The online racing simulator
Merry Christmas Devs and all of the LFS community

Thanks for the report, but I don't think I am alone in feeling a little disappointed to have no idea when we can expect a patch. Will it be in the next few months, or years? We have absolutely no idea at the moment and I think it would be fair for us to expect an indication of some time frame here. Alot of the community have waited patiently for over 2 years now, without moaning and hoping that this Christmas something would come. The latest report gives no indication of time frames

As I am sure you understand by now, we have lost alot of good racers from LFS in the last 2 years and keeping people motivated to continue to play and support LFS is getting harder and harder. At least if we had a clue about the possible release date of the patch we could do something in the meantime.

I totally respect what you are trying to achieve and I trust it will transform LFS into THE sim when it is done, but the present situation is really difficult for people like me, who has to motivate a big team to continue with LFS.

Also, I don't understand the situation with the content. We have been waiting for GTR interiors for many many years now. The same with the buggy kerbs in Kyoto. These are things which affect us every day and are not affected by the tyre physics, so why can they not get released, or are they not done yet?
Basically what he's saying in the "news" is that it's hard to do a proper working tyre model.
Guess what? I knew it is pretty much impossible to have a model that stick perfectly to the reality.
A progress report should contain progresses while Scawen's post clearly doesn't so i can't really understand what have you guys seen in his words.
Most of the news it's Scawen's way to explain noobs how a tyre works (i suppose it was too difficult for those who are analphabets to google something about it) and the rest of it was the same old "it's difficult" and bla bla bla.
Do we understand how far into the completion of the patch we are? No.
Do we understand how Eric is doing so far? No.
If the best thing a bunch of guys can say about their work (which they supposely earn money from) is "i don't have a boss, make your own business" i think i can explain why they are not billionaires.
I am not taking it personally but the fact is i still can't understand what's all this about.
Don't you guys have anymore will to keep on developing the game?
Why don't you just be honest with the community and say what has to be said?
Quote from jasonmatthews :The same with the buggy kerbs in Kyoto.

AFAIK that is caused by tyre physics, which leads me to the following question:

@Scawen: Does the new physics calculation have more than 1 contact point?

Now, you can see (driving slowly over kerbs for example) how the carcas deformation is calculated at the center point of the contact path of the tread. I hope in the new version the tyre colides with other objects (including cars?) in a real way, as a whole object, not just as that point.
Quote from Scawen :No spam please, Tomba or others. This thread is going to be here a long time.

We've spent some time preparing reports, it would be great if we don't have to spend the rest of Christmas Eve removing spam and giving infractions to angry people.

Thanks.

You've been served !!

Have a great New Year et al.

/note to Trolls - Chill out, time is an illusion, especially developement time.
Anyone who does developement knows that it always takes at least 2x as long as the most pessimistic estimate, at best.
And perfection is always the ideal target, it's hard to soar when your dealing with turkeys !
Quote from IlGuercio :Basically what he's saying in the "news" is that it's hard to do a proper working tyre model.
Guess what? I knew it is pretty much impossible to have a model that stick perfectly to the reality.
A progress report should contain progresses while Scawen's post clearly doesn't so i can't really understand what have you guys seen in his words.
Most of the news it's Scawen's way to explain noobs how a tyre works (i suppose it was too difficult for those who are analphabets to google something about it) and the rest of it was the same old "it's difficult" and bla bla bla.
Do we understand how far into the completion of the patch we are? No.
Do we understand how Eric is doing so far? No.
If the best thing a bunch of guys can say about their work (which they supposely earn money from) is "i don't have a boss, make your own business" i think i can explain why they are not billionaires.
I am not taking it personally but the fact is i still can't understand what's all this about.
Don't you guys have anymore will to keep on developing the game?
Why don't you just be honest with the community and say what has to be said?

Meh, I'm just glad they're still working on it. And "It's very hard and we want perfection, that's why it's taking so long." is enough explanation for me.

In the mean time I'll go on with my life. No biggie.
Quote from TexasLTU :2010 December - another "we are not dead" message 2011 December - we're almost done! 2012 December - sorry no patch, world ends anyway.

LOLOLOL

Anyways, waiting for teh patch! I'm willing to pay for S3 up to 40 bucks. Release it!!!!
Quote from linksy :First, thanks Scawen, looking good.

For crying out loud ... is this "first" being used in forums too now?

On the topic: I gotta say that im fine with the delay, at one point it makes sense - to release a proper update after all. Looking forward to it.

Edit: Releasing a buggy (buggy version) one will make 99% of the users whine and then it would look very dirty. I assume we would have 2x more threads about bugs here than right now we have about the upcoming updates.
Great news
Good stuff
Quote from Scawen :Scawen has written a little more about tyre design and simulation in case you would like to get a bit more technical.

Thanks for the update and articale on tyre physics, interesting read and does give insight into what the future may provide

A very Merry Christmas to all in LFS land :eclipseeh
Quote from jasonmatthews :
I totally respect what you are trying to achieve and I trust it will transform LFS into THE sim when it is done, but the present situation is really difficult for people like me, who has to motivate a big team to continue with LFS.

Get over yourself. Your management hobby isn't their problem, the money you spend on servers isn't their problem, and doing well in IGTC/MoE/whatever isn't their problem. They simply sell a product, what you do with it is your own business.

The sense of entitlement here is downright absurd. We're all excited for an update but they don't owe us shit. You got what you paid for, if you don't enjoy it anymore, move on and quit shitting up the discussion here.
People seems to neglect the complexity of a realistic tyre model. F1 teams spend millions and millions (and probably hundreds of engineers and programmers) to develop a tyre model for their simulator. We are getting one for 24 euros.

Stop bitching.

ps. Scawen it would be nice if you could release some onboard footage of the work-in-progress model?
These are good news!!! I get home from xmas with family and this little gift is waiting on forum!!!

I did took the time to read the whole 5 paged thread so far, and i can understand some folks point of view. They complain and with some reason....i mean, its been more then 2 years.....but i dont focus on that( well at least not for a some months now )....i choose to focus on the what LFS brought to me over these years!!!! LFS is probably the only "game" that has never left my hard drive in almost 5 years!! And it only costed 24£.....if u crunch the numbers thats REALLY good value for an investment!

Not speaking about the money, LFS also brought me hours and hours of endless fun! I also made a few friends in this game, friends i met in races that later lead to personal meetings that lead to good friendships!!

Think about it.....in the end, i must say LFS is a little part of me and my way of life!! So hearing that Scawen Vic and Eric did not abandon the ship, and also that theyr still working hard to bring us a PROPER update to an already very advanced simulator is nothin less then good news!!

Scawen, Vic, Eric, thank you for the report!!! and have a good christmas!!

The same goes to all folks in here, lovers and haters, have a good christmas!!!

Sorry for the english, but im already a bit touched by this fine 20 year James Martins bottle!!!!
Quote from Bawbag :Oh wait, I thought this was the progress report from 2008? :S

Yea, looks like a copy and paste job to me.

Oh well, see you bitches in 2013.
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :. Scawen it would be nice if you could release some onboard footage of the work-in-progress model?

Actually i gotta second that.
Quote from th84 :Oh well, see you bitches in 2013.

Yeah, we'll see u in 2013, bitch.
Merry Christmas everyone!

Keep going Devs. I hope at some point you'll decide that it is ok to release what you have and then continue updating from a fairly stable point after patching up, like you used to. Good luck and don't over-indulge on the mince pies and turkey!
Merry Xmas Devs.
Thanks for the report
Was this report copy/pasted from last year?
Quote from texasltu :2010 december - another "we are not dead" message
2011 december - we're almost done!
2012 december - sorry no patch, world ends anyway.

Right!

+
February 2011,Test Drive Unlimited 2 Comes out.:woohoo:.
Xo-xo-xo merry xmas xo-xo-xo :wmann3::leb:
Some people in this thread seems to be unbelievably smart since they say 2 years for developement of the tire physics is way to long and they would do it faster, so I have a question for you.

http://www.lfs.net/page_images/pics/tyre_04.jpg

Which way the wheel rotates at this picture?
A. clockwise
B. counter-clockwise
C. doesn't rotate at all
D. jabba
I would rather have chunks of content than all at once and wait long for it. That new track looked finished on other report. Can we have that?

Keep working on the tire model though, just don't let it stall other content.
Quote from Ales_M :Was this report copy/pasted from last year?

I wish, would make it alot easier for me to complain.

Quote :Most of the remaining development is in the following sections :

- Tyre heating and cooling
- AI driver improvements
- Limited setup system
- Suspension updates
- VW stability control

That's the main ingredients from last year's thread. So...

- Tires - Still WIP as stated.
- AI - Not said - Would assume done but that makes me lol.
- Limited setup system - Same as AI.
- Suspension updates - Same as above.
- VW SC - Same as above.

LFS had always progressed to perfection, and that seemed to fuel everyone on this forum the best. Not only did it make happy drivers, but a more positive forum. Now there is a sudden jump of trying to get it perfect first try. Nothing ever works like that, or life would be much simpler. "Pouring gas on a fire" is all I see from this.

Also reading this:
Quote from Scawen :This thread is going to be here a long time.

makes me feel like we will actually be waiting until 2012. It might sound harsh, but "soon" has so far been 2 years. I don't even think I want to know what "long time" means.
Quote from Amynue :Some people in this thread seems to be unbelievably smart since they say 2 years for developement of the tire physics is way to long and they would do it faster, so I have a question for you.

http://www.lfs.net/page_images/pics/tyre_04.jpg

Which way the wheel rotates at this picture?
A. clockwise
B. counter-clockwise
C. doesn't rotate at all
D. jabba

Without a doubt, it has to be D
This thread is closed

Progress Report December 2010
(1653 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG