, (only 11 and a half years to go). The other issue is that I come from an oval racing background, been at the tracks since before I even started school, grew up and was a spotter at Rockingham for quite a few years until oval racing pretty much went belly up there, (still have my licence though if any of the pickup teams need a backup).
What does S2 offer me specifically beyond what I can do in the demo? Sure the competition will be better and I am less likely to be racing against noobs who crash every other lap through pushing too hard, but if I am not as good at circuit racing then it just opens up the possibility of propping up the grid numbers for those that do excel at circuit racing. If NR2k3 hadn't become so dated I wouldn't have even looked elsewhere and discovered LFS, hopefully people will have more understanding now why S3's release is so important to me, (or maybe not if they're encapsulated in their own little bubble too much to read my posts thoroughly and see what I am actually saying).
Seven years membership and still I return every 6 months or so to find no demonstrable progress. It seems to me there are too many empty promises and no proofs of any progress. It saddens me to see this game dying as I loved it. A new track or a new car anything to keep people interested. It occurs to me that the developer team need someone on board with marketing skills. How about it guys.
Quote from Nick Brad :What does S2 offer me specifically beyond what I can do in the demo? Sure the competition will be better and I am less likely to be racing against noobs who crash every other lap through pushing too hard, but if I am not as good at circuit racing then it just opens up the possibility of propping up the grid numbers for those that do excel at circuit racing.... (or maybe not if they're encapsulated in their own little bubble too much to read my posts thoroughly and see what I am actually saying).

Think it's you that is in the bubble mate. You don't seem to have ventured online, so how you can judge LFS is beyond me. £24 ($36) in iRacing will get only get you 1 car and 1 track, in LFS it'll get you an extra 17 cars, 6 venues with many tracks and access to all of the servers and events going on.
Quote from tmehlinger :Get over yourself. Your management hobby isn't their problem, the money you spend on servers isn't their problem, and doing well in IGTC/MoE/whatever isn't their problem. They simply sell a product, what you do with it is your own business.

The sense of entitlement here is downright absurd. We're all excited for an update but they don't owe us shit. You got what you paid for, if you don't enjoy it anymore, move on and quit shitting up the discussion here.

My management hobby as you say, has brought at least 10 licenses to LFS and 1000's of hours of my time for the LFS community (not even racing). It has also brought the last 2 kart meets, which cost me and my family a hell of alot of time and money.

If you also count the amount of effort I have put in supporting people like your team, and others too, then your comments are either plain stupid, or vindictive beyond belief.

Since reading your comments, I really can't be freaking arsed anymore. I guess I won't be missed, and atm, I couldn't give a shit.
Quote from boothy : £24 ($36) in iRacing will get only get you 1 car and 1 track.

false
$14.95 + 11.95 = $26.95 (Ok you can buy 3 cars or get a 11.95 track if you really want to be pedantic...)
I want it all, and I want it all now!
I want something, and I wanted it 25/12/10

iRacing here I come
@Nick Brad
Quote :What does S2 offer me specifically beyond what I can do in the demo?

Well,
- for a start the different cars act differently depending on engine power and tyre (selection) performance, tuning and fuel load. It's a bit different driving an XFG compared to a LX4, FXO, XRT, FZ, F1BMW... etc etc... (21 in total)
- tracks are different in bumps, breaking points, apexes etc... etc... (total of 54 configurations)
- ppl online are different on various tracks - we all have our favourite tracks and tend to beat opponents on our own fav-track and loose against opponents having other fav-tracks - it's a matter of practice and the time spent on learning the track. This is what make LFS so great!
- the way you can customize your own wheel/gearbox setup is outstanding
- LFS desktop keep track of your data (and everybody elses...)
- InSim provides an unbeatable way to develop custom series/rules/fun sessions
- incredible FPS allows for great movie makers to share amazing videos of past races and drift sessions...

Anyway, I see why you long for Rockingham, and I'm sure it'll be out for public use some day - hey, they laser-scanned this environment, so it's bound to be exiting!

Check back around midsummer 2011 and see if Rockingham has arrived. Meanwhile, grow older towards 40 without us! (no offence... I'm there before you :razz
Quote from jasonmatthews :I want something, and I wanted it 25/12/10

iRacing here I come

Oh cry me a bloody river.

Seriously, when are you lot going to get over the fact you mean next to **** all to Scawen and co?
-
(z-ro 8) DELETED by z-ro 8
Quote from boothy :Think it's you that is in the bubble mate. You don't seem to have ventured online, so how you can judge LFS is beyond me.

I judge it based on the fact that I have raced online, albeit using demo servers and by looking at what content is available. (Something you have missed in my multiple posts it seems by your comments.)
I realise that I can't experience all the track variations offered by S2, I realise that I am limited in the cars I can use, I realise that I can't take advantage of league rules that effectively equalise the different cars. None of this bothers me much though as I have said before because I am AN OVAL RACING FAN!!! Therefore, the demo meets any requirements that I may have for circuit racing, in fact, if I paid for S2, i'd probably still only use the same tracks as I'm not particularly interested in learning how to go fast on the other ones.
So far, the only person who has replied to me directly without choosing to insult me and actually take the time to read what I have posted is Ingolf. If I have to become a sheep and follow everyone elses thinking to fit in then league racing holds nothing for me either I guess as I have my own mind.
Roll on the eventual release of S3, then LFS will get my money and not until then.
Whenever a demo person joins in on conversation recently, I have been agreeing in my head countless times.

If you were a demo racer at this very point in time, would you buy S2, and why?

I personally wouldn't. Eventhough I have had 5 great years in this sim, I wouldn't buy it at this point in time. There's absolutely no point to. You look at the development, you see nothing released in the past 2 years. You look at the community, and you see people complaining about development, while the others complain about the complainers.

In the end it's not something that is tempting and I want to be a part of.
Quote from PMD9409 :If you were a demo racer at this very point in time, would you buy S2, and why?

Absolutely.
I reckon S2 was awesome value when I purchased it more than 5 years ago, and is considerably improved now. This is my opinion totally regardless of what may or may not happen in the future.

There maybe some valid points to criticise LFS on, but 'poor value' has never been one of them. When you compare it's price to the average mass distributed PC or console game, it's fantastic value. I've never understood why people (especially people from western economies) think otherwise.

rFactor is the same price, and NKP is probably cheaper, so I don't exactly see it as a "great" value compared to anything (except iRacing). I don't know, I never understood that argument.
In my opinion...
...You should as soon as possible, give Us a test version of new patch (physics update). We.. LFS drivers, will be testing new feature and cooperate (provide important information about quality of driving ) with S2 developers.

I agree with that, S2 z28 is very good simulator (I driving from the beggining of live for speed.. yeah.. if my memory work good, my first version was S1 0.5a :P but I could be wrong) but.. but is only few things missing to make a excellent driving simulator.. yes I know - this is a lot of work - I'm programmer too, and I know how many work is write a good code ..but please give Us a new year gift and share in lfs forum, first test patch of tyre physics an VW :P this will be fantastic :P
...yeah, dreams

By the way.. sorry about my English
Quote from jasonmatthews :I want something, and I wanted it 25/12/10

iRacing here I come

You got something 24/12/10...
Quote from PMD9409 :If you were a demo racer at this very point in time, would you buy S2, and why?

Yes, I wouldn't need to think twice about it. I would buy S1/S2 for the content that offered, and not for any of the "planned" content. That's what I did in 2008 and am still happy with that decision. I'd get more licences for deserving people - but hey, £££ don't grow on trees...

I've tried rF, LFS, iRacing and nkPro (the Ferrari Academy spinoff). Single seater racing is not for me - so nkPro is out for now (I would go for it once I find some time to invest in it - it looks good). rF - it really didn't get me hooked. iRacing, as good as it sounds, I can't justify spending that kind of cash.

LFS felt natural to me ever since the first time I drove the XFG at Blackwood. It kept getting better and better as I upgraded to S1 and S2. My only regret is that I didn't get to hear about LFS pre mid-2008.

Even after all this time there's still alot of stuff to do. How many of you in here mourning for new content have at least tried most of that's offered? Have you at least done some hotlapping and uploaded one to LFSW? Have you guys analysed your hotlaps (rafa?) Have you raced in major leagues? Are your lap times on par with the WRs? Have you checked out the race stats that's shown in LFSWorld? Sure all that is not for everyone. Or you could be one of the few who have actually done all that already; in that case, good job in making full use of what LFS has to offer.
I think its great that the devs are still working on perfecting the model and I am glad to hear there is also new content being created, however I disagree on the ammount of time it is taking. But hey what can we do...

Quote from Amynue :
Some people in this thread seems to be unbelievably smart since they say 2 years for developement of the tire physics is way to long and they would do it faster, so I have a question for you.

http://www.lfs.net/page_images/pics/tyre_04.jpg

Which way the wheel rotates at this picture?
A. clockwise
B. counter-clockwise
C. doesn't rotate at all
D. jabba

The answer to this is definately A, for all those who disagree as I cba to explain why but this will help you understand. Why not use your own little finger to demonstrate the forces. As you turn your finger clockwise on the spot pressed against a desk, you will notice that the force acting left on your finger means that your skin will be tighter on the left side of your finger. (This represents the friction between the tyre and the road when the tyre rotates clockwise)
Quote from PMD9409 :Whenever a demo person joins in on conversation recently, I have been agreeing in my head countless times.

If you were a demo racer at this very point in time, would you buy S2, and why?

I personally wouldn't. Eventhough I have had 5 great years in this sim, I wouldn't buy it at this point in time. There's absolutely no point to. You look at the development, you see nothing released in the past 2 years. You look at the community, and you see people complaining about development, while the others complain about the complainers.

In the end it's not something that is tempting and I want to be a part of.

You've hit the nail on the head there, when S2 was first released I would have purchased it in a heartbeat had I felt confident enough about my internet connection at the time. iRacing was still First racing and on a search and destroy mission for anyone still wanting to advance the NR2k3 code, no one had heard of NKP and even the disappointment that is Arca Sim Racing was still on the drawing board. With no oval prospects in sight of course I would have taken the best possible circuit racing simulation. Now it is looking dated and it's not unreasonable to request an update of actual content after so much time.
For years and years the community is stable here, graphs show that... Same amount of racers every day on a pretty reasonable level.

Look at Netkar, a lot of blabla but the servers are empty. Look at RFactor, I have RFactor ServerSpy, comparable situation as here on LFS. For the developers it's only a guess that popularity increases after the announced improvements. Actually, LFS history shows that improvement does not really matter on the popularity scale.

So why rush things if the general interest in the thing you develop doesn't increase?
Quote from PMD9409 :... I wouldn't buy it at this point in time. There's absolutely no point to. You look at the development, you see nothing released in the past 2 years.

There is a point and that is that now, you/we/anyone_wo_is_just_waiting, know that the developement hasn't stopped and that there will be new stuff.

Bying a license now or later doesn't matter because it will be the same price either way.
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG